PDA

View Full Version : Texas Loses 2008 recruit Antoine Hicks

Phil C
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
:(

He was QB at Mansfield Timberview High School and was recruited as a wide receiver. He just barely missed out because of grades. He wants to go to Oregon, Oklahoma State, Florida or Houston. It is a shame because many are filled up in scholarships. He did get interest from Wisconsin and Navarro Junior College. I think he might ought to consider the Junior College if grades are a problem because you can work on getting your grades up and get electives out of the way and then transfer to a Division 1 college later.
I really hated to lose him. :(

Dogman_1969
07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Took my son to the Mack Brown camp last month and coach Brown's first question when addressing the kids about coming to Texas was "How many of you guys have a 4.0?" There was a small show of hands. "How many of you have a 3.0?" a few more went up. Coach Brown then said "Guys if you don't have at least a 3.0 then you can't attend Texas."

D1 schools are now loosing scholarships due to grades and kids who do not graduate. Times are changing................

Emerson1
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
:(

He was QB at Mansfield Timberview High School and was recruited as a wide receiver. He just barely missed out because of grades. He wants to go to Oregon, Oklahoma State, Florida or Houston. It is a shame because many are filled up in scholarships. He did get interest from Wisconsin and Navarro Junior College. I think he might ought to consider the Junior College if grades are a problem because you can work on getting your grades up and get electives out of the way and then transfer to a Division 1 college later.
I really hated to lose him. :(
JC is where players go to kill their football careers

You have to be a complete idiot not to get into a good school if they are recruiting you.

Phil C
07-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Roger Stauback went to a JC school for one year and did all right.

injuredinmelee
07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Roger Stauback went to a JC school for one year and did all right.

name more than two since Roger that have gone the JC route and been successful?

Macarthur
07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Actually there are guys that do okay going through JC. More don't than do, but it happens.

Old Tiger
07-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Eddie George went to a prep academy before attending college

Phil C
07-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Eddie Brown and Pat Williams.

Also O.J. went ot a JC before playing for USC two years.

BwdLions
07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
There are several JC players that turn out to be very productive after tranferring to D-! schools. However, for the most part, you see JC guys finishing up their college careers at places like ou. Most upper-tier colleges just don't take chances with them.

CenTexSports
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Cortez Kenedy went to NW Mississippi CC before going on to a pretty good pro carreer.

CenTexSports
07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Cortez Kenedy went to NW Mississippi CC before going on to a pretty good pro carreer. I think you might be suprised how many really do.

LH Panther Mom
07-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Eddie George went to a prep academy before attending college
I'm not all hip on what exactly the purpose for prep academy is, but from the little I've read, it seems to be more like "super" high school than JC. :confused:

PHS Wildcats
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM

From Trinity Valley Community College alone:

Drew Coleman - New York Jets
Rock Cartwright - Washington Redskins
*Matt Bryant - Tampa Bay Bucs
*Kynan Forney - Atlanta Falcons
*Al Harris - Green Bay Packers

These for are still playing in the League

Since 1986 TVCC has had 22 players drafted in the NFL

11 were drafted from our '94 National Championship including the 3 with an * by there name. I wasn't one of them, but I did get a full scholarship to Tarleton State were I finished my football career and got my degree in Business Management:clap:

wedo
07-10-2008, 07:38 AM

Chad Johson, steve Smith

BreckTxLonghorn
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
There are several JC players that turn out to be very productive after tranferring to D-! schools. However, for the most part, you see JC guys finishing up their college careers at places like ou. Most upper-tier colleges just don't take chances with them.

Texas takes them, too. Just not as much anymore with the worry about graduation rates affecting scholarships.

Larry Fitzgerald went to a prep school/military academy before he went to Pitt.

RedWhiteBlue
07-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Texas takes them, too. Just not as much anymore with the worry about graduation rates affecting scholarships.

Larry Fitzgerald went to a prep school/military academy before he went to Pitt.
Am I wrong, but aren't a great deal of parents sending their kids to military academys for disciplinary reasons these days? I have lots of parents ask me about them. I think Texas needs to stay way clear of those kids (ifin' you know what I mean!) and I love the Horns!!!!;)

BwdLions
07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

Larry Fitzgerald went to a prep school/military academy before he went to Pitt. \

Name any JC players Texas has signed. If you can find one in Mack Brown's tenure (since 1998), then I'd like to know because I can't remember any.

BwdLions
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I just checked Texas current roster and there are no JC or CC (Community College) transfers. They all came straight from high school. I checked the current ou roster and there are 16 players from either a JC or CC. I did not count the ones on ou's roster that transferred from another four year school. ;)