View Full Version : #7 Newton Eagles

Matthew328
07-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Newton Eagles
School Colors: Purple and White
Last Year: 11-3 Div 2 Regional Finalist
Starters Returning: 3 offense 7 defense
Key Players: LB Trey Bennett, RB Ty Hopkins, QB Logan Greer

Matthew328's outlook: Newton will once again be a very talented bunch...although the offense will be young as they lost some excellent talent at the skill positions..Hopkins looks to replace the backfield tandem of Joe David and Andre Hadnott..Greer was effective in his first year as a starter look for him to be more assertive this year...Bennett was district newcomer of the year as a sophmore...with 7 starters back on defense Newton has a chance to have an even better defense than the tough unit from last season...but they may have to carry the load while their young offense can find its groove..if the offense can come around then once again Newton will be considered a favorite in Region 3...

duckbutter
07-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Your pick of Newton at the #7 spot is a little high in my opinon. We will be very thin on the OL but also very quick. Barbay always seems to find a way to move the ball and I don't see it any different this yr. Our defense will be SALTY, we have a lot of returning starters and some quality underclassmen to take up the slack. Trey Bennett at LB will be a Hoss and our DL will be VERY QUICK. Our 2 RBs , soph and jr, should surpass anything we have had in the past. Newton has no depth, with only 320 kids, we don't have a lot to pick from but the ones we have are players with a lot of heart and determination. I think i would have ranked Newton about #12, but you never know.......

oldbuff78
07-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Will Barbay ever start throwing the ball more? I like Newton and there staff. Good luck!!!!

duckbutter
07-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Barbay would throw the ball more if we had someone that could catch it. Some days they catch it, some days they don't. We do have a good coaching crew and they bring out the best in the kids that we have.