PDA

View Full Version : Tubing

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
We planned on camping on the Nueces River and making a day trip to the Frio.....but, there is an Old Settlers Weekend going on and my usual campground is booked.

Anyone have anywhere they have stayed??

I was also looking at the Guadalupe River....I am bringing my 2 dogs so it has to be somewhere that accepts pet. Also, my husband and brother are gonna want their beer, so it can't be a state park!!

Any suggestions???

Emerson1
07-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We planned on camping on the Nueces River and making a day trip to the Frio.....but, there is an Old Settlers Weekend going on and my usual campground is booked.

Anyone have anywhere they have stayed??

I was also looking at the Guadalupe River....I am bringing my 2 dogs so it has to be somewhere that accepts pet. Also, my husband and brother are gonna want their beer, so it can't be a state park!!

Any suggestions???
Your husband and his brother? Don't you mean your 30 pack of green apple smirnoff?

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Your husband and his brother? Don't you mean your 30 pack of green apple smirnoff?

They come in 30 packs???

I think the last time I even drank one was when Liberty Hill played Hondo in 2006!!

loboes86
07-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Where abouts on the Nueces River?

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by loboes86

South Texas

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
and you can't drink in a state park? what kind of Loserville law is that?

loboes86
07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
South Texas Realy I would have never geussed that, I thought it ran through Northeastern New Mexico.

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 08:59 PM
and you can't drink in a state park? what kind of Loserville law is that?

As far as I know, that law has been in existence for as far back as I can remember.

I just made reservations as a campground I have never been to in Camp Wood.

It is on the Nueces River and we will just drive to the Frio river for the day if we find the Nueces is not fun for us.....looks like the Frio river is really low AGAIN this year!!!

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Realy I would have never geussed that, I thought it ran through Northeastern New Mexico.

damn... here I am... all alone... wondering if that was sarcasm or not ha...

?

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
South Texas

He asked "whereabouts" on the Nueces River...not WHERE is the Nueces River...you silly!!

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Around the Camp Wood area. We usually stay at Cookseys Park....but they are booked!

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
As far as I know, that law has been in existence for as far back as I can remember.

Wow... that's just weird... I've drank at a state park? I was illegal?

loboes86
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
damn... here I am... all alone... wondering if that was sarcasm or not ha...

? NA not sarcasm ! I'm just realy bad at directions.

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Wow... that's just weird... I've drank at a state park? I was illegal?

YES!!! You heathen!!!!

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
He asked "whereabouts" on the Nueces River...not WHERE is the Nueces River...you silly!!

yah, I just saw that...

my bad, my bad...

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
YES!!! You heathen!!!!

Are you sure this hasn't changed? cuz uhm, no one has cared when we've drank at a couple of state parks?

loboes86
07-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok on the road from Rocksprings to Uvalde theres a place called Ledgewater campground. Its about 20 min. out of Rocksprings at the bottem of the hill they use to have a website. Theres also Chalkbluff just a little further between were your staying and Uvalde. If your staying at the Nueces Canyon campground it used to be nice and they had the river dammed there. Use to be a nice place to swim.

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Are you sure this hasn't changed? cuz uhm, no one has cared when we've drank at a couple of state parks?

I really don't know....I don't go to many state parks!!

I noticed at the Guadalupe River State park it states No Alcohol!

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm calling my Congressman Ron Paul and reminding him of the Right to bear Beer...

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I really don't know....I don't go to many state parks!!

I noticed at the Guadalupe River State park it states No Alcohol!

you may be right... we may have had cool park rangers or something...

Old Green
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM

I just made reservations as a campground I have never been to in Camp Wood.

It is on the Nueces River and we will just drive to the Frio river for the day if we find the Nueces is not fun for us.....looks like the Frio river is really low AGAIN this year!!! Which Camp Ground are you staying at in Camp Wood ? A close friend of mine owns one there on the Nueces River.

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Ok on the road from Rocksprings to Uvalde theres a place called Ledgewater campground. Its about 20 min. out of Rocksprings at the bottem of the hill they use to have a website. Theres also Chalkbluff just a little further between were your staying and Uvalde. If your staying at the Nueces Canyon campground it used to be nice and they had the river dammed there. Use to be a nice place to swim.

I looked at the Chalkbluff website, I am thinking they didn't allow dogs.

We are staying at The Big Oak River Camp....I know nothing about it!!

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Which Camp Ground are you staying at in Camp Wood ? A close friend of mine owns one there on the Nueces River.

Big Oak River campground. I wanted to stay at Cookseys Park, that's where we usually stay, but they are booked the weekend I wanted to go!

loboes86
07-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Which Camp Ground are you staying at in Camp Wood ? A close friend of mine owns one there on the Nueces River. Which one does he own? The older one in Campwood or the newer one about a mile out on the east side of the road? There both pretty nice.

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Which one does he own? The older one in Campwood or the newer one about a mile out on the east side of the road? There both pretty nice.

Is just there just 2??

The one we usually stay at has the river dammed too!!

loboes86
07-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Big Oak River campground. I wanted to stay at Cookseys Park, that's where we usually stay, but they are booked the weekend I wanted to go! We stayed there a few years ago it's pretty nice and it was quite to. River is within close walkin distance.

loboes86
07-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Actualy between Campwood and Uvalde I can remeber 4 or 5

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:19 PM
We stayed there a few years ago it's pretty nice and it was quite to. River is within close walkin distance.

Do you know how close the campsites are to each other??

I am worried that one of my dogs is gonna yap at every little thing he hears and sees.....I am buying him a muzzle before we leave!!

loboes86
07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Seems like ther were spots you could kinda get away from every body. Like I said its been a few years back.

Old Green
07-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Which one does he own? The older one in Campwood or the newer one about a mile out on the east side of the road? There both pretty nice. He owns Rocky River Campground .

Ranger Mom
07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
He owns Rocky River Campground .

I looked at that one, but the only campsite they had available when I needed it was one with NO hookups.

If I am gonna rough it in a tent, I at least want electricity for a fan!!:p

Old Green
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I looked at that one, but the only campsite they had available when I needed it was one with NO hookups.

If I am gonna rough it in a tent, I at least want electricity for a fan!!:p He usually stays pretty booked. I always go up there around the middle os September when it's offseason. The rates are a lot cheaper and it's not so crowded. Chug has time then to BBQ the Wild hog with fresh squeezed marinade for us and have a lot of fun.:thumbsup:

loboes86
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Is just there just 2??

The one we usually stay at has the river dammed too!! We may be talkin about the same place. From the dam can you see the Hwy bridge they built about 10 years ago give or take.

Ranger Mom
07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
We may be talkin about the same place. From the dam can you see the Hwy bridge they built about 10 years ago give or take.

I'm pretty sure we are. I can't find pics of our last trip...but these are of an earlier one.

The first pic is one taken of the dam under the same bridge I think you are talking about.

The second is taken from our campsite.

The third is taken of the kids swimming at the dam.

Look familiar????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/CampWood.jpg

BwdLions
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I thought the river that ran through this area was the Frio River. :confused:

Ranger Mom
07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions

I think the Frio is about 45 miles from the Nueces. Or at least it is from where we stay!

wimbo_pro
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
i would recommend staying in New Braunfels and tubing the Guadalupe near Canyon Lake. Cold water, plenty of places to stay, and beer is allowed on the river...with some limitations.

Ranger Mom
07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
i would recommend staying in New Braunfels and tubing the Guadalupe near Canyon Lake. Cold water, plenty of places to stay, and beer is allowed on the river...with some limitations.

I thought about that, but from all my research, it is WAY more commercial and way more crowded than I want....plus, it's quite a way farther!!

GOOD NEWS!! The owner of Cooksey's Park called me today and told me they had one campsight available, so I took it. I will have to forfeit one days charge to cancel my other reservation (that I already paid for), but it's worth it to me!!

I SO HAPPY!!!!:D :D :D

icu812
07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I thought about that, but from all my research, it is WAY more commercial and way more crowded than I want....plus, it's quite a way farther!!

GOOD NEWS!! The owner of Cooksey's Park called me today and told me they had one campsight available, so I took it. I will have to forfeit one days charge to cancel my other reservation (that I already paid for), but it's worth it to me!!

We always stay at Frior Bluff Cabins on the Frio. Nice clean cabins, cold a/c, good swimming hole, have tubes, deer feeders, not many people. Its on 83 just North of the Happy Hollow camp ground and South of Leakey. Some years not alot of water though. But enough for tubing.

wimbo_pro
07-07-2008, 03:50 PM

You are correct about the commercial part of it...though it does offer Schliterbaun and other cool things to do for the kids.

AP Panther Fan
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
You are correct about the commercial part of it...though it does offer Schliterbaun and other cool things to do for the kids.

I like doing the Comal and the tube chute.

We usually park and get in right by the tube chute at a place that used to be called the Float In, but is now owned by Schlitterbahn and goes by a different name...still a neat place to rent your tubes, leave your car and grab a picnic table. It's where you see all the people diving for stuff lost going down the tube chute.:D

Maroon87
07-07-2008, 04:05 PM
We were on the Guadalupe last September on the first weekend it had been open for tubing all summer. Man that river was moving! And it was deep too...:clap:

Trashman
07-07-2008, 05:24 PM

j) Alcoholic Beverages.
It is an offense to consume or display an open container of an alcoholic beverage in a public place or sell alcoholic beverages within a state park.

DU_stud04
07-07-2008, 05:34 PM
i should be on the guadalupe in about 3 weekends from now. im excited :) got a cabin already reserved down there, im ready for another good weekend already

Ranger Mom
07-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Kids?? What kids?? This is an "adult" only weekend for us grown up kids.

I am taking my dogs, though I don't think they would enjoy Schlitterbahn much. They may not even enjoy tubing, but I bought them life jackets and we're are gonna give it a try!!

sinton66
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions

They actually merge at Three Rivers.

Maroon87
07-07-2008, 09:40 PM

I've noticed the Guadalupe has been much cleaner the last few times I've been there. I remember going on 4th of July weekend in 2000 or 2001 and there was trash everywhere.

loboes86
07-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure we are. I can't find pics of our last trip...but these are of an earlier one.

The first pic is one taken of the dam under the same bridge I think you are talking about.

The second is taken from our campsite.

The third is taken of the kids swimming at the dam.

Look familiar????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/CampWood.jpg Yep thats it. Whatched some area kids divin off that dam one time. Buncha crazy ranch kids .

Ranger Mom
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Yep thats it. Whatched some area kids divin off that dam one time. Buncha crazy ranch kids .

Haha!! That was one pic of my kids that I didn't scan in...they jumped (didn't dive) off of it. We did go to the other side of the lake and jump off the cliffs though....that was one experience I will never willingly repeat!! YEOUCH!!!!!

JHS_c/o_06'
07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Every year my fraternity goes on a retreat to Uvalde and we stay at a place on the Nueces river called Chalk Bluff. I've always enjoyed that, the river is really close to the campgrounds and there are alot of things to do. The view is pretty awesome as well.

Ranger Mom
07-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I just called to cancel my first reservation that I made (and they have already taken out of my account)...and the lady told me she can't find it ANYWHERE, so I don't need to worry about canceling it.

I said, "yes ma'am, I do....y'all have already charged me $102.00, I need a refund!!"

Luckily, I was able to forward her the confirmation they sent me with the Reservation #, the Order #, and a note on the bottom in bright red that says:

$102 has been charged to this customers credit card

Hopefully they will get it straightened out soon!!:mad:

raider red 2000
07-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i should be on the guadalupe in about 3 weekends from now. im excited :) got a cabin already reserved down there, im ready for another good weekend already

where are yall staying at....we are trying to find a cabin to rent for the weekend of the 17th of july....and havnt had much luck.....but we really dont know what we are doing....we may just try to rent an RV or something....i need AC in the morning.

waking up after a long night of beverges.....and being hot as heck....isnt so much fun :)

Ranger Mom
07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
where are yall staying at....we are trying to find a cabin to rent for the weekend of the 17th of july....and havnt had much luck.....but we really dont know what we are doing....we may just try to rent an RV or something....i need AC in the morning.

waking up after a long night of beverges.....and being hot as heck....isnt so much fun :)

So am I weird for liking to "rough it?"

We are just so excited that we are going to be around water, we don't really care if it's hot!!:D

RedWhiteBlue
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM

We are just so excited that we are going to be around water, we don't really care if it's hot!!:D
You could always come to Possum Kingdom Lake and jump off the cliffs at Hell's Gate.:D

Ranger Mom
07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
You could always come to Possum Kingdom Lake and jump off the cliffs at Hell's Gate.

Sleeping in a tent I can handle...jumping off of Hell's gate, I can't.

There are "cliffs" across from where we are staying. I jumped from those last time we were there. It would have been okay, but I was extremely high up and when I jumped, I kept my arms extended out instead of tucking them in at my sides.....when they hit the water, OMG!!

Have you ever heard an underwater scream????:eek:

RedWhiteBlue
07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Sleeping in a tent I can handle...jumping off of Hell's gate, I can't.

There are "cliffs" across from where we are staying. I jumped from those last time we were there. It would have been okay, but I was extremely high up and when I jumped, I kept my arms extended out instead of tucking them in at my sides.....when they hit the water, OMG!!

Have you ever heard an underwater scream????:eek:

Did you have a swimsuit wedgie RM?:eek: Those are the worst! I was just joking about the whole Hell's Gate thing. I wouldn't do it either. Not a fun thing for anyone to try........:thinking:

Ranger Mom
07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Did you have a swimsuit wedgie RM?:eek: Those are the worst! I was just joking about the whole Hell's Gate thing. I wouldn't do it either. Not a fun thing for anyone to try........:thinking:

I jumped from Hell's gate before......of course, I was only about halfway up.

I wouldn't have known if I had a wedgie or not, my arms were hurting too darn bad.

In fact, my friends had to bring a paddle boat over and rescue me, I don't think I could have gotten my tube back across the lake on my own!!!

That was when I decided..."I'm too old for some of this stuff anymore,".....and that was a bitter pill to swallow!!

I may come back from the camping trip and decide I am too old to sleep on the ground (albeit, on a blow up mattress) too!!!:D

Silverback 04
07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Went down to Concan for the 4th and had a great time. The Frio was really low so there was a lot of walking involved, but, Cory Morrow was playing at the Country Club where we stayed so that made it a great week. My wife said she had a great time sittin' in the river on a raft, I told her it was more like sittin on the rocks in a raft. She didn't laugh.

Ranger Mom
07-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Went down to Concan for the 4th and had a great time. The Frio was really low so there was a lot of walking involved, but, Cory Morrow was playing at the Country Club where we stayed so that made it a great week. My wife said she had a great time sittin' in the river on a raft, I told her it was more like sittin on the rocks in a raft. She didn't laugh.

Well darn!! I am going the last day of July, maybe they will get a little rain by then, but I am not getting my hopes up too much!!

I always make my own fun anyway, so I have no doubt we will have fun, no matter the water level!!

:D

raider red 2000
07-09-2008, 10:53 AM

you are just tougher than the rest of us :)

we have "roughed it" a couple of times.....but sometimes AC is good :)

Old Green
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
you are just tougher than the rest of us :)

we have "roughed it" a couple of times.....but sometimes AC is good :) we went camping last weekend. I saw some people with a small air conditioner on a crate sticking out the door of their tent. They said it worked quite well for cooling them off.

Ranger Mom
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
we went camping last weekend. I saw some people with a small air conditioner on a crate sticking out the door of their tent. They said it worked quite well for cooling them off.

LOL!! In my searching for a campground I ran across a few "rules and regulations" about no A/C's in tents.......that must be why!! I thought to myself, "who puts an A/C in a tent??"

A good ole oscillating fan is good enough for me!!:p

raider red 2000
07-09-2008, 10:47 PM
LOL!! In my searching for a campground I ran across a few "rules and regulations" about no A/C's in tents.......that must be why!! I thought to myself, "who puts an A/C in a tent??"

A good ole oscillating fan is good enough for me!!:p

where do you plug in the fan????

Ranger Mom
07-09-2008, 10:48 PM
where do you plug in the fan????

All the campsites have water and electricity....that reminds me, I need to add extension cord to my ever growing list!!!

Thanks!!

raider red 2000
07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
All the campsites have water and electricity....that reminds me, I need to add extension cord to my ever growing list!!!

Thanks!!

you must be more experienced than me.....i have never thought to pack an extension cord.

just bug spray....some hot dogs..and lots of coolers...full of beverages :)

Ranger Mom
07-09-2008, 10:51 PM
you must be more experienced than me.....i have never thought to pack an extension cord.

just bug spray....some hot dogs..and lots of coolers...full of beverages :)

I have camped all my life!! Although, most places don't have electricity...I learned my lesson last time!! :D