PDA

View Full Version : Something else that is "bothersome"

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
When people use a word, but it is not in the right context.

I have a friend who was talking about someone in jail being moved somewhere else....she kept saying, "They are going to expedite him to Odessa!"

Every time she said "expedite" rather than "extradite," I thought of a UPS or Fed-Ex package.

She says something else that bugs me, but I can't remember what it is right off hand....I will get back to y'all!!!!:D :D

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Okay.....I remembered it, but upon further investigation, maybe I am being too harsh, it may actually be a word!!!:eek: :eek:

She called me one time and was dizzy....she said she felt "disorientated"......(which I didn't know was even a word).....I would have said "disoriented"!!

So....I will just shut up now!:D

Now....you really didn't think I was serious!!!

Did ya?????:D :D

For reals????:p :p

I'm feeling ornery today!:devil:

DU_stud04
06-25-2008, 03:34 PM
there is this one guy that used to sit behind me in class.... he used to use touche whenever he could. it was never right though,....he would say something witty and then look around and say, "can i get a touche?!?" everyone would laugh at him, but i guess he thought we were laughing with him.

we started doing that outside of class as a joke..... it gave us a good laugh once or twice

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
there is this one guy that used to sit behind me in class.... he used to use touche whenever he could. it was never right though,....he would say something witty and then look around and say, "can i get a touche?!?" everyone would laugh at him, but i guess he thought we were laughing with him.

we started doing that outside of class as a joke..... it gave us a good laugh once or twice

I think maybe we have had this type of thread before, I remember that story now.

It made me laugh as hard this time as the first time I read it!!!!:D :D

Necks_Fan
06-25-2008, 03:36 PM
There's a store in Brazoria that says "We Sale Palm Trees."

I want to punch the person who designed the sign.

Also, when people use the wrong "they're, there, or their," that bugs me too.

DU_stud04
06-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think maybe we have had this type of thread before, I remember that story now.

It made me laugh as hard this time as the first time I read it!!!!:D :D yea, i felt i had typed that story up once before as well..... oh well :D

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

It made me laugh as hard this time as the first time I read it!!!!:D :D

That reminds me of a picture in Midland that I wanted to take.

Me and my daughter in law were just driving around one day looking for a house that had a dirtbike for sale and ended up on the seedier side of town.

We came across this old abandon convenience store and the hand painted sign on it said, "Coroner Store!!":eek: :eek:

waterboy
06-25-2008, 03:44 PM
eppy, send us a picture of the "grammar police", please!:D

In all seriousness, it does bug me just a little when people use words out of context. I try not to be too critical about it though. Sometimes, at least in print, it's just overlooked. Maybe they should proofread first, huh?:nerd:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
eppy, send us a picture of the "grammar police", please!:D

In all seriousness, it does bug me just a little when people use words out of context. I try not to be too critical about it though. Sometimes, at least in print, it's just overlooked. Maybe they should proofread first, huh?:nerd:

I can handle it in print more than I can someone just saying it!!:)

Like this one??

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/RxRenesis8/Grammar-Police.png

I probably get on people's nerves because I say, "I can't hardly wait," rather than "I can hardly wait."

P4S assured me that is a West Texas thing though, so I am gonna go with that!!:)

waterboy
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
That reminds me of a picture in Midland that I wanted to take.

Me and my daughter-in-law were just driving around one day looking for a house that had a dirtbike for sale and ended up on the seedier side of town.

We came across this old abandoned convenience store and the hand-painted sign on it said, "Coroner Store!!":eek: :eek:
Don't worry Ranger Mom, I got your back! I proof-read your last post and corrected it for ya!:nerd: :D

Oops! I then had to go back and edit my own post!

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Don't worry Ranger Mom, I got your back! I proof-read your last post and corrected it for ya!:nerd: :D

Oops! I then had to go back and edit my own post!

You corrected it??

Did someone give you mod powers and not tell me??:thinking:

RedWhiteBlue
06-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I hate to say this about my mother-in-law (because I really do lover her), but just now in an email- she wrote, 'can't wait to see you'll'. And she does it all the time and it drives me insane!!!
Also, I worked for the Texas Youth Commission...... long before the big messes and no, I left on very good terms. But, it used to crack me up how the boys would try to use extra long or complicated sounding words to make themselves appear smarter or more educated. It was hilarious. We (the people in the office) would use them later on in conversation and just crack up. Now, what is sad..... I have parents of my probation kids doing the same things.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I hate to say this about my mother-in-law (because I really do lover her), but just now in an email- she wrote, 'can't wait to see you'll'. And she does it all the time and it drives me insane!!!
Also, I worked for the Texas Youth Commission...... long before the big messes and no, I left on very good terms. But, it used to crack me up how the boys would try to use extra long or complicated sounding words to make themselves appear smarter or more educated. It was hilarious. We (the people in the office) would use them later on in conversation and just crack up. Now, what is sad..... I have parents of my probation kids doing the same things.

You really do "lover" her??:thinking:

waterboy
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
You corrected it??

Did someone give you mod powers and not tell me??:thinking:
Yeah! You didn't know?:D

No, silly! I corrected you when I quoted you in my reply. Surely you noticed?:eek:

JasperDog94
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I probably get on people's nerves because I say, "I can't hardly wait," rather than "I can hardly wait."
One that gets on my nerves is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

Necks_Fan
06-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Also, I worked for the Texas Youth Commission...... long before the big messes and no, I left on very good terms. But, it used to crack me up how the boys would try to use extra long or complicated sounding words to make themselves appear smarter or more educated. It was hilarious. We (the people in the office) would use them later on in conversation and just crack up. Now, what is sad..... I have parents of my probation kids doing the same things. Could "you'll" be a contraction for "you all"?

If so, she may be right and you may be wrong, but I don't know if that is a real contraction or not.

I know it can stand for "you will" but maybe, just maybe, it could stand for "you all."

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
One that gets on my nerves is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less."

Hahahaha.....I was just thinking about that and I think I would say, "I could care less!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

SWMustang
06-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I had a co-worker who on occassion would get "moot" and "mute" confused

As in: that's a mute point. The point can't talk? :confused:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Could "you'll" be a contraction for "you all"?

If so, she may be right and you may be wrong, but I don't know if that is a real contraction or not.

I know it can stand for "you will" but maybe, just maybe, it could stand for "you all."

"You'll" stands for "you will"....but I am sure it was meant as "y'all in that email.

Necks_Fan
Yeah! You didn't know?:D

No, silly! I corrected you when I quoted you in my reply. Surely you noticed?:eek: ".....Old abandon convenience....." versus ".....old abandoned convenience...."

:thinking: ?

I think you've been had RM.

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Depends

If I could not care less..Well means I cannot care less about it

I could care less..Can be literal..I really could care less about something..or with sarcasm, Like I could care less about your situation

waterboy
06-25-2008, 04:04 PM

I think the correct contraction for the words "you all" is y'all. That's the way I've always used it. "You'll" is a contraction for "you will". At least that's the way I've always seen it.:nerd:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
".....Old abanden convenience....." versus ".....old abandoned convenience...."

That wasn't using a word in the wrong context......that was just screwing up entirely!!

But.....I didn't spell it like you did, at least I got the spelling correct, just forgot to make it past tense!!!:tongue: :tongue:

Nice edit, by the way....but you still weren't quick enough!!:)

Necks_Fan
06-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Depends

If I could not care less..Well means I cannot care less about it

I could care less..Can be literal..I really could care less about something..or with sarcasm, Like I could care less about your situation It seems that if you are trying to downplay the significance of the situation, then you would use "I couldn't care less," meaning it is at the bottom of all of your priorities. Saying "I could care less" would mean that you do actually care some, thereby losing the entire point of saying "You could care less."

?

*I think I just confused myself.

Txbroadcaster
06-25-2008, 04:07 PM
It seems that if you are trying to downplay the significance of the situation, then you would use "I couldn't care less," meaning it is at the bottom of all of your priorities. Saying "I could care less" would mean that you do actually care some, thereby losing the entire point of saying "You could care less."

?

*I think I just confused myself.

Unless you meant it literally, I REALLY could care less about something besides your situation

Necks_Fan
06-25-2008, 04:07 PM
That wasn't using a word in the wrong context......that was just screwing up entirely!!

But.....I didn't spell it like you did, at least I got the spelling correct, just forgot to make it past tense!!!:tongue: :tongue:

Nice edit, by the way....but you still weren't quick enough!!:) Yea, I screwed up on the spelling. TYPO. I tried to fix it before someone quoted me but to no avail.

Necks_Fan
06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Unless you meant it literally, I REALLY could care less about something besides your situation I don't think I understand what you are trying to say. Why say it that way is what I'm wondering. But, who knows?

Txbroadcaster
06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't think I understand what you are trying to say. Why say it that way is what I'm wondering. But, who knows?

LOL because I was just having fun with the wording

Necks_Fan
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
LOL because I was just having fun with the wording Ah, you sent my brain into an overload trying to figure out what in the crap you meant.

:mad: :D

SWMustang
06-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Unless you meant it literally, I REALLY could care less about something besides your situation

That's another thing - using the word literally. Another co-worker of mine would be having a hard day at work and would say "Man, I'm getting my head kicked in today - LITERALLY!"

waterboy
06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
".....Old abandon convenience....." versus ".....old abandoned convenience...."

Yeah, I got her alright! Don't forget the added dashes! "daughter-in-law" and "hand-painted":nerd: :D

RedWhiteBlue
06-25-2008, 04:20 PM
So, there you go RM (I messed that one up!!!LOL)- no, I love her- not lover!!!!!!
What about when someone says, "same difference"? Does that make any sense? It doesn't to me....

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I got her alright! Don't forget the added dashes! "daughter-in-law" and "hand-painted":nerd: :D

Y'all have lost the entire concept of this thread!!!

This isn't about typo's or grammar....it is about using one word that is sounds close to another word, but has a completely different meaning!!!

Capiche??

garciap77
06-25-2008, 04:30 PM

This isn't about typo's or grammar....it is about using one word that is sounds close to another word, but has a completely different meaning!!!

Capiche??

Si! :eek: :eek: :eek:;)

crzyjournalist03
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM

Capiche??

yep...I quiche.

Necks_Fan
06-25-2008, 04:32 PM

Capiche?? Yea, but you know as well as I do that threads never stay on track.

Get with the program RM.

:)

waterboy
06-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Capiche??
What the.......:confused: ? Mom, take another pill, please!:D I was just picking on ya!:kiss:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Yea, but you know as well as I do that threads never stay on track.

Get with the program RM.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RedWhiteBlue
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM

Capiche??
I'm sorry I don't understand that word. Can BBDE come and define it for me and tell me what it wrong with saying it or believing it exists. WHOOPS- did I say that?
What time is it anyway?:eek:

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
this may not be "exactly" what you're referring to, K, but I have to tell it...

we have this one friend that just goes on about totally nothing when he is drunk and/or (okay, usually and) has a hard time explaining himself when drunk (wait, might be all of us, but this guy is just above the rest)...

He dropped a gem on us one night, we laughed and laughed... talk about out of context, when trying to say "she was all nonchalant about it" be busts out with:

"she was all non-Deja Vu about it..."

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I want to punch the person who designed the sign.

Are anger management courses offered at the college you'll be attending? :doh: :doh:

zebrablue2
06-25-2008, 05:28 PM

OOP'S-zee--daisy..:D

RedWhiteBlue
06-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

we have this one friend that just goes on about totally nothing when he is drunk and/or (okay, usually and) has a hard time explaining himself when drunk (wait, might be all of us, but this guy is just above the rest)...

He dropped a gem on us one night, we laughed and laughed... talk about out of context, when trying to say "she was all nonchalant about it" be busts out with:

OMG- it is so funny that you would say that..... this kid that I used to work with (in TYC) would always say, "it's all non-chalant", like he meant stuff didn't matter. That was one of the things that we used to crack up over. That was probably over 8 years ago and it still makes me laugh when I hear that word.

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM

:spitlol: :spitlol:

Thanks D ... I needed a laugh after reading some of the other nonsense posted today. :rolleyes:

eppy 12
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I can handle it in print more than I can someone just saying it!!:)

Like this one??

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/RxRenesis8/Grammar-Police.png

P4S assured me that is a West Texas thing though, so I am gonna go with that!!:)

thanks mom i don't have one.......but i just love yours:clap: :clap:

sinton66
06-25-2008, 07:15 PM

You're from Texas, right???? The contraction for "you all" is yall.;)

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

Gawd!! When people say "you all" instead of y'all, it just drives me nuts!!!

You can tell they are nothing but a "wannabe" Texan too.....and I can't say I really blame them!!

:D

Old Tiger
06-25-2008, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sinton66
[B]You're from Texas, right???? The contraction for "you all" is yall.;)

Gawd!! When people say "you all" instead of y'all, it just drives me nuts!!!

You can tell they are nothing but a "wannabe" Texan too.....and I can't say I really blame them!!

:D when we were in padre my homeboy and me were talking to a girl and she said "you guyses"

I don't know if that's how its spelled or what but it was weird to us.

Then we met some girls from Kentucky who had a completely different language

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
when we were in padre my homeboy and me were talking to a girl and she said "you guyses"

I don't know if that's how its spelled or what but it was weird to us.

Then we met some girls from Kentucky who had a completely different language

I have cousins in Indiana who say, "Yous guys" and instead of saying, "It's yours" they say "it's yourn" and it sounds like they are saying, "it's urine".......weirdos!!

I just realized when I say "y'all" (yes, I am sitting here talking to myself) it sounds more like Yaw then y'all.....I really need to not talk so fast...but when I slow down, my Texas twang REALLY comes out!!

CHS_CG
06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I can not stand when people are like "thats fierce" and its totally in the wrong context...

There was a guy( who actually won) on project runway last season and he was like "hello, I am only 21 and I am going to Fashion Week in New York... THATS FIERCE!"

He would use that phrase every episode atleast once and it made me wanna claw his eyeballs out!

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I can not stand when people are like "thats fierce" and its totally in the wrong context...

There was a guy( who actually won) on project runway last season and he was like "hello, I am only 21 and I am going to Fashion Week in New York... THATS FIERCE!"

He would use that phrase every episode atleast once and it made me wanna claw his eyeballs out!

THAT'S FIERCE!!!

Maroon87
06-25-2008, 08:45 PM

That's what you get for watching a crappy show like Project Runway...:p ;)

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
THAT'S FIERCE!!!

Remember when all those Cuero boys always said, "CRUCIAL!!"

Maybe others did too, but they were the only ones I ever heard say it,

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That's what you get for watching a crappy show like Project Runway...:p ;)

that's crucial... crucially fierce...

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 08:54 PM
"those Cuero boys"????????

was that the annoying posters, like flourhead etc...?

read in the paper today that his grandmother died... much condolences

CHS_CG
06-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Remember when all those Cuero boys always said, "CRUCIAL!!"

Maybe others did too, but they were the only ones I ever heard say it,

Remember those shirts that Hoover had that said "JEALOUS"

Those annoyed you to no end!

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Remember those shirts that Hoover had that said "JEALOUS"

Those annoyed you to no end!

who would be jealous of sucking?

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 09:20 PM
"those Cuero boys"????????

was that the annoying posters, like flourhead etc...?

read in the paper today that his grandmother died... much condolences

It was mainly Gobbler84 and Were Back!!

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranger Mom

oh ha...

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranger Mom

oh ha...

that's fierce

and funny

considering our chat conference :devil:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
that's fierce

and funny

considering our chat conference :devil:

YEah.....and it's ............never mind!!:D

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 09:31 PM
YEah.....and it's ............never mind!!:D
:evillol: :evillol:

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
who would be jealous of sucking?

nm, I have been informed by someone much smarter and dirtier than I as to who would be jealous of sucking... :D

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
nm, I have been informed by someone much smarter and dirtier than I as to who would be jealous of sucking... :D thats fierce

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 09:36 PM
thats fierce

yet so crucial

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2008, 09:38 PM
yet so crucial
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

CHS_CG
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
nm, I have been informed by someone much smarter and dirtier than I as to who would be jealous of sucking... :D

:confused: :thinking: :inlove:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
I guess I can't complain about the hijacking of the thread....since it's my thread!!

It is hot in here!!

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
:confused: :thinking: :inlove:

A - W... AWWWWW

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I guess I can't complain about the hijacking of the thread....since it's my thread!!

It is hot in here!!

you should probably get something wet.....

to drink :D

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 09:59 PM

I think I will!!;)

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2008, 10:00 PM

It will help lubricate your throat, which is crucial when you're parched. :)

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I think I will!!;) blitz attack? :thinking:

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
wowness...

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 10:03 PM
wowness...

You don't know the half of it!!:D

Gobbla2001
06-25-2008, 10:06 PM
just half? ...

wait, I will stop there :doh:

44INAROW
06-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
swear to goodness - my sister in law spells it YAWL -

Nursebetty
06-26-2008, 07:52 AM

crzyjournalist03
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
That's hot.

rangerjim
06-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Had a friend back home who was a master at butchering the english language.

His girlfriend had fish in her "aquarius"

She was also going to school to be a beautician at the school of "cosmopolitan (cosmotology)"

and he was fixing up his car one time and told me to meet him in the back yard where he was "resembling" his car!

That was 20 years ago - never will forget.......

pirate4state
06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by rangerjim
Had a friend back home who was a master at butchering the english language.

His girlfriend had fish in her "aquarius"

She was also going to school to be a beautician at the school of "cosmopolitan (cosmotology)"

and he was fixing up his car one time and told me to meet him in the back yard where he was "resembling" his car!

That was 20 years ago - never will forget.......

:clap: :clap: HAHAHAHA

AP Panther Fan
06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
My kids have said some pretty funny things over the years....

My 15 yr old told me once that she wanted me to pick up some of that Stives lotion....took me forever to figure out she was talking about St. Ives.

My youngest after school one day said she was starving because all she had eaten that day was a sandwich and a "pent" of milk....this one still cracks me up.:D

jason
06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
i remember once in the chat room and a bunch of the moms were talking about kids forming groups in high school and referring to them as 'clicks' and after about the 38th time, i finally had to tell you all it was 'clique'...