PDA

View Full Version : For the old timers like me...

Maroon87
07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/82126/do-you-remember-1978-twenty-five-albums-celebrating-their-30th-anniversary

espn1
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/82126/do-you-remember-1978-twenty-five-albums-celebrating-their-30th-anniversary
The year I gradumacated. I've been to a many a concert in Austin & San Antonio.

Old Tiger
07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
the cars, stones, marvin gaye, van halen, foreigner, and the grease soundtrack....awesome year

griff
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Enjoyed the article, but as usual, the critics writing it get it right only part of the time. Musical highlights on that list for me are the albums from Van Halen, Foreigner, Dire Straits, The Cars, Rolling Stones, and Toto. I've been listening to the Toto debut alot lately. Forgot how good it was. There are plenty of good tunes on it besides "Hold The Line". I've always had an extra interest in this band because my mother once knew the lead singer. Most of the guys from this band have extensive recording credits with many well known artists. The production on Toto records was always top-notch, and their style was a interesting mix of hard rock and jazz (with some ballads, too). They had a cool sound.

zebrablue2
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
my fav. number is 17. I was always crazy about Olivia.. she was a beauty...

3afan
07-02-2008, 05:22 AM
the biggest hitter on that list - and its not even close

Bruce (http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html)

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will wrap up their 2007-08 series of concerts with twelve US dates, seven of which are newly announced. By the last show in Milwaukee on August 30, Springsteen and the band will have performed 100 concerts for over two million fans.

mac77
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by griff
Enjoyed the article, but as usual, the critics writing it get it right only part of the time. Musical highlights on that list for me are the albums from Van Halen, Foreigner, Dire Straits, The Cars, Rolling Stones, and Toto. I've been listening to the Toto debut alot lately. Forgot how good it was. There are plenty of good tunes on it besides "Hold The Line". I've always had an extra interest in this band because my mother once knew the lead singer. Most of the guys from this band have extensive recording credits with many well known artists. The production on Toto records was always top-notch, and their style was a interesting mix of hard rock and jazz (with some ballads, too). They had a cool sound.

Wasn't the lead singer for Toto the same one who fronted Guess Who?

griff
07-03-2008, 05:12 AM
No. I don't know the name of the Guess Who's front man, but it wasn't Bobby Kimball from Toto.

You might be thinking of Randy Bachman from BTO, who also played with the Guess Who.

WOS87
07-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by mac77
Wasn't the lead singer for Toto the same one who fronted Guess Who?

Chad Allen was the original lead singer of the Guess Who, then Burton Cummings took over in the late 1960's through the mid-1970's

Neither of them had anything to do with Toto as far as I know...

eppy 12
07-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by griff
No. I don't know the name of the Guess Who's front man, but it wasn't Bobby Kimball from Toto.

You might be thinking of Randy Bachman from BTO, who also played with the Guess Who. Burton Cummings.

SWMustang
07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Re: For the old timers like me...

speak for yourself old man :)

BTW - a big hair band concert is scheduled for the area where Astroworld used to be. I guess it's now converted to some kind of musical festival place. Great White is supposed to play. I would go but....I don't know. I'm "once bitten twice shy" I guess.

Maroon87
07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
speak for yourself old man :)

BTW - a big hair band concert is scheduled for the area where Astroworld used to be. I guess it's now converted to some kind of musical festival place. Great White is supposed to play. I would go but....I don't know. I'm "once bitten twice shy" I guess.

Well there's nothing there that can catch on fire so you should be safe...;)

That was awful I know...

I turned 10 in November of '78 and remember quite a few of those albums, most notably the first Van Halen album which is among my all time faves, as are the Cars and Springsteen albums.
Those 3 could easily be desert island CD's for me.

espn1
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by eppy 12
Burton Cummings.
Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman Rock!