PDA

View Full Version : Phil C's Tour de France updates

Phil C
07-05-2008, 10:24 PM
A great start with Valverde winning with an incredible finish. Much more to come. Exciting times indeed!

coach
07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
A great start with Valverde winning with an incredible finish. Much more to come. Exciting times indeed!

i bet he cheated

JasperDog94
07-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Phil. Man you've got some serious clout on the downlow. Only you could get a sticky for the Tour de no Lance.

What's next, women's softball?;)

piratebg
07-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Phil. Man you've got some serious clout on the downlow. Only you could get a sticky for the Tour de no Lance.

I was thinking Dawn at Socorro :D

duckpluck
07-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I must be missing something. Is there a 3A kid in the Tour?

There wasnt a Super Bowl sticky, A Wimbledon Sticky, World Series Sticky, NASCAR Sticky, and Rock Paper Scissors Sticky.

piratebg
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Nope. It's just another one of Phil's obsessions.

JasperDog94
07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by duckpluck

There wasnt a Super Bowl sticky, A Wimbledon Sticky, World Series Sticky, NASCAR Sticky, and Rock Paper Scissors Sticky. We must remember that Phil is the Sinton Godfather. Just don't agree to do any "favors" for him.:D

Necks_Fan
07-06-2008, 05:49 PM

There wasnt a Super Bowl sticky, A Wimbledon Sticky, World Series Sticky, NASCAR Sticky, and Rock Paper Scissors Sticky. True Dat.:thinking:

Phil C
07-07-2008, 08:54 AM
On Stage 3 the peloton is about 9 minutes behind a group of escapees. I think it is going to catch them. There is about an hour and half of hard riding ahead of them. Excitement indeed!

As a note of interest since this is an even numbered year the tour goes through France counter clockwise this year.

Phil C
07-07-2008, 08:57 AM
There hasn't been any major changes since my last update so Alas! There is nothing new to report.

Phil C
07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
About 27 miles to the finish and the peloton is about 6 1/2 minutes behind the breakaways. I still think it will catch them and it will be exciting race for the finish by the sprinters. Excitement indeed. Also it has stopped raining which is good news.

Phil C
07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
They are less than 20 miles from the finish line. The escapees lead is now just over 5 minutes so it is likely they will be caught by the peloton before the finish line and there will be a sprint for the finish line.

pirate4state
07-07-2008, 11:15 AM

There wasnt a Super Bowl sticky, A Wimbledon Sticky, World Series Sticky, NASCAR Sticky, and Rock Paper Scissors Sticky.

There also isn't someone who feels the need to update the board with constant updates on those events.

Last year we adopted this "solution" for Phil & the rest of the board. It may not be perfect and some of you may not like it, but you don't have to read it!

jason
07-07-2008, 02:21 PM
make it a sticky in the suggestions forum....

at least get rid of some of the other stickies that haven't had posts made on them since mid june....

Phil C
07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
The Breakaway worked which is very rare. France's Roman Feillu won the stage and also got the yellow jersey. France is happy. The peloton did narrow the gap but they started too late and the escapees were able to hold on.
Today it is a time trail day.

Phil C
07-08-2008, 10:45 AM
The German Stefan Schumacker is going to get the yellow jersey today in the Stage 4 time trials. There is still much racing to be done and they haven't got to the mountains.

BobcatBenny
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
What is the wine of the day?

Phil C
07-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Stage 5 is another flat stage today. There are some escapees but I don't think they will be able to hold off the peloton today. It is rare that they do and the sprinters want to make it their day. I expect Robbie McEwen to make a great effort today and maybe win it. We will see.

Be sure to not miss tomorrow's race because that is the first race in the mountains even though it is not a brutal one.

Phil C
07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
The peloton is about 2min40sec behind the escapees and there is still about 32 miles to go. It looks like the peloton is going to catch them today for sure. A thrilling sprinters race should happen at the end.

Phil C
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Mark Cavendish wins the stage. It was a vallient effort by the escapees with one of them trying to hold off the peloton in the last km but as expected the peloton caught them all and Mark made a great sprint to win the race. It was expected to happen this way.
Hang onto your hats because tomorrow we have a mountain climb.

BobcatBenny
07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
What is the wine of the day?
Awww ... come on Phil C get with the program! I want to know what region of France the riders will be drinking wine tonight?

Is it Alsace, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne, Côtes du Rhône, Languedoc-Roussillon, Loire Valley, Provence, Corsica or Ripple? :D

Phil C
07-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Awww ... come on Phil C get with the program! I want to know what region of France the riders will be drinking wine tonight?

Is it Alsace, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne, Côtes du Rhône, Languedoc-Roussillon, Loire Valley, Provence, Corsica or Ripple? :D

None! This is going to be a drug and alcohol free tour! :)

Phil C
07-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Stage 6 has started and is moving along with about 3 miles to go. There are 3 escapees but they are only 4 minutes ahead of the peloton. This has two big mountain climbs. I think with this being the first mountain stage that the riders will try to keep it status quo today and make a move later. The main thing is to keep from losing the tour today.

Phil C
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM
The three escapees are now only 2 minutes ahead of the peloton with about 30 miles left to go in the race.

Phil C
07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
One escapee is left with about 12 miles left but he is only 25 seconds ahead of the peloton and will no doubt be caught soon. It looks like unless someone does something spectacular that there will not be any major changes today as expected. But when they have the next mountain stage look out!

Phil C
07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Ricardo Ricco won the stage today as the peloton caught the escapees and then there was a race to the finish line. kim Kirchen of Luxenbourg now has the yellow jersey and he is one of the riders on the American team Columbia. The two American teams especially Columbia are doing well so far. This is starting to be an interesting tour.

Phil C
07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I really enjoy the Tour de France.

Phil C
07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
More good news from yesterday is that the sprinters survived. Mountain stages are brutal to them and sometimes they fail to make it before the time allowed but yesterday they helped each other and rode it in about ten minutes behind the leader.

Today is another mountain stage even though maybe not as brutal. Right now there are three escapees and two pelotons but they are fairly close together.

Phil C
07-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Lilian Jegou the first rider to attack in the 2008 Tour de France is out of the race. He was in a crash at about the 50 mile mark and is on his way to the hospital with a broken wrist. His wife is expecting to have their first baby any day now and it could be that both will be in the hospital at the same time.

Phil C
07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
There are still 3 escapees with about 5 miles to go but they are only 45 seconds ahead of the peleton. Hang onto your hats. This may be an important finish. Right now there are several that have a shot to win the Tour de France.

Phil C
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Luis Sanches one of the escapees is able to hold his lead and win the stage today!

Phil C
07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Not a whole lof of major changes in the overall standings today. I think someone will make a big breakthrough though. If not this will be another close one like last year. The American teams are doing well.

Phil C
07-11-2008, 10:48 AM
"July is a tough month for us football fans to get through as we are anxious for football season to start. Fortunately for us 3A Downlow posters we have the Tour de France to help us get through this tough month" said the Sinton GodFather while on his way to the snack bar for a late morning cup of coffee.

DaHop72
07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
None! This is going to be a drug and alcohol free tour! :) OH DEER!!!!!:eek: :eek:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8280930?MSNHPHMA

Phil C
07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
OH DEER!!!!!:eek: :eek:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8280930?MSNHPHMA

:eek: :(

Phil C
07-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Today's stage was a great one for Team Columbia (new USA team). It had some early climbs but basically it was a flat race which ended up being contested by the sprinters as expected especially since for some it may be their last chance. With the support of his team Mark Cavendish won the sprint and his teammate Gerald Ciolek got second. Mark had a great sprint at the end and the others gave it up before the end and let Gerald have second and Kim Kirchen retained the yellow jersey. In the peloton Mark had support not only from George Hencapie but also even some help from Kirchen.

The stages get rough for the next few days as they are now going to have some mountain stages and someone may make a movie. We will see.

Phil C
07-12-2008, 05:09 PM
We can all be proud of the two American Sponsored teams even though not all of the team is composed of Americans. Team Columbia is doing great with Mark Cavendish of Great Britain having won two stages, Kim Kirchin of Luxembourgh retaining the yellow jersey and Thomas Lovkvist of Sweden has retained the white jersey for the best young rider in the tour under 25. George Hincapie is the only American on the team but he has really supported and aided his teammates who have all expressed gratitude to him. This team is a great team that does great team work and not mater what happens the rest of the tour this one has been a success for this team.
The other American team is Garmin Chipolte and Christian Vandevelde of the USA is doing well and is hanging in there with the overall leaders and could be a threat to win this tour as well.

Phil C
07-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Sunday and Monday is where the race gets brutal with some high climbs. I think the main contenders will try to stay with the peloton tomorrow with the sprinters staying together behind just to try to survive even though one of them may try and attack. I expect Monday may be the day that the overall winner may be determined. We will see.
Fortunately Tuesday will be a day of rest and Wednesday will have some climbs but they won't be as brutal.

GreenMonster
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
How many of these guys have to get caught doping before the rest of them stop? Cycling is already the laughing stock of the sports world from their recent doping history, ranking just ahead of baseball in my opinion, one would think that these guys would have more pride in their sport than to continue cheating.

Phil C
07-13-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree Green. Hopefully they are getting the message.
Today's stage 9 was won by Ricardo Ricco. The race was not as interesting because as I had thought the real contenders were satisfied to remain in the peloton. The mountain stage continues tomorrow and I look for more of the contenders to make an attack. We will see.

Phil C
07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Today's stage 10 was a tough brutal race as expected. Leonardo Piapoli of Italy won the stage but he is not one of the overall favorites. Austrailia's Cadel Evans who was one of the favorites made his move and he is in first place by one second and there is still much riding and climbing to be done with several contenders. Kim Kirchin lost time and is now behind by over 4 minutes but he isn't out yet.
It was expected that some of the riders would make a move today because tomorrow is a well deserved rest day. The race resumes Wednesday with a climb even though not as difficult but there are still some more brutal mountain stages coming and the winner isn't certain yet.

SintonFan_inAustin
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
:D do u know what channel this stuff is on for Time Warner? My boss like this stuff and we have to sometimes act like we interested in this?:doh:

Phil C
07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
:D do u know what channel this stuff is on for Time Warner? My boss like this stuff and we have to sometimes act like we interested in this?:doh:

I don't know the channel but the link below can keep you updated pretty good. I like the Tour de France too.

http://www.versus.com/tdf

SintonFan_inAustin
07-14-2008, 01:56 PM
tks :)

Phil C
07-15-2008, 11:48 AM
The riders are taking a well deserved rest day today before starting again tomorrow. There are still some brutal mountains left so first place is still undecided. Australian Cadel Evans leads second place Frank Schleck by one second after the climb on the Hautacasm Mountain yesterday. Some possible good news for Evans is that the TDF has only went over that mountain three previous times and all three times the leader after that stage went on to win the TDF. I don't know if history will repeat itself but Mr. Evans has a chance to be the first Australian to win it all.
But there is still much riding to do. American Christian Vandevelde is in third and is only 38 seconds behind Evans. In fact the top 23 places are within stricking distance even though some will have to make a fantastic breakaway which has been done in the past. Also Kim Kirchen is in seventh place and he isn't in as bad a standing as I thought being only 1.56 seconds behind. So anything can happen as we now approach about the halfway mark of the tour.

Phil C
07-16-2008, 09:35 AM
A disappointment again as Moises Navado of Barloworld tested positive for drugs and is kicked out of the tour and will be sent home in disgrace. He was not a contender but it does show that the Tour is going to be testing everyone several times especially contenders so you can't get away with doping. They are testing everyone now as often as they tested Lance a few years ago. Hopefully the drug cheating will stop. They are sending out a strong message in the testing this year and that is good.

In Stage 11 no surprises. There have been some escapees that are about 15 minutes ahead of the peloton and I don't know if the peloton will catch them but they don't care as none of them are serious contenders and are just after a stage win. Oscar Pereio is making a break but since he is a contender although behind by six minutes I think they won't let him get too far ahead. He won the Tour two years ago by default and he almost won it anyway by a big escape. He has been quite in the past two tours but I think he will still be watched by the contenders. We will see.

Phil C
07-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Stage 11 was won by Norway's kurt-Asle Arversen. He was in 96th place and the peloton let him and the other escapees go since he is not a contender but a thrill to get a stage win. The peloton came together soon afterward so there shouldn't be any major changes overall.

coach
07-16-2008, 11:10 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2008/news/story?id=3491433

Phil C
07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Thank you coach. Bad news indeed. :(

Phil C
07-16-2008, 02:10 PM
We are just past the halfway mark of the 2008 Tour de France. I know we have all been disappointed with the drug news lately but I still that overall by a large amount that this race is drug free and clean and one we can still enjoy over the next ten stages which should provide more thrills and maybe surprises.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 08:25 AM
A sad start of a potential great race today as a two time stage winner and possible contender overall Ricardo Ricco tested positive for the drug EPO and is no longer in the race and will be sent home. His entire team has abandoned the race and it is unknown why which could be that they are also guilty, maybe in sympathy for him or maybe since he was their main rider they are giving it up. I hope the latter is the reason. A shame that this is still happening but the message is clear - don't cheat and dope in the Tour de France.

The race has started. It will have a flat ending and it is expected that the sprinters will have their day today. There are some escapees that are ahead of the peloton early in the race but it is expected they will catch them. Also the race today has some dangerous cross winds so the riders need to be careful. The race ends near the Medditerrean Sea which is located just south of France.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 09:03 AM
There is about 32 miles left in today's race. There are three escapees who are only 1min5sec ahead of the peloton and I don't think they will be able to hold them off. There will probably be a few other attemps to escape though but I expect today will be a day for the sprinters.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
There is now about 25 miles left in the race. The escapees are still 1min15sec ahead of the peloton. I think they will be caught. We will see.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
There is now only about 22 miles to go and things have changed fast as the escapees now only have a lead of 35 seconds. Sprinters - get ready.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Man things keep changing. The escapees have got to work and now lead the peloton again by 1min15seconds with about 18 miles left in the race. I still think the peloton is going to catch them but it may be closer than I think with the possibility that they may hold them off.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Less than ten miles to go and peloton has started to gain rapidly once again on the escapees as they are now 24 seconds ahead of them. I am sure it will be a sprinters' race today with no changes in the overall leaders.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 10:01 AM
The Quickstep team has really been working hard at the front of the peloton and I am sure they want to get a stage winner which they have not been able to get this year and their chances are decreasing as the tour gets closer to the end. Their best bet today I feel is Gert Steegmans. We will see.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 10:04 AM
About six miles left and the escapees only have a ten second lead. Hang onto your hats. This is going to be a thrilling ending. Get ready sprinters!

Phil C
07-17-2008, 10:08 AM
About a mile and a half to go and the escapees are caught. It is now going to be a sprinters' race and they are all at the front of of the peloton and will be sprinting very soon. The yellow jersey (Cadel Evans) and the rest of the main contenders are staying behind them to be safe. Pick your sprinter and watch out. Excitement indeed!

Phil C
07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Mark Cavendish of the American Team Columbia wins the stage in a great sprint. This gives him and the team three wins. Great news indeed! There won't be any major changes in the top contenders. There are still some more mountain stages and that will tell the tale.

Phil C
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
The next two stages (13 and 14) have some climbing but it shouldn't be brutal and I look for them to be again dominated by sprinters even though 14 could allow some escapees to win. Stages 15 to 19 are mountain stages and it gets rough and the climbers should rule and look for some to make their move. Stage 20 will be a final time trial stage and then Stage 21 goes on to Paris. The last stage (21) is mostly a formality with the overall winners decided and they ride to Paris together even though the last 100 meters will have the sprinters racing to the finish to get a stage win. This will be on July 27, 2008. There will be a final resting day on Monday, July 21, 2008.

PhiI C
07-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Apologies from Phil C for not updating the last two stages. He has been under the weather and today asked me to update them for him. Yesterday Mark Cavendish won his fourth stage with a great sprint. Today the stage was won by Oscar Freirer of Spain. The mountain stages start tomorrow and it should be a thriller indeed as the overall standings going into stage 15 are the same and the top five places are separted by less than a minute.
There is much pressure from Great Britain for Mark Cavendish to abandon the tour and head for China to get ready for the Olymphics where he is favored for a gold medal. I know the tour and his team would like for him to stay and maybe win the last stage going to Paris. I may be at a disagreement with Phil C but I feel that he should go for the gold medal now. If he stays in the tour he risks getting used up in the mountains. You can only get that gold metal once every four years while the Tour de France is on every year. Get yourself to China Mark.

Phil C
07-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Thank you PhiI. I am feeling better today. I agree with you on Mark. The experts seem to think he will be going home tomorrow to get ready to go to China and I agree that is the right thing to do.
Also they are starting the mountains when it is critical. I think Stages 16 - 18 will be the deciding stages. We will see.

Phil C
07-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Stage 15 starts the mountain stage and I am not sure what is going to happen at this point. As expected Mark Cavendish retired from the tour and is leaving to get ready for the olympics. Well done Mark and good luck in China.

turbostud
07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Here are the next 3 stages that begin on Tuesday. Very tough mountain stages. Of the top 6, Russian Dennis Menchov looks the strongest IMO. Hopefully American Christian Vandevelde can hang tough and stay in the mix. He is only 39 seconds out of the top spot.

http://l.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/tdf2000/20080630/20/2838085041.png

http://l.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/tdf2000/20080630/20/2078052060.png

http://l.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/tdf2000/20080702/10/3787062218.png

Phil C
07-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
Here are the next 3 stages that begin on Tuesday. Very tough mountain stages. Of the top 6, Russian Dennis Menchov looks the strongest IMO. Hopefully American Christian Vandevelde can hang tough and stay in the mix. He is only 39 seconds out of the top spot.

http://l.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/tdf2000/20080630/20/2838085041.png

http://l.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/tdf2000/20080630/20/2078052060.png

http://l.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/tdf2000/20080702/10/3787062218.png

Right you are turbo! It is noted that a non contender won Stage 15 and it was Austrailia's Simon Gerrans. The breakaway worked yesterday and since none of the four were contenders the peloton let them go. As turbo said it is time for the contenders to make their move. The critical thing is they need to get time on Cadel Evans because he is an outstanding time trial rider and if he can stay close he will have a chance to win it all Friday. It is still close especially in the top six. Vandervelde has a chance but he really hasn't made the move that he will need to win the race but then no one else has either. Hang onto your hats for the next three stages.

turbostud
07-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Phil, the next 5 climbs are HC. I think we are going to see alot of time differences in the top 6. I dont see Cadel Evans gaining time in these next stages. He just doesnt look like he has it. You are right, I think he is just going to try to hang with the others and win the TdF in the time trial. I am picking Dennis Menchov to win it all at this point.

Phil C
07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
The race has been on for some time but none of the main contenders seem to have made a move yet which is to Cadel Evans advantage. No one knows where the American contender Vandervelde is so he may lose out on his chance today as far as winning the tour goes. We will see.

Phil C
07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
There is a group ahead of the peloton and they may be able to hold them off and they are only about 3.5 miles from the finish. None of them are contenders. This stage and the one tomorrow may be someone's last chance to make a move to win this tour but we will see.

Phil C
07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
The escape worked. Most of the main contenders were status quo. The American Christian Vandevelde hurt himself though as he is still in sixth place but over 3 minutes behind so he better make a spectacular move tomorrow if he expects to win the race. It is still a thrilling tour though as the other contenders are close. No one seems to want to make that special move so someone better do so tomorrow or else the race will probably go to Cadel Evans at the time trial. Tomorrow should be the deciding race and it is the last brutal climb stage.

Phil C
07-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Tomorrow's Stage 17 is the last brutal mountain climbing stage and this should be the stage that decides who the winner is. It should be a thriller with lots of attacks and someone making a serious effort. Don't miss this one. It starts at 5:30 A.M. on Versus so set those recorders.
A great tour. Veve Le Tour!

garciap77
07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

No, Bullfighting!:D ;)

Phil C
07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
I think tomorrow is going to be the main deciding stage. It starts at 5:30 A.M. on Versus. Don't miss this one!

Phil C
07-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Stage 17 has been going on for a while. There have been some escapees but none of the real contenders have made a great move yet. They better today or else it is going to be up to the good time trial racers which include Cadel Evans and some of the others. The American Vandevelde who was a contender had crashed yesterday so he may not be able to win it this year but he still has some years left.

turbostud
07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I think Evans will crack on the Alpe D Huez.

Phil C
07-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I think Evans will crack on the Alpe D Huez.

I think you may be right turbostud.
There are several attacks and it is getting interesting now. They need to get a jump on Evans and get time on him or he will kill them in the time trials. This is their last chance.

May the mayhem begin!

Phil C
07-23-2008, 10:27 AM
This is the last brutal mountain stage and some riders need to take this opportunity if they want to win this race. American Vandevelde doesn't seem to be in it but after yesterday's crash it isn't a major surprise. Plus I think yesterday he was battling a cold because he was coughing during the interview. But he has the potential to be back and challenge again the next few years.

Phil C
07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
There is some attacking near the end of the race in these last few miles. Will it be enough? Or is it too little and too late? We will see. From my viewpoint I think someone needed to attack early and hold the lead. It hasn't been done.

Phil C
07-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Evans and Menchov are great in the time trials. If the race is close at the end today these two may fight it out in the time trials. We will see. Some of the riders are really trying but will it be enough. We will have an idea soon.

Phil C
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Carolos Sastre is going to win the stage but the question is by how much? We will see.

turbostud
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Great stage right Phil? I love the mountain stages and the drama that plays out. It doesnt get much better than that.

Phil C
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Great stage right Phil? I love the mountain stages and the drama that plays out. It doesnt get much better than that.

Indeed you are right turbostud! This one lived up to the expectations. I think Carlos Sastre has just won this year's Tour de France. It is his to lose. I think he has enough of a lead to hold off Evans and Menchov in the time trial.

The standings are now

1. Carlos Sastre
2. Frank Schleck 1'24" behind
3. Bernard Kohl 1'33" behind
4. Cadel Evans 1'34" behind
5. Dennis Mehchov 2'39" behind

I think the real battle will be between the second, third and fourth placers for the second and third place in the race overall.

Unfortunately it is sad I have to mention but no one should give up yet and keep trying. If Carlos fails a drug test things could chance and unfortunately this is that possibility but I hope not. But still one has to keep this in mind.

Hopefully we will have a good clean ending of the Tour with Carlos in the drivers seat now. It looks like this stage was the decider as expected.

turbostud
07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Nothing like riding out a hurricane and watching the TdF and the l Alpe D Huez stage. It doesnt get much better than that. Well maybe getting the chance to climb Mount Everest would be better.

Phil C
07-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Nothing like riding out a hurricane and watching the TdF and the l Alpe D Huez stage. It doesnt get much better than that. Well maybe getting the chance to climb Mount Everest would be better.

Indeed great turbostud! I'm too old to try Mount Everest though. :)
I was a little premature in giving Carlos the tour because according to the experts Cadel Evans is great in the time trials and they say he has a chance to catch Carlos in the time trial on Saturday. So even though Carlos made great gains and has the lead it won't be over till Saturday and it could be one of the closests TDF ever. We will see.

Phil C
07-23-2008, 01:48 PM
For those who haven't seen it on tv it will be on Versus tonight in prime time and you need to at least watch the last five miles of this great stage.

Phil C
07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Stage 18 had no surprises as it is a transition stage. The peloton with all the contenders stayed together and there are no changes in the overall standings. Marcus Burghardt won the Stage. There were several attacks but since none had any of the main contenders they were ignored as expected and Marcus won out at the end. I expect more of the same tomorrow with the big time trial to decide it all Saturday. The experts say it will be close but they expect Cadel Evans to win it all on Saturday. We will see.

Phil C
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
This race today (Stage 18) was a great ending between two non-contenders. Carlos Barreda from Spain gave Marcus from Germany a great effort but as expected Marcus had too much sprint at the end but it was a great ending. I expect the same thing tomorrow as the peloton will let non condenders fight to get a stage win and then fight it out in Saturday's time trial. What was great is that even though Marcus is from Germany he is riding for the American Team Columbia and this has been a great tour as they now have won five stage wins and for a while led in the yellow jersey and the future is promising.

Phil C
07-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Stage 19 tomorrow (Friday) will be another interesting transition stage. Look for the main contenders to be satisfied with the status quo again to get ready for the time trial Saturday which will basically decide the overall winner. Look for breaks over this 103 mile stretch to give some of the non contenders a chance to win another or get a stage win. The Tour is about over.

turbostud
07-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the analysis Phil, I missed the stage cause I still have no power. Hopefully I will get backonline and get DirectTV back in time for the time trial on Sat.

Phil C
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the analysis Phil, I missed the stage cause I still have no power. Hopefully I will get backonline and get DirectTV back in time for the time trial on Sat.

You are welcome turbostud and hopefully you will have power by at least Saturday. The one today was interesting to watch the end between the top two today but as mentioned the final overall winner will be decided Saturday but I will keep the updates coming.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Stage 19 now has about 25 miles left to go. There are some escapees that may be able to hold on. If not it will be a sprinters' race again. The peloton is 5 minutes behind Sylvian Chanevel l and Jeremy Roy. Chanevel has done well in past tours but has never won a stage and I know he would love to win this one. But he will still have to maintain his lead and outrace Roy if he is to get this one. We will see. The contenders seem to be satisfied right now to remain in the peloton and fight it out tomorrow in the final time trial.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
There is about 17 miles left and the escapees are still 4'40" ahead of the peloton. If they can hold off France will celebrate as the escapees are Frenchmen.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
There is now less than ten miles to the finish. The escapees lead has shrunk to 3'05". I think they will be caught as the peloton is increasing the pace. The sprinters don't want to let this opportunity get away for a stage win. We will see. It is amazing how the peloton knows what pace they need to ride to catch escapees even though sometimes they let them go or increase the pace when it is too late. But that is rare.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I may be wrong about the peloton catching them after all. They are still 2'55" ahead of the peloton but they are now only about 6 miles from the finish. Unless the peloton increases its' pace they are not going to catch them. France may be able to celebrate after all.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Less than a mile to go. The escapees are about two minutes ahead of the peloton and are not going to be caught. Take your pick - Chanevel or Roy. No matter France will be happy. Veve Le Tour - Veve Le France.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Chavanel has won! After being close so many times he has finally won a stage. He went into a sprint with about 200 km and held off Roy who comes in second. A great finish between these two. It is a shame one of them had to lose between the two.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 10:21 AM
The peloton has now finished with Gerold Ciolek in third place and Erik Zabel in fourth. There shouldn't be any changes in the overall classifications so now it is up to the time trial tomorrow to decide the winner. It should be close! Don't miss it tomorrow!

turbostud
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
who are you picking to win tomorrow's stage and the overall Phil?

Phil C
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
who are you picking to win tomorrow's stage and the overall Phil?

First let me list the top 7 overall going into tomorrow's race turbostud.

1. Carlos Sastre
2. Frank Schleck 1'24" behind
3. Bernard Kohl 1'33" behind
4. Cadel Evans 1'34" behind
5. Denis Menchov 2'39" behind
6. Christian Vandevelde 4'41" behind
7. Alejandro Valverde 5'35" behind

I think the stage tomorrow will be won by Columbia's Kim Kirchen. This would give the American sponsored team another great stage win. But the interest is going to be between the time difference between the top contenders.

Of the above the best time trial riders are Cadel, Menchov and Valverde. They are all capable of riding great races and getting into the top three. Christian I think can do a good job and just maybe get in the top three. But I think in the end it is going to be whether Cadel can gain enough time on Sastre. Even though he is not a good time trial rider Carlos is probably going to ride the ride of his life but will it be enough to hold off Cadel.

Remember in Stage 4 time trial Cadel had a 1'16" advantage over Carlos. But this stage really is to the advantage of the good time trialist. The stage is almost twice as long plus there are a few more hills and the riders are much more fatigued than they were before Stage 4. It should be close but I think with that advantage Cadel will be able to make up the time and win a very close TDF in 2008. It may even be closer than when Greg Lamont won it by 8 seconds in 1989.

Look for tomorrow to be interesting and those that can don't miss it!

What do you think turbostud?

Phil C
07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
This has been a great Tour and the Race and sport are getting cleaned up. Drugs have adversely affected it but with better testing techniques the ones that cheat (use drugs) are getting caught and doctors that prescribe drugs are being found out. It is unbelievable that there are still doctors that try to stay ahead of the testing and condone cheating. They are a disgrace to their profession and the athletes that listen to them are just as bad.
It is unbelievable that there is still that big a problem but fortunately the testing is ahead of them and done often. Not only risking shame and elimination and hurting their team but also sponsors are getting stricter and when one is caught it is many sponsors' policy to drop the sponsorship per corporate policy so let's hope that the race keeps getting cleaner every year.

Phil C
07-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Carlos Sastre wins the yellow jersey in this year's TDF. He did a great time trial to cinch the well deserved victory. A surprising and disappointing effort by Cadel Evans who picked a bad time to have one of the worse time trials in his career.

Phil C
07-26-2008, 11:53 AM
A great effort by Carlos but I still feel the wrong Spainard won. This race as it now stands was decided by the whim of the French authorities who didn't let last Year's winner Contador or Levi race even though they have always tested negative in the drug tests. No way Carlos could beat Contador and if Levi had raced this year I think there is a possibility he would have won it.

turbostud
07-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Cadel Evans didnt deserve to win. He hadnt won a stage nor had he attacked one time during the entire TdF. The right man won. I agree Phil, It would have been a different TdF with Contador and Levi in the race. Sastre deserved the win though, his attack and ride up Alpe D Huez was a great effort. I wish VandeVelde would have placed better but he has a few more years to fine tune his skills.

Phil C
07-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Right you are turbostud. As has been the large majority of the cases the winner is determined in the mountain stages again as Sastre did on the 17th stage which was expected. I just didn't think it would be enough but I was wrong. Once again a reminder that the TDF is won in the mountains and not time trials.

Phil C
07-26-2008, 04:55 PM
The thing ironic is that Austrailian O'Grady helped Sastre win the TDF over his countryman and now he will be celebrating with Sastre at the podium tomorrow and then going to China to work with his fellow countryman Evans in the Olympics. Strange world isn't it?

Phil C
07-27-2008, 06:04 PM
The Tour is Over. Veve le Tour. There were as usual some surprises, disappointments and expected results. Unfortunately there were drug scandales but the message and sponsors are getting it across to the riders to not cheat and their is optimism that the scandals will be less in the future.
The last stage happened and was a mere formality as usual with everyone riding together until a final sprint for the sprinters who were not contenders to get a chance for glory to win the last stage and it was won by Gert Steegmans who had come so close in an earlier stage.
The overall winner (yellow jersey) stayed the same with the top three places being 1. Carlos Sastre 2. Cadel Evans and 3. Bernard Kohl. In last place was Wim Vansevenant who won what is called the Lanterne Rouge. 145 out of 180 riders finished the race which is the usual amount within the 30-40 average yearly casualties.
In the green jersey for sprint points the winner was Oscar Freire followed by Thor Hushovd and Erik Zabel.
For the polka dot jersey (mountain stage points) the winner was Bernhard Kohl folllowed by a tie for second and third between Carlos Sastre and Frank Schleck.
The white jersey (best young rider under age 25 at 1-1-08) was won by Andy Schleck followed by Roma Kreuzigar and Vincenzo Nibaily.
There is no award for overall team standings but still it is great publicity for the sponsors and it was won by Team CSC this year.
Most Combative Award went to Sylvian Chavanel. This award is to the overall rider that may not have won a stage but he was very aggressive and made several attacks.

Phil C
07-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Carlos Sastre of Spain has won the yellow jersey which is the main one. But I wish to point out that it is not really a national event because all the teams are composed of several players from various countries and to get the yellow jersey is a team effort. At age 33 Sastre has picked the right year to win the tour. The experts don't think he will win next year because there are lots of young riders coming up and still some in their late 20s and early 30s that have a shot. Next year two of the top three finishers are expected to be back in Levi Leipheimer and George Contador (last year's winner). They were not allowed on the whim of the French due to former team riders caught cheating even though these two have been tested often and were never positive. It was because of some of their teammates past reputations that they suffered this year. Also the great cycling coach Johan Bruyneel will hopefully have a team. His analysis this year as a tv commentator was great but he belongs in a team car. Hopefully he will have a team to direct next year.

The Tour is over and again Veve le Tour. It has got us through most of July and we now have August where we can enjoy the olympics and then our favorite sports season of football starts!
After football we will be able to get through with basketball, baseball, track and field, etc. Then in July we get to enjoy another Tour de France in 2009! Let the anticipation begin!

BILLYFRED0000
07-28-2008, 07:14 AM
I thought it was cool that Team CSC was tops again. I work for CSC and we follow it although this last couple of years the drug mess has really turned me off to the whole thing.

Phil C
07-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I thought it was cool that Team CSC was tops again. I work for CSC and we follow it although this last couple of years the drug mess has really turned me off to the whole thing.

I know what you mean Billy but hang in there. They are working hard to get it cleaned up. They are drug testing much more and catching the cheats and getting the message across for riders to not use drugs. It is a felony in France now to do drugs so that helps.

Phil C
07-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I have been told and from what I gather is that drugs were not a problem until the very early 90s. That is when three time winner Greg LeMond thinks so. He had won two straight in 1989 and 1990. It was after the 1990 that some of the riders started beating him by racing unbelievable stages and he thinks they were drugged. I don't know but some commentators think that the officials weren't paying attention to it since the TDF was getting popular and there was lots of money going around so that it basically in the 90s was wink wink. But in 1999 and in the early 2000s the officials began the war on drugs. Some feel that it was because they resented Lance Armstrong and an American winning the TDF so much. They began testing everyone but Lance never tested positive while others did. It was that negative publicity that has got them to working on improving testing techniques and testing more often which I think is going to have a positive impact on the sport in the long run.

Phil C
07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Remember that even though the awards have been done and the winners announced they are not completely official until the final drug tests are completed. Hopefully there won't be any changes. Hopefully also as technology advances the testing can be done more quickly and closer.