PDA

View Full Version : The Journal's Top 10 Athletes

jimmyceatworld
06-25-2008, 08:25 PM
My older bro was telling me about Wall Street Journal's rankings of the best athletes in the world. Very interesting:

1. Roman Sebrle - decathlete
2. LeBron James - basketball
3. Floyd Mayweather - boxer
4. LaDainian Tomlinson - football
5. Roger Federer - tennis
6. Sidney Crosby - hockey
7. Liu Xiang - 110 meter hurdler
8. Jeremy Wariner - 400 meter sprinter
9. Ronaldo de Assis Moreira - soccer
10. Alex Rodriquez - baseball

Let the discussion begin

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-GREATEST08.html

Old Tiger
06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
not very good....here is mine....

1. Tiger Woods - Golf
2. Roger Federer - Tennis
3. Cristiano Ronaldo - Soccer
4. Kobe Bryan - Basketball
5. LaDainian Tomlinson - Football
6. Alex Rodriguez - Baseball
7. Roman Sebrle - Decathlete
8. Sidney Crosby - Hockey
9. LeBron James - Basketball
10. Manny Ramirez - Baseball

super1
06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
As a matter of fact, today on WOAI, the afternoon talk show had some guest hosts and they were talking about the top 10 current athletes that they would put on a Pro Athlete Walk of Fame.

Their list included:
Tiger Wood
Koby Bryant
Tim Duncan
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Roger Federer
Ken Griffey Jr.
Alex Rodriguez
Greg Maddux
???

I can't remember who else they listed.

jimmyceatworld
06-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
not very good....here is mine....

1. Tiger Woods - Golf
2. Roger Federer - Tennis
3. Cristiano Ronaldo - Soccer
4. Kobe Bryan - Basketball
5. LaDainian Tomlinson - Football
6. Alex Rodriguez - Baseball
7. Roman Sebrle - Decathlete
8. Sidney Crosby - Hockey
9. LeBron James - Basketball
10. Manny Ramirez - Baseball

They used a certain criteria for their selections.

Manny Ramirez, really?

Old Tiger
06-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
They used a certain criteria for their selections.

Manny Ramirez, really?

His #'s are on par with A-Rods

sahen
06-25-2008, 08:47 PM
sweet, Wall Street Journal's top 10 athletes in the world...can't wait for SI's top 10 stocks of 2008 issue!

i dont know what the WSJ is doing in the realm of sports but I do like the Baylor athlete in the number 8 spot and i think he deserves a top 10 spot, he is supposed to come close to/break Michael Johnson's 400m record in Beijing this year...we will see if it happens...

shocked Michael Phelps is not in there, i think he is worthy of a top 10 spot as well...

jimmyceatworld
06-25-2008, 08:58 PM

I think there are a couple of better candidates. One that comes to mind right now is Albert Pujols.

jimmyceatworld
06-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by sahen
sweet, Wall Street Journal's top 10 athletes in the world...can't wait for SI's top 10 stocks of 2008 issue!

They used a panel of 5 judges to determine the rankings. None of them had any relation to the Wall Stree Journal.

sahen
06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
They used a panel of 5 judges to determine the rankings. None of them having any relation to the Wall Stree Journal.

still, its kinda funny that it is in the WSJ, they arent exactly known for their sports....

jimmyceatworld
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sahen
still, its kinda funny that it is in the WSJ....

I've never read it to be honest, but yeah, it does sound kind of ironic.

eagles_victory
06-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Floyd Mayweather may be one of the most underrated athletes of our generation just because boxing has decreased in popularity.

jimmyceatworld
06-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Floyd Mayweather may be one of the most underrated athletes of our generation just because boxing has decreased in popularity.

boxing's decrease in popularity probably has a lot to do with the rise of UFC

sahen
06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
boxing's decrease in popularity probably has a lot to do with the rise of UFC

boxing was dying long before UFC was in existence....the UFC is just another dagger, whether that is in the heart of boxing or not remains to be seen...

buff4life
06-25-2008, 11:37 PM

ya but they are saying best ATHLETE...not best numbers...manny isnt much of an athlete

Phil C
06-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Me thinks they need to limit themselves to finances instead of sports. :)

BreckTxLonghorn
06-26-2008, 09:35 AM

He's also been in the league for 3 more years, and plays an easier position in the field and has zero gold gloves, as compared to A-Rod's 2.

They're both great players, but there's more to the story on athleticism than just comparable numbers.

TexanAlum_06
06-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I think there are a couple of better candidates. One that comes to mind right now is Albert Pujols.

Albert Pujols????? if you are going to mention pujols for the list then Lance Berkman would be ahead of him..... He's more athletic AND has better numbers this year.....

pirate4state
06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Albert Pujols????? if you are going to mention pujols for the list then Lance Berkman would be ahead of him..... He's more athletic AND has better numbers this year..... Plus he's better looking. :D LOL

sahen - thanks for the laugh

sweet, Wall Street Journal's top 10 athletes in the world...can't wait for SI's top 10 stocks of 2008 issue! :clap: :clap:

jimmyceatworld
06-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Albert Pujols????? if you are going to mention pujols for the list then Lance Berkman would be ahead of him..... He's more athletic AND has better numbers this year.....

I wasn't really mentioning him for the list. I was just saying that I wouldn't put Manny on mine and also said that there are a lot of players that are just as good or even better than Manny IMO.

And I don't see how you can say Berkman is better than Pujols. He has played fewer seasons, but has more all-star appearances and home runs, and a much better batting average. He also has a gold glove AND a NL MVP award.

Old Tiger
06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
He's also been in the league for 3 more years, and plays an easier position in the field and has zero gold gloves, as compared to A-Rod's 2.

They're both great players, but there's more to the story on athleticism than just comparable numbers. 1 more year ;)

Maybe I just like Manny's attitude okay? :D

cshscougar08
06-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
ya but they are saying best ATHLETE...not best numbers...manny isnt much of an athlete

I wouldn't say A-Rod is either. I wouldn't say ANY baseball player is a better athlete than a lot of others. Baseball does not require a ton of athletic ability. Now I love baseball, don't get me wrong, but baseball players stand on a field for a few minutes, sprint every now and then to make a play, and then go sit in the dugout. Compare that to a basketball player who really never stops running, or a soccer player who literally runs about 7-8 miles in a game, or a hockey player who is literally moving the entire time they are on the ice. It's not even close to a comparison. No baseball player should be on that list of top 10 athletes. No way no how.

BwdLions
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I think Tiger Woods is obviously the best golfer, but one of the best athletes? I personally don't think so.

jimmyceatworld
06-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I wouldn't say A-Rod is either. I wouldn't say ANY baseball player is a better athlete than a lot of others. Baseball does not require a ton of athletic ability. Now I love baseball, don't get me wrong, but baseball players stand on a field for a few minutes, sprint every now and then to make a play, and then go sit in the dugout. Compare that to a basketball player who really never stops running, or a soccer player who literally runs about 7-8 miles in a game, or a hockey player who is literally moving the entire time they are on the ice. It's not even close to a comparison. No baseball player should be on that list of top 10 athletes. No way no how.

The judges said they almost didn't put a baseball player on the list because the nation's pastime has too much standing around.

Old Tiger
06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I think Tiger Woods is obviously the best golfer, but one of the best athletes? I personally don't think so. He's had 4 knee surgeries....he's an athlete