24. Mathis (6-5)
25. Orange Grove (6-4)

Sweeny just kind of could go anywhere in the lower half

IHStangFan
06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Rio Hondo WAAAAAY too high

Brookshire Royal too high as well.

Port Isabel a LITTLE too high.

Needville DESTROYED West Columbia last year and will do the same this year even without Wilkerson.

and just a question..not trying to be a smartbutt here, but why does everyone have West Oso picked so high this year?
They were a slightly above average team (IF THAT), from a below average district last year.

Phil C
06-29-2008, 05:16 PM
BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!

IHStangFan
06-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! yup..look out...they might win a below average district!! BEWARE!! Ingleside has fallen off the map, Sinton, Aransas Pass and company haven't been on the map in a few years now. I'd say West Oso has a shot at the district title, but that's about it. Especially with Cuero up the road, and Sealy being back in Reg. IV. Sealy is or will be the real deal within two years.

:D

lostaussie
06-29-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry, but unless it's Cuero or Sealy in the semi's, I don't see anyone that can remotely hang with RIII. My early prediction is that RIII will win both semi-final games.

IHStangFan
06-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I'm sorry, but unless it's Cuero or Sealy in the semi's, I don't see anyone that can remotely hang with RIII. My early prediction is that RIII will win both semi-final games. sadly enough (as I am a Reg. IV grad) I agree with you.

There's Cuero, then everyone else. I strongly feel that Sealy will join the likes of Cuero in the next few years though. It'll be those two schools and then the rest. Ingleside has fallen off the table, Sinton's days of complete domination of South Texas are over. Port Isabel, Rio Hondo, etc. will continue to dominate the valley, and go 1 to 2 rounds deep..but that's about all.....and so on.

mac77
06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan

Needville DESTROYED West Columbia last year and will do the same this year even without Wilkerson.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, there Stangman. We were babies last year and this year is a rebuilder for yall. Regardless, it'll be the game for the district title for sure.

IHStangFan
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, there Stangman. We were babies last year and this year is a rebuilder for yall. Regardless, it'll be the game for the district title for sure. I don't know man, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think Needville lost enough and West Columbia matured enough since last year to really drastically change the outcome of this year's match up from last years. I guess that's why we play the game though. Until then, good luck to your Roughnecks. :)

scrub c
06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Sweeny is going to be pretty good. Have some good skill kids and young speed.

Royal is going to be good if they find some linemen.

scrub c
06-29-2008, 11:10 PM

I dont think so....
Im afraid the Needville peeps don't realize just how much of a force that young man was on the field.
Much different outcome from last years match up without Wilkerson.

IHStangFan
06-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
I dont think so....
Im afraid the Needville peeps don't realize just how much of a force that young man was on the field.
Much different outcome from last years match up without Wilkerson. I beg to differ considering Needville's QB/TE combo is what beat the Roughnecks up in the second half, not Wilkerson. I'm sorry man, I was at the game and young or not..I was NOT impressed by the Roughnecks. I saw nothing special on the field for them. They looked VERY average.

mac77
06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I beg to differ considering Needville's QB/TE combo is what beat the Roughnecks up in the second half, not Wilkerson. I'm sorry man, I was at the game and young or not..I was NOT impressed by the Roughnecks. I saw nothing special on the field for them. They looked VERY average.

Do you realize we started as many (4) sophmores and freshmen as we did seniors? I should say we were average! We'll see what kind of difference a year makes.

IHStangFan
06-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by mac77
Do you realize we started as many (4) sophmores and freshmen as we did seniors? I should say we were average! We'll see what kind of difference a year makes. I DO realize that, but what I'm saying is I don't think 1 year more of experience is going to make up for that large of gap between the two teams. I was at the game last year, and it looked like the Dallas Cowboys against Sam Houston State. Needville coaches took their foot off the gas pedal early or it'd of been way worse. The only thing that will keep West Columbia in this game this year will be Needville's losses at key positions...MAYBE. Sorry, call me skeptical until proven otherwise.

pirate4state
06-30-2008, 09:41 AM
and just a question..not trying to be a smartbutt here, but why does everyone have West Oso picked so high this year?
They were a slightly above average team (IF THAT), from a below average district last year.

#s is my guess. they didn't play Ingleside very well last year and hell we were beating them in the 1st half! LOL

They are the only team (I think) in our district that have the #s coming back so, on paper that makes them the favorite, but {wait for it} that's why we play the games. :nerd: :D

IHStangFan
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
#s is my guess. they didn't play Ingleside very well last year and hell we were beating them in the 1st half! LOL

They are the only team (I think) in our district that have the #s coming back so, on paper that makes them the favorite, but {wait for it} that's why we play the games. :nerd: :D Agreed. They may very well win that district, but I don't think winning that district ranks them in the top 5. It might have a few years back, but not this year.

piratebg
06-30-2008, 12:08 PM
This whole thing with West Oso being ranked so high has been baffling me for the past couple weeks. I just don't see it.

IHStangFan
06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
This whole thing with West Oso being ranked so high has been baffling me for the past couple weeks. I just don't see it. you an I both brotha! LOL.

Johnny 5
06-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I think RH and PI will be able to make it a few rounds deep this year and/or next year.

I think PI should be above Raymondville, but not by much. RH should be lower on the list, but not by much.

bandera7
06-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I see all the points on Cuero. And it is hard to argue it. But Bandera will be solid this year. Coach Prince is doing some great things up there, has a bunch of kids that have bought into him/the team.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
This whole thing with West Oso being ranked so high has been baffling me for the past couple weeks. I just don't see it. Their running backs should be better than they were last year and they were good just not great last year. If they return their defensive front, not sure who they return on defense but they have some height and size and could be solid on defense. Only thing that might be keeping them from being a very good team is their knack for being penalized.

I know it might not seem realistic right now but Sinton offensively could be back to putting up big points this year ;).

Cuero, Sealy and Giddings are tops in this region with PI not to far behind.

CueroDad08
06-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Cuero WILL be alot BIGGER, faster And alot stronger on the line.
The O line has all but 1 back, and with 2 huge linemen (6'5 285 - 6'3"265) moving into town both will battle to fill that slot.

maestro
06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
cannot understand why sweeny is getting just token notice...

they'll probably " sneak " up on everyone i.e. sealy in district last year..

isn't june-july GRAND......EVERYONE is undefeated.....

wharton and royal GET THE PROPER MOTIVATION???? then it really becomes interesting......

Johnny 5
07-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I don't think West Oso will be all that . . . but we will see. They will be good, but not great.

RH might be great. PI less so.

Cuero will be awesome and will be the Region IV contender.

scrub c
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by maestro
cannot understand why sweeny is getting just token notice...

they'll probably " sneak " up on everyone i.e. sealy in district last year..

Im not sure why they are being overlooked... I think they are gonna be pretty good.

West Columbia is obviously not going to be very good simply because we got dusted by needeville last year...

charlesrixey
07-03-2008, 06:49 PM
see the note on sweeny at the bottom of the top 25

Nursebetty
07-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
1. Cuero (12-3)
2. Sealy (7-4)
3. Rio Hondo (11-1)
4. Corpus Christi West Oso (8-3)
5. Giddings (11-1)
6. Devine (9-3)
7. Raymondville (7-4)
8. Gonzales (10-3)
9. Bellville (5-5)
10. Brookshire-Royal (5-5)
11. Columbus (9-2)
12. West Columbia (4-6)
13. La Vernia (8-3)
14. Bandera (6-6)
15. Port Isabel (8-4)
16. Needville (8-3)
17. Edna (9-2)
18. Lyford (5-6)
19. Luling (4-7)
20. Palacios (10-4)
21. Poteet (5-6)
22. Ingleside (9-2)
23. La Feria (6-4)
24. Mathis (6-5)
25. Orange Grove (6-4)

What an awesome poll! Thanks! I do agree with your poll, not just because i am from Cuero, but everyone on here brings up some good points about the various teams. This is why it is good that everyone expresses their opinions. It's good to get alot of input!

maestro
07-03-2008, 10:30 PM
scrub....

don't let it get you down.....

you could probably toss in needville, sweeny, columbia as all 1a,1b,1c

it's that close......

nfcfan
07-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
I don't think West Oso will be all that . . . but we will see. They will be good, but not great.

RH might be great. PI less so.

Cuero will be awesome and will be the Region IV contender.

The winner between RH and PI matchup has been the district champ for the last 4yrs...

2007 RH
2006 PI
2005 RH
2004 PI

I see this continuing thru this yr, with PI leapfrogging RH.

Every couple of yrs PI manages to put up a contender for the reg IV championship and this current Junior class is the best chance yet.

This core class has not lost more than two high school games in their 3 seasons of play (Freshmen and 2 JV seasons)

PI will get a much needed boost from a JV team that went undefeated and outscored their opponents a combined 287 to 65.

Including a 24-6 win over RH's JV squad.

:cool:

footballgal
07-07-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/images/smilies/bluefish.gifhttp://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/images/smilies/bluefish.gif http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/images/smilies/bluefish.gif http://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/images/smilies/bluefish.gif

gato 76
07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Cuero WILL be alot BIGGER, faster And alot stronger on the line.
The O line has all but 1 back, and with 2 huge linemen (6'5 285 - 6'3"265) moving into town both will battle to fill that slot.

Im sure they will do alot of growing up after the play Bay City.The city cats defense will be tough with 8 starters coming back.

CHSVARSITYDAD
07-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Bandera will play hard,always do,and if their buying in to what coach is teaching then they could be dangerous!Rio Hondo plays quality football as well and I wouldnt overlook PI.

Boomer
07-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Im sure they will do alot of growing up after the play Bay City.The city cats defense will be tough with 8 starters coming back.

Are you still talking about last year's game in Bay City? Cuero will be ready for that defense! We have one of the best quarterbacks in 3A back, only a junior this year. We played yall last year early in the season and Tyler was a soph.

Necks_Fan
07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Needville DESTROYED West Columbia last year and will do the same this year even without Wilkerson. I've already gave you my input and so has Mac and Scrub.

As far as that TE/QB combo that killed us last year.............. the TE graduated.

I think you are going to get a rude awakening if you think Needville destroys us. Maybe the other way around buddy.

Apparently you don't recall us Destroying Needville in 06-07.

1 year makes all the difference my friend and with Needville's best 2 players graduating, It's going to be ALOT different.

We lost a grand total of (5) starting seniors I think. 1 of which was a player that rotated alot.

Qb, both Rb's, 3/5 0 lineman, 5/7 in box, 2/3 in secondary and Kicker all return.

D-26 will have their hands full next year.

Our Defense will be much improved, you can take that to the bank partner.

Necks_Fan
07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I've already gave you my input and so has Mac and Scrub.

As far as that TE/QB combo that killed us last year.............. the TE graduated.

I think you are going to get a rude awakening if you think Needville destroys us. Maybe the other way around buddy.

Apparently you don't recall us Destroying Needville in 06-07.

1 year makes all the difference my friend and with Needville's best 2 players graduating, It's going to be ALOT different.

We lost a grand total of (5) starting seniors I think. 1 of which was a player that rotated alot.

Qb, both Rb's, 3/5 0 lineman, 5/7 in box, 2/3 in secondary and Kicker all return.

D-26 will have their hands full next year.

Our Defense will be much improved, you can take that to the bank partner. Ooops. I meant 6/8 in the box.

-We run like a 4-4-3. We are losing 1 DE, 1 OLB, 1 S on D this coming year.

bandera7
07-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for your comment Cuero. That has always been a point of pride for our teams. And yes, it seems like for the first time since 2002, the team is buying in. And Prince is a great coach, even better guy.

duke55
08-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I beg to differ considering Needville's QB/TE combo is what beat the Roughnecks up in the second half, not Wilkerson. I'm sorry man, I was at the game and young or not..I was NOT impressed by the Roughnecks. I saw nothing special on the field for them. They looked VERY average.

I agree...im from Columbus...and i watched the Columbus vs. West Columbia game and Columbus won without they're star player..Columbia had a little bit of a passing game but it wasnt much...

scrub c
08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
West Columbia is very average.... Mainly because they got dusted by needville last year and lost to columbus without their star player.

carter08
08-06-2008, 03:29 PM
wc qb last year was in his first year as a starter. it makes sense that he made alot of mistakes. but now he's had time to get adjusted to varsity football. rb's will excel this year. defense will be very solid. wc wins district.

Pudlugger
08-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Don't count La Grange out. In 1999 the Leps were predicted to go second to last in district. They went 11-1 losing to Robinson in the second round. This year's team may be in a similar stealth mode. Lots of young talent and a good coaching staff may add up to some surprises. They play Needville, Gonzales Giddings, Bellville and Sealy all in this top 25. They scrimmage Cuero and Liberty Hill so we will get an early indicator of their strength.
I definitely see them in the top 25 for Region IV.

Johnny Utah
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Sealy is the REAL DEAL! Great coaching and a TALENT UPSWING! Watch out for Bellville, they can flat out play as well. Played ALOT of young ones last year, great tradition!!! I may be way off but
1. Cuero(just cause of their past)
2. Sealy
3. Bellville

All the rest

duke55
08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
West Columbia is very average.... Mainly because they got dusted by needville last year and lost to columbus without their star player.

Ya well you cant say they were good last year if thats what your thinkin;)

scrub c
08-06-2008, 08:44 PM
?

Necks_Fan
08-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Lol. Scrub you are a funny guy....

I still haven't gotten a response from my last comment on this thread...

duke55
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
?

:clap:

fireman1
08-07-2008, 08:03 PM
wow its sad how wharton would have been talked about being a force in this district but now i dont know where we stand last year was not wharton's year and im not sure if this year will be either with new coaches and all