PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Coming Up: Favorite Moments?

Matthew328
07-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Mine has to be the 1992 Barcelona Games when the guy from Great Britian tore his hamstring in the race and with the help of his dad finished...very touching....they have a commercial about it now...

Of course I hear all about the 1992 Olympics since my girlfriends dad ran for Canada in the 400 in those games...

sahen
07-03-2008, 10:54 PM
last summer olympics were cool for a baylor fan...2 baylor bears running in the 4X400m relay that won gold and Wariner winning gold in the 400m....could happen again this year as Wariner will be running in the 400m again and will be the favorite even though he got 2nd in the trials (dang Merritt!) and another Bear got 4th (also another Bear got 6th, so its possible to get 3 golds since they use 6 guys for relay preliminaries).....we will see....

the olympics when that girl had the broken foot/ankle and had to make the vault on one leg to win the team gold was pretty sweet even if your not a gymnastics fan that was some crazy stuff...

STANG RED
07-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I loved when the big farm boy from Kansas or Nebraska or wherever beat the big undefeated russian in the super heavyweights in grecco roman wrestling. I'll never forget the look on the russians face, or the joy of the big ol farm boy and his family.

And when the gold medalist pulled Evander Holyfield up on to his podiem because he knew the Koreans had screwed Evander over so badly, and that he should have rightly been wearing the gold medal instead. That was pure great sportsmanship right there. And the way Evander handled the whole thing of getting screwed the way he did showed how much class he had as well.

And since you didnt specify winter or summer olympics, who can ever forget the hockey game against the russians? I dont even like hockey, but that game was about so much more than hockey or sports of any kind. It was simply amazing.
If your too young to remember it, you should see the movie about it. Great movie!

LH Panther Mom
07-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Mark Spitz :inlove: :inlove:

BobcatBenny
07-04-2008, 06:17 AM
OK, this has got to be someone's favorite Olympic moment! ;)

link removed

Is that an a$$ hat? :eek:

eagles_victory
07-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

And since you didnt specify winter or summer olympics, who can ever forget the hockey game against the russians? I dont even like hockey, but that game was about so much more than hockey or sports of any kind. It was simply amazing.
If your too young to remember it, you should see the movie about it. Great movie! Well the winter olympics arent coming up lol

STANG RED
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Well the winter olympics arent coming up lol

Sure they are. Just a couple years down the road is all. But that still qualifies as coming up.:taunt: :p

themsu97
07-05-2008, 07:56 AM
1980 at Lake Placid, New York... the US victory over the Russians 4-3...

How about Mary Lou Retton in 1980 as well...

DUKE22
07-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I loved when the big farm boy from Kansas or Nebraska or wherever beat the big undefeated russian in the super heavyweights in grecco roman wrestling. I'll never forget the look on the russians face, or the joy of the big ol farm boy and his family.

And when the gold medalist pulled Evander Holyfield up on to his podiem because he knew the Koreans had screwed Evander over so badly, and that he should have rightly been wearing the gold medal instead. That was pure great sportsmanship right there. And the way Evander handled the whole thing of getting screwed the way he did showed how much class he had as well.

If your too young to remember it, you should see the movie about it. Great movie! Holyfield was DQED in the 84 Olympics in the Semis he won Bronze, I think you are talking about Roy Jones.

STANG RED
07-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by DUKE22
Holyfield was DQED in the 84 Olympics in the Semis he won Bronze, I think you are talking about Roy Jones.

No, I'm talking about Holyfield. Yes he did get the bronze, but the guy that won the gold, pulled him up on the podiem with him after they got their medals. I remember it very clearly. Holyfield got DQd for a late hit coming out of a break, that was BS. The ref was Korean and he was completely out of position and speaking in Korean. I dont know how you say break in Korean, and evidentally neither did Evander. But the guy wasnt stepping in like he was suppose to anyway. He got screwed! Would have won the gold easily.

DUKE22
07-07-2008, 01:36 PM
No, I'm talking about Holyfield. Yes he did get the bronze, but the guy that won the gold, pulled him up on the podiem with him after they got their medals. I remember it very clearly. Holyfield got DQd for a late hit coming out of a break, that was BS. The ref was Korean and he was completely out of position and speaking in Korean. I dont know how you say break in Korean, and evidentally neither did Evander. But the guy wasnt stepping in like he was suppose to anyway. He got screwed! Would have won the gold easily. Ok I gotcha Stang they way i read it I thought you were saying Holyfield fought a Korean for the Gold Medal, my bad.

jlg043
07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by sahen
last summer olympics were cool for a baylor fan...2 baylor bears running in the 4X400m relay that won gold and Wariner winning gold in the 400m....could happen again this year as Wariner will be running in the 400m again and will be the favorite even though he got 2nd in the trials (dang Merritt!) and another Bear got 4th (also another Bear got 6th, so its possible to get 3 golds since they use 6 guys for relay preliminaries).....we will see....

the olympics when that girl had the broken foot/ankle and had to make the vault on one leg to win the team gold was pretty sweet even if your not a gymnastics fan that was some crazy stuff...

Im a HUGE track fan and I love watching Baylor 400 runners compete year after year. They have a great track program. Also, the girls name was Kerry Scruggs and that was a good moment. Only reason I know that is b/c my sister was in love with the Mag 7 w/ Dominque Mouciono or however you spell her last name.

The worse one is when the U.S. mens b-ball team got screwed over. Im not sure which year and I want to say they were playing Russia and the time expired like three times and they kept putting time on the clock till the other team finally scored. The US team never picked those medals up and are still in that vault till this day.