PDA

View Full Version : Im scared should i be

orange machine
07-03-2008, 06:01 PM
My wife just took our 8 week old daughter to the Dr. and they said she had a heart murmur. Does anybody have a child with this condition and if so is it bad. What do i do?

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
My youngest was born with one. It closed up before he turned a year old and he has never had any problems. :)

BobcatBenny
07-03-2008, 06:03 PM
More than likely it is nothing, but it is good they will be watching it.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I had an irregular heartbeat when I was 18 and went to a cardiologist, who told me that I had a small murmur that caused it.

However, I was also told that for some people, that's just how their body works, mine included. So it didn't really matter that I had it, just that I was functioning with it. I didn't miss any athletics or other activities. I just am the way I am.

Hopefully its the same with your daughter.

Ranger Mom
07-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I have worked in several hospitals and Dr. offices over the past years. Heart murmurs are very common and the vast majority cause no problems.

How did I not know you had an 8 week old daughter....you know I require pictures, don't you?

charlesrixey
07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
More than likely it is nothing, but it is good they will be watching it.
ditto!

orange machine
07-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have worked in several hospitals and Dr. offices over the past years. Heart murmurs are very common and the vast majority cause no problems.

How did I not know you had an 8 week old daughter....you know I require pictures, don't you?

I get them asap.

Phil C
07-03-2008, 09:44 PM
You are doing the right thing in taking your child to the doctor. I had one when I was about 8 and I got over it and there was no sign of it anymore when I was a teen plus I just turned 60 years old last week.

zebrablue2
07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You are doing the right thing in taking your child to the doctor. I had one when I was about 8 and I got over it and there was no sign of it anymore when I was a teen plus I just turned 60 years old last week.

thats 60 yrs. YOUNG phil....

orange machine
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the info. Being a new parent is stressful, i thought my baby girl was in serious trouble when i heard that, but i guess its just something that happens to alot of babies and adults. Once again thank for all your responses.:)

pirate4state
07-04-2008, 10:40 AM
First - congrats on the new baby girl! I'm with Ranger Mom - shame on you for not bragging & sharing pics. ;)

Second - I have a little cousin who was born with a heart murmer. He is on medication and goes to the doctor frequently. Hopefully, your daughters isn't as serious and it will work itself out on its own.

Keep us posted.

JR2004
07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
My wife just took our 8 week old daughter to the Dr. and they said she had a heart murmur. Does anybody have a child with this condition and if so is it bad. What do i do?

I was born with a heart murmur, but it's never kept me from doing anything I want to do. Some heart murmurs can be more serious, but hopefully your daughter will be just fine.

purpleandgold
07-04-2008, 11:18 AM
My oldest son was born with a heart murmur. The doctor said he told us about it so that we could tell hospital staff that he had one if he ever got sick and had to go in. he said the staff might freak and do unusual things if they did not realize the murmur was normal for him. He was never sick but he did have football injuries that caused hospital visits. They just gave him an extra antibiotic with his IV. Other than that he has had no problems. he played high school football, baseball and ran track!(he was one of the 3 running backs for LH that racked up the 3rd most rushing yards in high school history)

WOS87
07-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Probably nothing to be overly concerned about. I actually was born with a murmur and have had to go to cardiologists regularly my whole life and nothing has come of it.

Here's a good article on heart murmurs and infants:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/murmurs.html

Cameron Crazy
07-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I have had some friends that had that and didn't get to play football, but, now they are fine.

I guess as you mature it closes up and everything seems fine.

orange machine
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I thought i would let yall all know that my daughter seems is doing much better.

LH Panther Mom
07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I thought i would let yall all know that my daughter seems is doing much better.
That's good to hear!