PDA

View Full Version : Could LH be changing Off. schemes?

CenTexSports
07-02-2008, 07:38 AM
ROGERS COULD HIRE NEW ATHLETIC DIRECTOR TODAY 2008-07-02
(ROGERS) The Rogers School Board could hire a new Head Coach and Athletic Director when they meet this afternoon in a special session.

Interviews were conducted Monday, and today`s agenda lists interviews and the possible hiring for the position.

Rumors are that former Cameron Coach Kenneth Gilchrest and Offensive Coordinator for Liberty Hill are two finalists for the position.

Today`s meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. in the School Administration Building.

http://www.kmil.com/story.php?id=3696

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
No, we won't. :)

(At least not for a while.......)

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I do have a question though, if anyone knows the answer. I have "heard" that Coach Gilchrest was OC at Lake Travis during last season. However, what I have found is the LT OC was Jerry Bird, who went to Duncanville with Coach Dicus. Does anyone know if or when Gilchrest was at LT? :confused:

c-town_balla
07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
He was the running game cordinator at LT....also Oline coach

Dogman_1969
07-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Man if the LHill OC gets this job then this is a huge hire for Rogers. I have watched LHill the last 2 seasons (about 5 games) and the OC is a great play caller and knows the system well. I would expect Rogers to be a contender in a hurry. They always have the athletes to compete.

I wonder how many off the staff he would take with him? There is always a few assist. coaches that go due to being able to become a OC or DC at the new school.

LHill Panther mom what's the scoop???

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
LHill Panther mom what's the scoop???
Don't ask me! I only know who it's "not", so not only am I clueless, I'm also confused. :doh:

c-town_balla
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I really hope Gilchrest gets it...he is a great guy

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
He was the running game cordinator at LT....also Oline coach
Thank you!

sinton66
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
No way anybody will hire Walker away from Liberty Hill. Many have tried over the last two years and have failed. IMO, he will take over at LH when Vance retires in a few years.

Old Tiger
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
No way anybody will hire Walker away from Liberty Hill. Many have tried over the last two years and have failed. IMO, he will take over at LH when Vance retires in a few years. Isn't he lined up to anyway?

K-MAC Chuck
07-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
No, we won't. :)

(At least not for a while.......)

Don't think that Coach Walker hasn't been approached in the past - and this isn't the first time he's been this close to leaving LHHS.

Besides - it was Vance who brought the scheme to LHHS...Walker has enhanced and perfected it..

Vance told me on a radio interview the other day he felt VERY lucky to have his coaching staff intact to this point...but we all know it's just a matter of time before these guys take head jobs elsewhere..

sinton66
07-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Isn't he lined up to anyway?

Career wise, he has to stay in consideration wherever he's asked. That's so LH will match whatever financial offer he gets. So far Sinton and Fairfield have both tried and failed to lure him away. Vance isn't far from retirement, and Walker is a natural selection for his replacement. LH would do well to keep him handy.

Old Tiger
07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Career wise, he has to stay in consideration wherever he's asked. That's so LH will match whatever financial offer he gets. So far Sinton and Fairfield have both tried and failed to lure him away. Vance isn't far from retirement, and Walker is a natural selection for his replacement. LH would do well to keep him handy. I thought I heard Administration for Vance when the was named a finalist for the FF job?

BILLYFRED0000
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Career wise, he has to stay in consideration wherever he's asked. That's so LH will match whatever financial offer he gets. So far Sinton and Fairfield have both tried and failed to lure him away. Vance isn't far from retirement, and Walker is a natural selection for his replacement. LH would do well to keep him handy.

That is true enough. He is the kind of guy tho that could go somewhere and make some real noise.

CenTexSports
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Rogers is a VERY good paying job. Equal to many 3a schools and better than a lot of 3a schools.

sinton66
07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I thought I heard Administration for Vance when the was named a finalist for the FF job?

It's certainly possible. Still, Walker would be his logical replacement as HC/AD. Sinton saw him as a great coach and tried real hard to get him. So did Fairfield. I'm sure he was first choice in both towns. As long as LH can afford to match his offers, there's very little chance he will leave. Now, that said, when Boerne opens in two years, they will be very hard to compete with financially. I could see him going there.

Bull Butter
07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
My hunch is that Walker may be waiting for Phil to retire so he can go home to Calallen.:thinking:

sinton66
07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
My hunch is that Walker may be waiting for Phil to retire so he can go home to Calallen.:thinking:

We thought he might like to come "home" also, but he doesn't have any family down here anymore. All of his family now live in the cen-tex area.

K-MAC Chuck
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Sinton saw him as a great coach and tried real hard to get him.

I talked to Walker the other week. He said he didn't take the Sinton job "cuz of some dude named Tony who owed him some money. And he's irritating, too, on the 3ADL board!"

doh! :doh: :D ;) :hand:

wimbo_pro
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Money talks...never say never.

sinton66
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
I talked to Walker the other week. He said he didn't take the Sinton job "cuz of some dude named Tony who owed him some money. And he's irritating, too, on the 3ADL board!"

doh! :doh: :D ;) :hand:

I know that's wrong, if I had talked to him, he would be here.:D

sinton66
07-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Money talks...never say never.

True, BUT, if LH is able to MATCH the money, and he's just won two state championships in a row, what would the incentive be? If someone offers him more than LH can match, that's a different story.

CenTexSports
07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Living in LH is not like living in a metro area. It seems like a nice town and all but Rogers is close to Temple, Belton, Killeen and not that far from Round Rock or Waco.

c-town_balla
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Gilchrest is from Cameron also...and Roger is only about 15 miles away....so he has quite a bit of family around as well

sinton66
07-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Living in LH is not like living in a metro area. It seems like a nice town and all but Rogers is close to Temple, Belton, Killeen and not that far from Round Rock or Waco.
LH isn't that far from Austin and Round Rock.

wimbo_pro
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
True, BUT, if LH is able to MATCH the money, and he's just won two state championships in a row, what would the incentive be? If someone offers him more than LH can match, that's a different story.

Agreed Sinton...but then again, money may not be a motivator for him at this point in his career...you never know unless he tells you, right?

sinton66
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Agreed Sinton...but then again, money may not be a motivator for him at this point in his career...you never know unless he tells you, right?

Also true, it would have to be somewhere he felt would be successful too, I suppose.

CenTexSports
07-02-2008, 05:38 PM
LH will be looking to fill a position in an hour.

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
LH will be looking to fill a position in an hour.
Something I just noticed in the story from kmil. It says "are two finalists". Do you happen to know how many finalists there are? :confused:

solocam
07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Any word yet?

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by solocam
Any word yet?
Nothing but rumors...

CenTexSports
07-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Played golf with a person in the know a few minutes ago and they were to vote on the LH coach at 5:30.

espn1
07-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Living in LH is not like living in a metro area. It seems like a nice town and all but Rogers is close to Temple, Belton, Killeen and not that far from Round Rock or Waco. Rogers is a very trashy looking town. There's much better choices.

LH Panther Mom
07-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Played golf with a person in the know a few minutes ago and they were to vote on the LH coach at 5:30.
"Voting" on him is one thing. Him "accepting" may be another story. ;)

espn1
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
The same thing happened to Burnet. All the Coaches were snatched up very quickly. 3A just doesn't have the money to hold together a good Coaching staff. Liberty Hill is on borrowed time.

c-town_balla
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
not in CenTex 2a schools....only Salado would be a non "trashy" looking town if you think Rogers is trashy

espn1
07-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
not in CenTex 2a schools....only Salado would be a non "trashy" looking town if you think Rogers is trashy I like a lot of the little towns around your area. I just like Rogers the least. My son lives in Hidenheimer (spelling). He's got a nice place in the country but getting there isn't real purty. I actually like Bartlett:D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Rogers picks Liberty Hill assistant Walker as football coach, athletic director

by Craig Meister - Telegram Staff Writer
Published July 3, 2008

ROGERS - Rogers superintendent Katie Ryan called the decision a no-brainer.

Eagles football fans may soon be feeling the same way.

At 5:34 p.m. Wednesday, an excited Ryan ended the 20-day search for Rogers’ next athletic director and head football coach by announcing that Liberty Hill assistant head coach Jeff Walker had been hired by a 7-0 vote of the Rogers school board.

“I’m ecstatic,” said Walker, who helped Liberty Hill win Class 3A state championships the last two years and will be a head coach for the first time. “I can’t sleep at night. I’m grateful for them giving me a chance to show what I can do. Not letting the community down is big to me, too.

“I’ve heard great things. I’ve heard the kids work hard. I’m excited about the opportunity. I’m bringing a lot of passion.”

Walker, 40, is the fifth Rogers coach in the last 45 years. He replaces John Stillwell, who had a 42-18 record in five seasons as head coach after five years as the Eagles’ defensive coordinator.

Stillwell resigned last month after reaching a mutual resolution with the school district.

Ryan said she received more than 80 applications, including ones from people associated with the NFL, Canadian Football League, Arena Football League, college football and from 5A high schools down to six-man. But Walker’s excellent coaching background and personality left an indelible impression that Ryan and the Rogers school board couldn’t pass up.

“He is simply the best,” Ryan said. “When I went through the applications, I put a star on his and marked it. I know he’s it. And when he came in for his interview, he blew away our school committee. Absolutely, (he was the) unanimous No. 1 with all of us.

“We know we have brought the best to Rogers. He is going to do some wonderful things and continue our fine traditions. Our kids are going to have a great time with him. We’re so lucky to have him.”

Walker served as offensive coordinator at Liberty Hill for the last six years, helping the Panthers to a 70-12 record, six straight double-digit victory seasons and consecutive 3A state championships. Liberty Hill, which owns a 24-game winning streak, edged Celina for the Division II title in 2006 and beat Gilmer for the Division I crown last season.

That success has largely been attributed to a vaunted, relentless rushing game that is one of the most devastating offensive attacks in the state. The Panthers have had five different 2,000-yard rushers in the last four years, including three in 2004 when Liberty Hill posted the third-highest rushing output in Texas high school history.

Rogers has operated out of the spread formation in recent years, but Walker plans to switch the Eagles to his ground-heavy scheme.

“We’ll be running the Slot-T,” said Walker, who spent three years as a junior high coach in San Marcos. “We’ll make some adjustments with the kids here. I want to incorporate what they’ve been doing for awhile. I don’t want to come in and change their world, but we’re going to run the Slot-T. That’s what I know.”

One of Walker’s first duties will be finding a new baseball coach. Craig Coheley, who led the Eagles to the 2A state championship in 2007, resigned last month and moved to 3A Farmersville. Ryan said the search for a baseball coach has already begun and Walker will lead a committee to fill the coaching vacancy.

“He is definitely full of victories - we all know that - but he is going to be that man who leads our kids in such an ethical, moral and respectable way,” Ryan concluded. “That’s what I’m most excited about."

cmeister@temple-telegram.com

link to story (http://www.temple-telegram.com/story/2008/07/03/50545)

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Not everything is about money! I haven't spoken with him, and certainly do not want to presume "why", but sometimes the incentive is that "it's what is right for the timing". (I did speak with him before & from what he told the players after the Sinton opportunity....it wasn't "time".)

I have had 2 sons that have played under Coach Walker. He was very key in Brandon reaching the State Powerlifting meet, because he knows how to push a kid to get more from them than they are aware that they have in them. For that, I must extend a huge "THANK YOU!". Jeff, you will be missed by this mom. I'll miss your family as well. Best of luck!

Now, with that mushy stuff out of the way, our team will be fine! I can guess who will be moved into the position, but without official word, I won't speculate publicly. Our remaining coaching staff is one of the best, and I feel honored to have my children learn from these men (and women).

And for anyone "worried" that we might be changing our offense....it's not happening under Coach Vance. :devil: :devil: :p

CenTexSports
07-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Shoot, I put the wrong title on this thread. It should have read -

"Could Rogers be changing Off. schemes?"

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Shoot, I put the wrong title on this thread. It should have read -

"Could Rogers be changing Off. schemes?"
Hahahaha! :clap: :D

Centextrash
07-03-2008, 08:12 AM
From my vacation spot in San Antonio, I have leared that the new signal caller at LH has been in contact with his college roots (Hal Mumme and Mike Leach) and the panthers will soon be running the West Coast offense! :D

waterboy
07-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Centextrash
From my vacation spot in San Antonio, I have leared that the new signal caller at LH has been in contact with his college roots (Hal Mumme and Mike Leach) and the panthers will soon be running the West Coast offense! :D
The only problem with that is they'd probably run it with the same effectiveness as the Slot-T.:dispntd:

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 08:23 AM
So far Sinton and Fairfield have both tried and failed to lure him away.
From everything I know, which sometimes is less than I think I know, Walker didn't even apply for the FF job. Just because the rumors were "LH OC", doesn't necessarily mean that it was Walker. :p

LH Panther Mom
07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Centextrash
Cool! :smoker: :smoker: :fnypost: :spitlol:

Did he have to arm wrestle Coach Vance for the change? :eek: :eek: :devil:

BILLYFRED0000
07-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Not everything is about money! I haven't spoken with him, and certainly do not want to presume "why", but sometimes the incentive is that "it's what is right for the timing". (I did speak with him before the Sinton opportunity & from what he told the players after....it wasn't "time".)

I have had 2 sons that have played under Coach Walker. He was very key in Brandon reaching the State Powerlifting meet, because he knows how to push a kid to get more from them than they are aware that they have in them. For that, I must extend a huge "THANK YOU!". Jeff, you will be missed by this mom. I'll miss your family as well. Best of luck!

Now, with that mushy stuff out of the way, our team will be fine! I can guess who will be moved into the position, but without official word, I won't speculate publicly. Our remaining coaching staff is one of the best, and I feel honored to have my children learn from these men (and women).

And for anyone "worried" that we might be changing our offense....it's not happening under Coach Vance. :devil: :devil: :p

Good luck coach and lhpm like you I don't think you will have any problems. Good people and staff. But he will be missed. Good guy and coach from everybody I ever talked to.

Hill Man
07-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Good luck to Jeff and am very happy for him and the family..
I am proud that one of my sons played for him also... he one hell of a coach.

Now for Rogers - Change is sometimes not pretty at the start, I am sure there may be some who say ... what is this 2, 3, yard offense.. this is boring... WRONG!!!
It may take a season, maybe less for the boys to jell with it. When Jeff came with Jerry to LH that first season it started to show about mid season.. instead of 2, 3 yards.. it was 20, 30 and 80.. Barley missed the playoffs that first year but then after that... Katy bar the door...
:inlove:

Dogman_1969
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Go to KMIL.com for the story from Cameron. It has a photo of him and his family. I think Rogers will be good in a hurry with Coach Walker there. Good town and good kids...

BILLYFRED0000
07-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Hill Man
Good luck to Jeff and am very happy for him and the family..
I am proud that one of my sons played for him also... he one hell of a coach.

Now for Rogers - Change is sometimes not pretty at the start, I am sure there may be some who say ... what is this 2, 3, yard offense.. this is boring... WRONG!!!
It may take a season, maybe less for the boys to jell with it. When Jeff came with Jerry to LH that first season it started to show about mid season.. instead of 2, 3 yards.. it was 20, 30 and 80.. Barley missed the playoffs that first year but then after that... Katy bar the door...
:inlove:

Yeah but the kicker is to get those boys to play d like LH. You can be in any game you stop the other guy all night. And D can work from the start with the right troops and coach.