PDA

View Full Version : Is rice a vegetable?

Gsquared
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
It grows but is it considered a vegetable?

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I would assume so.

Ranger Mom
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
It's a grain you silly geese!!:D

Gsquared
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
A grain? Do they use a combine to harvest?

Old Tiger
06-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's a grain you silly geese!!:D I'm surprised you didn't say gooses :p

Ranger Mom
06-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I'm surprised you didn't say gooses :p

I DO, in fact, actually have quite a good grasp of the English language.

Is it moose, mooses....or meese?:thinking:

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 02:24 PM

Is it moose, mooses....or meese?:thinking: Moose is for singular and plural I think.

What about fish and fishes?

Old Tiger
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Is it moose, mooses....or meese?:thinking: there were at least 79 moose they're :D

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
there were at least 79 moose they're :D :thinking:

STANG RED
06-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
It grows but is it considered a vegetable?

I knew my 4 years of FFA would come in handy some day.
Rice is a cereal grain. Along with barley, buckwheat, corn, rye, oats, and wheat.;)

Ranger Mom
06-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Rice is a cereal grain. Along with barley, buckwheat, corn, rye, oats, and wheat.;)

I thought Buckwheat was one of the Little Rascals!!:confused: :confused:

:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

waterboy
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
What's buckwheat?:confused: And I always thought corn was a vegetable. I've been wrong all these years?:confused:

STANG RED
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I thought Buckwheat was one of the Little Rascals!!:confused: :confused:

:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Yes, but if you grind him up fine enough, add a little sugar and maybe some cream, he becomes a mighty tasty breakfast treat. And he's heart healthy to boot.:p

STANG RED
06-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
What's buckwheat?:confused: And I always thought corn was a vegetable. I've been wrong all these years?:confused:

Here you go Mrs. Smartypants:p

Buckwheat

Sometimes considered a cereal grain because it is processed and prepared in similar ways, buckwheat, which is a native plant of Russia, is actually an herb that is related to rhubarb and sorrel. It does not require top grade soil to grow and it can actually do quite well in poor, rocky soil. The crop is ready for harvesting in less than 60 days, so farmers in colder climates are often able to harvest two crops per season. It is also naturally pest resistant and it doesn't require fertilizer to grow properly.

Buckwheat is grown in many temperate areas of the world including northeastern Europe, Russia, the northeastern United States, areas near the Great Lakes, and in parts of Canada. Three-fourths of the Canadian crop is exported to Japan for the production of the popular soba noodles.

Buckwheat seeds or grains are triangular-shaped and are used for hot cereal, sausage filler, soups, and savory side dishes. It is most often ground into flour and used in pancakes, crepes, muffins, and soba noodles. Buckwheat has an earthy, grassy flavor with a slight cocoa taste and it tastes best when the kernels are roasted. It is very hearty and flavorful, although it may seem overpowering to some people. Buckwheat that has been roasted is known by the Russian name "kasha" and unroasted buckwheat is simply called "buckwheat". Roasted buckwheat is darker in color and has a stronger flavor than unroasted.

waterboy
06-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Here you go Mrs. Smartypants:p

Buckwheat

Sometimes considered a cereal grain because it is processed and prepared in similar ways, buckwheat, which is a native plant of Russia, is actually an herb that is related to rhubarb and sorrel. It does not require top grade soil to grow and it can actually do quite well in poor, rocky soil. The crop is ready for harvesting in less than 60 days, so farmers in colder climates are often able to harvest two crops per season. It is also naturally pest resistant and it doesn't require fertilizer to grow properly.

Buckwheat is grown in many temperate areas of the world including northeastern Europe, Russia, the northeastern United States, areas near the Great Lakes, and in parts of Canada. Three-fourths of the Canadian crop is exported to Japan for the production of the popular soba noodles.

Buckwheat seeds or grains are triangular-shaped and are used for hot cereal, sausage filler, soups, and savory side dishes. It is most often ground into flour and used in pancakes, crepes, muffins, and soba noodles. Buckwheat has an earthy, grassy flavor with a slight cocoa taste and it tastes best when the kernels are roasted. It is very hearty and flavorful, although it may seem overpowering to some people. Buckwheat that has been roasted is known by the Russian name "kasha" and unroasted buckwheat is simply called "buckwheat". Roasted buckwheat is darker in color and has a stronger flavor than unroasted.
That's pretty good, but I ain't no Mrs.:p :cool:

STANG RED
06-27-2008, 04:21 PM
That's pretty good, but I ain't no Mrs.:p :cool:

Oops, I dont know how that happened.:confused: I was meaning to address RM. Sorry about that.:(

waterboy
06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Oops, I dont know how that happened.:confused: I was meaning to address RM. Sorry about that.:(
Yeah, I figured that's who you was addressing. It's alright. Just do three laps around your house over the weekend and we'll be square.:D

Trashman
06-27-2008, 04:48 PM

You probably think tomatoes are vegetables as well.

waterboy
06-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
You probably think tomatoes are vegetables as well.
It's not??:confused: Man, is it a legume? Or what? I can't remember.:confused: :smoker: I musta slept through most of Vo-Ag!:sleeping: :D

Ranger Mom
06-27-2008, 11:30 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: