PDA

View Full Version : What does the 4th of July mean to you?

JR2004
07-04-2008, 01:18 PM
My perspective on the day is from a bit of a historical perspective due to being a history buff so take it for what it's worth.

I think about a group of delegates who came together to sign a document that proclaimed their independence from the most powerful nation on the face of the earth. I imagine that those brave men knew that in signing the Declaration of Independence they had signed their own death warrant if they lost the war. Think about that for a minute. How many of us would have done the same thing if we were in that position? How many of us would sign something that had a high probability of leading us to the end of a rope? My guess would be not many of us would have done the same as those men did and sign that declaration.

I also think about a rag tag army that was going up against the greatest empire the world had ever seen up to that point. There were professional armies from countries hundreds of years old that could not stand up to the British on the field of battle and walk away with a win. What chance did a bunch of poorly trained and even more poorly equipped soldiers have against the Goliath of their time? To call the rebel army David is being generous at best.

I know Tom Brokaw wrote a book calling the soldiers of WWII the Greatest Generation, but to me the folks who stood up to the Redcoats and didn't back down were the greatest generation of Americans there has ever been or ever will be. They had no war machine to back them up to keep them properly supplied. They often went without pay and had so little food during the winter months that soldiers resorted to eating their own dogs and often ate their old shoes or the bark from trees. They often had no shoes for their feet in tempertures well below freezing and blankets that were almost paper thin. The deck was completely stacked against them, but they had one advantage in their favor that ultimately led to victory. They were fighting for their freedom and thousands gave their lives in the battle for Independence. We owe our freedom today to those folks who sacrificed everything and stood up to the world's greatest power and didn't back down an inch.

BILLYFRED0000
07-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I watched the Patriot again last night in honor of this occasion.

Tho they played around with the lead a lot and it is not accurate in it's entirety, it captures the essential emotions and issues quite well.... The one scene where his second son is killed and the house burns says it all. He goes inside to get his arsenal, 4 muskets, handguns, knives and his hatchet arms his remaining two oldest boys and goes to save his oldest. These men defended themselves all the time and their country when necessary and they did it themselves. They certainly did not email their congressman and complain about something somebody did in some other state or country. They dealt with life and death. And wrote the Declaration and the Constitution with these experiences in mind. It is a great country in which we live with all her flaws and I love her.

And a new law now allows ex military to salute the flag legally in civvies anytime the flag is displayed. I cannot wait to have my opportunity to do so. God Bless America.

STANG RED
07-04-2008, 10:48 PM
On days like this I think back a few years to a time we could really enjoy all the freedoms our brave forefathers fought for. A time when "In God We Trust" wasnt considered a bad phrase. A time when a prayer before a Friday night football game was a non questioned and honored tradition respected by all. A time when the phrase "One Nation Under God" was sacred and unchallenged.

I still think this is the greatest nation that has ever graced the face of the earth, and truley believe it was by the grace of God that we were so allowed to flourish way beyond what was possible anywhere else on earth. But now that we as a nation are just throwing it all back in God's face without appreciation, I wonder how long before we feel his full wrath. I hope and pray we wise up and turn things around again some day. Maybe we will.

Johnny 5
07-05-2008, 01:50 AM
These are my thoughts . . . the opening sentence was a response to someone in the RGV forums who was talking about rebellion.

----------------------------------------------------------

Actually, it is your right and your responsibility to rebel and replace the government if they are not following the constitution.

Tomas Jefferson - "I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governments so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."

The first amendment gives us all we need to rebel. the right to speak freely, the right of press. The right to own weapons.

Furthermore, the founding fathers expected us to do just that

Declaration of Independence - WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness – That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it . . . .

Since the civil war, the government of the USA has started to overstep its boundaries made in these documents. Under Lincoln, our country changed. We went from being the United STATES of America to being THE United States of America. The states are not free anymore. The federal government is over them, when it should be opposite. You can't make a difference on someone 1500 miles away. These people in Washington are not doing the will of the people. They are infringing on our freedoms. They will not stop until until they have complete control, or are thwarted by we the people. Each day it will get harder and harder to do.

The rebellion is rising. I can assure you. It is the Gen X and Gen Y leading the way. This is America's last hope.

Are you willing to lay down your life for your country . . . for the vision that these men had 230 years ago?

I am.

Gobbla2001
07-05-2008, 11:00 AM
it reminds me that we won our independence on the 2nd of July... also reminds me that I need to not drink and drive on that night because the law will be out in full force... also reminds me how much I need to remember Texas Independence Day when that comes back around, because I honestly think I like Texas a little bit more...

all in all, a great holiday, a great way to remember how we came to be this big, mostly successful country we are today... and a good excuse to blow stuff up... amen...

Necks_Fan
07-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't think about the historical aspect like you guys do.

On July 4th, or any day for that matter, I sit back and think about my brother.

He's in Iraq, his wife left him while he was gone, took his money because she had power of attorney, used it to buy her and a guy an apartment, then sold his stuff.

I think about everything he is doing for me, you, and everyone else and how she could do this to him. I think about our country, where it's going, how people can make jokes and call our leader an idiot. I think about "Gay marriage, pregnant men, etc."-- all the things that are wrong with this country, then I sit and I thank God for everything I do have.

I pray for my brother and all the other soldiers fighting for us.

Most of all, instead of complaing about things I don't have, I thank everyone for everything I do have and let all the veterans know I appreciate their sacrifice.

Old Tiger
07-05-2008, 01:49 PM
nothing

STANG RED
07-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
nothing

How sad that you were privileged enough to be born and live in this great country, and yet not be able to appreciate what it took in American blood and perseverance to create this amazing nation. I would feel sorry for you, but it would be a waste of my time.

Old Tiger
07-05-2008, 06:13 PM
this country is not that great

Emerson1
07-05-2008, 06:19 PM
We all know gays are accepted in other countries, but that doesn't mean you should hate the U.S.

Necks_Fan
07-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
We all know gays are accepted in other countries, but that doesn't mean you should hate the U.S. Haha

:clap:

Necks_Fan
07-06-2008, 07:33 AM
this country is not that great This is exactly my point. What country is better than this?

I guess you are so deprived because you live in the US.

:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
What country is better than this?

Uhhhhh The Republic of Texas? duhhh

Footballhudini
07-07-2008, 02:18 AM
A quote from a movie (1976 setting):

Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes.

big daddy russ
07-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
Since the civil war, the government of the USA has started to overstep its boundaries made in these documents. Under Lincoln, our country changed. We went from being the United STATES of America to being THE United States of America. The states are not free anymore. The federal government is over them, when it should be opposite.
I love all the history being thrown around on this thread. Just to add a little something to your argument, Johnny, go back and read Robert E. Lee's quotes when asked if he would stay with the union.

I forget the exact quote, but it's something along the lines of, "I can't abandon my country."

When talking about his country, he wasn't talking about the USA, the Union, or the Confederacy. He was talking about Virginia.

Our way of thinking has changed a lot in the past 150 years, hasn't it?

ronwx5x
07-07-2008, 08:50 AM

Judging from this comment I think it is a safe bet you've never lived in another country. Probably never even visited, except maybe Cancun, which is almost an extension of a US beach town but with fewer rules (like drinking laws). People who have served in uniform to keep what we have possess a greater respect for our freedom than this and take comments like this as ignorant or immature. I know I have my own opinion here. Good luck finding that "better" country to live in!

ronwx5x
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Our way of thinking has changed a lot in the past 150 years, hasn't it?

Gosh, I certainly hope so. Universal suffrage, slavery, right to kill anyone you believe cheated you, open prostitution, poor house, jail for being unable to pay your bills. Yeah, where are the good old days. Russ, you are smarter than this.

big daddy russ
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Gosh, I certainly hope so. Universal suffrage, slavery, right to kill anyone you believe cheated you, open prostitution, poor house, jail for being unable to pay your bills. Yeah, where are the good old days. Russ, you are smarter than this.
I know I am. I majored in political science. ;)

I was talking about smaller federal government, not about slavery.

maroonpirate04
07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
4th Of July + Will Smith = Summer Blockbuster Hit:D when it comes to the holiday these days Will Smith has that spark to make big blockbuster hits a success

garciap77
07-08-2008, 12:25 PM

OK!.:( Name on that is.