PDA

View Full Version : Something in the water at Minute Maid Park?

Maroon87
06-30-2008, 11:25 AM
First Chacon vs. Wade, now this...

Report: Manny apologizes after shoving Red Sox official to ground
ESPN.com news services

The Red Sox are confident it wasn't Manny just being Manny.

Manny Ramirez has apologized for pushing the team's traveling secretary to the ground in the visitors clubhouse during a confrontation Saturday in Houston, according to a report in The Providence Journal.

Ramirez had requested 16 tickets from Jack McCormick for Saturday's game against the Astros, the report said.

After McCormick said that it might not be possible, Ramirez replied by yelling "just do your job," according to Monday's report.

Ramirez and McCormick later discussed the incident in a private meeting, during which the left fielder made amends.

"That's over," Ramirez said Sunday, according to the report. "We're fine now."

Boston manager Terry Francona said the team had resolved the matter and was "satisfied with how we handled this."

"Sometimes things happen," Francona said, according to The Journal. "And when they do, we choose to handle them internally."

It wasn't the first time Ramirez was forced to put a sour incident behind him this season.

Ramirez, who on May 31 became the 24th major leaguer to hit 500 home runs, had to be separated from first baseman Kevin Youkilis earlier this month after apparently taking a swing at him during a dugout argument.

"It's in the past," Ramirez said the next day. "It's a new day."

crzyjournalist03
06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
If the Red Sox were to put Manny on waivers, I have a feeling that about 29 other teams would put a claim in.

Necks_Fan
06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
I bet if Manny's name was shawn Chacon he would have been gone a long time ago. Just goes to show you that a great player's leash is longer than a journeyman.

He could beat Francona to a bloody pulp and he would stilll have a place with the BoSox.

crzyjournalist03
06-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I bet if Manny's name was shawn Chacon he would have been gone a long time ago. Just goes to show you that a great player's leash is longer than a journeyman.

He could beat Francona to a bloody pulp and he would stilll have a place with the BoSox.

Hard to believe that the Red Sox put Manny on waivers three seasons ago and nobody put a claim in.

Necks_Fan
06-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Hard to believe that the Red Sox put Manny on waivers three seasons ago and nobody put a claim in. I don't really know what you are talking about, because I didn't follow the Sox 3 years ago, but if that's true, then how did he remain with them?

Did they take him off waivers and just keep him? It doesn't make sense to me. If he was put on waivers, why would they want to keep him?

Either way, they are not going any further with the discipline. They let him push some guy, say sorry, and keep his job.

I wonder if it was a more important guy, (GM) if he would really get into big trouble.

*(The Francona thing was a joke. Lol.)

Txbroadcaster
06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't really know what you are talking about, because I didn't follow the Sox 3 years ago, but if that's true, then how did he remain with them?

Did they take him off waivers and just keep him? It doesn't make sense to me. If he was put on waivers, why would they want to keep him?

Either way, they are not going any further with the discipline. They let him push some guy, say sorry, and keep his job.

I wonder if it was a more important guy, (GM) if he would really get into big trouble.

Every year teams after the regular trade deadline pass will put players on waivers to see what interest is out there. It is VERY common for teams to put Stars on the waiver to see if anyone bites..If they dont, they just pull them off and keep them

Necks_Fan
Hard to believe that the Red Sox put Manny on waivers three seasons ago and nobody put a claim in. So, I just read up on it.

Nobody picked up Manny because they didn't want to pay him 104M over 5 years.

-A major reason why they lost Pedro/Garciaparra/Lowe.

They couldn't afford to keep those guys around.

crzyjournalist03
I don't really know what you are talking about, because I didn't follow the Sox 3 years ago, but if that's true, then how did he remain with them?

During the offseason of 2003, Manny was placed on irrevocable waivers, meaning that if any team had claimed him, they would have gotten him--all they would have had to do was assume his contract. But nobody did because it was for about $20 million a year for five years. Here's an article about the waivers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650053

The next year, the Red Sox win the World Series with Manny as a central figure, and the league's perception on him changes. Now, he's a lock to have his $20 million option picked up next year.

Necks_Fan
06-30-2008, 01:08 PM
During the offseason of 2003, Manny was placed on irrevocable waivers, meaning that if any team had claimed him, they would have gotten him--all they would have had to do was assume his contract. But nobody did because it was for about $20 million a year for five years. Here's an article about the waivers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650053

The next year, the Red Sox win the World Series with Manny as a central figure, and the league's perception on him changes. Now, he's a lock to have his $20 million option picked up next year. I read that the previous season he hit .325 with 37 Hrs.

I figured he would have had a good perception after that.

crzyjournalist03
06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I read that the previous season he hit .325 with 37 Hrs.

I figured he would have had a good perception after that.

yeah, but it was one of those deals where people felt that his numbers weren't worth the distractions off of it. He was considered a lazy and selfish player who was a terrible defensive outfielder.

I was praying that the A-Rod/Manny trade went down at the time, because I felt that Manny was far more valuable than teams thought.

Old Tiger
06-30-2008, 01:52 PM
orange juice?

The Ravens
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
High Quality H2O