PDA

View Full Version : '87 Mustang get 110 mpg

mistanice
07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
To find the future of the auto industry, Doug Pelmear looked to the past. He says he's perfected an engine developed by his grandfather 60 years ago. An engine that gives this 1987 mustang 110 miles to the gallon.

Doug Pelmear says "my grandfather had the idea back in the 40's that he can make a difference then. There was quite a need at that time also with the war going on and everything, there was quite the need then."

And quite the need now. So, Pelmear, a mechanic in Napoleon, has been tweaking this engine for the past 10 years, squeezing out the maximum amount of power for a minimum amount of gas.

Doug says "this'll bring back the automotive industry when they can sell trucks and suv's and the models that are almost dead at this time."

The designer says, this car is no slacker either. It goes well over 100-miles per hour.

Doug says "it's 400 horse and has 500 foot pounds of torque off the line, zero to 60 in three seconds."

Developer Mark Schnitkey says "even those of us who grew up in the muscle car age, this will pretty much blow your muscle car away."

Pelmear won't show us under the hood. Some of his gizmos are still awaiting patents. But the secret lies in making engines more efficient. And with a little more work, developers believe they'll be getting 500 miles to the gallon and revolutionizing the auto industry.

Mark says "I think it's time. I think it's time that we start telling the world what we're going to pay for a gallon of gas instead of the world telling us what we're going to pay for a gallon of gas."

http://www.wptv.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=34d8188a-fd19-4e52-8323-e78428b38763

Emerson1
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
He will be taken care of shortly by the oil companies

IHStangFan
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
To find the future of the auto industry, Doug Pelmear looked to the past. He says he's perfected an engine developed by his grandfather 60 years ago. An engine that gives this 1987 mustang 110 miles to the gallon.

Doug Pelmear says "my grandfather had the idea back in the 40's that he can make a difference then. There was quite a need at that time also with the war going on and everything, there was quite the need then."

And quite the need now. So, Pelmear, a mechanic in Napoleon, has been tweaking this engine for the past 10 years, squeezing out the maximum amount of power for a minimum amount of gas.

Doug says "this'll bring back the automotive industry when they can sell trucks and suv's and the models that are almost dead at this time."

The designer says, this car is no slacker either. It goes well over 100-miles per hour.

Doug says "it's 400 horse and has 500 foot pounds of torque off the line, zero to 60 in three seconds."

Developer Mark Schnitkey says "even those of us who grew up in the muscle car age, this will pretty much blow your muscle car away."

Pelmear won't show us under the hood. Some of his gizmos are still awaiting patents. But the secret lies in making engines more efficient. And with a little more work, developers believe they'll be getting 500 miles to the gallon and revolutionizing the auto industry.

Mark says "I think it's time. I think it's time that we start telling the world what we're going to pay for a gallon of gas instead of the world telling us what we're going to pay for a gallon of gas."

http://www.wptv.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=34d8188a-fd19-4e52-8323-e78428b38763 if this is in fact true, this guy will disappear mysteriously or one of the big 3 in partnership w/ the oil industry will buy the rights to said engine and make it disappear or claim it can't be built and pass emissions...i.e. the Wankel Rotary Engine....it almost single handedly killed the auto industry in American in the late 70s.

sahen
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
it'd be cool if the guy actually did figure out a way to do this....however, people will still be complaining cause it uses oil and not some alternate fuel...and everyone knows, oil is evil....

that said, im not one of the "oil is evil" people, so i hope he figured it out...it'll take a while to get to market however so we will see...

Txbroadcaster
07-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
if this is in fact true, this guy will disappear mysteriously or one of the big 3 in partnership w/ the oil industry will buy the rights to said engine and make it disappear or claim it can't be built and pass emissions...i.e. the Wankel Rotary Engine....it almost single handedly killed the auto industry in American in the late 70s.

If this engine works it will SAVE the oil industry more and more people are pushing alternative methods this type of engine mass produced will help curtail the call to eliminate OIL as the world's main source..yes demand will go down, but smaller demand is better than no demand

sahen
07-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If this engine works it will SAVE the oil industry more and more people are pushing alternative methods this type of engine mass produced will help curtail the call to eliminate OIL as the world's main source..yes demand will go down, but smaller demand is better than no demand

not to mention most companies that refine oil dont just sell gas for cars...they have many other sources of revenue...

waterboy
07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
This guy is onto something. The only problem is, several people before him were onto something and somehow dropped out of sight. Some of the revolutionary new technologies that have been discovered by Americans were not received very well in this country, so after the patent(s) were issued those inventors had to go overseas to make the sale. Something that will make a sudden and drastic change like this will not be in production in this country for many years for obvious reasons. My prediction is that this man will do like alot of inventors before him and sell his technologies overseas. Just a guess, though.:nerd: :cool:

BobcatBenny
07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
First, many of these claims are just malarky.

But if the claim is true, the fact that he is applying for patents makes it easy for the "intrests that be" to get control of the technology.

Which means it is unlikely that it will ever be produced.

ronwx5x
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I know this is a Texas based forum with mostly very conservative people on it. I also know I run the risk of being called names, naive, and even stupid but I really and truly am amazed by the amount of "conspiracy theory" talked about here. Do people actually believe this or is it just kicking up dust?

I personally do not believe this man will "just disappear". If he has an actual product, and I doubt it seriously, it is bigger than any oil company and some investor will see that it gets built. If something happened to him, the media would be on it like a duck on a june bug. No way could it just be swept under a rug.

Maybe I am naive, but I can't see it just fading away (if it is even real).

BobcatBenny
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Well the guy, Doug Pelmear, does own at least one patent for the engine performance market.

He also owns "HORSE POWER SALES.NET" a corporation in Ohio.

http://www.horsepowersales.net/

mistanice
07-03-2008, 09:00 AM
well i'm off to fill my gas tank... i'm guessing it will take $68 and will last for 430+/- miles :mad:

BobcatBenny
07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I know this is a Texas based forum with mostly very conservative people on it. I also know I run the risk of being called names, naive, and even stupid but I really and truly am amazed by the amount of "conspiracy theory" talked about here. Do people actually believe this or is it just kicking up dust?

I personally do not believe this man will "just disappear". If he has an actual product, and I doubt it seriously, it is bigger than any oil company and some investor will see that it gets built. If something happened to him, the media would be on it like a duck on a june bug. No way could it just be swept under a rug.

Maybe I am naive, but I can't see it just fading away (if it is even real).
I am with you on the "just disappearing" thing.

First, I am with you on the fact that it is doubtful this guy has any real breakthrough.

But ... I do think those entities with a vested interest in controlling the engergy markets would not have any problem getting control of these patents if they ever exsist. Why wouldn't Doug Pelmear just sell that control? He would have to be a patriot and not an entreprenuer to not sell out.

ronwx5x
07-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I am with you on the "just disappearing" thing.

First, I am with you on the fact that it is doubtful this guy has any real breakthrough.

But ... I do think those entities with a vested interest in controlling the engergy markets would not have any problem getting control of these patents if they ever exsist. Why wouldn't Doug Pelmear just sell that control? He would have to be a patriot and not an entreprenuer to not sell out.

Benny, for once you and I are on the same page. If he really has something, there will be investors who will buy it or share in it. For the kind of money this could be, he would have to be the greatest patriot around, already fabulously wealthy, or plain nuts not to accept investors. I seriously doubt he could do it by himself, no matter how wealthy.

BILLYFRED0000
07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
This is about money and not conspiracy. Everybody has their price.

GreenMonster
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Everybody has their price. ......and RM's was a $100 gas card in Ft. Wright, Ky. !!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:devil:

STANG RED
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I actually knew a man back in the 70’s that modified a carburetor that would make his 460 get 70 mpg when he had it working right. Problem was, he was always having to tweak it, and could never get it working well for long periods of time. Still pretty amazing for a guy just working out of his garage. The process was actually somewhat simple, but the practice of making the process work reliably, with his limited resources, was a hurdle he could never get over. He even showed the entire process to me one time, but that was a long time ago, and I was a teenager more interested in girls and beer at the time, so I didn’t pay as close attention as I should have, and have forgotten most of what he showed me. But I do remember that he had a couple of canisters and a compressor rigged up and had it all tied into a modified breather on top of the carb, and a couple lines tied into a part he had built that was between the carb and the intake. Through this process he turned the raw gasoline into a fine vapor mist and injected it into the engine with pressure. And when it worked, it worked great. But it was a very dangerous process to say the least. He basically had a huge bomb mounted to the top of his engine. And if it ever backfired, there wouldn’t have been much left of him, his pickup, or anyone or anything else in the vicinity. I don’t know exactly how much more volatile gasoline is once you turn it into this pressurized vapor mist, but I know it is several times more volatile than it is in its raw state, so I can certainly see how this process could use much less gasoline to create the same horsepower and torque. It’s just a matter of how to do it safely and practically. And I don’t see how that would be all that hard to achieve for someone with the expertise and resources to do so. Especially now that most gasoline engines are fuel injected anyway.

3ABirdMan
07-03-2008, 12:10 PM
I remember in the 70's gas crisis, I read an article somewhere about a guy in California who had modified a stock IC engine and got tremendous increases in MPGs. I was a teenager, and into building fast trucks under the shade tree, and hated having to pay so much for gas, but wanting to go fast on what I bought......

He did something like this:
- added a riser between his stock 2-bbl carb and his intake
- on the bottom of the riser, he placed a piece of "window screen" , which made the fuel and air mix better, follow a more even draft pattern, and kept it from creating "air-streams" with varying velocities. This whole process made the air and fuel mix better.
- He used an old perfume atomizer (his wife gave him permission, as I recall) to inject an atomized stream of water into a port in the riser, placing the water vapor in the draft where it could mix in with the fuel and air. The purpose of the water was to add oxygen as well as cool the mixture, which let more mass get into the cylinders without increasing compression (similar idea as a turbo, without robbing horsepower to get the same result - also today, we have mass air flow sensors that measure this and adjust the fuel/air ratio through the onboard computer). The water also made for a more complete combustion, where all of the available energy in the gasoline was converted to power.

Seems like there were a few more tricks, but I can't recall what they were. I know in the late 60's to early 70's, the average stock engine had a compression ratio of around 8.5:1. After the gas crisis, and with the EPA starting to make the automakers try to curb pollution, compression ratios went down to the 7.5:1 range. I seem to remember this guy jumped his MPG's from 18 to 30-something, on a standard, stock engine. I don't recall him going to domed pistons to raise his compression ratio, though.

I also remember reading the guy had patented his system, and saw ads in magazines for a "kit" you could install. After a while, the ads dissappeared, and then I read where he had sold the patent to Ford, who immediatelly locked it in a vault.

But on the other side - It was only a few years later that Ford came out with the variable-slide venturi carb, which seemed to use some of the basic ideals this guy had come up with, like better mixing of fuel/air, and accounting for the variable mass of fuel/air reaching the cylinders.

So I can kinda buy into the conspiracy-theory thing, especially the automakers jumping through hoops to get their hands on the technology. And I really think there really MAY be a way to get 110 MPG's out of a muscle car. I took a '67 Ford F100, puled out a 240 straight-6, and replaced it with a '64 352, bored and stroked, semi-domed pistons, 390 heads, added headers and a stock 4-bbl, and went from 11 MPG to 17 MPG, and I had REALLY heavy feet! Plus - I could BUST TransAms and Camaro's and Mustangs - But I couldn't hang with Vette's, though.

SWMustang
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
Plus - I could BUST TransAms and Camaro's and Mustangs - But I couldn't hang with Vette's, though. [/B]

Maybe you couldn't beat the vette but the fact you didn't own one makes you a better man in my eyes anyway.

Unbelievable how short sighted American companies can be.

garciap77
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sahen
...and everyone knows, oil is evil....

that said, im not one of the "oil is evil" people, so i hope he figured it out...it'll take a while to get to market however so we will see...

:iagree: ;)