20. West (8-4)
21. Dalhart (5-6)
22. Llano (9-4)
23. Anthony (7-4)
24. Fabens (5-5)
25. Hillsboro (5-5)

LH Panther Mom
06-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm sure this will draw several :eek: :eek: comments, but why all the love for Brownwood? Not just from you, but this seemed like as good of a spot as any to post it. Seriously....I can think of a few teams that proved something last year, and years past, that could possibly be higher. :thinking:

charlesrixey
06-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm sure this will draw several :eek: :eek: comments, but why all the love for Brownwood? Not just from you, but this seemed like as good of a spot as any to post it. Seriously....I can think of a few teams that proved something last year, and years past, that could possibly be higher. :thinking:

you could take 2 through 5 and switch them and it would still be okay. Brownwood had a down year last year, but they have been consistent if not stellar in 4A the last decade, and i think as a talent level and program they are a slightly better version of Wylie. I also think that they, moreso than some of the other teams that drop down, are good enough to take advantage of it. I still think LH will be a step above the rest of the region, although i think China Spring could conceiveably be better than last year in the long run

trojan37
06-28-2008, 08:41 PM
My own personal opinion, China Spring doesn't go further than 2 rounds deep in the playoffs. I could be wrong, just personal opinion.

STANG RED
06-28-2008, 11:59 PM

They have a very good coaching staff, and have a couple of the better athletes in the state returning next year, plus a lot of other very good returners. If they are not very very good, it will be an underachievement, even if they had stayed 4A. Plus, I think they are hungry to get back to the stature they once had. Overconfidence my be their downfall though. But if they take care of business, and live up to their potential,,,,,,,watch out!
Now lets see if they can live up to the hype.

LH Panther Mom
06-29-2008, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Now lets see if they can live up to the hype.
That was really the gist of my question. Are they really as good as their ranking(s) or is it hype? :thinking: I've never seen them play, which is why I ask.

charlesrixey
06-29-2008, 04:01 PM
their qb is pretty darn good

add that plus an always good defense and a weaker schedule (although, admittedly, not much weaker overall) and they will do fine

Old Tiger
06-29-2008, 04:02 PM
snyder is a little bit too high

Snydertigersrul
06-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
snyder is a little bit too high

It's the other way, snyder is ranked TOO low

Spaceman_Spiff
06-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Charles...I think you have Brownwood and Graham a little bit high, and Liberty Hill a bit low...laughing...LH should be higher than that.

IHStangFan
06-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm sure this will draw several :eek: :eek: comments, but why all the love for Brownwood? Not just from you, but this seemed like as good of a spot as any to post it. Seriously....I can think of a few teams that proved something last year, and years past, that could possibly be higher. :thinking: I've been asking the same thing about West Oso....what gives w/ all of the love they are getting early?

cshscougar08
06-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
My own personal opinion, China Spring doesn't go further than 2 rounds deep in the playoffs. I could be wrong, just personal opinion.

Why? Aside from the patsy schedule. Just curious to your reasoning.

charlesrixey
06-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Why? Aside from the patsy schedule. Just curious to your reasoning.

i'm not sure what he's talking about

if CS has 14 starters back from last year's team, along with a pretty good replacement QB, then they are a top 10 team in my book (although i guess i didn't have to clarify!):D

cshscougar08
06-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Haha exactly. I'm thinking the same thing. I know region I is tough and we're not helping ourselves out by not having a very difficult schedule, but there is no way I don't see us at least making region finals. Especially if we end up in DI.

BILLYFRED0000
06-30-2008, 03:09 PM

If they play d like they did last year they can be good. Their d got better and better as the season went on. They played hard hitting on run d.

trojan37
06-30-2008, 03:20 PM
I believe there are tougher opponents in Region 1, and a lot of last years success layed on the shoulders of Dustin Hicks. Little Bell is nowhere near the level of Dustin Hicks. Like I said though, it's just personal opinion. Hey, I'd love to see China Spring go all the way and win it this year.

rangerjim
06-30-2008, 03:22 PM
watch out for bridgeport this year. Alas, the decatur eagles may not even live up to their Region I #19 ranking. jim

cshscougar08
06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I believe there are tougher opponents in Region 1, and a lot of last years success layed on the shoulders of Dustin Hicks. Little Bell is nowhere near the level of Dustin Hicks. Like I said though, it's just personal opinion. Hey, I'd love to see China Spring go all the way and win it this year.

Who is Dustin Hicks? Never heard of him. And by the way, none of the four finalists had a tougher route to the title game than we did last year.

Round 1: Rockdale- 30-27
Rockdale could have won that game easily, but we buckled down and did what we had to do to win.

Round 2: Palestine Westwood- 38-7
Westwood beat a very good Diboll team in the first round. Only 30 degree weather with rain prevented this from becoming a shootout

Round 3: Kirbyville- 35-14
Their only loss on the season was to West Orange Stark before this game.

Round 4: Waco La Vega- 31-28
They came in undefeated and had beat us 42-13 in district play. Enough said.

Round 5: Cuero- 37-14
Perennial power in title game 3 of previous 4 years. Or something close to that.

If you look at that and think is was all because of Dustin ESKEW that we won those games, you're crazy. The best receiver in the state returns along with 8 starters that held Celina to 21 points when they were averaging well over 40 for the season. I am fully confident that China Spring can make another deep run in the playoffs and possibly win a state title. And this is Brian's first varsity season. You can't compare until you give him a chance to play. UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!!!!

bwdlionfan
06-30-2008, 04:34 PM

LH Panther mom... why the lack of love for Brownwood?

Dogman_1969
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Who is Dustin Hicks? Never heard of him. And by the way, none of the four finalists had a tougher route to the title game than we did last year.

Round 1: Rockdale- 30-27
Rockdale could have won that game easily, but we buckled down and did what we had to do to win.

Round 2: Palestine Westwood- 38-7
Westwood beat a very good Diboll team in the first round. Only 30 degree weather with rain prevented this from becoming a shootout

Round 3: Kirbyville- 35-14
Their only loss on the season was to West Orange Stark before this game.

Round 4: Waco La Vega- 31-28
They came in undefeated and had beat us 42-13 in district play. Enough said.

Round 5: Cuero- 37-14
Perennial power in title game 3 of previous 4 years. Or something close to that.

If you look at that and think is was all because of Dustin ESKEW that we won those games, you're crazy. The best receiver in the state returns along with 8 starters that held Celina to 21 points when they were averaging well over 40 for the season. I am fully confident that China Spring can make another deep run in the playoffs and possibly win a state title. And this is Brian's first varsity season. You can't compare until you give him a chance to play. UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!!!! I agree with Coug08 for once. Let the younger Bell have his chance to play. They do have a great receiver back and several other athletes that can play. It'll be tough early on but if the younger Bell can do what the staff at china thinks he can they will be tough to beat.

I figure if he buckles under the pressure or they struggle early then you'll see Hicks lined up in the gun and that scares me more.

I don't know if they can match last years run but they will be playing in week 11 for sure......

cshscougar08
06-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
I figure if he buckles under the pressure or they struggle early then you'll see Hicks lined up in the gun and that scares me more.

I think that is a legitimate possibility. Just run the option with him and his brother behind him. As long as Mike has the ball in his hands, good things are going to happen.

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
LH Panther mom... why the lack of love for Brownwood?
I honestly have no lack of love for any team. I'm just generally not one to buy into "hype", whether it's a player or a team, unless/until I've seen them play. I'm curious more than anything and wanting to know if they are truly expected to be as good as their ranking(s), or if it's more hype such as what WO-S had when they dropped down. (Lots of posts & rankings then about "watch out for WO-S, they're going to kick butt, etc from non-Mustangs.)

Obviously the Lions have some gifted athletes or there wouldn't be offers they've had.

charlesrixey
06-30-2008, 07:34 PM
[i]
If you look at that and think is was all because of Dustin ESKEW that we won those games, you're crazy. The best receiver in the state returns along with 8 starters that held Celina to 21 points when they were averaging well over 40 for the season. I am fully confident that China Spring can make another deep run in the playoffs and possibly win a state title. And this is Brian's first varsity season. You can't compare until you give him a chance to play. UNFINISHED BUSINESS!!!!! [/B]

agreed

CS's defense was very good

bwdlionfan
06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I honestly have no lack of love for any team. I'm just generally not one to buy into "hype", whether it's a player or a team, unless/until I've seen them play. I'm curious more than anything and wanting to know if they are truly expected to be as good as their ranking(s), or if it's more hype such as what WO-S had when they dropped down. (Lots of posts & rankings then about "watch out for WO-S, they're going to kick butt, etc from non-Mustangs.)

Obviously the Lions have some gifted athletes or there wouldn't be offers they've had.

I'm not familiar with the type of hype that WOS had when they dropped, as I wasn't on the 3A board then. I'm in no way saying we will be a top 3 team this year, but I'm saying we have had teams in the past decade that I do feel would have won state in 3A had we been 3A. We've been scrimmaging Abilene Wylie I wanna say since about the year 2000, until these last two years we finally played them in an actual game. Through those scrimmages, it was usually pretty obvious we were the dominant team, even the year they won state, and the year they went very deep in 3A. I remember in 2003 I believe, Brownwood just demolished them in the scrimmage (Kirby Freeman's senior year as our QB). Now, this is only a scrimmage, but still... it gives us people in Bwood something to talk about, "if we'd been 3A 4, 5, or 6 years ago, we'd probably have 8 or 9 state titles instead of 7." We use this same hope from the past to look to the future now that we are in 3A. We've been down a little the last few years. In 04/05 we were hit with our QB (now at LSU) when he transferred to Brenham and then we were pummeled with injuries, played a 5'6 receiver at QB after the backup got hurt, but still went two rounds deep in the playoffs and lost to Corsicana. Then Pachall's first year in 06, we started slow but then went 4 rounds deep. Last year we beat should have been 5A and #1 ranked 4A Copperas Cove at their house, moved to 5-1 on the season, and then fell apart. So we do think that if we put a complete season together, we are good enough to live up to the hype, but whether we will put an entire season together is yet to be seen.

DU_stud04
06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm not familiar with the type of hype that WOS had when they dropped, as I wasn't on the 3A board then. I'm in no way saying we will be a top 3 team this year, but I'm saying we have had teams in the past decade that I do feel would have won state in 3A had we been 3A. We've been scrimmaging Abilene Wylie I wanna say since about the year 2000, until these last two years we finally played them in an actual game. Through those scrimmages, it was usually pretty obvious we were the dominant team, even the year they won state, and the year they went very deep in 3A. I remember in 2003 I believe, Brownwood just demolished them in the scrimmage (Kirby Freeman's senior year as our QB). Now, this is only a scrimmage, but still... it gives us people in Bwood something to talk about, "if we'd been 3A 4, 5, or 6 years ago, we'd probably have 8 or 9 state titles instead of 7." We use this same hope from the past to look to the future now that we are in 3A. We've been down a little the last few years. In 04/05 we were hit with our QB (now at LSU) when he transferred to Brenham and then we were pummeled with injuries, played a 5'6 receiver at QB after the backup got hurt, but still went two rounds deep in the playoffs and lost to Corsicana. Then Pachall's first year in 06, we started slow but then went 4 rounds deep. Last year we beat should have been 5A and #1 ranked 4A Copperas Cove at their house, moved to 5-1 on the season, and then fell apart. So we do think that if we put a complete season together, we are good enough to live up to the hype, but whether we will put an entire season together is yet to be seen. coulda woulda shoulda, what if..... it didnt happen. stories are good to pass the time. kinda like hype, its something that isnt real. :)

bwdlionfan
06-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
coulda woulda shoulda, what if..... it didnt happen. stories are good to pass the time. kinda like hype, its something that isnt real. :)

Did I say it was real? Maybe you need a reading comprehension class. Perhaps you missed the part where I said that it gives us in Brownwood something to sit around and talk about and hope that it carries over to our future. And your whole "woulda, coulda, shoulda" is irrelevant. We couldn't have, because we weren't 3A.

WHS02
06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
You talk about beating Wylie all the time. Yes Brownwood has beat us but what kind of games were those-YES THEY WERE SCRIMMAGES AND NON DISTRIC GAMES. Wylie and Brownwood both got better through the season. Don't take nothing away from Wylie though. Who cares if you (demolished us in 2003) we still improve throughout the year.

DU_stud04
06-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Did I say it was real? Maybe you need a reading comprehension class. Perhaps you missed the part where I said that it gives us in Brownwood something to sit around and talk about and hope that it carries over to our future. And your whole "woulda, coulda, shoulda" is irrelevant. We couldn't have, because we weren't 3A. then why mention it...guess you didn't see my "story are there just to pass the time" statement..... the hype statement was one to hype in general..... not just the "brownwood hype"..... which is all that it will be. ;)

orange machine
06-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I have nothing against Brownwood other than the fact i have heard people on there site say they will win it all. Some Brownwood people act like they have already won the championship and nobody else should show up top play them. Confidence is good and all gpeople should have it, but some Brownwood people are putting the cart before the horse. I have game film on Brownwood from last season and although they are solid they were not a Liberty Hill, Celina, Gilmer or a China Spring. I truly believe that all of the teams would have beaten Brownwood. Brownwood will be good, but some people are putting them up high because they have had success in 4a. You put Liberty Hill, Celina, Gimer and China in 4a and they will have succsess aswell. Those 4 teams would be in the playoffs every year and make it deep. I like Brownwood they are good, but they will have a hard time getting to state if they can even get that far.;)

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Did I say it was real? Maybe you need a reading comprehension class. Perhaps you missed the part where I said that it gives us in Brownwood something to sit around and talk about and hope that it carries over to our future. And your whole "woulda, coulda, shoulda" is irrelevant. We couldn't have, because we weren't 3A.
I totally understand the Brownwood faithful supporting their team 100%. I wouldn't expect any less, but was wondering what all the "outsiders" thought. :)

espn1
06-30-2008, 09:20 PM
I totally understand the Brownwood faithful supporting their team 100%. I wouldn't expect any less, but was wondering what all the "outsiders" thought. :) I think I'm ready to see what they're made of in week 0. I'm also ready to see how good the Purple Pussy's are going to be this year.:D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by espn1
I think I'm ready to see what they're made of in week 0. I'm also ready to see how good the Purple Pussy's are going to be this year.:D :D :D
LMAO! Be sure to take notes, so you can fill me in for week 4. :D

I think the Purple Pussy's will be good enough to leave a few yelping puppies.
http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/dog25.gif

***Note to self: start looking for smilies :devil:

bwdlionfan
06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
You outsiders are putting words in our mouths... I've yet to see anyone from Brownwood say we will win it all in 3A, and neither did I. I did say that I feel like we would have won one or two in the past decade had we been in 3A in the past.

And if you have a problem with people on the Brownwood site saying they'll win it all, then stay off the site. It's a Brownwood site, not a Celina site. If it were a Celina site, the people would probably be saying Celina will win it all.

orange machine
06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
You outsiders are putting words in our mouths... I've yet to see anyone from Brownwood say we will win it all in 3A, and neither did I. I did say that I feel like we would have won one or two in the past decade had we been in 3A in the past.

And if you have a problem with people on the Brownwood site saying they'll win it all, then stay off the site. It's a Brownwood site, not a Celina site. If it were a Celina site, the people would probably be saying Celina will win it all.

You contridicted yourself you 1st say outsiders are putting words in our mouth... Ive yet to see anyone from Brownwood say we will win it all in 3A and neither did I. Then you say if you have a problem with people on the Brownwood site saying they''ll win it all, then stay off the site. So which way is it? Either it was said or it wasnt. People from Celina wouldnt say we will win it all we are not that arrogant, people from Celina would say we have a good chance to win it all. Followed up by how we have to improve this and that or we want make it past bi district.

pirate4state
06-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
People from Celina wouldnt say we will win it all we are not that arrogant, people from Celina would say we have a good chance to win it all. Followed up by how we have to improve this and that or we want make it past bi district.

:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol:

HOLY CRAP!!! LMAO

espn1
06-30-2008, 09:53 PM

And if you have a problem with people on the Brownwood site saying they'll win it all, then stay off the site. It's a Brownwood site, not a Celina site. If it were a Celina site, the people would probably be saying Celina will win it all. Put boobie in mouth and relax. That's the way this board is. If they didn't like you they wouldn't be giving you a hard time. We've been on this board for a long time so we've pretty much seen it all. Don't let it get to you. Everyone is given a hard time at one time or another.

espn1
06-30-2008, 10:01 PM
I hate to have to play at the Hill even though it's closer for me to travel. Oh well I guess I'll break out the old spurs and be ready to head to the ol rodeo arena when the time comes.
:D :D :D

LMAO! Be sure to take notes, so you can fill me in for week 4. :D

I think the Purple Pussy's will be good enough to leave a few yelping puppies.
http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/dog25.gif

***Note to self: start looking for smilies :devil:

orange machine
06-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol:

HOLY CRAP!!! LMAO

Well its the truth :rolleyes:

bwdlionfan
06-30-2008, 10:24 PM
You contridicted yourself you 1st say outsiders are putting words in our mouth... Ive yet to see anyone from Brownwood say we will win it all in 3A and neither did I. Then you say if you have a problem with people on the Brownwood site saying they''ll win it all, then stay off the site. So which way is it? Either it was said or it wasnt. People from Celina wouldnt say we will win it all we are not that arrogant, people from Celina would say we have a good chance to win it all. Followed up by how we have to improve this and that or we want make it past bi district.

I didn't contradict anyone. First off, learn to spell contradict before you call someone out on it. I said I haven't seen Brownwood people claiming we will win it all, but in your post you said, "I have nothing against Brownwood other than the fact i have heard people on there site say they will win it all."... That's why I said if you have a problem with Brownwood people saying they will win it all on our own site, then stay off of our site. I did not contradict myself.

orange machine
06-30-2008, 10:47 PM
I didn't contradict anyone. First off, learn to spell contradict before you call someone out on it. I said I haven't seen Brownwood people claiming we will win it all, but in your post you said, "I have nothing against Brownwood other than the fact i have heard people on there site say they will win it all."... That's why I said if you have a problem with Brownwood people saying they will win it all on our own site, then stay off of our site. I did not contradict myself.

Im sorry Mr. Spelling B champion. I believe it was Rocket that said it. You Brownwood people get your feelings hurt to bad, heck if your site the Brownwood site and give a opinion and it goes against yall you get kicked off the site all because you had a different opinion. Furthermore i have talked to a few Brownwood people and i know what Brownwood people think and say.:kiss:

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Well its the truth :rolleyes:

I hate to burst your bubble....and I'm not going to go back to look for it, because I KNOW FOR A FACT, it HAS been said on here by various Celina posters in the past!!! Which is fine, but we have had some EXTREMELY arrogant Celina posters on here!! Even some posters that are from Celina themselves would agree!!

:p

orange machine
06-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I hate to burst your bubble....and I'm not going to go back to look for it, because I KNOW FOR A FACT, it HAS been said on here by various Celina posters in the past!!! Which is fine, but we have had some EXTREMELY arrogant Celina posters on here!! Even some posters that are from Celina themselves would agree!!

:p

Mom not in front of the Brownwood people. :eek:

Ranger Mom
06-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Mom not in front of the Brownwood people. :eek:

LOL!! OOps....sorry!!:blush:

STANG RED
07-01-2008, 08:12 AM

Well when you think about it, it's all hype for every team so far. None of them have played a down of football yet this season, and wont for a few months yet. We will all see some teams that are supposed to be good end up being not so good once the ball starts snapping, and some will be better than anyone predicted. But their potential in our opinions is all we have to go on right now. B'wood just seems to have the potential to be very good this year. Problem is, potential doesnt win games. As we have all seen many times in the past.

LH Panther Mom
07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Well when you think about it, it's all hype for every team so far. None of them have played a down of football yet this season, and wont for a few months yet. We will all see some teams that are supposed to be good end up being not so good once the ball starts snapping, and some will be better than anyone predicted. But their potential in our opinions is all we have to go on right now. B'wood just seems to have the potential to be very good this year. Problem is, potential doesnt win games. As we have all seen many times in the past.
Great, just great. Thanks for spoiling the fun with a good dose of reality. :p ;)

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
There is another Pride of Lions in Region I besides Brownwood. Look North toward the Oklahoma border and you will find Vernon.

Since 2001 the Vernon Lions have been to the regional quarter finals four times wining the region twice. The caliber of teams the Lions have beat are impressive and include: Aledo, Abilene Wylie, Decatur, Sweetwater, Kennedale, Snyder and Greenwood.

Brownwood is is good company in Region I and will have some very competitive games come district and playoff time should they make the dance.

garciap77
07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
.......Overconfidence my be their downfall though. ......

You got that right!:iagree:

Lion_Addict
07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
You got that right!:iagree:

NOT! By no means will the players or coaches at Brownwood be overconfident. You may have a few "fans" that seem to be overconfident (it's mainly pride & just plain confidence in this program) but the ones out on the field working their butts off will be doing just that because they know the challenges ahead. The Lions will be confident.....VERY confident, but they will not be taking anyone lightly. My prediction: It's gonna be one heck of an exciting & interesting season!

Ranger Mom
07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
My prediction: It's gonna be one heck of an exciting & interesting season!

I second that!!