PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Chacon suspended indefinitely by Astros

Maroon87
06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Chacon asks Astros for trade
Right-hander unhappy about move from rotation to bullpen
By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Astros right-hander Shawn Chacon, unhappy with being moved from the rotation to the bullpen, has informed the Astros he wants to be traded and has been suspended indefinitely.

"I am in the bullpen, unhappy about it," Chacon told KRIV-TV shortly before Houston's clubhouse was closed to the media Wednesday evening. "I don't agree with the decision and at this point I would say if they don't want me to start for them they should make it all good for both sides and trade me to a team that might need a starter because I am sure there are other teams that do.

"My agent and I have made it clear to the Astros that I would like to be traded and I don't want to pitch out of the bullpen. Nothing negative, nothing dramatic. It's simple. If you don't want me to start, let me go somewhere else to start because that's what I signed here for."

Chacon is 2-3 with a 5.04 ERA. He was 2-0 in May with a 4.75 ERA but is 0-3 since with an ERA of 9.35. He opened the season with a Major League-record nine consecutive no-decisions. Manager Cecil Cooper informed Chacon on Sunday that he was being moved to the bullpen.

Chacon, signed to a one-year, $2 million contract during Spring Training, told KRIV he would want his release if the Astros can't work out a trade.

"It wasn't too hard [a decision]," Chacon said. "It's simple. That's why I turned down other offers in the offseason to be in bullpens for more money to have a chance to be a starter."

Astros general manager Ed Wade was scheduled to meet with the media during Wednesday's game.

Jim Molony is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Maroon87
06-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Astros suspend pitcher Chacon indefinitely for insubordination
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon was suspended indefinitely by the team Wednesday for insubordination.

Houston general manager Ed Wade announced the move, but would not provide any other details. Chacon has been upset since being bumped from the rotation and moved into the bullpen on Sunday.

"He is suspended pending final resolution of whatever move we end up making with him," Wade said.

When asked if Chacon was disciplined because he physically accosted Wade, the GM said: "I'm not getting into any details of anything beyond what I just said. It is an internal matter."

Wade did confirm that Chacon's agent called and requested a trade earlier this week but said "that has nothing to do with the events of today."

Chacon is 2-3 with a 5.04 ERA in 15 starts for Houston this year. The right-hander set a major league record with nine straight no-decisions to start the season.

Chacon signed a $2 million, one-year contract with Houston in February after spending 2007 with Pittsburgh. He split time as a starter and a reliever there and was 5-4 with a 3.94 ERA and one save in 64 appearances with the Pirates.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
"....and trade me to a team that might need a starter because I am sure there are other teams that do."

I laughed real hard here... if the astros don't think they need you right now, I doubt many teams think they need you...

zebrablue2
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I laughed real hard here... if the astros don't think they need you right now, I doubt many teams think they need you...

agreed. not a smart thing to do by chacon.

IHStangFan
06-25-2008, 09:55 PM
LOL....no kidding. I hear the South Dakota Prairie Dog League is looking for a few starting pitchers... :D

Bull Butter
06-25-2008, 10:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-astros-chaconsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

Astros suspend pitcher Shawn Chacon indefinitely
By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
46 minutes ago
HOUSTON (AP)—Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon was suspended indefinitely by the team Wednesday for insubordination after reportedly grabbing general manager Ed Wade by the neck and throwing him to the ground.

Chacon, upset after getting demoted to the bullpen over the weekend, told the Houston Chronicle this problem began when Wade saw him in the dining room before the game against Texas. Wade wanted to meet with Chacon in manager Cecil Cooper’s office, the pitcher said.

“I sat down to eat and Ed Wade came to me and very sternly said, ‘You need to come with me to the office,”’ Chacon said. “I said ‘for what?’ I said ‘I don’t want to go to the office with you and Cooper.’ And I said, ‘You can tell me whatever you got to tell me right here.’ He’s like, ‘Oh, you want me to tell you right here?’ And I said, ‘yeah.’ I’m not yelling. I’m calm.”

Chacon said things went downhill from there.

“He started yelling and cussing,” Chacon said of Wade, according to a story on the Chronicle’s Web site. “I’m sitting there and I said to him very calmly, ‘Ed, you need to stop yelling at me. Then I stood up and said, ‘You better stop yelling at me.’ I stood up. He continued and was basically yelling.”

Chacon said that after Wade told him he needed to “look in the mirror,” it got worse.

“So at that point I lost my cool and I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I jumped on top of him,” he said. “Words were exchanged.”

Chacon said players quickly came and separated the two. He recalled outfielder Reggie Abercrombie pulling him away from Wade.

Wade announced the move, but would not provide any other details. Chacon has been upset since being bumped from the rotation and moved into the bullpen on Sunday.

Chacon is 2-3 with a 5.04 ERA in 15 starts for Houston this year. The right-hander set a major league record with nine straight no-decisions to start the season.

“He is suspended pending final resolution of whatever move we end up making with him,” Wade said.

When asked if Chacon was disciplined because he physically accosted Wade, the GM said: “I’m not getting into any details of anything beyond what I just said. It is an internal matter.”

Wade did confirm that Chacon’s agent called and requested a trade earlier this week but said “that has nothing to do with the events of today.”

Chacon is now concerned that he might not pitch in the majors again.

“Maybe it shouldn’t have happened,” Chacon said. “But when you do those things and you’re yelling at somebody and you’re cussing you better know what type of person you’re dealing with. If there’s any regret, I just wish they had just let me alone. I wish they had left me alone,” he told the Chronicle.

Chacon signed a $2 million, one-year contract with Houston in February after spending 2007 with Pittsburgh. He split time as a starter and a reliever there and was 5-4 with a 3.94 ERA and one save in 64 appearances with the Pirates

Bull Butter
06-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

Chacon is now concerned that he might not pitch in the majors again.

Well...........when you grab your GM by the neck and physically attack him, other teams GMs may not be so eager to take a chance on you.

Oh, plus the fact that you can't get anyone out:eek:

The Ravens
06-26-2008, 04:17 AM
LOL Crazy Astros pitchers!

SWMustang
06-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Well...........when you grab your GM by the neck and physically attack him, other teams GMs may not be so eager to take a chance on you.

{X} True
{ } False

crzyjournalist03
06-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Don't be so sure...I bet the Yankees, Pirates, Mariners, Phillies, and Nationals would all have interest and be willing to put Chacon back into a rotation immediately.

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
If his whole attitude is "I came here to be a starter and that's it" then good riddance. Look how many times Biggio changed positions or took less money to help the team get better, and he's 1,000 times the ballplayer that Shawn Chacon will ever be on his best day.

Plus, if Bags and Bidge were still around, A) that incident probably wouldn't have happened, and B) if it had, they'd have been picking Chacon up with a Shop-Vac.

crzyjournalist03
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Who did Houston replace him with in the rotation by the way?

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Who did Houston replace him with in the rotation by the way?

Brian Moehler I think...:thinking:

Bull Butter
06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
The immortal Runelvys Hernandez will make a start Friday night

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 10:31 AM
The immortal Runelvys Hernandez will make a start Friday night

He's still in baseball? What, was Oil Can Boyd not available?

crzyjournalist03
06-26-2008, 10:39 AM
He's still in baseball? What, was Oil Can Boyd not available?

He actually just turned 30...and he was a big-time prospect before getting hurt with the Royals.

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 10:46 AM
He actually just turned 30...and he was a big-time prospect before getting hurt with the Royals.

Seems like he's been around forever...I'm probably getting him confused with someone else.:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
The Astros have placed Chacon on waivers. I'm betting somebody puts in a claim.

GreenMonster
06-26-2008, 05:12 PM
This guys new nickname, "Spree." In honor of Latrelle Spreewell the only other idiot on record for trying to choke out the coach or GM.

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Ken Rosenthal had an article on Foxsports.com criticizing Wade for his role in the situation. He no doubt shouldn't have been yelling at Chacon in front of other players but I'm sure that's far from the first time that's happened in a big league clubhouse.

Necks_Fan
06-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Ken Rosenthal had an article on Foxsports.com criticizing Wade for his role in the situation. He no doubt shouldn't have been yelling at Chacon in front of other players but I'm sure that's far from the first time that's happened in a big league clubhouse. GM Ed Wade gave Chacon the opportunity to have the discussion in Cooper's office, but Chacon said that Wade could say whatever he needed to right there.

Not really Wade's fault though if you ask me.

No reason for this to have happened.

Maroon87
06-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
GM Ed Wade gave Chacon the opportunity to have the discussion in Cooper's office, but Chacon said that Wade could say whatever he needed to right there.

I know. If Chacon goes to Cooper's office when he was told the first time, it could have been avoided. But he had to pull the "it's all about me" card...

JasperDog94
06-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This guys new nickname, "Spree." In honor of Latrelle Spreewell the only other idiot on record for trying to choke out the coach or GM. The biggest difference was that Spreewell could play.

crzyjournalist03
06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
GM Ed Wade gave Chacon the opportunity to have the discussion in Cooper's office, but Chacon said that Wade could say whatever he needed to right there.

But apparently Wade wouldn't say what he needed to say there...as far as I can tell, whatever Wade "needed" to tell Chacon never ended up getting said. Wade was apparently ticked off that Chacon said to just say it in public, and that's what the fight was about, at least from the accounts that I've read.

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
But apparently Wade wouldn't say what he needed to say there...as far as I can tell, whatever Wade "needed" to tell Chacon never ended up getting said. Wade was apparently ticked off that Chacon said to just say it in public, and that's what the fight was about, at least from the accounts that I've read. My guess is that he was telling Shawn that he would be demoted to AAA or cut. Shawn wanted to hear it there and Wade wanted to speak in private.

Also, the whole Chacon throwing his own bullpen session the other day without being told to got Coop and Wade ruffled. That sent the message right there.

crzyjournalist03
06-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Also, the whole Chacon throwing his own bullpen session the other day without being told to got Coop and Wade ruffled. That sent the message right there.

That's probably true.

But if they were going to demote or release him, then this entire deal is basically a non-event anyway because Chacon was going to be off the team regardless.

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 09:51 AM
But if they were going to demote or release him, then this entire deal is basically a non-event anyway because Chacon was going to be off the team regardless. Only because he did the bullpen thing.

If he had taken it like a man and done his job there, then everyone would have been happy. He may even have gotten his shot at the rotation again this year. Who knows?

The point is, he was sucking and they sent him to the bullpen. He got mad, threw a fit and wanted out. When Ed went to talk to him about it, he got aggressive.

Maroon87
06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
From what I've heard he had been asked to go to Cooper's office several times prior to being appraoched by Wade and had ignored those requests or flatly refused.

I just think someone in that clubhouse needs to step up and be a leader and send the message that that's not the way things are done here.

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
From what I've heard he had been asked to go to Cooper's office several times prior to being appraoched by Wade and had ignored those requests or flatly refused.

I just think someone in that clubhouse needs to step up and be a leader and send the message that that's not the way things are done here. Maybe someone did and it just get kept quiet. I don't think all that happened with everyone standing around and noone did anything. I have a feeling several players stepped in to help Wade and probably gave Chacon a good talking to.

ESPN said that there were several players in the room when that happened and I just don't think they would let that happen.

Maroon87
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
ESPN said that there were several players in the room when that happened and I just don't think they would let that happen.

The one name I heard that witnessed the whole thing was Mark Loretta and he's the one who stepped in to stop it, reportedly.

The Ravens
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
What about Ted Nugent?

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by The Ravens
What about Ted Nugent? :confused:

Maroon87
06-27-2008, 12:36 PM
:confused:

Nugent had a song called "Stranglehold." Get it?;)

Necks_Fan
06-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Nugent had a song called "Stranglehold." Get it?;) Ah, I knew he was a rockstar, but I just watch his hunting shows.

The Ravens
06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Sorry fellas, bad joke.

Maroon87
06-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Chacon's behavior reflected struggles
Right-hander became difficult as his numbers worsened
By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- When he reported to Spring Training in February, Shawn Chacon said all the right things and did everything expected of a player trying to make the team.
"I think there's been one season I've come in and had a guaranteed spot and that was a long time ago," Chacon said then. "I'm excited about the competition. I don't want anything handed to me. My main thing was wanting to start and I'm getting that opportunity here. Coop [Cecil Cooper] called me and explained the situation and said I had a pretty good opportunity to be in the mix for the last spot in the rotation. To me, that was better than what else was out there as far as starting."

Chacon won that rotation spot in Florida and pitched well when the season began in April. But when his season turned around in May, so did Chacon's behavior.

The situation deteriorated and came to a head on Wednesday when Chacon's altercation with Astros general manager Ed Wade led to the pitcher being placed on unconditional release waivers.

"We made it clear to the agent and in a subsequent conversations with Chacon that we were prepared to bring him to Spring Training and give him an opportunity to compete for a spot in our starting rotation," Wade said. "At no time did we give him any assurance that he would be inserted in the rotation for an entire season."

Wade admits Chacon opened the season with five solid starts, going 0-0 with a 2.45 ERA. But as Wade pointed out, from April 30 to June 19, a span of 10 starts, Chacon compiled a 2-3 record and an ERA of 6.66. In his last four starts his record was 0-3 with an ERA of 9.35.

That alone wouldn't have forced the Astros to seek his release without seeking other remedies first. But Chacon's actions forced their hand.

On June 1 against the Brewers in Milwaukee during a rough first inning, pitching coach Dewey Robinson went out to the mound to settle Chacon down. Chacon turned his back on Robinson and refused to acknowledge his presence. When the inning ended Chacon went into the clubhouse and Cooper went after him.

"He was totally disrespectful to my pitching coach, and when I went to try and calm him down he was disrespectful to me," Cooper said Thursday.

Cooper fined Chacon for that incident.

On Sunday in St. Petersburg, Fla., Cooper met with Chacon in his office and informed him that he was being moved from the rotation to the bullpen.

"I was not present at at that meeting, but was in the clubhouse both pregame and postgame," Wade said. "The player made no effort to speak with me and gave short, profane responses to media questions regarding his removal from the rotation."

Chacon then tried to get the Astros to trade him, first by having his agent call Astros assistant general manager David Gottfried to request a trade. When that didn't get the desired results, Chacon voiced his desire to get out of town to a Houston television station.

That convinced Wade that it was time to meet with Chacon, which led to Wednesday's altercation in the clubhouse.

Why Chacon would be willing to walk away from a $2 million contract simply because he was being asked to relieve instead of start only Chacon knows. He has not returned several messages left for him by MLB.com and by text referred questions to his agent.

"As this process unfolds over the coming weeks there will be more facts that are revealed which will shed a little bit more light on the situation and the event that took place," the agent, Dan Horwits said. "In Shawn's case it's not to say that physical confrontation was appropriate, it certainly wasn't. Shawn understands that."

Jim Molony is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.