PDA

View Full Version : Pee Wee Coaches

Rabbit'93
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Any here?

I've been approached to help coach my kids peewee team and was curious what offense you'ved had success with?

RedWhiteBlue
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Any here?

I've been approached to help coach my kids peewee team and was curious what offense you'ved had success with?
Don't do it unless you get a waiver signed by all the guardians that you can beat their children any time you feel like they need it. Just my opinion.....;) Oh and I guess you are talking about football?

espn1
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Don't do it unless you get a waiver signed by all the guardians that you can beat their children any time you feel like they need it. Just my opinion.....;) Oh and I guess you are talking about football? Are there any special rules the defense has to follow.

espn1
07-09-2008, 01:59 PM
The reaso I'm asking is that if the defense has to line up head to head with the offense, then spread your line out wide about an arms length. Then run a simple wishbone and you already have your holes. Another way to get an automatic 2 point conversion is to run a QB sneak on goose. It really blows a 5th graders mind.:D :D :D

BreckTxLonghorn
07-09-2008, 02:09 PM
I think unless there's specific rules for defensive/offense alignments, you have two options:

1) Run whatever the high school runs simplified. It starts the kids off right with learning the correct terminology and how its run, and you usually see this ocurring with top tier programs (ie Southlake, and I think Celina--maybe LH too? Anyone know)

2) If you don't know the system will still be there by the time they go to HS, run Basic I. The whole point of pee wee ball, imo, is to teach kids the game. Give the fullback a number (4), tailback (2), QB (1), and running game is directly combo of that and the hole ie. 41 slam, 26ot, 128 option, etc. Passing, come up with 8 wr routes, 8 te routes, and use 3 digits to combine drop & routes. Right Past 305 for ex would be 3 step drop, streak by tight end (0 rt), 5 & out for wr. Easy to understand, and it teaches the core elements to each group (steps for QB, holes for OL/RBs, Routes for TE/WRs, and straight up blocking for OL). If they grasp well, add sweeps and playactions as the season goes on.

Just my opinion. Have fun!

BILLYFRED0000
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Any here?

Celina's offense has worked well for my first and second graders...... parts of it.

power eye wishbone not much passing.

We do run sweeps and reverses as well. Blocking seems to be the main problem as the plays take time to develop. Best thing to do is have your oline double up in the direction of the run in front of them and run up your line looking for a hole. Just let the kids run inside and off tackle and let them see the hole and how it opens. For sweeps you can always wing and have the wing seal off and let the backs lead with the qb running.

ronwx5x
07-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I think unless there's specific rules for defensive/offense alignments, you have two options:

1) Run whatever the high school runs simplified. It starts the kids off right with learning the correct terminology and how its run, and you usually see this ocurring with top tier programs (ie Southlake, and I think Celina--maybe LH too? Anyone know)

2) If you don't know the system will still be there by the time they go to HS, run Basic I. The whole point of pee wee ball, imo, is to teach kids the game. Give the fullback a number (4), tailback (2), QB (1), and running game is directly combo of that and the hole ie. 41 slam, 26ot, 128 option, etc. Passing, come up with 8 wr routes, 8 te routes, and use 3 digits to combine drop & routes. Right Past 305 for ex would be 3 step drop, streak by tight end (0 rt), 5 & out for wr. Easy to understand, and it teaches the core elements to each group (steps for QB, holes for OL/RBs, Routes for TE/WRs, and straight up blocking for OL). If they grasp well, add sweeps and playactions as the season goes on.

Just my opinion. Have fun!

If you think that is easy to understand, you have a better brain than I have!

BILLYFRED0000
07-09-2008, 02:22 PM
How bout this play from last year.

Tackle over 36 double lead fake 27 boot.

espn1
07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
How bout this play from last year.

Tackle over 36 double lead fake 27 boot. on 2

BILLYFRED0000
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by espn1
on 2

That's usually good for one or two offsides a half.

piratebg
07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
No motion? :D

espn1
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
That's usually good for one or two offsides a half. That's when we run bleachers until we get it right.

icu812
07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Any here?

Yes I've coached 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th and now 5th/6th graders. I run the single wing on offense. The spinner, dirrect snaps to 3 different players and unbalanced line really messes things up for most youth defenses. The kids can do more than you think they can. Teach your lineman to pull, trap and wedge block, they can do it and it makes it more fun for the lineman. On D run a goal line defense. I like the Gap 8 or wide tackle 6. If I was forced by rule to play head up D I think I'd play a 7 diamond. Good luck.