PDA

View Full Version : The first overall pick of the '65 AFL draft was from Brownwood

bwdlionfan
06-26-2008, 04:45 PM
From: http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=33&url_article_id=1895&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

6/22/08: We're ready for some football Looking for a place to eat a very late dinner in town, we found a restaurant advertising they were "pig lickin' good." While a bit cautious, we ate a very good meal at Humphrey Pete's in Brownwood and thankfully never found out what exactly "pig lickin' " might be.

We needed to drive to Brownwood from Burnet as we had an early start to our final day this week. We were treated to a preview of the soon-to-be opened Gordon Wood museum in Brownwood. It was about 80% complete as of this weekend and I can tell you if you are a High School Football fan, it will be a really neat experience.

From there we went to the Brownwood 7 on 7 tournament held at the high school while we left Dave to sign books at a tent set up a nearby Sonic. The football was great to watch--isn't any football in June a good thing? We saw Super Teamers Casey Paschal and Kenny Vaccaro show off their stuff along with Top Junior prospect Lache Seastrunk of Temple. The hype on Seastrunk is pretty amazing for the Junior-to-be so to avoid sounding like a football novice you should know that his first name is pronounced "Lake" not "La-Shay".

When we went back to the Sonic nearby to assist with the magazine signing we met another "celebrity" who stopped by to greet us. While McGee graced our 48th edition in 2007, we had to go back 43 issues to remember this next person.

Baylor great Lawrence Elkins stopped by as he is a Brownwood native and long time friend of Mr. Campbell who graced the 1964 edition's cover. In fact, Dave told me that Gordon Wood told him personally that Elkins was the greatest competitor he ever coached.

If you are trying to stump a friend with Dave Campbell's trivia, this tidbit could win you a small bet if you are so inclined. "Who is the only collegiate Dave Campbell's Texas Football Cover boy that went on to a be an overall # 1 draft pick from the Houston Oilers?"

Most will think Earl Campbell. While he did appear on the 2006 cover it was clearly after his college career ended.

Answer: Lawrence Elkins, # 1 pick in the 1965 AFL draft by the Houston Oilers. -- Adam Hochfelder

Phil C
06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
He was a great player. Unfortunately even though he played pro football for a few years his pro career never really got off the ground. He suffered a knee injury in his rookie season with Houston. This was bad luck which probably cost us a great Pro football receiver.

bwdlionfan
06-26-2008, 05:36 PM
I found him on wikipedia.com and it mentioned he was also drafted in the '65 NFL draft by the packers. I'm guessing players back then could go to both drafts and pick whichever one they wanted to go to. This was way before my time, but I'm imagining he would have been playing with Bart Starr and under Vince Lambardi, but I imagine he chose Houston to stay closer to home? Who knows. Green Bay would be a cooooold place to play too. They have a huge picture of Lawrence Elkins up on the outside of Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco. My dad actually met Mr. Elkins last night and was talking to him a bit. He told me that Mr. Elkins said he just happened to be a guy with a little bit of athletic ability who was in the right places at the right time. My dad said he's really nice and really modest about it all.