PDA

View Full Version : Padre Island Trip (Need Help)

Necks_Fan
06-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Me and my bro are going to Padre Island to go fish amongst other things and we need a bit of help.

Bait stores in Corpus/ PI?
Good place to stay?
Good places to eat?
Local gas prices?
How far from Bob Hall Pier is all of this?

ANY help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:)

cr180t
06-28-2008, 11:07 AM
We go there every summer the gas prices were cheaper there then in Snyder last summer. We have stayed 2 places the holiday in and the tikki my son liked the tikki because it was like an apartment. Most hotels are on the beach side make sure you stay in one of them. I liked the holiday inn. It is not that $ it is a great family vacation

Necks_Fan
06-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by cr180t
We go there every summer the gas prices were cheaper there then in Snyder last summer. We have stayed 2 places the holiday in and the tikki my son liked the tikki because it was like an apartment. Most hotels are on the beach side make sure you stay in one of them. I liked the holiday inn. It is not that $ it is a great family vacation Do you need to call reserve a place to stay? Should there be available places?

Also- Any info related to FISHING would be most appreciated. I am very thankful fo any info I can get tho.

Thanks cr180t

cr180t
06-28-2008, 11:26 AM
My wife usually takes care of our trip we go with a group my daughter does the cheerleading competition there. I would get on the internet and see if I could get any package deals. We took a boat trip that was great as well. There is a sea food place right before you go across teh bridge black beard I think it was very good with a good atmosophere. Is this a family trip? If so tehy have several packages online.

Necks_Fan
06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
My wife usually takes care of our trip we go with a group my daughter does the cheerleading competition there. I would get on the internet and see if I could get any package deals. We took a boat trip that was great as well. There is a sea food place right before you go across teh bridge black beard I think it was very good with a good atmosophere. Is this a family trip? If so tehy have several packages online. Me/ my bro/ and Gramps

cr180t
06-28-2008, 11:40 AM
It will be a blast. I know they have several fishing packages. When we went on the boat trip I saw several fishing boats. The food is very good not the best seafood I have had but the steaks were great that does not make sense I know. We really like the beach area tehy do a good job of keeping it clean and there are some great views. We are going the the middle of July.

Necks_Fan
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
It will be a blast. I know they have several fishing packages. When we went on the boat trip I saw several fishing boats. The food is very good not the best seafood I have had but the steaks were great that does not make sense I know. We really like the beach area tehy do a good job of keeping it clean and there are some great views. We are going the the middle of July. We are going July 7-11.

We will be doing all of our fishing from Bob Hall Pier or the surrounding beach. No boats for us.:)

Old Tiger
06-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Eating - Blackbeards

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Me and my bro are going to Padre Island to go fish amongst other things and we need a bit of help.

Good place to stay?
Good places to eat?
Local gas prices?

Bear in mind that PI (aka Port Isabel) is nowhere near Corpus Christi. Port Isabel is actually another 2 1/2 hour drive farther south down Highway 77, then exit TX Highway 100 headed east towards Port Isabel. As for the fishing, it's just as good as the Upper Laguna Madre area (up towards CC, Port Aransas, etc.) so if you're willing to drive a little farther south, then by all means go for it!

As for places to stay, there's a whole lot, it just really depends on what you'd like to do while in town. If you're there for fishing only, I would recommend White Sands Hotel and Marina which is right in the heart of Port Isabel. That place also has a few bait shops nearby for your live/dead/artificial bait shopping pleasure.

Head farther east towards the Queen Isabella Causeway and off to the left you'll see the Pirate's Landing Restaurant (awesome Po' Boys btw) and Fishing Pier. Access to the pier is cheap, and they also sell live/dead/artificial baits.

Now, if you are the partying type, then there's MULTIPLE places to stay at on South Padre Island. As for the fishing, there are a couple of bait shops along Laguna Blvd. and are right next to each other. South Padre Island has 3 main roads running North/South, Laguna Blvd which runs along the bay side of the island, Padre Blvd which is right in the middle and is the main thoroughfare, and Gulf Blvd which runs near the beach. The better of the two bait shops is Jim's Pier, which also offers bay and deep sea guides and party boats along with bait. However, farther south on the island on the bay side is another fishing pier complete with bait shop and cheap access to the pier for your fishing pleasure. Now for the party scene, there's tons of clubs on the island to hang out at. The best one is Louie's Backyard, and it's not hard to spot with all the Bungee Jumping/Reverse Bungee/Wooden Go-Kart Track, and bright lights all in front of it.

Regardless of where you go, you shouldn't have any problems having fun fishing, but if you wanna go clubbing during the night time hours, Port Isabel/South Padre Island is the place to be.

garciap77
06-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Good place to stay?
Good places to eat?
Local gas prices?

If you are going to South Padre Island then Jessie's Cantina is excellent place to eat. Gas price last year were cheaper than in West Texas. We drove from Abilene to Needville to South Padre. Road trip! The best gasoline prices were in Port Isabella's HEB. Have a great time down there! Drive safe!

Maroon87
06-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Good place to stay?
Good places to eat?
Local gas prices?

If your gonna stay on Padre Island, the Holiday Inn Sunspree is nice. It's right on the beach and Bob Hall Pier is in sight.

Bull Butter
06-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas

Regardless of where you go, you shouldn't have any problems having fun fishing, but if you wanna go clubbing during the night time hours, Port Isabel/South Padre Island is the place to be.

Plus, there is a band(that gets mentioned on here occasionally) that owns their own nightclub just south of the Radisson Resort hotel:)

Necks_Fan
06-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
If your gonna stay on Padre Island, the Holiday Inn Sunspree is nice. It's right on the beach and Bob Hall Pier is in sight. Cool. Can I get a ballpark estimate of what I would be paying /night?

Necks_Fan
06-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
Bear in mind that PI (aka Port Isabel) is nowhere near Corpus Christi. Port Isabel is actually another 2 1/2 hour drive farther south down Highway 77, then exit TX Highway 100 headed east towards Port Isabel. As for the fishing, it's just as good as the Upper Laguna Madre area (up towards CC, Port Aransas, etc.) so if you're willing to drive a little farther south, then by all means go for it!

As for places to stay, there's a whole lot, it just really depends on what you'd like to do while in town. If you're there for fishing only, I would recommend White Sands Hotel and Marina which is right in the heart of Port Isabel. That place also has a few bait shops nearby for your live/dead/artificial bait shopping pleasure.

Head farther east towards the Queen Isabella Causeway and off to the left you'll see the Pirate's Landing Restaurant (awesome Po' Boys btw) and Fishing Pier. Access to the pier is cheap, and they also sell live/dead/artificial baits.

Now, if you are the partying type, then there's MULTIPLE places to stay at on South Padre Island. As for the fishing, there are a couple of bait shops along Laguna Blvd. and are right next to each other. South Padre Island has 3 main roads running North/South, Laguna Blvd which runs along the bay side of the island, Padre Blvd which is right in the middle and is the main thoroughfare, and Gulf Blvd which runs near the beach. The better of the two bait shops is Jim's Pier, which also offers bay and deep sea guides and party boats along with bait. However, farther south on the island on the bay side is another fishing pier complete with bait shop and cheap access to the pier for your fishing pleasure. Now for the party scene, there's tons of clubs on the island to hang out at. The best one is Louie's Backyard, and it's not hard to spot with all the Bungee Jumping/Reverse Bungee/Wooden Go-Kart Track, and bright lights all in front of it.

Regardless of where you go, you shouldn't have any problems having fun fishing, but if you wanna go clubbing during the night time hours, Port Isabel/South Padre Island is the place to be. Thanks for all the good info.

I will be in SPI, not PI, but I might think about heading that way as well.

Old Tiger
06-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Eating - Blackbeards Go Blue I second this nomination....when I went I had the calimari and it was fantastic

LH Panther Mom
06-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Cool. Can I get a ballpark estimate of what I would be paying /night?
I'd guess they have a website and/or phone. :doh:

Old Tiger
06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Cool. Can I get a ballpark estimate of what I would be paying /night? http://www.lacoparesort.com/

during spring break it was like 200 something a night but that's price inflated cause of SB.

real nice and they have waffles as a complimentary breakfast

footballgal
07-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the good info.

I will be in SPI, not PI, but I might think about heading that way as well.
Actually if your heading towards SPI you kind of have to pass through Port Isabel ;)

PhiI C
07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't forget that if you ever go to South Padre Island, Texas that you can hear the great Pelican West Band whose place is located just south of the Radisson Hotel.

IHStangFan
07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
provided you have a 4x4 and like to surf fish...I'd take a tent and hit up Big Shell.

big daddy russ
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
North Padre/Port Aransas (Mustang Island)/Flour Bluff

IHStangFan was right on the money with Big Shell. Take a couple of surf poles, some squid, and go out for some shark. But make sure you have a 4x4 if that's your plan. You won't make it down there in a two-wheel drive.

Other good spots include Baffin Bay (an hour or so south, just past Kingsville), Bob Hall pier (if you don't mind a lot of hurry-up-and-wait), Fish Pass between North Padre and Port A, and Charley's Pasture in Port A.

The Sunspree Resort is a great call for a place to stay. For seafood, most restaurants down there have cook-your-catch deals that are very reasonable and are usually better than anything you can get at a restaurant because of how fresh they are.

If you just want something without giving up you own fish, or if you throw a goose egg for the day, Snoopy's under the JFK Causeway is great. It's relatively cheap, meets my standards (and I'm a self-admitted seafood snob... It's a terrible condition, I know... I won't eat at Red Lobster or Landry's), and is a unique atmosphere. Most importantly, it's where the locals go. If the locals go there, you know it's good.

For dinner at least one day, though, make the 15-mile trip south to Port A and hit up Shells. I've eaten some highly-recommended seafood in Miami, have eaten at Gaidos in Galveston, and have eaten at just about every seafood joint in the Corpus area and can say that it's far and away the best I've ever had. That includes places two or three times as expensive. It's small and kind of hard to find, but it's on G Street on the right. To give you a general idea, go to the first red light going into Port A down Hwy 361 from Corpus/North Padre. At the intersection there will be a Momentum Surf Shop, a Circle K, and another souvenir shop with a liquor store out front. Shell's will be a tiny square building a few blocks down on the right.

Pelican's Landing is probably the second-best seafood restaurant under $20 a plate in Port Aransas. I don't know if they still have their lunch specials, but their lemon butter fish and fish tacos are amazing. If you're coming down Hwy 361, again from Corpus/North Padre, just go straight into town and it'll be on your left.

Hooks in Port A is also good, cheap seafood. $11 for a great blackened and seared tuna steak... best deal on the island IMO.

Back on North Padre, try the Dragon Fly Restaurant. They're in a little strip center on the right side of South Padre Island Drive going back into Corpus. They're also pretty good.

I hope this gets you started.

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Good place to stay?
Good places to eat?
Local gas prices?

Go to Wal Mart in Corpus... buy lures and cast-net
eat the fish you catch
gas prices shouldn't matter, they're all bad
fish don't only eat at bob hall pier

actually I don't know, never fished there much...

good luck and have fun

Gobbla2001
07-06-2008, 10:04 PM
The Calamari at Pelican's Landing is mmm mmmmm good... and I don't like sea-food...

trying to remember the name of this Mexican place we ate at last time in PA... the tortilla soup was the bayest...

footballgal
07-07-2008, 08:48 AM
I wonder how his trip is going since it's being raining since last week... and it's still raining as I speak. :(

DDBooger
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
The Calamari at Pelican's Landing is mmm mmmmm good... and I don't like sea-food...
isn't their a band that plays there quite often?
:D

AP Panther Fan
07-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Here's a link (http://www.rockportaransas.com/portaransas/placestoeat.html) that lists most of the restaurants in Port Aransas. The ones Big Daddy Russ mentioned are good. I also like The Wharf Restaurant and have heard good things about Virginia's on the Bay.

Hope you have a good trip.:)

Necks_Fan
07-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
I wonder how his trip is going since it's being raining since last week... and it's still raining as I speak. :( Got put on hold. Lol. Waiting til the 21st now.

sinton66
07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Do you need to call reserve a place to stay? Should there be available places?

Also- Any info related to FISHING would be most appreciated. I am very thankful fo any info I can get tho.

Thanks cr180t

I would recommend reservation if you want to stay at the Holiday Inn. Short trip to Bob Hall pier. Close to Packery Channel. Another idea is to rent a small motoorboat and fish around Shamrock cove.

Not a lot of live bait on the island, most of the bait shops are along SPID. Couple along Humble channel headed to the island. (Watch for the white flags) Shamrock cove works fairly well on spincast and artificial worms (Trout or Redfish jigs, white with a red tip or sparkly red). Everywhere else would recommend live shrimp (a bit costly). Bob Hall , live shrimp (best)or cut bait (depending on what you want to catch). But, you'll need some spider sand weights.