PDA

View Full Version : Fond Memories of Two a Days

blowfish
07-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Is it me or do any of you "old" high school footballers still get a chill down your spine on August mornings remembering those dreaded Two a Days in the West Texas heat.

CenTexSports
07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
My first day of 2 a days is one I will never forget (I may have posted this before).

I lived out in the country (about 10 miles from town) and Dad told the coach that for me to play, I would have to have a coach take me home.

I got up that first morning and Mom fixed me a big breakfast (three eggs, bacon, toast and three glasses of WHOLE milk: straight from our cow). I went to practice and at the end of the first practice, I drank ten gallons (it seemed like it anyway) of water from the water hose on the field.

After changing, the head coach/AD told me he would be taking me home. I don't remember what kind of car it was but it looked alot like one of the current PT Cruisers and it was an ugly green. Anyway, we got from the fieldhouse to the Square in Weatherford when I got very, very sick. I threw up in the floor board of the car and then again on the road around the courthouse.

Needless to say two things came out of this experience:

1) The HC never drove me home again.
2) I never ate a big breakfast before practice again and in fact, I have not been a breakfast person since then.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh I still remember the 6am wakeups and driving to the field house for 5 hours of pain. Dreaded it for 3 years. Not the 4th, though.

I'll really never forget my last year. It didn't matter the heat, the conditions, the length: I woke up every day excited for practice. I even lifted weights after the two-a-days. I can honestly say that there was not one practice my whole senior year that I didn't look forward to. I miss it, every second of it. I'd give almost anything to be in that shape again, and running to jam the force back over and over and over in 95 degree heat at 9am after already practicing for 2 hours and a 15 min break, and with the humidity from the water sprinklers early 'gift' slapping me in the face.

You seniors, enjoy the last year whether you play college ball or not. Nothing, in my opinion, will ever be as pure as high school football, and there's nothing more memorable than that last year.

Maroon87
07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
Is it me or do any of you "old" high school footballers still get a chill down your spine on August mornings remembering those dreaded Two a Days in the West Texas heat.

Try it in the South Texas heat with 90% humidity...:eek:

In a strange way I actually do miss two a days.

LH Panther Mom
07-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Oh I still remember the 6am wakeups and driving to the field house for 5 hours of pain. Dreaded it for 3 years. Not the 4th, though.

I'll really never forget my last year. It didn't matter the heat, the conditions, the length: I woke up every day excited for practice. I even lifted weights after the two-a-days. I can honestly say that there was not one practice my whole senior year that I didn't look forward to. I miss it, every second of it. I'd give almost anything to be in that shape again, and running to jam the force back over and over and over in 95 degree heat at 9am after already practicing for 2 hours and a 15 min break, and with the humidity from the water sprinklers early 'gift' slapping me in the face.

You seniors, enjoy the last year whether you play college ball or not. Nothing, in my opinion, will ever be as pure as high school football, and there's nothing more memorable than that last year. :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: That was beautimous.

Macarthur
07-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure I would say I "miss" two-a-days.

I certainly have fond memories of that period of my life and enjoyed practices once two-a-days were over.

For me, it was all about Fridays. I can still remember that feeling and the air just smelled different on Fridays. One of my best memories was between the end of class and start of the pep rally. We would go to the field house and the field would be prepped with fresh paint, yard markers, etc. The grass just looked so much greener than usual, and again, there just seemed to be a smell in the air.

Good memories.

espn1
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I remember them making us take those stupid salt tablets by the hand fulls.

garciap77
07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by espn1
I remember them making us take those stupid salt tablets by the hand fulls.

Salt tablets made me sick. I liked two-a days because it was funny watching the kids that were out of shape!

CenTexSports
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
OK, for those of you that have fond memories of Fridays, you can still have them. The local TASO chapters are starting their meetings in 2 weeks. Go join and get that Friday night chill again.

Every chapter needs more officials. Go join!

c-town_balla
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I know its only my first year not playing...but the smell of our travel bags just reminds me of playing....it got ingrained into our pads and what not but I would only notice it on Fridays.....I would always show up early to the field house and I would walk into the Locker room and just smell it....

STANG RED
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I hated two a days, but not for the same reasons as most. I was raised on a ranch, and we were usually still hauling hay when two a days would start. So I went to morning practice, came home for lunch and 3 to 4 hours of hay hauliing, then back for the evening prictice, and sometimes would haul a load or two of hay late in the evening till it got too dark to see.
So my time at practice was actually easier than my normal day, but when you combined the two together, it was brutal!
My favorite day was always that day when the last bail of hay was hauled and stacked. It was gravy from there on out.;)

RedWhiteBlue
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
I know its only my first year not playing...but the smell of our travel bags just reminds me of playing....it got ingrained into our pads and what not but I would only notice it on Fridays.....I would always show up early to the field house and I would walk into the Locker room and just smell it....
What the smell of dirty socks, sweat and crusty butt? Come over to my house and you can sniff my teenager son's laundry anytime... and if your lucky- I will even let you do a load of my 7 year olds. That should do you for about a month!!!:D

mac77
07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
The problem with two a days is they are like a hangover. They are starting to hurt more than they used to. 49 years old and unless I'm going fishing, it sure is hard to get up at 5AM.