PDA

View Full Version : They must have missed LH

CenTexSports
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Two Texas high school athletes tested positive for steroids
The Associated Press

AUSTIN -- Among 10,000 Texas high schoolers tested this spring, only two student-athletes tested positive for steroids, officials said.

Both supporters and critics of the largest steroids testing program in the country said the results validate their positions.

"I pushed this important legislation through the Legislature because I knew it would deter our young people from wrecking their bodies and putting their lives at risk by using illegal steroids," Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said in a story in Monday's online edition of The Houston Chronicle.

Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston, one of seven state lawmakers to vote against the steroid-testing program, wants it abolished.

"This is one of those issues that sounds good but has no real impact except wasting taxpayer dollars," Patrick said. "I don't want to diminish the seriousness of steroids, but you can't take a sledgehammer to kill a gnat."

The National Center for Drug Free Sport was selected in January to run Texas' massive high school steroids testing program after competing with 13 other companies for the two-year, $6 million program.

The company's preliminary results are based on 10,407 student-athletes who were tested since February, when state officials launched the random steroid-testing program mandated by state lawmakers.

The first positive test for anabolic steroid use triggers a 30-day suspension from competition. State officials would not identify the schools in which a student-athlete failed the steroid test.

Experts predicted that random steroid tests would result in less than 1 percent of students testing positive, said Jeff Kloster, associate commissioner for health and safety at the Texas Education Agency.

The program missed the football season, although the random tests did include football players in the offseason. Patrick doubted that testing student-athletes during the football season this fall would produce significant changes.

The steroid-testing program is scheduled to pick back up in the fall, with an estimated 30 percent of student-athletes at 400 Texas public high schools to be randomly tested. Between 40,000 and 50,000 student-athletes will be tested next school year, state officials said.

The results of the second-year testing program likely will determine future funding, said Rep. Dan Flynn, R-Van, who sponsored the steroid-testing legislation in the House.

"If we come back and you have just another two positive tests, then I think it would be realistic to scaling it back some," he said. "I don't think anyone would have a problem with that because you still have the deterrent factor out there because it's a random test."

Based in Kansas City, Mo., Drug Free Sport was created in 1999 by Frank Uryasz, who had been the director of sports sciences for the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Uryasz had developed the NCAA's drug testing program in the 1980s and his company has handled NCAA testing since 1999.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/734702.html

BobcatBenny
07-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, if my math is correct, that is $3 million for each positive test.

And ... a total of 60 days of suspension for those athletes that tested positive.

I think the 3 mods should be tested. They suffer from roid rage. :taunt:

CenTexSports
07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
One is from LH and kin to the "BEAST" so we know that one will.

LH Panther Mom
07-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
One is from LH and kin to the "BEAST" so we know that one will.
No 'roids with him, just jars and jars and jars of PBJ. :p

Old Tiger
07-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
No 'roids with him, just jars and jars and jars of PBJ. :p cut the J and make it an H

LH Panther Mom
07-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
cut the J and make it an H
Ham? With peanut butter???? EWWWWW

(He's not a big fan of honey.)

CenTexSports
07-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Bobcat: Some obscure humor.

Do the mods have a "hemi"?

Prompted by RM's avatar.

Old Tiger
07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Ham? With peanut butter???? EWWWWW

(He's not a big fan of honey.) but see honey provides more nutritional advantage than jelly.....below I use grape jelly

Honey
• 80% natural sugar -- mostly fructose and glucose. Due to the high level of fructose, honey is sweeter than table sugar.
• 18% water. The less water content the honey has, the better the quality of honey.
• 2% minerals, vitamins, pollen and protein.

The vitamins present in honey are B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and certain amino acids. The minerals found in honey include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. I learnt that "conductivity" is an indirect way of measuring the mineral content of a honey. Manuka honey has a higher than normal conductivity -- about 4 times that of normal flower honeys. The higher the conductivity, the better the value of the honey.

Grape Jelly
http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=1&catid=260&prodid=492

BobcatBenny
07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Bobcat: Some obscure humor.

Do the mods have a "hemi"?

Prompted by RM's avatar.
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol:

I hear that those rascals will bring on a rage.

waterboy
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
but see honey provides more nutritional advantage than jelly.....below I use grape jelly

Honey
• 80% natural sugar -- mostly fructose and glucose. Due to the high level of fructose, honey is sweeter than table sugar.
• 18% water. The less water content the honey has, the better the quality of honey.
• 2% minerals, vitamins, pollen and protein.

The vitamins present in honey are B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and certain amino acids. The minerals found in honey include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. I learnt that "conductivity" is an indirect way of measuring the mineral content of a honey. Manuka honey has a higher than normal conductivity -- about 4 times that of normal flower honeys. The higher the conductivity, the better the value of the honey.

Grape Jelly
http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=1&catid=260&prodid=492
"Conductivity"? Does that mean that lightning would be more likely to strike you if you ate Manuka honey?:confused: Or that an electician needs to pass on honey altogether?:confused: Don't want to become a human lightning rod!:D