PDA

View Full Version : Energy conservation

GreenMonster
06-26-2008, 09:57 PM
When our country last faced climbing energy prices (read oil) and rapid inflation for everyday goods with wages not matching the rate of inflation what were some of the things that we did to reverse the trend? I know that this is when the National Govt instituted the national speed limit of 55 and this is also when the govt really torqued down on automakers to produce more efficient automobiles. What are some other examples? Also, do you think the government will reinstitute some of those measures in the near future to lower our country's consumption of fossil fuels? I know that I have started driving between 55 and 60 on a 70mph speed limit highway back and forth to work and I get some really bad looks from other drivers and it's generally uncomfortable watching all of these cars buzz past at 15 - 25 mph faster than what I am traveling.

Emerson1
06-26-2008, 09:58 PM
If people would just leave 5 minutes earlier it would solve most of the world's problems

DU_stud04
06-26-2008, 10:11 PM
i drove 55mph on a 210 mile trip. it was quite relaxing. had about 5 country cd's..... enjoyed them all. also noticed my tank was more than half full still....which made me happy :D

GreenMonster
06-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i drove 55mph on a 210 mile trip. it was quite relaxing. had about 5 country cd's..... enjoyed them all. also noticed my tank was more than half full still....which made me happy :D Yeah, heading to San Antonio in a couple weeks which is roughly a 400 mile trip one way. Thinking long and hard about setting the cruise at 55 and going south on US 281 and just enjoying the scenery that the hill country provides.

lepfan
06-26-2008, 10:50 PM
The concept sounds good...but my foot----------ughhhh, gonna have to try it.

Trashman
06-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
When our country last faced climbing energy prices (read oil) and rapid inflation for everyday goods with wages not matching the rate of inflation what were some of the things that we did to reverse the trend? I know that this is when the National Govt instituted the national speed limit of 55 and this is also when the govt really torqued down on automakers to produce more efficient automobiles. What are some other examples? Also, do you think the government will reinstitute some of those measures in the near future to lower our country's consumption of fossil fuels? I know that I have started driving between 55 and 60 on a 70mph speed limit highway back and forth to work and I get some really bad looks from other drivers and it's generally uncomfortable watching all of these cars buzz past at 15 - 25 mph faster than what I am traveling.

Having survived the 70's, I remember all too well the horror of those days. President Nixion used an executive order to institute a nation wide price freeze to get inflation under control. He also mandated that the auto makers produce higher mileage cars, back then the average car got 10-12 miles a gallon. Every shade tree mechnic in the country had some sort of invention that was supposed to get you better fuel mileage; none of them worked. The fuel additive market took off like a shot out of a riffle. The stratigic reserve was either created or was increased. The speed limit was dropped to 55. As a result We bought CB radios to avoid speed traps and drove 60-65 anyway. Truckers went on strike to protest high fuel prices, some created slow moving convoys to protest. Becasue of the trucker strike the shelves of some food became empty that prompted people to buy and hord food. This fear created a run on some banks forcing them to close until the hysteria died down. Americans began to buy forigen cars that got better fuel mileage and the American auto industry almost went under until it caught up with forigen auto makers in the mid 80's. Chrysler did go under and the feds bailed them out. But becasue of the American consumer bought better cars drove slower and learned better driving habbits an oil glut occured through out most of the 90's. forceing the price of a barrel of oil below $20. Scientest explored every possibility with the technology available to ween us from forigen oil, nothing worked except better driving habbits. You are probably thinking that the 70's were a horrible time, but it wasn't. We lived in a small town and did not experience much of the above except for the high fuel prices. We will get through this, just as we did during the 70's someone will come along with the technology this time to break the hold that oil has on us.

Blastoderm55
06-27-2008, 07:49 AM
I'd love to drive 55 on the highway, but lets face it, its not safe. Drivers (you too truckers) are freaking maniacs around here and only get worse as you get into the larger cities. People today will sooner complain about their "right" to speed than protect their "right" to not get reamed at the gas pump.

pirate4state
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I feel the need. The need for speed. :D ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p