PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch the Rangers game last night?

waterboy
07-10-2008, 07:51 AM
How about them Rangers? Trailing 4-2 going into the 9th, the Rangers got to the best reliever in baseball, K-Rod of the Angels, who had 35 saves out of 37 (now 38) opportunities already this year. After Vasquez drew a lead-off walk, Ian Kinsler struck out and Catalanotto grounded into a fielder's choice moving Vasquez to 2nd base. Next, Michael Young hits a single, driving in Vasquez, making the score 4-3 with 2 outs. That brought up Josh Hamilton. After Young steals second base, Hamilton drives a 3-1 pitch just over the right field fence giving the Rangers a dramatic 2-out, come from behind, 5-4 win.:clap: :clap:

Awesome win for the Rangers! Keep up the good play!:clap:

Bearkat
07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Great win for the RANGERS!!! This team is a lot of fun to watch. It's nice to see some of the young prospects getting playing time.

Rabbit'93
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
awesome game......

Macarthur
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I almost woke the kids up! Great game. You know, the Rangers aren't going to win the west or even get the wildcard. However, all I think we can hope for is that when Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight shows the graphic, if the Rangers can at least just be on the list. That's a great accomplishment for this team.

I'm telling you, Ron Washington should get some talk about Manager of the year. It is amazing what he has done with that pitching staff.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I almost woke the kids up! Great game. You know, the Rangers aren't going to win the west or even get the wildcard. However, all I think we can hope for is that when Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight shows the graphic, if the Rangers can at least just be on the list. That's a great accomplishment for this team.

I'm telling you, Ron Washington should get some talk about Manager of the year. It is amazing what he has done with that pitching staff.

I think the Rangers have a chance at the West. 6.5 back (5.5 if we win tonight), and more home games after the break than any other team. The way we're coming together, there's a definitely chance. I'm a believer in the University of Washington, and believe all should hail the Great Hambino and Board Game.

crzyjournalist03
07-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Just the fact that people are able to debate whether the Rangers are in the race at the All-Star break is a testament to their determination after starting 7-16.

waterboy
07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Do y'all realize that since an 8-16 start to the season, the Rangers have a 40-28 record. If they can continue this pace I think they have a chance to make the playoffs. They must beat the teams in their division in head-to-head matchups, though. They have more home games in the second half than any other team in baseball which increases their chances exponentially, too.

Txbroadcaster
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Do y'all realize that since an 8-16 start to the season, the Rangers have a 40-28 record. If they can continue this pace I think they have a chance to make the playoffs. They must beat the teams in their division in head-to-head matchups, though. They have more home games in the second half than any other team in baseball which increases their chances exponentially, too.

The one thing keeping them afloat is there 16-11 record agianst the West..only them and Angels have winning records agianst West

waterboy
07-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The one thing keeping them afloat is there 16-11 record agianst the West..only them and Angels have winning records agianst West
I think they must continue to beat the Angels and A's in the second half, too. That's the quickest and best way to make up games in a tight race. That's been a big problem of the Rangers in the past, not being able to beat teams within their division, first and foremost, then beat the teams they SHOULD beat consistently. Things are looking up this year, though.

Macarthur
07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I think the Rangers have a chance at the West. 6.5 back (5.5 if we win tonight), and more home games after the break than any other team. The way we're coming together, there's a definitely chance. I'm a believer in the University of Washington, and believe all should hail the Great Hambino and Board Game.

I don't.

I love your enthusiasm, but they can not maintain this with what they have been throwing out there on the mound for a full season. Dude, you have to admit they have been doing this with smoke and mirrors. Don't be fooled by the last two games; the Angels 5 starting pitchers are all arguably better than the Rangers best (Millwood). There's a reason why the Angels are 17 games above .500; they are really good.

The thing to take from this is that they seem to have some young kids that can play and that the team is playing hard for Wash. The thing they must get going forward is that a couple of these young pitchers need to continue to develop and I think they need to make a splash in FA next year. Maybe AJ Burnett ( if he opts out at the end of the year) or a John Garland; I'm also beginning to thing we should give serious thought to giving Milton Bradley a mult-year deal. If they could do two moves like that and the kids continue to develop, with the arrival of Andrus (moving Young to 3B), this team could legitimately contend possibly next year but definately in 2010.

crzyjournalist03
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I think they must continue to beat the Angels and A's in the second half, too. That's the quickest and best way to make up games in a tight race. That's been a big problem of the Rangers in the past, not being able to beat teams within their division, first and foremost, then beat the teams they SHOULD beat consistently. Things are looking up this year, though.

now that the A's have thrown in the towel, I expect the Rangers to pass them within a couple of weeks. I'd say next week, but the All-star break makes it a short week.

I know that Harden hadn't pitched the entire season, but I don't think it can be underestimated the effect that trading your staff's "ace" and one of your best bullpen arms will have on the team. Then again, I was predicting them to lose 100 games at the beginning of the year, so they could always prove me wrong again.

Macarthur
07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
now that the A's have thrown in the towel, I expect the Rangers to pass them within a couple of weeks. I'd say next week, but the All-star break makes it a short week.

I know that Harden hadn't pitched the entire season, but I don't think it can be underestimated the effect that trading your staff's "ace" and one of your best bullpen arms will have on the team. Then again, I was predicting them to lose 100 games at the beginning of the year, so they could always prove me wrong again.

I would be careful in counting out the A's. Billy Bean knows what he is doing. He gets questioned every year for letting guys go like Zito (how's he done?), Mulder, Heren, etc. Yet, they always seem to be in it in the end.

BwdLions
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I would be careful in counting out the A's. Billy Bean knows what he is doing. He gets questioned every year for letting guys go like Zito (how's he done?), Mulder, Heren, etc. Yet, they always seem to be in it in the end.

The As don't have any great players left. They have a couple of above-average pitchers, but everyone else is gone. They're done.

Macarthur
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
The As don't have any great players left. They have a couple of above-average pitchers, but everyone else is gone. They're done.

They never have "great" players. They have players that work within their system. I'm telling ya, don't forget about them. I don't think they will win the west, but I think it's folly to just discard. Teams don't trade their best player when they are still in the race unless they have a plan. :cool:

CenTexSports
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
The Rangers need to put a lid on "The Ballpark" and install 4 or 5 jet propelled fans in the outfield wall that only come on at the top of an inning and go off automatically after the last visitor out. This would have two effects: 1) it would cool off the players and stop the August wilt that the Rangers are famous for 2) it would help the hapless pitching staff that they always seem to end up with.

Just the fact that one of the previous posters identified Millwood as the Ranger's best, says it all.

I have been a Ranger fan since 1971 (also a Ft. Worth Stranger fan) but I don't see this season being the one with a chance to get to the AL Championship let alone the WS.

eagles_victory
07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
The starting pitching problems are flaring up right now

pirate4state
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
they are getting drilled 10-4 :eek:

eagles_victory
07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
they are getting drilled 10-4 :eek: 10-6 Ian is having a great season but man he makes some overaggressive baserunning decisions oh well though wouldnt trade him for another 2nd basemen in the AL.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
they are getting drilled 10-4 :eek: :D These are the 2008 Rangers, thats not a big enough of lead for the Angels :D

10-10 going to the 8th

zebrablue2
07-11-2008, 07:06 AM
angels win 11-10 in 11 innings..