PDA

View Full Version : Favre asks for release from Packers so he can play with another team

kaorder1999
07-11-2008, 05:23 PM
nice...

pirate4state
07-11-2008, 05:24 PM
you already know what i'm thinking, mkay? :devil: :D LOL

kaorder1999
07-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Favre wants release from Packers

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writers
53 minutes ago

Brett Favre has asked the Packers to release him so he can return to the NFL with another team after apparently being told that his latest retirement reversal wasn't welcome news in Green Bay.

The team said it would do "what's right" in response to Favre's request, which was first reported by ESPN..

"Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms," the team's statement read.

"We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion. Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement. The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

The 38-year-old Favre retired March 6 after a 17-year career, but almost immediately began dropping hints that he was having second thoughts.

The Packers statement said Favre now has the right to petition NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to be reinstated, at which point he would return to the team's active roster.

But the statement did not specify what the Packers would do after that, beyond doing "what's right and in the best interest of the team."

If the team has committed to moving forward without Favre, their options once he was reinstated would include trading him to another team or releasing him so he would be free to sign with the team of his choice. The Packers already have committed to going at quarterback with Aaron Rodgers, a first-round pick in 2005 who has been sitting behind Favre for his first three seasons in the NFL.

Releasing Favre presents the possibility of him signing with NFC North rivals Minnesota or Chicago, where he would be an upgrade over the incumbent QBs. If the Packers traded him, there would be teams outside the division such as Baltimore or Tampa Bay and perhaps Washington that would be interested. There also has been speculation that he could go to Miami for disgruntled defensive end Jason Taylor, the 2006 defensive player of the year.

It would be an ugly end to what has been one of the most celebrated partnerships in recent NFL history.

"As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions," the statement read. "Brett and Deanna will always be a part of the Packers family."

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Friday that sources close to Favre and the team told him agent James "Bus" Cook formally asked the Packers for Favre's release in a letter because the Packers were not receptive about Favre wanting to play again.

kaorder1999
07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
you already know what i'm thinking, mkay? :devil: :D LOL

mmmkkkkayyyy

zebrablue2
07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
nice...

nice and :crazy:..if the man had any doubts in march, he should have waited. going to another team would be :crazy:.. I think favre is :confused:..

popcorn screen
07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Franks and beans.....

Diocletian
07-11-2008, 08:23 PM
so which team would want him bad enough?

prob the best WR core on a crap team is Detroit... i'm sure he has plenty of fans there too hehe

K-MAC Chuck
07-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
so which team would want him bad enough?

prob the best WR core on a crap team is Detroit... i'm sure he has plenty of fans there too hehe

True..but, they're not going to trade him to a team within their division....

solocam
07-11-2008, 09:01 PM
The falcons need a QB,they don't run the west coast offense though,besides that there O line is pathetic,he would get his brains beat in
he should stay retired

sahen
07-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by solocam
The falcons need a QB,they don't run the west coast offense though,besides that there O line is pathetic,he would get his brains beat in
he should stay retired

he did start w/ the falcons though....

Old Tiger
07-11-2008, 09:21 PM
he wants an "unconditional" release which is idiotic

Vikings, Dolphins or Falcons are the only teams I can think of

eagles_victory
07-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I heard Kansas City the Packers arent going to release him they will only trade him to an AFC team who is not on their schedule

piratebg
07-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm kind of thinking the Bears are gonna try to lure them in.

coach
07-12-2008, 12:22 AM
i have heard tampa bay too

Necks_Fan
07-12-2008, 07:16 AM
They should release him. He should sign with Minnesota. Then Aaron Rodgers and co. would get to lose to Favre and the Vikes in week 1. How nice would that be?

Bearkat
07-12-2008, 08:32 AM
What's he worth? The packers aren't just going to release him. They will try to trade him to a team that does not play green bay this year. What will a team be willing to give up for an over-the- hill QB that could retire, again, after one season? I can see this situation ending just like the Barry Sanders-detroit lions situation ended.

Necks_Fan
07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
What's he worth? The packers aren't just going to release him. They will try to trade him to a team that does not play green bay this year. What will a team be willing to give up for an over-the- hill QB that could retire, again, after one season? I can see this situation ending just like the Barry Sanders-detroit lions situation ended. They should respect Favre after all he has done for them and just release him. It's pretty sorry of them to do him this way. Just let him go and play for who he wants.

Bearkat
07-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
They should respect Favre after all he has done for them and just release him. It's pretty sorry of them to do him this way. Just let him go and play for who he wants.

I disagree totally!!! He signed a contract and he has 3 years remaining on his contract. There's no reason the packers should release him and let him play for another team. It would be very stupid on the packers part to just release so he can go elsewhere. What if Peyton Manning decided he wanted to play for the cardinals. Should the colts just release him and let him go? Heck no!!! The team has given favre a contract and he should HONOR the contract. If he doesn't want to play in green bay anymore than he should stay retired.

pirate4state
07-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I disagree totally!!! He signed a contract and he has 3 years remaining on his contract. There's no reason the packers should release him and let him play for another team. It would be very stupid on the packers part to just release so he can go elsewhere. What if Peyton Manning decided he wanted to play for the cardinals. Should the colts just release him and let him go? Heck no!!! The team has given favre a contract and he should HONOR the contract. If he doesn't want to play in green bay anymore than he should stay retired. :iagree:

Necks_Fan
07-12-2008, 09:54 AM
If he doesn't want to play in green bay anymore than he should stay retired. That's just it. He DID want to play for GB and they refused him just about. Now that it is clear that Green Bay doesn't want him, they should release him.

Bearkat
07-12-2008, 10:21 AM
That's just it. He DID want to play for GB and they refused him just about. Now that it is clear that Green Bay doesn't want him, they should release him.

Why release him? That means green bay gets nothing in return. No matter how you look at it, favre is under contract with the packers. Remember, the packers wanted him back after last season. He told them that he was done, so they moved on without him. If the packers don't want him, after he told them that he has nothing left and he's going to retire, they should trade him and get whatever they can for him. An outright release would be a VERY STUPID business move.

LH Panther Mom
07-12-2008, 10:36 AM
That's just it. He DID want to play for GB and they refused him just about. Now that it is clear that Green Bay doesn't want him, they should release him.
:doh: :doh: He told them he RETIRED! They moved on. Why should he get "do overs"?

pirate4state
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: He told them he RETIRED! They moved on. Why should he get "do overs"? Because he's Brett Favre :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :ack!:

STANG RED
07-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Gotta keep in mind that the NFL is a cold and hard business first. The football is just the product.

piratebg
07-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Packers HC and GM say they are not gonna release him and he will not be the starter. I smell a possible trade coming....

Txbroadcaster
07-12-2008, 01:43 PM
:doh: :doh: He told them he RETIRED! They moved on. Why should he get "do overs"?

All depends on who you believe but Farve is saying that GB pressured and pushed him into retiring, GB says they wanted him back

Old Tiger
07-13-2008, 02:52 AM
They should release him. He should sign with Minnesota. Then Aaron Rodgers and co. would get to lose to Favre and the Vikes in week 1. How nice would that be? gay

Old Tiger
07-13-2008, 02:54 AM
That's just it. He DID want to play for GB and they refused him just about. Now that it is clear that Green Bay doesn't want him, they should release him. maybe he should have quit screwing around every off season witht aht bullcrap retirement crap.....he put the packers through more drama than what they should have been hving......screw brett favre

easttexas3a
07-13-2008, 03:26 AM
Favre would be a great addition to the Vikings, problem is no way GB ever trades him in division, hell I'm not sure they will let him stay in conference.

pirate4state
07-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Roethlisberger just channeled Ricky Bobby! :doh: 'winners get to do what they want' that's pretty much what he is saying..."Brett Favre is Brett Farve and he can do whatever he wants" ummmmm, NO.

Go driver your motorcylce around some more Ben! :rolleyes:

Necks_Fan
07-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Go driver your motorcylce around some more Ben! :rolleyes: That's pretty bad to make jokes about something like that when he almost died the first time.:hand:

pirate4state
07-13-2008, 10:33 AM
:rolleyes: That's pretty bad to make jokes about something like that when he almost died the first time.:hand: Yeah I know. He'll be so hurt when he reads about it! GMAB.

LH Panther Mom
07-13-2008, 11:28 AM
:rolleyes: That's pretty bad to make jokes about something like that when he almost died the first time.:hand:
There's a really good reason why motorcycle helmets are made. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Necks_Fan
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
There's a really good reason why motorcycle helmets are made. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: So because he didn't wear a helmet makes it ok to make jokes about a situation where a guy almost died?

I already knew her mod buddies would come to her defense on that one. I just don't agree with what she said. It's like telling somebody to get cancer again because you don't like what they said. Just the way I see it. I already know I'm fighting an uphill battle and will be barraged by you two as well as others but so what.

I just think that was a little messed up.

LH Panther Mom
07-13-2008, 12:47 PM
So because he didn't wear a helmet makes it ok to make jokes about a situation where a guy almost died?

It's like telling somebody to get cancer again because you don't like what they said. Just the way I see it. I already know I'm fighting an uphill battle and will be barraged by you two as well as others but so what.

I just think that was a little messed up.
Cancer is nowhere close to the same thing. From what I remembered (and just looked again), he didn't almost die, but I wouldn't wish his injuries on anyone. He put his OWN life at risk by not wearing a helmet, even after Cowher had lectured him about it.

I already knew her mod buddies would come to her defense on that one. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Necks_Fan
07-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Cancer is nowhere close to the same thing. From what I remembered (and just looked again), he didn't almost die, but I wouldn't wish his injuries on anyone. He put his OWN life at risk by not wearing a helmet, even after Cowher had lectured him about it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I never said what he did was intelligent. I just said that it was messed up to say that. I guess multiple fractures in the head doesn't constitute as life threatening......:confused:

pirate4state
07-13-2008, 05:01 PM
So because he didn't wear a helmet makes it ok to make jokes about a situation where a guy almost died?

Yes, he cost me major fantasy points that year! :mad:

LH Panther Mom
07-13-2008, 05:19 PM
I never said what he did was intelligent. I just said that it was messed up to say that. I guess multiple fractures in the head doesn't constitute as life threatening......:confused:
No, I wouldn't consider them life threatening....serious, yes.

"According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement."

link (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html)

Necks_Fan
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
No, I wouldn't consider them life threatening....serious, yes.

"According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement."

link (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html) Ok, next time you crash your motorcycle and go face first into the ground and get all that, then tell me it wasn't life threatening.

Old Tiger
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Ok, next time you crash your motorcycle and go face first into the ground and get all that, then tell me it wasn't life threatening. i think it was a windshield.....

it's only life threatening if there is damage to the brain

Emerson1
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

Just when I think you have made your stupidest comment ever...

Necks_Fan
07-13-2008, 06:24 PM
i think it was a windshield.....

1. Windshield, then ground

2. Since when? And he had a ton of damage to his head, maybe not the actual brain but he was messed up regardless.

Emerson1
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
1. Windshield, then ground

2. Since when? And he had a ton of damage to his head, maybe not the actual brain but he was messed up regardless.
Didn't you know, you can band-aid up a slit artery

LH Panther Mom
07-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Ok, next time you crash your motorcycle and go face first into the ground and get all that, then tell me it wasn't life threatening.
Flying through the air and smashing your head into a windshield is going to cause serious injuries and can be life threatening, depending upon the severity. The injuries as stated did not seem to be life threatening. He knew his name, tried numerous times to get up, but people there stopped him. There were no injuries to parts of his body or organs that would be "LIFE" threatening.

I don't ride motorcycles, but I did have a good friend many years ago severely screw himself up on one. Drunk, driving too fast, on icy streets in Abilene, wearning no helmet, he turned a corner. The motorcycle hit an icy patch and he smashed his head into the curb. He was in a coma for several days, and was "not right" after he came out of it. Coma, I consider life threatening...knocking your teeth out of your face, not so much.

3afan
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM

certainly you're not really THAT dumb .....

pirate4state
07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
And he had a ton of damage to his head, maybe not the actual brain but he was messed up regardless.

Exactly. That's why I made the comment that has caused you so much grief. :bigcry:

Hey, at least we aren't talking about Brett Favre! :thumbsup:

ronwx5x
07-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Exactly. That's why I made the comment that has caused you so much grief. :bigcry:

Hey, at least we aren't talking about Brett Favre! :thumbsup:

I remember, in another thread, the Mom's comments about "pissing contests" and PMS.

Does this thread not qualify?

:devil: :taunt: :stirpot:

pirate4state
07-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I remember, in another thread, the Mom's comments about "pissing contests" and PMS.

Does this thread not qualify?

:devil: :taunt: :stirpot:

If you want it to qualify, then sure. I'm not the one who is upset. Oh & I'm not a mom & I'm pretty sure I'm not PMS'ing, so yeah! :D

ronwx5x
07-13-2008, 09:21 PM
If you want it to qualify, then sure. I'm not the one who is upset. Oh & I'm not a mom & I'm pretty sure I'm not PMS'ing, so yeah! :D

I'm not upset, I just found it hilarious. Men aren't the only ones.:) I left that previous thread five hours before you closed it so I sure never took it personally .:inlove:

kaorder1999
07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
man..i really missed out on this one.

I believe the GM and the head coach on this one. I promis you they wanted him back but once he said he was done for sure they went ahead and started making preps for the future of the franchise without Favre. They don't owe him anything right now and if they dont want to release him they sure as heck have the right not to since he is still under contract.

pirate4state
07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I'm not upset, I just found it hilarious. Men aren't the only ones.:) I left that previous thread five hours before you closed it so I sure never took it personally .:inlove:

I'm not sure what you mean, but whatever.

espn1
07-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, but whatever. I think he's try to reference the pink hole phenomenon.:D :D :D

pirate4state
07-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by espn1
I think he's try to reference the pink hole phenomenon.:D :D :D Yeah alot of yall have that problem! :eek: :devil: :eek:

Old Tiger
07-14-2008, 01:34 AM
i didn't know a broken jaw/sinus cavity was life threatening?

I didn't know a lasceration on the back of the head was life threatening?

he had no neck/spinal injuries

also the news people indicated his injuries "were serious but not life threatening"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
07-14-2008, 09:20 AM

I already knew her mod buddies would come to her defense on that one.

Excuse me?? This is the FIRST time I have even posted on this thread! Don't drag me into it!!

pirate4state
07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Excuse me?? This is the FIRST time I have even posted on this thread! Don't drag me into it!! LOL. I don't know what I need defending in either? :confused: Who cares? I made a smart ass remark (shocker! :o ) and he didn't like it and here we are! :D

Emerson1
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
i didn't know a broken jaw/sinus cavity was life threatening?

I didn't know a lasceration on the back of the head was life threatening?

he had no neck/spinal injuries

also the news people indicated his injuries "were serious but not life threatening"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A jaw injury isn't life threatening, but that isn't what you said. You said the only way you can die is if you have brain damage. You made yourself look like and idiot, now just accept that and be at peace.

Ranger Mom
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
A jaw injury isn't life threatening, but that isn't what you said. You said the only way you can die is if you have brain damage. You made yourself look like and idiot, now just accept that and be at peace.

I had an old schoolmate who was involved in a motorcycle wreck...he WAS wearing a helmet, but when his bike went into a skid, it threw him up against a telephone pole and ruptured his spleen.....which ultimately killed him!!

Old Tiger
07-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
A jaw injury isn't life threatening, but that isn't what you said. You said the only way you can die is if you have brain damage. You made yourself look like and idiot, now just accept that and be at peace. i believe they were talking about his head hitting the windshield.....and i said the only way it'd be life threatening is if there was brain damage...

DDBooger
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
(shocker! :o )

:doh: no, no, NO!

LOL...you beat me to it!! ~RM~