PDA

View Full Version : jerry jeff walker

jason
06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
free show tomorrow at the stephenville city park - never seen him before, is he any good live ??

GreenMonster
06-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by jason
free show tomorrow at the stephenville city park - never seen him before, is he any good live ?? He's OK. He is one of those old school stand at the mic and sing guys. He will play all of the old standby's and you will sing along like everyone else.

lepfan
06-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Saw him in Brenham one night...many a moons ago...don't remember much about that night...

44INAROW
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Saw him in Brenham one night...many a moons ago...don't remember much about that night...
same thing here LepFan. it was a long time ago at Lomita Opry House in Victoria,, must have been early 80's... really don't remember much of that night either....... but I think we had a good time ;) Up Against the Wall, RedNeck Mothers :p ( think he sang that)

lepfan
06-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
same thing here LepFan. it was a long time ago at Lomita Opry House in Victoria,, must have been early 80's... really don't remember much of that night either....... but I think we had a good time ;) Up Against the Wall, RedNeck Mothers :p ( think he sang that) I was MUCH younger and bounced back quickly... at my age now I think it would take me a week to bounce back!!!!

GreenMonster
06-26-2008, 12:44 AM
same thing here LepFan. it was a long time ago at Lomita Opry House in Victoria,, must have been early 80's... really don't remember much of that night either....... but I think we had a good time ;) Up Against the Wall, RedNeck Mothers :p ( think he sang that)

Goat Ropers Need Love Too!

3ABirdMan
06-26-2008, 07:42 AM
When I was 16, I owned 7 different Jerry Jeff 8-tracks. I built a tape-holder to fit the transmission hump in my trucks' floorboard in shop class, and had to make it big enough for those 7 plus a "Kool and the Gang" tape.

But - alas - as time went on, the 8-tracks all broke, and none survived. I replaced "Viva Terlingua" twice, and "A Man Must Carry On" once on 8-track before I got smart enough to buy the album :nerd: .

Those tapes made a big impression on me as a kid, and I don't think I'll ever forget some of those songs!

lepfan
06-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
When I was 16, I owned 7 different Jerry Jeff 8-tracks. I built a tape-holder to fit the transmission hump in my trucks' floorboard in shop class, and had to make it big enough for those 7 plus a "Kool and the Gang" tape.

But - alas - as time went on, the 8-tracks all broke, and none survived. I replaced "Viva Terlingua" twice, and "A Man Must Carry On" once on 8-track before I got smart enough to buy the album :nerd: .

Those tapes made a big impression on me as a kid, and I don't think I'll ever forget some of those songs! Awwwwwww, Kool and the Gang...I think I danced many a night to their music!!!!! LOL

3afan
06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
free show tomorrow at the stephenville city park - never seen him before, is he any good live ??

GO ........

3ABirdMan
06-26-2008, 09:07 AM

oops! I forgot the original question! :doh:

The only time I saw him live was in '82, I think, or maybe '83, at the Starlight Ballroom in Snook. (The Starlight Ballroom is another story on its' own!)

He did go by the nickname "Dr. Snowflake" for a while, and I think the concert I saw was during that period. Not a great concert, by any means, but I enjoyed it just because it was him and his music (and the beer WAS cold!). I understand he has cleaned up his life since the '80 's, and puts on good shows now.

One of the worst things about living on the East side of Texas is we miss SO MUCH good music, like this. Most of the headliners at the small clubs over here are Cajun! :hand:

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Saw him back in '89...no theatrics just good music.

I had an 8-track copy of Viva Terlingua when I was in elementary school.:cool:

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
a "Kool and the Gang" tape.

LOL..."get down on it..."

Phil C
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I haven't never seem him in person but enjoy his songs and music. I know some people who have seen him in person and they gave good reports on the entertainment. I think you are in for a treat.

nobogey72
06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Jerry Jeff Walker is cool. You will enjoy it.

"Just gettin' by on gettin' by is my stock and trade, livin' it day to day, pickin' up the pieces wherever they fall"

Good Stuff--------:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smoker:

wish I was going

3afan
06-27-2008, 06:07 AM
so how was it?

Old Tiger
06-27-2008, 06:10 AM
same thing here LepFan. it was a long time ago at Lomita Opry House in Victoria,, must have been early 80's... really don't remember much of that night either....... but I think we had a good time ;) Up Against the Wall, RedNeck Mothers :p ( think he sang that) well if ya don't remember it it has to be a god night! ;)

jason
06-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
so how was it? it was alright - he definitely played to the older crowd....

a few hours before the show, me and dave were walking up at the park and we got to watch his sound check, and then we got to chat for a minute afterwards with him...

btw...larry joe taylor opened for him - he plays too much 'island' music....

ASUFrisbeeStud
06-27-2008, 08:27 AM

I'm not gonna even read what anyone else said partly because I don't want to hear anything negative about JJW and because I'm too lazy thise morning.

I've seen him live, I loved him. I played his harmonica and told stories and it was a really good time. It wasn't rock your socks off kinda stuff but really cool.

Ranger Mom
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I played his harmonica and told stories and it was a really good time. It wasn't rock your socks off kinda stuff but really cool.

He let you play his harmonica?? :p What a stand up guy!!:clap: