PDA

View Full Version : Computer ppl...!

Fal44
07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
i'm looking into buying a laptop for school... but I have no idea what to buy... I was looking at this one: White 2.4 ghz.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE3MjA

but If I can get something better for cheaper or something I would definitely look into that...

Diocletian
07-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Don't blow all that beer money just yet.

Try overstock.com for some cheap good laptops. You won't need an awesome one just do some word and powerpoint...

sinton66
07-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Try these:
Laptops (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=us&cs=04&id=latit_d630&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab&dgc=EM&cid=32611&lid=755992)

Antec
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Get an Apple I Book

I have g$ which iave had for over 5 years

no problems and no crashers

jason
07-07-2008, 10:51 PM
its dumb to spend $1400 on a mac to do word documents, powerpoints, and play on myspace...

just get a dell with an extended warranty...

turbostud
07-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1530. Great laptop.

Gators17
07-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
i'm looking into buying a laptop for school... but I have no idea what to buy... I was looking at this one: White 2.4 ghz.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE3MjA

but If I can get something better for cheaper or something I would definitely look into that...

I just got the same laptop but black about a week and a half ago. Everyone says it's overpriced and overrated but to be honest I love it. I would definitely recommend you getting one. I got mine for school as well and I wouldn't have picked any other computer. One thing though, when you do get it, do the thing where you get the free iPod..that's what I did and I got a free iPod touch!

3afan
07-08-2008, 06:45 AM
my Gateway has performed flawlessly for 3 yrs now .........

garciap77
07-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Get an HP or Sony!

jason
07-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
my Gateway has performed flawlessly for 3 yrs now ......... your laptop is slow

espn1
07-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Laptop on Sale! (http://shop3.frys.com/%7Bi9WqxY9tTCXAHLr60ctj-g**.node3%7D/product/5640921)

big daddy russ
07-08-2008, 09:58 AM
I swear by Macs and swear my next computer will be one, but if you're getting a laptop for college, the best advice I can give you is to get a PC. Definitely one that's 14" or smaller. Dell's a good, affordable brand and (this may not seem like a big deal to some people, but it matters) has heat fans on the side of the laptop instead of on the bottom. Your lap won't get cooked while sitting on a bench in the middle of campus waiting for your next class.

That Mac will cost about $500 more than a Dell when it's all said and done, and unless you plan on working with some pretty intensive stuff (which most college students never touch, even though they may think they will), save the money on the laptop and get a flat screen TV or something else cool for you. You can get an Inspiron 1420 14" laptop with extra RAM, Microsoft Works (which is important), and a three-year warranty for around $1000 if you use your school discount.

I've got a 3-year-old Dell that's been great. I've also had a 15.4" Compaq and a 14" Toshiba (it's actually my wife's), and the Dell's been the best of the bunch. The Compaq was a bit bulky for my large blocks of classes... where I had three or four large textbooks in my backpack along with my laptop... and the Toshiba (which is less than a year old) just hasn't held up as well.

Emerson1
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
my Gateway has performed flawlessly for 3 yrs now .........
Except it takes 5 minutes to open notepad

espn1
07-08-2008, 10:38 AM
This is a great machine (http://shop2.frys.com/product/5619391?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG). It is very under rated. Like DDR said go for the small monitor. You won't regret it. Cut your costs in other areas so you can get a good Computer.

jason
07-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by espn1
This is a great machine (http://shop2.frys.com/product/5619391?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG). It is very under rated. Like DDR said go for the small monitor. You won't regret it. Cut your costs in other areas so you can get a good Computer.

$1700 for that?
it only has a 1.2Ghz processor and 1Gb of ram...

plus it has that swivel screen that can break easily....

the computer genius rates this computer a giant ripoff......

espn1
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by jason
$1700 for that?

the computer genius rates this computer a giant ripoff...... The one I have has 2gigs. It's great for travel and it stays charged longer than anything I've ever been around. That's what you're paying for portability. That's worth an extra $500 for me. But then again I'm not a Student. Sony's are also good they stay charged a long time.

espn1
07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
$1700 for that?

the computer genius rates this computer a giant ripoff...... I'd also have to say that the computer genius might have to remove the "genius" from his name.

Fal44
07-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I swear by Macs and swear my next computer will be one, but if you're getting a laptop for college, the best advice I can give you is to get a PC. Definitely one that's 14" or smaller. Dell's a good, affordable brand and (this may not seem like a big deal to some people, but it matters) has heat fans on the side of the laptop instead of on the bottom. Your lap won't get cooked while sitting on a bench in the middle of campus waiting for your next class.

That Mac will cost about $500 more than a Dell when it's all said and done, and unless you plan on working with some pretty intensive stuff (which most college students never touch, even though they may think they will), save the money on the laptop and get a flat screen TV or something else cool for you. You can get an Inspiron 1420 14" laptop with extra RAM, Microsoft Works (which is important), and a three-year warranty for around $1000 if you use your school discount.

I've got a 3-year-old Dell that's been great. I've also had a 15.4" Compaq and a 14" Toshiba (it's actually my wife's), and the Dell's been the best of the bunch. The Compaq was a bit bulky for my large blocks of classes... where I had three or four large textbooks in my backpack along with my laptop... and the Toshiba (which is less than a year old) just hasn't held up as well.

so basically the apple one is just 500 dollars more for their name? and I get a better one for cheaper?

jason
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Best laptops under $500 (http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/119/best-laptops-under-500/)

big daddy russ
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
so basically the apple one is just 500 dollars more for their name? and I get a better one for cheaper?
The Apple is a better computer IMO, I just think a less-expensive one would be great for what you'll be doing. Keep the extra money for a flat-screen TV, a DVD player, and a 12-pack.

jason
07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The Apple is a better computer IMO, I just think a less-expensive one would be great for what you'll be doing. Keep the extra money for a flat-screen TV, a DVD player, and a 12-pack. so what you're trying to say is that the mac OS is better because all of the parts are generally the same....

:D :D

big daddy russ
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
so what you're trying to say is that the mac OS is better because all of the parts are generally the same....

:D :D
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm actually trying to say that all their software is better. And it's not even close. :D

Fal44
07-11-2008, 05:41 PM
After all this... I'm still looking at the apple, but I checked out my friends dell xps.. Not bad..

I get russ's point about the whole I won't use much of the apps for college... A nice little flat screen wouldn't be bad either... :D

Fal44
07-26-2008, 04:44 PM
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DYCWHSV&s=dhs

what do y'all think about this one? better then the apple? I'm looking to spend around 1300 on one.. so any other suggestions...