PDA

View Full Version : Any Landlords out there?

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Quick Question...

You own a house within the city limits and the renters are riding an ATV on the city streets around the house and people in the neighborhood continue to call you to complain because they know you own the house...

What do you do besides asking them not to ride the ATV of course?

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Submit something in writing asking them to stop riding the ATV?

LH Panther Mom
07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Is it against some city ordinance or are the neighbors just annoyed?

ASUFrisbeeStud
07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Submit something in writing asking them to stop riding the ATV?

Well I would have a letter drafted asking them to cease all illegal activity and proceed from there. If they continue evict them.

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Is it against some city ordinance or are the neighbors just annoyed?

both...annoyed neighbors and state law....it is unlawful to operate an ATV on a city street or road...

LH Panther Mom
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Well I would have a letter drafted asking them to cease all illegal activity and proceed from there. If they continue evict them. Heck if it's illegal, the neighbors should be calling the cops. :D

LH Panther Mom
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
both...annoyed neighbors and state law....it is unlawful to operate an ATV on a city street or road...
Okay. We don't own one, never have, never will, so I didn't need to know that one. :)

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
im tired of renting out this house and its been less than a year. I think we are going to give them the option at the end of their lease to buy and if they don't, we will put it on the market. Im tired of dealing with all the crap...

LH Panther Mom
07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
im tired of renting out this house and its been less than a year. I think we are going to give them the option at the end of their lease to buy and if they don't, we will put it on the market. Im tired of dealing with all the crap...
I don't blame you! We had a couple of good renters, but for the most part, they were bad. I hated to get rid of the house, but it became a huge headache.

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't blame you! We had a couple of good renters, but for the most part, they were bad. I hated to get rid of the house, but it became a huge headache.

its just not worth it. We arent making very much off of it. They are paying late. They are riding ATV's up and down the street like idiots. Neighbors are telling me they are smoking weed outside the house....blah blah blah

sinton66
07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I agree that the neighbors should call the police, not you. The best you could do is inform the renters that this is illegal and is annoying the neighbors. Tell them one of the neighbors will eventually call the police on them. If they don't stop, then that is exactly what should happen.

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 10:00 PM
im not wanting to call the police but I am thinking about sending them (renters) something in writing saying they need to cease the riding so that way if anything happens, an accident, or whatever, I have in writing that I asked them to stop....

sinton66
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm guessing unless you have an "illegal activity" clause in the rental agreement, there's not much you can do. Maybe send them a note informing them the activity is illegal and the neighbors are complaining, and suggest they stop. Let the neighbors call the police.

rockdale80
07-07-2008, 10:13 PM
There is nothing in a standard lease to prohibit this since it is not taking place on your property. Also, there is nothing in a standard lease prohibiting the storage an ATV on your property. The weed is a different story, but that is a gray area since it has not been proven and basically your neighbors word against theirs. Unfortunately, there is little you can do other than advise the neighbors to call the police to report the activity. Also, the late rent is an evictable offense so that is something to you can take action upon if you are looking to give them the boot. This is all based on a standard lease and both of you are bound by the documents you signed so I would review that lease you both signed to see if there is a provision that would encompass the above actions.

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
of course, there is nothing i could do about the weed because I will never witness it. I would never even bring that up.

I have though witnessed the ATV riding...but like rockdale said, the riding is on a public street and its not illegal to ride the ATV on our property, just cant on the street...

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
i think im just not going to mess with any of it and charge the late fees and with a month left in their lease tell them they have the option to purchase the property and if they do not we will be putting it on the market and they have 30 days to get out....

rockdale80
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
of course, there is nothing i could do about the weed because I will never witness it. I would never even bring that up.

I have though witnessed the ATV riding...but like rockdale said, the riding is on a public street and its not illegal to ride the ATV on our property, just cant on the street...

Actually riding it on your property should be prohibited in your lease due to the home owners insurance prohibiting it. I would look into that. I was saying it should not be against your lease to store it on the property nor ride it in the street. Illegal yes, but not outside the confines of your lease.

kaorder1999
07-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Actually riding it on your property should be prohibited in your lease due to the home owners insurance prohibiting it. I would look into that. I was saying it should not be against your lease to store it on the property nor ride it in the street. Illegal yes, but not outside the confines of your lease.
you are correct....

waterboy
07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
My wife and I had a couple of rent houses a few years ago. Actually my wife owned these houses when we met so I kinda inherited them. One of the renters was very good. They paid on time, kept the place up, never complained, they were basically the perfect tenants. On the other hand, the other renters were the worst. When it came time to pay the rent they would suddenly disappear. They didn't keep the place up and we had to play phone tag each month. We lived 80+ miles away from the properties which made it more difficult to keep our eye on the place and chase her down. After she got a couple of months behind on rent we went through the eviction process. We went to serve the eviction notice and she had already moved. What she left behind was about $3,000 worth of water damage. Come to find out the drain behind the washer was clogged. This problem could have been fixed very easily and would have saved alot of money, but she was afraid to contact us because she was behind 3 months rent. Needless to say, we put those houses up for sale immediately. They were sold a couple of months later. Suffice it to say, I will never own rental houses again.:hand: