PDA

View Full Version : Six finalists name for Diboll AD/HC position

mistanice
06-27-2008, 07:31 AM
By JOSH HAVARD
The Lufkin Daily News

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The search for the Diboll athletic director/head football coaching position has been narrowed down to six finalists after approximately 30 coaches sent in resumes for the soon to be vacant position.

Gary Martel served in the position and is the lone finalist in Diboll's search for a new superintendent. He will be officially named to the post at the school board meeting on July 7.

The new athletic director/football coach should be announced on Monday, although he will not be officially named to the position until July 7.

The finalists for the position are: Paul Walker (Crosby assistant coach, former head coach at Hamshire-Fannett and Brazos), Glen Turnstall (athletic director/head coach at Palestine), Paul Essary (Deer Park defensive coordinator), Tom Shepherd (Tatum defensive coordinator), Wayne Mahaffey (former Rusk athletic director) and Terry Johnson (Diboll assistant head coach).

After accepting applications, the finalists were interviewed by a group of Diboll administrators. Martel said he was not involed with the interview process other than "showing them the town and the facilities."

The interview board consisted of high school principal Daniel Lopez, junior high principal Mark Kettering, girls athletic coordinator Laura Knight, girls middle school coordinator LeAnn Trotter, director of bands Joey Acker and Ag/CATE director Kevin Swor.

Martel said he would also talk with school board president Trey Wilkerson before an official announcement is made.

"They interviewed every applicant then rated them," Martel said. "They've been very instrumental in our success here, and I have all the confidence in the world for them to handle the interview process."

Three others that were considered strong candidates elected to no longer be considered for the job.

W.T. Johnson, the Newton defensive coordinator, pulled out of the running because he has a son that will be a senior at Newton this upcoming season.

"He was one of my guys, and he means a lot to me," Martel said. "I have all the respect in the world for him because he chose to be a father before choosing to be a coach."

Russ Sutherland, a coach at Sam Houston Moss Bluff High School in Lake Charles, La., chose to stay with his current position.

Keith Gardner, who has led the Alto Yellowjackets to back-to-back 1A state titles, elected to stay in Alto.

Martel said he was confident that the program would hire the right athletic director.

"We're going to get a great coach out of this deal," Martel said.

www.lufkindailynews.com

mistanice
06-27-2008, 06:48 PM
When did Turnstall leave Palestine?

kaorder1999
06-29-2008, 08:57 AM
The article says he's the AD at Palestine so I'm guessing he's still there. Are they just going to hire from within and waste all the other applicants time on a formality?

Txbroadcaster
06-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
The article says he's the AD at Palestine so I'm guessing he's still there. Are they just going to hire from within and waste all the other applicants time on a formality?

No he is was let go at end of season

Johnny Utah
06-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I hope Paul Walker has a shot. Former Rockdale DC back in mid 90's!!! From Newton, great football mind!!!

Old Tiger
06-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I heard it's going to be a hire from within....FWIW

Johnny Utah
06-29-2008, 03:20 PM
At this late date, makes perfect sense.

kaorder1999
06-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
At this late date, makes perfect sense.

it does make perfect sense so why go through the process? They shoul dhave just gave it to the guy within and not waste these other guys time!