PDA

View Full Version : ROGERS High School hires Coach from Liberty Hill coaching staff

duckpluck
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Just read on another message board that Coach Walker from Liberty Hill is hired by Rogers to be the Head Coach.

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
It's on here, too. ;)

duckpluck
07-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I am sure you knew already LHMom. You were just waiting for someone to post it. LOL

Milk That Cow
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Did he call the plays in Liberty Hill?

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by duckpluck
I am sure you knew already LHMom. You were just waiting for someone to post it. LOL
LOL! No, I posted it on another thread early this morning.

BobcatBenny
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by duckpluck
I am fairly certain she meant this thread. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83873

duckpluck
07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Darn I missed it.
Yes he called the plays.

solocam
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Yep he called the plays and will be greatly missed here
When Jerry hired him he gave him the offensive play book and said this is yours,make it work,and that he did better than anyone in the state
Give him a few years at Rogers and they will be making runs deep into the playoffs
He was also the strength and conditiong coach,You boys in Rogers get ready to run even after scrimmages

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by solocam
You boys in Rogers get ready to run even after scrimmages
Gassers! I can hardly wait for scrimmages. :)

Old Tiger
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
well I expect Rogers to get good within the next 2-3 years

K-MAC Chuck
07-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Did he call the plays in Liberty Hill?

That's an understatement...Walker had the call on the offense, period..it was a great system LHHS had worked out...what makes things work is everyone on the coaching staff understands his role and executes it to a "t"...

I talked to Coach Walker this afternoon (Thursday)...He was very torn up about leaving Liberty Hill, but said he was excited about the potential at Rogers..."Jerry Jeff" Walker will definitely be missed, but let's face it - he was due to get a head coach/AD job somewhere over the course of time, he found the right combo at Rogers...

wimbo_pro
07-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow...now the OC is gone!! Talk about a huge mountain to overcome...most of your best talent graduated, only 7 or so returning starters, a tough schedule and now the OC is no longer there.

If LH wins another championship this year, it will be one of the most impressive feats in HS football in quite a while (IMO). THAT would be what you would call a "dynasty". It will be interesting to watch.

espn1
07-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Looks like the Hill will be feeling the same pains we did in Burnet after making it to State Twice and losing our Offensive Coord. to Permian.

sinton66
07-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Surprizing that he turned down two 3A HC/AD positions and takes a 2A. Don't understand that at all.

BobcatBenny
07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Surprizing that he turned down two 3A HC/AD positions and takes a 2A. Don't understand that at all.
Don't you think that coach Walker's offense would make a faster impact in the 2A ranks?

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Did you not read my other posts? :confused: (He wasn't the one in the running for the FF job.....and there's more stuff on the other thread, too.)

maestro
07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
new oc at liberty hill needs to be coach duncan...

he knows his stuff....

espn1
07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by maestro

he knows his stuff.... I'm sure Vance knows who he wants for his number one man.

catdaddy
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Not that it matters but my vote is for Coach Draper... Vance has yet to ask me for my input and has somehow managed to get by.:confused:

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 04:35 PM

he knows his stuff....
Well, he's the DC now, so...... ;)

Daddy D 11
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
this isnt good, Walker was a really big part of the program:(

sinton66
07-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Did you not read my other posts? :confused: (He wasn't the one in the running for the FF job.....and there's more stuff on the other thread, too.)

Okay, well, he turned down one 3A HC/AD position for sure. And no, I didn't read the other posts. I've been on vacation.:doh:

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 07:36 PM
And no, I didn't read the other posts.
It happens to the best of us. ;)

Maroon87
07-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by solocam
You boys in Rogers get ready to run even after scrimmages

Ah yes...a Phil Danaher trademark. I remember running after a Saturday morning scrimmage in Laredo one year. It had to have been 120 degrees. Walker was right there with us.

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Don't you think that coach Walker's offense would make a faster impact in the 2A ranks?
I'm not certain that it would. It will take a team being receptive to the big change, at any classification. OPP runs it (or did) and their coach came from the Bush group.

Additup
07-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Not necessarily a faster impact in 2A - 1st season is a big learning curve for Slot-T regardless of the A's involved.

I'm sure Coach Walker will be a good fit for Rogers and Rogers will be a good fit for him.

I don't think LH has lost a varsity football assistant in 5 seasons (don't quote me on it though). Coach Vance will be the first to admit that being able to keep them together has been a big a factor in their success.

Hill Man
07-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Additup
Not necessarily a faster impact in 2A - 1st season is a big learning curve for Slot-T regardless of the A's involved.

I'm sure Coach Walker will be a good fit for Rogers and Rogers will be a good fit for him.

I don't think LH has lost a varsity football assistant in 5 seasons (don't quote me on it though). Coach Vance will be the first to admit that being able to keep them together has been a big a factor in their success.

They have lost one or two every season.. Job changes or retirement.. Before last season two long time assistants and instrumental fixtures at LH left the program, Barnes and Roberts. New ones have come in every season, but Jerry mixes them with the remaining core to digest the program.

Jeff is a key loss and the biggest to move on.. There will be a concern if the offense will miss a step with him gone but you got to rememember, it starts at the top and always has.. with Jerry Vance.. Koodos to Jeff however.. he was a wonderful coach who worked Jerry's system to perfection..

K-MAC Chuck
07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
And no, I didn't read the other posts.

Slacker..:D :doh: :nerd: :devil:

K-MAC Chuck
07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
this isnt good, Walker was a really big part of the program:(

I'll agree that it's a BIG loss..but at the same time, you know Vance knew this was going to happen eventually...

consider the fact Walker has only submitted a resume twice..while he's been contacted NUMEROUS times by schools who knew about him!

It won't be easy to replace "Jerry Jeff" Walker..but this program is built well enough - and solid enough - that (just like replacing graduating players) someone will step into that role and perform it well...

JMO

LH Panther Mom
07-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
I'll agree that it's a BIG loss..but at the same time, you know Vance knew this was going to happen eventually...

consider the fact Walker has only submitted a resume twice..while he's been contacted NUMEROUS times by schools who knew about him!

It won't be easy to replace "Jerry Jeff" Walker..but this program is built well enough - and solid enough - that (just like replacing graduating players) someone will step into that role and perform it well...

JMO
I wonder if this scared him off????? :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck

ARTICLE
HEADLINE: PRODDED ON BY 3ADL, LIBERTY HILL CHANGES ITS OFFENSE FROM SLOT-T TO SPREAD FOR 2008

By Chuck Licata, Independent Sports

Spurred on by the "very knowledgable" football residents of 3ADL (www.3adownlow.com), Liberty Hill High School football guru Jerry Vance announced today he was changing the vaunted Slot-T offense at the Central Texas school.

"We're going to change to the Spread offense," Vance declared from his 15-room mansion in Liberty Hill. "We got the idea from the folks at 3ADL, especially from the highly-respected Go Blue, who alerted us that 'times are changng.'"

Vance continued, "Yes, they are changing, despite our run of 2 straight state championships. I feel bad for Tim Dean (duckpluck), who insists we should stay with the Slot-T. Even LHPM feels we shouldn't change - altho, The Beast better start working harder if he's going to earn a starting spot on the O-Line! But heck, when you have Waterboy saying we need to change - and DaHop72 claiming our first state title doesn't count - we knew we had to start paying attention to the advice given us by the board."

Vance admitted the Slot-T's had its day in the sun, but...

"It's time to start throwing the ball, gosh darn it. I need to start developing Pro Quarterbacks here at Liberty HIll and I can't do that by throwing the ball just 2.5 times per game. Hey, if we're scoring a touchdown every third pass ATTEMPT, then we just flat out need to throw the ball more."

Sinton66 agreed.

"It's about time we see some exciting football out of that small Central Texas town," he stated. "I never understood the reason for staying with the Slot-T for so long. Yes, it does win games (and championships), but high school football should be about the fans and what they want. That's why we're happy Coach Vance finally came to his senses and started following the advice of the folks on 3ADL."

Tim Dean disagreed.

"I just don't get it," said Dean, who went into a self-imposed coma after Vance made the announcement. "The Slot-T has a great track record, why change now? And besides - I was the play-by-play man for one championship, I want at least one more before I get hired by Barack Obama after Obama wins the upcoming presidential election."

Larry G, a noted LHHS historian and local bum/homeless man who lives off the scraps from The Hobo Depot (a local eatery), said rebellion is not far behind. (Keep in mind, Larry G. has a bit of a combination speech impedement/Texas twang).

"This-here tahn (town) has gone nuts," he spit out between bites of a 2-day old cheeseburger. "I done don't think that-there Vance guy is gonna make it true da upcomin season. I no dat some of duh boys is really upset and that sum of dem is talkin about goin to anothu scool."

The town hobo concluded, "Heck, if we was suppost to be passin da dang ball, we'd have wings!"

K-MAC Chuck
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM

he knows his stuff....

Vance tabs "LHPM" for new OC

By Chuck Licata
LH Independent Sports

Liberty Hill High School head coach Jerry Vance announced he would fill the vacancy left by Offensive Coordinator "Jerry" Jeff Walker by hiring Deb - aka "LHPM" on the 3ADL - as his new offensive coordinator.

"I feel that 'Mom' has enough knowledge of this offense that she can step right in and pick it up where Coach Walker is leaving it," said Vance, who saw Walker take the head job at Rogers HS, a 2A program.

Asked about LHPM's realtionship with her son "The Beast," Vance said, "Well, he's been slacking lately, so I'm hoping she can insprie him to start peforming up to snuff. And realize, it'll be MY decision on his playing time - if he gets any!"

Reached for comment, LHPM was beside herself. "Wow, what a surprise!" she exclaimed. "I never knew I was even in the running for this position. Yes, it came as a shock but I feel I'm more-than-qualified. I will admit, though, you'll probably see us throw a few more than 2.5 passes per game. And don't be surprised if Brandon Terry's name is at the top of the receiving charts."

Immediately upon her appointment, LHPM announced she was bringing in the following to join her staff: RangerMom, BBDE, GoBlue and Hill Man.

Upon hearing this news, Tim Dean (duckpluck) announced his candidacy for a Moderator's position on 3ADL.

BobcatBenny
07-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Heck, I sent Coach Vance my resume for the OC position.

I figure Liberty Hill will NOT promote from with-in like every other team in the state.

So, when I thought about it. I realized I had as much experience with the Slot-T as anyone outside of Liberty Hill. :thinking:

But, when I get there, those boys better be ready, because I will put them on a weight program. There is no reason why Liberty Hill should not have a decent sized line. :nerd:

K-MAC Chuck
07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
For those who might be interested, this is my story in today's Liberty Hill paper:

Jeff Walker leaves LHHS coaching staff; Draper, Herman promoted

By Chuck Licata
Independent Sports

Jeff Walker, the offensive coordinator at Liberty Hill High School for the past seven years, accepted an offer to become the new athletic director and head football coach at Rogers High School.
Walker announced his decision last Tuesday (July 1) to take over at Rogers, located 65 miles northeast of Liberty Hill.
“Becoming the athletic director – that excites me to have a say in all the programs,” Walker revealed. “I love all sports and want to be involved in all of the sports and help them all succeed.”
Jerry Vance, Liberty Hill’s AD/head coach, announced this past Monday that Robert Draper would be promoted to assistant head coach and Brian Herman would take over as LHHS offensive coordinator. He also said the search was on for another addition to the Liberty Hill coaching staff.
“I’m happy for Jeff because it’s what he’s wanted – to be both the athletic director and head coach,” Vance said Monday morning. “I don’t like the timing of this, but I don’t have control of that. I’m happy for Jeff and I expect him to do very well.”
Walker’s departure was the first real defection of a coach off Vance’s staff – one that has guided the Panthers to back-to-back Class 3A state championships. Walker admitted to having been contacted several times over the past couple of years about head coaching positions – something that would be expected of a good staff that has built a winning tradition.
“That’s always flattering (to have other schools interested in coaches on your staff),” Vance admitted. “Obviously, I think men in our position are goal-oriented and driven and want to be head coaches. When you put together a program, one of the successful things about a winning program is that the coaching staff stays together. We’ve been able to do that for a long time and the results have spoken for themselves.”
Because of Liberty Hill’s high profile among Texas high school football programs, some of the “experts” – and many on message-board web sites – feel the Panthers will experience a drop in their offensive prowess because of Walker’s departure.
“There are some out there who think we’re not going to be able to do the things we’ve done in the past,” Vance said. “Well, none of us see it that way. We have just as much a chance now as we did before. We’re going to approach this season as we always do – we’re going to take things one game at a time and shoot for the playoffs. If we make the playoffs then we’ll concentrate on having a good amount of success (in the postseason).”
Walker was contacted by Rogers ISD officials a couple of weeks ago about the opening created when former AD John Stillwell resigned.
“They called and asked me to interview with their administrative committee,” Walker said. “After the interview they called back two days later and said I was a finalist. I interviewed in front of the board on Monday (June 30) and they offered me the job Tuesday morning (July 1). They offered me the job at 9 a.m. and told me I had until 8 p.m. that night to decide! They had another finalist and didn’t want to leave a guy hanging if I wasn’t going to take the job.”
Walker continued, “I was leaning towards taking it before I talked to my wife about it. We talked it out and considered all the factors. It’s close enough that I don’t have to move right away. I did tell them I wanted to bring in my brother (Kent, a coach at Round Rock High School) as my right-hand man. That helped seal the deal.”
The move came so suddenly and quickly that Walker had no time to talk to most LHISD administrators and board members.
“It’s a real shame because I haven’t had time to thank the school board in person or by phone or whatever,” he began. “I really, really appreciate all they’ve done for me. From Dr. Andrews to the administration to the school board – I can’t thank them enough. They let us come in and do our thing.”
Walker added, “I want to reiterate I’m going to miss the young men and women of Liberty Hill. They’ve been a big part of my life for the last seven years. I’m going to miss their hard work ethic and ‘coach-ability.’ I know they can (move on) without me – the kids have been wonderful, they’re great kids who know how to win.”

K-MAC Chuck
07-10-2008, 03:42 PM
And here's my column..again, only for those who might be interested!

Walker’s departure will make an impact at both LHHS and Rogers

By Chuck Licata
Final Score

One of the biggest off-season coaching changes happened while the Independent was taking its annual Independence Day vacation.
And believe me – it was enough to set off its own fireworks.
LHHS offensive coordinator Jeff Walker – a lot of folks, including myself, liked calling him “Jerry Jeff” – announced Tuesday he was leaving the Panthers to take over as athletic director at Rogers High School.
I doubt I have to explain the impact Walker’s departure at Liberty Hill has made on the state high school football landscape.
You could call this a “Texas two-step” – as it affects both Liberty Hill and Rogers (a member of District 25-2A) in a big way.
The obvious part is on the LHHS side – the Panthers lose Walker’s play-calling prowess as well as his ability to help head coach Jerry Vance and the Liberty Hill staff develop players on the “O-side” of the ball.
As for Rogers – well, this is a football program that’s had moderate success (5-5 overall last season) but hasn’t establish a winning program on a consistent basis.
Oh yah – this is also a Rogers program that’s used to throwing the football a lot. Considering Walker will implement the Slot-T offense at the school located 65 miles northeast of Liberty Hill, the Eagles’ players are about to do a complete about-face in their football preparations – not to mention their entire operating procedure and mental mindset.
As I talked to Walker, I asked him what he knew about the Rogers’ football team.
“Nothing,” Walker replied quickly and honestly. “I know (the Eagles) won the 2007 (2A) state baseball championship but I don’t know a lot about their football team. I do know, though, they have some tough kids – a few coaches said they have that reputation. They’ve had some success in football, just not on a consistent basis.”
As for bringing the Slot-T offense to Rogers, Walker said, “Actually I was hesitant to do that but then I met a few of the kids and they seemed receptive to the Slot-T. I met the quarterback (Chance Marek) and (jokingly) told him he wouldn’t be throwing the ball 180 times a game like he had in the past. The kids seemed receptive to this change; they were looking at it as a ‘breath of fresh air.’
“It’ll be slow-and-go at first; their practices will be a lot different. They’ll go from two-point stance to four-point stance. I’ve met two coaches and they seem excited about the change.”
One of the highlights for Walker is that he’ll bring his brother, Kent, up north with him. Kent was the receivers coach at Round Rock High School. I joked that Kent wouldn’t get a lot of work as a receivers coach at Rogers. “Well,” Walker said while laughing, “I think he’s going to work with our defense up there.”
Walker, who officially went on vacation this past Monday, was also working on hiring a new baseball coach this week. He expects to bring in 1-2 more coaches before all is said and done.
The big thing that helped make his decision – besides the chance to work with his brother on the same coaching staff – was getting the chance to be an athletic director. “Being the AD – that excites me to have a say in all the programs,” Walker revealed. “I love all sports and want to be involved in all of the sports and help them all succeed.
“When I talked to some of the Liberty Hill players on Tuesday, I told them that we all set goals - team goals, player goals, coaching goals, etc. I told them I set a goal in high school to be a head coach and AD and now I’ve reached that goal. Believe me, those kids are in good hands and can take care of themselves; I wouldn’t have left if I didn’t think they were in good hands.”
Right here is where Walker’s voice got a little softer – while he was talking about leaving Liberty Hill.
“It’s a real shame because I haven’t had time to thank the school board in person or by phone or whatever,” he began. “I really, really appreciate all they’ve done for me. From Dr. Andrews to the administration to the school board – I can’t thank them enough. They let us come in and do our thing.”
Walker continued, “There were no ‘power trips’ involved; we had a great school board and administration. They let us do what we were hired to do. When you get that, you not only win games but develop a solid program of good kids.”
And that’s what it was – and is – about for Walker: the kids.
“I told the (LHHS) kids Tuesday morning (about the new job),” Walker recalled. “I told them this wasn’t about me and it’s never been about me or any one coach or administrator; it’s all about them, the players. They know what they’ve established here and what’s expected.”
Look for the kids from Rogers to get that same speech – except Walker will phrase it in terms of “what we’re trying to establish” and “what we’ll be expecting.”
I’ll tell you this much – expect Walker to made an immediate impact on the Eagles’ program and expect Rogers to develop into a consistent program. The “winning” part may take a year or two, but the Rogers ISD school board definitely hired the right man for the job.

LH Panther Mom
07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Great articles, Chuck! :clap:

solocam
07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Awesome writeup Chuck