PDA

View Full Version : A Texan's map of the United States

Ranger Mom
06-27-2008, 09:44 AM
This is a postcard that was sent in March of 1954! Some of the play on names of those "other" states are funny!

http://www.cardcow.com/images/a-texans-map-of-the-united-states-scenic-us-state-town-views-texas-scenic-42458.jpg

No wonder the state tourism slogan is: “It’s like a whole other country”. Or that people from the Lone Star State like to state that “Everything’s bigger in Texas.” But apparently not big enough, according to this postcard map. A supersized Texas expands to fill out the central part of the US, leaving the other states diminished in size with rather disparaging alternate names:

Washington: Wash Tin
Oregon: All Gone
California: uninhabitable
Idaho: Hi Ho
Utah: You Saw
Nevada: Never Add
Arizona: Arid Zone
New Mexico: New Mix (Hiccup)
Montana: Mount Annie
Colorado: Color Radio
Wyoming: Why Home In
North Dakota: North Colder
South Dakota: The Cold (South)
Nebraska: Knee Grass
Kansas: Can This
Oklahoma: Okay?
Minnesota: Mint Soda
Iowa : Out-A-Way
Missouri: Misery
Wisconsin: Wise Cousin
Illinois: Ill Noise
Michigan: Miss Again
Indiana: Indian Annie
Arkansas : Arch Insult
Ohio: Old High
Kentucky: Canned Turkey
Tennessee: Ten Seeds
Louisiana: Lousy Annie
Mississippi: Miss-Is-Yippi
Alabama: All Mammy
North Carolina: North Carol’s Line
South Carolina: South Carol’s Line
The New England states (plus NY, NJ and PA - and a big part of Maritime Canada): “Damned Yankee” Land
West Virginia: West Gin
Maryland: Snafu
Georgia: Judgy
Florida: Swamp Land

The Great Lakes are ‘Few Puddles’.

pirate4state
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
:D :clap: :D :clap:

HEMOTOXIC
06-27-2008, 10:19 AM
:clap: :clap: ;)

AP Panther Fan
06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
lol....it's no wonder people from other states hate us...we've been making fun of them for how long now?:D

I am liking that we now have Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco within our border....gulfs on both side of the state...better beaches and margaritas!:cool:

Nursebetty
06-27-2008, 10:52 AM
That is soooooooo funny............thanks for sharing! Well, like the commercial always says, "TEXAS is like a whole nother country!"!

STANG RED
06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Well no wonder it gets so dang cold up in the panhandle. Their dang near in Canada up there.:D

Blitzkrieg
06-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Brown o ville, lol....

Ranger Mom
06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
It looks like San Angelo has moved over some in the past 50 years....I think that's about where Crane is now!!:D

STANG RED
06-27-2008, 03:24 PM
What about the Baja Peninsula? Why isnt it part of Texas also? :mad: There are a lot of cool places out there, and the big game fishing is amazing off the Baja coast. I say lets take it over! :D

AP Panther Fan
06-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
What about the Baja Peninsula? Why isnt it part of Texas also? :mad: There are a lot of cool places out there, and the big game fishing is amazing off the Baja coast. I say lets take it over! :D

Cabo is within spitting distance.

LOL....did you notice that it is the Gulf of Texas instead of the Gulf of Mexico...:D

Johnny 5
06-27-2008, 05:24 PM
What is the best thing to come out of Oklahoma?

Southbound I-75

:D