PDA

View Full Version : Smart computer people..I need help!!

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 11:25 AM
My boss wants us to be able to access each others calendars on Microsoft outlook!

I know our computers are hooked up together some way because I can can use his printer from my computer.

Any suggestions??

jason
06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
you have to have a microsoft exchange account and all them have to be running off of the same exchange server...

sharing a printer and viewing calendars are like apples and oranges....

Rabbit'93
06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jason
you have to have a microsoft exchange account and all them have to be running off of the same exchange server what he said

crzyjournalist03
06-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Printers can be easily networked. You don't have to be connected to it to print to it depending on what setup you have.

Outlook isn't so simple. I don't know that it's possible to share calendars considering that Outlook actually just retrieves your emails from email account.

BILLYFRED0000
06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
you have to have a microsoft exchange account and all them have to be running off of the same exchange server...

sharing a printer and viewing calendars are like apples and oranges....

MOre like apples and rocks.

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
you have to have a microsoft exchange account and all them have to be running off of the same exchange server

How in the heck to I find out if we have that or not......and does the fact that our old computers were able to do this, but we have never set it up on the newer computers, mean diddly squat?

jason
06-30-2008, 11:30 AM
there are 2 ways to use microsoft outlook....

1. most use this way - you set it up to look at an email account, and then download the mail from that account into a file that is stored on your computer - so if you go log into the account some other place, the mail is no longer there because it was downloaded off of the server (there is an option to leave on the server, but most dont use that)...

2. this is how we use it - you use the microsoft outlook program to show you what is on your exchange account - it will look at the account and just show you what is there, but it does not download it to your computer or delete it from the server (unless you select the message and delete it) - since all of the mail is stored on the server, so are the calendars - and this is how you share calendars, since they are on the server, you just allow others to read/write to them....

BILLYFRED0000
06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Mom unless you have a central server for exchange you cannot do it. You may be able to view his in some fashion with a lot of southern engineering but to do truly what he wants requires an exchange server where the server holds the mail control and sends and receives to your individual desktops. If I understand what I think your boss wants which is to be able to update each others calendars with messages meetings and the like, will require server exchange instead of desktop hosts.

BILLYFRED0000
06-30-2008, 11:32 AM
there are 2 ways to use microsoft outlook....

1. most use this way - you set it up to look at an email account, and then download the mail from that account into a file that is stored on your computer - so if you go log into the account some other place, the mail is no longer there because it was downloaded off of the server (there is an option to leave on the server, but most dont use that)...

2. this is how we use it - you use the microsoft outlook program to show you what is on your exchange account - it will look at the account and just show you what is there, but it does not download it to your computer or delete it from the server (unless you select the message and delete it) - since all of the mail is stored on the server, so are the calendars - and this is how you share calendars, since they are on the server, you just allow others to read/write to them....

What he said. again...... That is how it works.

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Mom unless you have a central server for exchange you cannot do it. You may be able to view his in some fashion with a lot of southern engineering but to do truly what he wants requires an exchange server where the server holds the mail control and sends and receives to your individual desktops. If I understand what I think your boss wants which is to be able to update each others calendars with messages meetings and the like, will require server exchange instead of desktop hosts.

It isn't so much that we need to update each other's calendars....it's more so if I have an appointment I can put it on my calendar and he will see it...same with his. We don't need to edit each others!!

jason
06-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It isn't so much that we need to update each other's calendars....it's more so if I have an appointment I can put it on my calendar and he will see it...same with his. We don't need to edit each others!!

its all the same - you need the server to do as little as view others and let others view yours and as much as add/edit others or let others add/edit yours...

AP Panther Fan
06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000

I am thinking this is how ours works...Someone on our network sends me a request or notification of a meeting/appointment and when I accept it, it goes on my microsoft calendar and also gives me a reminder beforehand.

I just dunno....

CenTexSports
06-30-2008, 11:45 AM
When you put an appointment on your computer, just invite attendees and when they accept it will be put on their schedule also.

That is how my boss, in Charlotte, keeps up with my vacations. I do a calander event and invite him and his secretary. When they accept, it puts an event (my vacation) on their calander.

AP Panther Fan
06-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
When you put an appointment on your computer, just invite attendees and when they accept it will be put on their schedule also.

That is how my boss, in Charlotte, keeps up with my vacations. I do a calander event and invite him and his secretary. When they accept, it puts an event (my vacation) on their calander.

LOL...have you ever wondered what would happen if you just said "No, I do not accept your invitation"....

:evillol:

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
According to Jason, (just talked to him via IM's) I am pretty much screwed without an exchange server, and I am pretty sure we don't have one!! I knew we USED to, but think we may have done away with it when we got our new computers.

:(

pirate4state
06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
How many people work in your office?

BobcatBenny
06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Another way to share/integrate information in Outlook 2007 is through a Microsoft SharePoint.

Not exactly the same as the Exchange method, but a subscription to a SharePoint is easily obtainable over the internet.

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
How many people work in your office?

The only one I need to share it with is the "Big Boss".....he HATES when he forgets I have an appointment (that I told him about earlier!)

I am going tomorrow to get my hair cut at 3:00.....if I had my calendar up and running, I could just put that I have an appointment @ 3:00 and leave it at that.

BobcatBenny
06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
The only one I need to share it with is the "Big Boss".....he HATES when he forgets I have an appointment (that I told him about earlier!)

I am going tomorrow to get my hair cut at 3:00.....if I had my calendar up and running, I could just put that I have an appointment @ 3:00 and leave it at that.
That is what PostIt Notes are for!

BreckTxLonghorn
06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Would using Google Calendars work?

Its web based, but you can set it up to have multiple people edit one calendar--with each person taking a different color, and if his home page is google.com, it can show up on Google's homepage.

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Would using Google Calendars work?

Its web based, but you can set it up to have multiple people edit one calendar--with each person taking a different color, and if his home page is google.com, it can show up on Google's homepage.

That is a thought!!

I just thought of something though. Our head office is in Nebraska, and they can get in to our computers somehow if they need to. I know for a fact that my boss has access to all the Nebraska employees calendars (actually, what he has access to is all based on ONE calendar)....so you would think we should be able to also.

This is too much confusion for a Monday!!:crazy1: :crazy1:

Necks_Fan
06-30-2008, 01:10 PM
My boss wants us to be able to access each others calendars on Microsoft outlook!

I know our computers are hooked up together some way because I can can use his printer from my computer.

Any suggestions?? Why don't you just ask your boss how he wants you to do this?

Or, are you asking how to do it on his behalf?

:confused:

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Why don't you just ask your boss how he wants you to do this?

Or, are you asking how to do it on his behalf?

:confused:

ROFLMAO!! Who do you think runs this place????

He is not in the least bit computer savvy!!!

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
That is what PostIt Notes are for!

A PostIt Note at my desk is easily found:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/Kellyesoffice.jpg

A PostIt Note at my boss's desk could go years before being discovered: (I didn't realized how fuzzy this was til I uploaded it!!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/Billsoffice.jpg

BobcatBenny
06-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Why don't you clean your boss' office?

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Why don't you clean your boss' office?

A co-worker and I actually did that one time when he was on a trip....he almost freaked out when he got back!!!

It didn't take 2 weeks for it to be back in the same mess. He has a $5,000 leather couch in there that is full of stacks of papers...in the 16 years I have worked here, that couch has NEVER been sat on!!

CenTexSports
06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Has it ever been laid on?

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Has it ever been laid on?

That shouldn't have been as funny as I thought it was!!:D :D :D

pirate4state
06-30-2008, 04:39 PM
That shouldn't have been as funny as I thought it was!!:D :D :D hahaha same here

I'm sure your boss is like me. I like a cluttered mess and I always know where everything is & if someone tries to "clean" it for me I freak out & then can't find anything. :doh:

I hope you figure it out! :nerd:

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
hahaha same here

I'm sure your boss is like me. I like a cluttered mess and I always know where everything is & if someone tries to "clean" it for me I freak out & then can't find anything. :doh:

I hope you figure it out! :nerd:

I think we may just go with the google calendar...that way EVERY one in the office can access it!

DDBooger
06-30-2008, 05:13 PM
anyone remember that SNL skit where the computer tech just thinks everyone is stupid..scary how that mirrors reality in alot of their cases! lol