View Full Version : Hundreds gather for Kiel Funeral

mistanice
07-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Hundreds gather for Kiel's funeral

Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen
By EDWIN QUARLES
The Lufkin Daily News

Sunday, July 13, 2008

It was a celebration of a life that ended tragically on July 4. It was a celebration of a "fierce competitor," a person that "was always prepared," "someone with an infectious smile" and "a perfect all-around guy."

Hundreds of friends, family members and former teammates and classmates packed the sanctuary at Harmony Hill Baptist Church Saturday at the funeral of former Lufkin Panther Terrence Kiel.

Kiel was killed in a one-car accident in the Scripps Ranch area of San Diego late on July 4.

Kiel, a 1999 Lufkin High School graduate, went on to a successful career at Texas A&M and in the NFL with the San Diego Chargers as a strong safety.

Lufkin head football coach John Outlaw talked about what an awesome competitor Kiel was.

"He was the only kid I've coached in 30 years that I couldn't let practice," Outlaw said. "Once he was on the field he had no friends. I'd have to yell at him, 'Terrence, get off the field.' He'd give me a stare and I'd have to tell him, 'You can't stay out there, you'll hurt somebody.'"

Kiel was part of the class of 1999 at Lufkin, and Outlaw said he was part of the group that put Panther football on the map.

"That class validated our program and gave us credibility," Outlaw said.

Outlaw said that Kiel's #8 Panther jersey will always be special as will the #48 he wore at Texas A&M and in San Diego.

"You can put someone into that jersey with the same number on it, but you'll never put anyone in it with the heart and love for the game that Terrence had," Outlaw said. "Terrence had a tremendous love for other people and is one of the finest players I'll ever get to coach. God bless you Terrence, I love you very much."

Former high school teammates and classmates also spoke, including former Panther wide receiver and teammate Sparky Hamilton.

"I remember him running down on kickoff returns in practice and really laying it to me," Hamilton said. "It's true what coach (Outlaw) said, he was one of the fiercest competitors, but we will also remember him as a friend, teammate, father and a perfect all-around guy."

Former Texas A&M teammates Jarrod Penright and Richard Whitaker also spoke.

"I've never met anyone like him," Whitaker said. "He was a great dude and I can honestly say that his parents raised him right."

"Regardless of all he went through, he was a great person," Penright said. "The Lord has put him at peace and we won't forget about him."

Former Chargers' teammates Randall Godfrey, Drayton Florence, Antonio Gates and Sammie Davis said the loss has been tough on them.

"He was part of our family," Godfrey said. "We would have Thanksgiving dinner together every year and I know he was a man with a lot of heart."

Florence spoke of a different side of Kiel.

"Everyone talks about his heart and how competitive he was, but I was in the classroom with him and I saw how much he studied the game and how he was always prepared," Florence said.

Gates talked about spending time with Kiel off the field and how they went after each other in practice with Kiel being a strong safety and Gates playing tight end.

"He made me a better person and player," Gates said. "I told him that he couldn't guard me and now he'll guard me every day the rest of my life."

Kiel and Davis played together at A&M, and were teammates again in San Diego.

"That was my friend. He taught me so much," Davis said. "Right now, standing here, I'm shaking inside. I can't believe it.

"I love this dude and there's no reason for any of you out there to hang your head. This is a good brother. He had the most infectious smile I've ever seen. It's a blessing to all of you that you knew him."

www.lufkindailynews.com