PDA

View Full Version : Navasoa-94th most racially diverse city in America

bwdlionfan
06-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Am doing some research for a paper I'm writing in class and was looking at racially diverse cities. Navasota popped up, I've never been there, just thought it was something interesting that I'd post since I've heard a lot about Navasota since joining this site.

Here is the link:
http://www.city-data.com/top35.html

HEMOTOXIC
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Am doing some research for a paper I'm writing in class and was looking at racially diverse cities. Navasota popped up, I've never been there, just thought it was something interesting that I'd post since I've heard a lot about Navasota since joining this site.

Here is the link:
http://www.city-data.com/top35.html

Yeah, well if you are just looking at Anglo, Hispanics, and African Americans, I would say that Navasota is diverse...Not many Asians.

bwdlionfan
06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I was actually trying to find information on Asians in Houston and how fast the Asian population is growing when I stumbled upon that page.

Old Tiger
06-26-2008, 07:45 PM
do these #'s count illegal immigrants? If so Rockdale has to be up there!

navscanmaster
06-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Not a surprise, really. Ditto on Asians though. Even a lot of the neighborhoods are racially diverse. Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics all live amongst each other in most neighborhoods. There are a couple industries (Interstate, Grant Prideco, Trinity) that hire many minorities, and pay them well. Most new house sales in Navasota in the past 5 years or so have been to minorities. If only they would start improving streets and other infrastructure on the west side of town.

WOS87
06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Have you looked closely at the data they have listed on city-data.com??

Apparently their definition of "Racially diverse" is "lowest percentage of white non-hispanics".

Their #1 "racially diverse city" Indian Wells, Arizona is part of the Navajo Territory and is 98.35% Native-American. Explain to me how that is Racially diverse?? That's more homogenous than Cumberland, Maine (which is 98.2% white). It appears that the entire top 12 are all towns in or near Indian Reservations.

HEMOTOXIC
06-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by WOS87

Apparently their definition of "Racially diverse" is "lowest percentage of white non-hispanics".

Their #1 "racially diverse city" Indian Wells, Arizona is part of the Navajo Territory and is 98.35% Native-American. Explain to me how that is Racially diverse?? That's more homogenous than Cumberland, Maine (which is 98.2% white). It appears that the entire top 12 are all towns in or near Indian Reservations.

Yeah, I don't consider that being diverse.

On the other hand, just step into Navasota schools. It is amazing how the classes are so diverse. Most of the time you see majority white, black, or hispanic. But, in Navasota, you see a good mix of all races.

HEMOTOXIC
06-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Not a surprise, really. Ditto on Asians though. Even a lot of the neighborhoods are racially diverse. Blacks, Whites, and Hispanics all live amongst each other in most neighborhoods. There are a couple industries (Interstate, Grant Prideco, Trinity) that hire many minorities, and pay them well. Most new house sales in Navasota in the past 5 years or so have been to minorities. If only they would start improving streets and other infrastructure on the west side of town.

I agree, the west end of town needs the biggest improvements. For those that don't know, that is the area mainly along 105 heading towards Brenham.

And since we are talking about Navasota, I see that two new hotels are coming to town along with a third (105 and Hwy 6) by next year. That is good news to the economy and good news to TAMU fans. Now, we just need to work on getting some more restaurants in town. Following the Little Dribblers National Girls Tournament that was held in Navasota earlier this month, visitors thought that Navasota did a great job of hosting the tournament. But, everyone all agreed that Navasota needs more restaurants.
Also, I see that the land next to the Ford dearlership is 'Sale Pending'. I wonder who is buying the land. WalMart posted a sign that said that a Super Center was coming but since they have remolded the current Wal Mart, I guess no super center is coming no time soon. It really is great to see that Navasota is growing and trying to catch up with the surrounding towns like B/CS, Brenham, Montgomery, Conroe, Magnolia, etc....Not saying that we will catch these towns in growth but atleast see the growth in Navasota that is evident in the towns surrounding Navasota.

Matthew328
06-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I always thought Killeen was one of the most racially diverse cities in the country?

NastySlot
06-27-2008, 08:47 AM
my minor was geography and when studying texas population i always thought that area around victoria/cuero was probably the most diverse in texas....when looking at the ethinic make up of the anglos in the area you have a great mix.....germans, czech, polish etc then you have the hispanic (mexican american) and african american populations..........get closer to the coast and you do have some asians mainly vietnamese...................wrote a paper for a class once on texas cultures....of course mine included the importance of high school football...........i even sited examples off a cuero roster for the ethnic breakdown of surnames.

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by WOS87

Their #1 "racially diverse city" Indian Wells, Arizona is part of the Navajo Territory and is 98.35% Native-American. Explain to me how that is Racially diverse?? That's more homogenous than Cumberland, Maine (which is 98.2% white). It appears that the entire top 12 are all towns in or near Indian Reservations. Well, to quote Shane Sparks.

"You just SXXXXXX on everyone."

Lol.