PDA

View Full Version : 3A top Running Back (players to watch)

footballgal
07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Port Isabel High School
Senior RB
DIEGO GARCIA

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8817/diegogarcia07vk9.th.jpg

LH Panther Mom
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
2008 will be the typical "race for 2000 yards" in Liberty Hill. I have a pretty good idea on "who", but as usual, ALL positions here are up for grabs at this point. :)

footballgal
07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeap I imagine so!

In PI this season, it should be back to it's trademark of having a good backfield with depth. Diego should be the go to guy, but as the season starts, we'll see who will be the other two/three guys and also who will actually get the first touchs of each game. Others that IMO will make a contribution are; Rollie Alaniz, Joe Vega, Jude Green & Medrano.

K-MAC Chuck
07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
2008 will be the typical "race for 2000 yards" in Liberty Hill. I have a pretty good idea on "who", but as usual, ALL positions here are up for grabs at this point. :)

I hear some kid named Brandon Terry is going to get some looks at fullback..:devil: :inlove: :eek:

K-MAC Chuck
07-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Whether this kid gets 2,000 yards or not at LHHS, I'll give you one of the great "names" of the season out of a high school backfield:

Liberty Hill's Jimmy Johnson

That's enough to make you a NASCAR fan right there! :clap: :cool:

Brahma84
07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Garrett Nunn- Bellville
Last season he rushed for 1,520 yds. Dave Campbell's has him listed as a "money player". (5'10'', 220, 4.5)

BobcatBenny
07-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Snyder and Vernon usually come up with a decent running back or two.

Old Tiger
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Easy.....the best RB in the state(any classification), except for maybe Christian Michael, Madisonville's Chris Whaley.

6'3 220 4.5
Rivals 100(87)

261att
2,119 yards
8.1 ypc
28 td's

navscanmaster
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Easy.....the best RB in the state(any classification) Chris Whaley

Not trying to be a homer, but comparing dp and cw side by side, what do you see in cw that puts him over the top against dp? I see them both having good hands and being nearly identical runners. I think DP is better at shaking off arm tackles by changing his shoulder-pad angle, whereas CW just bulls through.

DaHop72
07-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Easy.....the best RB in the state(any classification), except for maybe Christian Michael, Madisonville's Chris Whaley.

6'3 220 4.5
Rivals 100(87)

261att
2,119 yards
8.1 ypc
28 td's So right in the middle of your post you changed your mind.:thinking: :thinking: :devil:

Old Tiger
07-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Not trying to be a homer, but comparing dp and cw side by side, what do you see in cw that puts him over the top against dp? I see them both having good hands and being nearly identical runners. I think DP is better at shaking off arm tackles by changing his shoulder-pad angle, whereas CW just bulls through. IMO Pratt's weight is a bit scewed....he looks more leaner than his posted weight...Whaley looks every bit of 220-230.

Maybe I like the fact he brings the boom when running.

Also Pratt is getting recruited for defense, not RB, where as Whaley is going to Texas for RB.

injuredinmelee
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I think Wylie's Gilmore and Perkins will both have good seasons. Neither will break 1000 because thats just the style of offense Sandifer uses but I bet they combine for over 1500.

CenTexSports
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
I have a performance question. I was talking to a coach the other day and one of his kids did a 9' 8" standing broad jump. He said that that was a lot.

First, is that alot?

Second, what skill does that relate to on the field?

Old Tiger
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
So right in the middle of your post you changed you mind.:thinking: :thinking: :devil: well i was thinking 3a when i first typed then I thought about Michaels in the the 4a ranks....

Old Tiger
07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I have a performance question. I was talking to a coach the other day and one of his kids did a 9' 8" standing broad jump. He said that that was a lot.

First, is that alot?

Second, what skill does that relate to on the field? explosion....

here is a link to the NFL combines top performances in the broad jump

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-broad-jump

navscanmaster
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
IMO Pratt's weight is a bit scewed....he looks more leaner than his posted weight...Whaley looks every bit of 220-230.

Maybe I like the fact he brings the boom when running.

Also Pratt is getting recruited for defense, not RB, where as Whaley is going to Texas for RB.

DP is at least 215 pounds. When I see him up close, he is as tall as me, and I am 6' 1.5" with shoes off. I think his height and weight are correct. DP is getting recruited as a RB, but they LIKE the potential he has at LB. I am getting tired of acronyms now.....

Old Tiger
07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
DP is at least 215 pounds. When I see him up close, he is as tall as me, and I am 6' 1.5" with shoes off. I think his height and weight are correct. DP is getting recruited as a RB, but they LIKE the potential he has at LB. I am getting tired of acronyms now..... rivals list him as 227 lbs.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=68940

he looks about 205-215 like you say

lion75
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Snyder and Vernon usually come up with a decent running back or two. That Whiteside kid (6-1, 190, 4.4) might be pretty well seasoned after starting at OLB as a soph for 15 games and starting both ways last year for 14 games. His OL is supposed to be bigger this year. If they can block, then I would expect him to have another 1,390 yard season at least.

jlg043
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Navasota has a nice field! Does Rockdale have to play Chris Waley this year? I know we are going to play that Pratt fella but that would suck if we had to play two of the best RB's in 3a in one year.

rancher
07-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Better take a close look at Garett Nunn from Bellville not only does he have size #220, but he is also a very powerful runner who has speed. He finished 2nd in the district in the 100 meters and also qualified for the region finals I believe.

jlg043
07-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
Navasota has a nice field! Does Rockdale have to play Chris Waley this year? I know we are going to play that Pratt fella but that would suck if we had to play two of the best RB's in 3a in one year.

I just found the schedule. Thats crazy to have two RB's like that in the same district. I would like to watch the Madisonville/Navasota game.

orange machine
07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Im gonna brag on our boys because they are getting no love at all, but Waldrep and McCartney should be freakin awsome this year. Both of these guys are good ball players and have gotten huge over the summer.:eek:

footballgal
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
I will never understand that, how some boys come back from summer alot bigger?? That's 2-3 months, do boys shoot up that fast??

Matthew328
07-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I went from 5'8 to 6'0 in one summer.....happens all the time...mom had to buy two sets of clothes for me that summer because I grew so fast LOL

cshscougar08
07-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I would say it's a toss up between Pratt and Whaley. But yes I would throw in Waldrep and McCartney in that conversation as well. They were awesome last year and if they have gotten huge like machine says, then watch out.

footballgal
07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I went from 5'8 to 6'0 in one summer.....happens all the time...mom had to buy two sets of clothes for me that summer because I grew so fast LOL

lol, I know that happened to me when I was like 11 or 12, but after that not much growing. But then again I not very tall I am only 5"2 1/2. I guess kids that will be taller probably expierence that.

ok I need a clarification when it was said HUGE does that mean mass size, or height wise?

Matthew328
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Huge can mean both, when you said shoot up I thought you meant height though LOL

footballgal
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I did ... :)

navscanmaster
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I would say it's a toss up between Pratt and Whaley. But yes I would throw in Waldrep and McCartney in that conversation as well. They were awesome last year and if they have gotten huge like machine says, then watch out.

If you look at stats only, you see that Pratt averaged almost 10 yards per carry, and Whaley averaged 8.1. However, Whaley was and is Madisonville's offense, and Pratt is only half of Navasota's offense. There was a game against Palestine Westwood last year where Whaley had 38 carries for 404 yards and 6 TDs, and a game for Navasota against Smithville where Pratt had 18 carries for 366 yards and 3 TDs.
But we all know that you can't look at stats alone. What I see from the two of them:

Whaley - Running downhill, the boy is almost unstoppable. Makes good cuts, has good peripheral vision, runs through arm tackles, and has decent hands. Weaker when running side-side, such as options and sweeps with any kind of defensive attempt at containment that doesn't allow him to square his shoulders up and run downfield. When watching the week 0 matchup of Navasota v Palestine last year, in which Madisonville won 28-13, Whaley had 28 carries for 124 yards. They didn't run too many plays right at Navasota's line, which probably would have resulted in more yards/carry knowing the Rattler D last year.

Pratt - Good at finding holes or seams in opposing defenses and exploiting them. Runs through arm tackles and has a great shoulder-angle move that even makes form-tacklers fall off. Has excellent hands in the passing game. With a lead blocker, can run against 8-9 in the box and still find the chains. Averaged just shy of 10 yards per carry last year, and mostly sat out games against Coldspring (9-45 yds) and Bellville (6-27 yds) with a high ankle sprain.

As far as Garrett Nunn from Bellville goes, he has so much potential it is ridiculous. To really put him on the recruiting radar this season, he should be utliized in the passing game this year to show recruiters his blocking ability and hands. By his senior year, he could be raising more hype than Whaley or Pratt.

Necks_Fan
07-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Dexter Downey- Sealy

ray1123
07-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Chris Coe - Luling

Had a great year last year despite being keyed on by every defense he faced. Very shifty and should be a force with the addition of a passing game to compliment him.

Bull's-eye
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Brahma84
Garrett Nunn- Bellville
Last season he rushed for 1,520 yds. Dave Campbell's has him listed as a "money player". (5'10'', 220, 4.5)

Very impressive numbers, considering Bellville didn't advance in the playoffs. Looking for a big season from Nunn.

JR2004
07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I like our backfield at Madison and wouldn't trade them for any single back in the state. As a group they're probably the most talented we've had since we started winning again in 2004.

HEMOTOXIC
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Not trying to be a homer, but comparing dp and cw side by side, what do you see in cw that puts him over the top against dp? I see them both having good hands and being nearly identical runners. I think DP is better at shaking off arm tackles by changing his shoulder-pad angle, whereas CW just bulls through.

I think that because a rb has more yards doesn't make him a better running back. In comparing DP to Whaley, they play in two very different offenses. The Rattlers run about 55% and throw about 45% give or take. On the other hand, the Mustangs run the ball 90-95% of the time. Both are good, Im not sure who is better at this point.

CueroDad08
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I think the post starts out with "players to watch" Most on this list so far are guys who had good years last year,and most already know about them. I think Cuero has two kids who have yet to play on the varsity leval. And I will say look out for these two kids.

Brent Johnson (3rd leg on Both State Champion relays)
Cole Pargmann ( very fast, downhill runner)

Snydertigersrul
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Chase Arrendale of Snyder. He will run for at least 2,000, mark it down.

LH Panther Mom
07-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
I hear some kid named Brandon Terry is going to get some looks at fullback..:devil: :inlove: :eek: :evillol: :evillol: :evillol: That would be fun!

footballgal
07-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
I think the post starts out with "players to watch" ... I think Cuero has two kids who have yet to play on the varsity leval. And I will say look out for these two kids.

Brent Johnson (3rd leg on Both State Champion relays)
Cole Pargmann ( very fast, downhill runner)

+1

KL3
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
As I've posted before, Dave Campbell's has these 3 as the top RB's in 3A.

1. Whaley - Madisonville
2. Pratt - Navasota
3. Nunn - Bellville