PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite stretch of Beach to go to in Texas?

Nursebetty
06-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Just curious to find out what beach anyone likes to go to if they like to vacation at the beach. As for my family and I we love to go to Port Aransas!

Old Tiger
06-24-2008, 10:54 PM
SPI during spring break....full throttle beach is fun:D :clap: :clap: :D :cool: :cool:

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
My husband and I were thinking about going to Ruidoso in July, but then we decided we might like to go to the coast instead. What is a good one for tourists from W. Texas?? The only coast I have ever even seen in Texas is at Galveston about 30 years ago!!

Nursebetty
06-24-2008, 11:00 PM
We enjoy going to Port Aransas.........we stay there for a week in a nice condo........just enjoying the beach.......site see........and great places to eat delicious seafood!!!!!!!!!!

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Nursebetty
We enjoy going to Port Aransas.........we stay there for a week in a nice condo........just enjoying the beach.......site see........and great places to eat delicious seafood!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds like fun.....I wonder how long of a drive that is? It took me 7.5 hrs to drive to Cuero! Considering the nice cool mountains of Ruidoso are only a 5 hour drive, he may decide to do that if it takes us TOO long to get to the ocean!!!

Maroon87
06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Mustang Island or the National Seashore. Port A is cool too.

Nursebetty
06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
From Cuero, it takes us about 1hr and 45m - 2hrs.....not too bad for us........for you........Ranger Mom..........that's a long time to have to drive!

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 11:16 PM
From Cuero, it takes us about 1hr and 45m - 2hrs.....not too bad for us........for you........Ranger Mom..........that's a long time to have to drive!

Hmmm......approx 10 hours to drive to the humid hot coast VS. 5 hours to the nice cool mountains.......I have a decision to make!!!!

GreenMonster
06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Hmmm......approx 10 hours to drive to the humid hot coast VS. 5 hours to the nice cool mountains.......I have a decision to make!!!! I'm going to Ruidoso in late July. I think we will be there the 26th, 27th, 28th, and coming home the 29th. Staying in a condo at Innsbrook Village. I can't wait for the 40 to 50 degree mornings. It's so nice to just sit out on the patio with a hot cup of coffee and just relax!

SWMustang
06-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'm going to Ruidoso in late July. I think we will be there the 26th, 27th, 28th, and coming home the 29th. Staying in a condo at Innsbrook Village. I can't wait for the 40 to 50 degree mornings. It's so nice to just sit out on the patio with a hot cup of coffee and just relax!

I was there in 2000. It's very wooded - obviously lots of elevation changes. It was so dry, it was against the law to smoke outside. It's the crown jewel of New Mexico. The rest of that God forbidden state sucks.

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'm going to Ruidoso in late July. I think we will be there the 26th, 27th, 28th, and coming home the 29th. Staying in a condo at Innsbrook Village. I can't wait for the 40 to 50 degree mornings. It's so nice to just sit out on the patio with a hot cup of coffee and just relax!

If we go, we are going the week before that. I WANT to rent a rustic cabin, but if we don't hurry up and decide, we are gonna be sleeping in a tent!!!!
:eek:

SWMustang
06-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
SPI during spring break....full throttle beach is fun:D :clap: :clap: :D :cool: :cool:

Me and another family rented a beach house there in August for a week. I've never been to SPI. Really looking forward to taking my kids there.

GreenMonster
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
If we go, we are going the week before that. I WANT to rent a rustic cabin, but if we don't hurry up and decide, we are gonna be sleeping in a tent!!!!
:eek: I'd pick it over the beach any day. I get enough sunshine and sand here thanks to Lubbock blowing in on the southwesterly winds. I'm ready for some COLD! (And the horse races are fun too!)

orange machine
06-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Go to mustang island and stay at the Port Royal. We had a condo there for 5 years and its great. They have the biggest swimming pool in Texas. Here is some info.
500 ft. Royal Blue Lagoon Swimming Pool with a Cabana Bar & Grill (seasonal hours), Four Heated Whirlpool Spas and "Double Surfin' Slide" *

*(Slide/pool open weather permitting. For your safety, sliders must be at least 48" tall & may not use any flotation devices).
the pool.

Go to this web site
http://www.port-royal.com/Amenities.html

This is a great place to go

hookandladder
06-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Hmmm......approx 10 hours to drive to the humid hot coast VS. 5 hours to the nice cool mountains.......I have a decision to make!!!!

As for as the nices beach area and water color, I would recommend South Padre Island. You could fly down for what it would cost you in gas. Port A beaches are not near as nice, they allow you to drive on the beach and Padre does not wish I think is safer and keeps the beach in better shape. Just my 2 cents.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I was there in 2000. It's very wooded - obviously lots of elevation changes. It was so dry, it was against the law to smoke outside. It's the crown jewel of New Mexico. The rest of that God forbidden state sucks.

There is a smoking ban in place right now too. A co-worker and her husband were there a couple of weeks ago, you were only allowed to smoke in your vehicle.

They went to a restaurant and then sat out in the parking lot across from a biker bar and watched all the drunks come out, light a cig, and get bombarded by police handing out $500 fines!!:p

Nursebetty
06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
As for as the nices beach area and water color, I would recommend South Padre Island. You could fly down for what it would cost you in gas. Port A beaches are not near as nice, they allow you to drive on the beach and Padre does not wish I think is safer and keeps the beach in better shape. Just my 2 cents. Well, thanks for your "2 cents"! I'm glad people are responding and giving ideas and opinions.....Never been to SPI, Port A is always our favorite!

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Hmmm......approx 10 hours to drive to the humid hot coast VS. 5 hours to the nice cool mountains.......I have a decision to make!!!! It takes me 7 hours to drive from Sinton to Stanton. Of course, I don't stop every 20 minutes for a pee break either! :p :p

Too bad APPF will be busy with camp in the late July or you could come hang out with us. She lives like a hop, skip & a jump from Port A and I'm 30 minutes away from her house. LOL

eppy 12
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
national seashore is cool, turtle releases in the early morning!:clap:

Maroon87
06-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Go to mustang island and stay at the Port Royal. We had a condo there for 5 years and its great. They have the biggest swimming pool in Texas. Here is some info.
500 ft. Royal Blue Lagoon Swimming Pool with a Cabana Bar & Grill (seasonal hours), Four Heated Whirlpool Spas and "Double Surfin' Slide" *

*(Slide/pool open weather permitting. For your safety, sliders must be at least 48" tall & may not use any flotation devices).
the pool.

Go to this web site
http://www.port-royal.com/Amenities.html

This is a great place to go

My friends and I had a condo there on graduation night. Let's just say that fun was had by all...:cool:

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
My friends and I had a condo there on graduation night. Let's just say that fun was had by all...:cool: Been to many a party at the Royal ... LOL .... good times :D

44INAROW
06-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Been to many a party at the Royal ... LOL .... good times :D
i was thinking the same thing....... wow - this one night........ nevermind I better leave well enough alone ;)

44INAROW
06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
My friends and I had a condo there on graduation night. Let's just say that fun was had by all...:cool:

do you remember the "La Mirage" I think it's closed down now.. but mercy me.... had a few good times there too.... :)

Maroon87
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
do you remember the "La Mirage" I think it's closed down now.. but mercy me.... had a few good times there too.... :)

I remember it but I never went there...at least not that I remember.:devil:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
It takes me 7 hours to drive from Sinton to Stanton. Of course, I don't stop every 20 minutes for a pee break either! :p :p

Too bad APPF will be busy with camp in the late July or you could come hang out with us. She lives like a hop, skip & a jump from Port A and I'm 30 minutes away from her house. LOL

Well you must remember, it WAS me and two teenage girls....we never all had to pee at the same time!!:D

That would be fun...I am sure that Jimmy would just LOVE hanging out with the 3 of us!!:p :p :p

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Well you must remember, it WAS me and two teenage girls....we never all had to pee at the same time!!:D

That would be fun...I am sure that Jimmy would just LOVE hanging out with the 3 of us!!:p :p :p

I bet we could find someone to hang out with Jimmy! hahaha ;)

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
I bet we could find someone to hang out with Jimmy! hahaha ;)

I guess you could drag Cousin Eddie with you!!:D

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
do you remember the "La Mirage" I think it's closed down now.. but mercy me.... had a few good times there too.... :) DUDE!!!! Flash back...for my 20th birthday (good gosh that was a long time ago :( ) we rented a condo on Mustang Island....what a mess!!! :D :D

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I guess you could drag Cousin Eddie with you!!:D Why not? LOL

Call to Cousin Eddie - Hey, I need you to come down here and entertain Ranger Mom's husband :eek: :eek: :D

Bull Butter
06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I can't believe Phil hasn't weighed in on this one.

I'm guessing his favorite beach is that one in front of the Radisson on South Padre Island (for some strange reason:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: )

Phil C
06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I like the beach at South Padre Island, Texas. They have a great beach, pleanty of beach entertainment and great restaurants and hotels. They have some good bands too. I like the Pelican West Band whose place is located just south of the Radisson Hotel.

sinton66
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I guess you could drag Cousin Eddie with you!!:D

Does Jimmy like to fish????

Phil C
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Regarding South Padre Island click on the link below and then click South Padre Island, TX to see a great video about it.

http://www.clubpelicanwest.com/

AP Panther Fan
06-25-2008, 03:01 PM
It takes me 7 hours to drive from Sinton to Stanton. Of course, I don't stop every 20 minutes for a pee break either! :p :p

AWESOME IDEA!

I am sending my daughter to camp in College Station then, but I will be home and on vacation.

:cool:

oh and I think y'all should stay at Port Royal so we have a really nice pool to hang out around....;)

buff4life
06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

AMEN TO THAT!!! :cool:

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Does Jimmy like to fish????

Oh heck no!!! (Thank GOD!!)

:D

87 TIGER
06-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Port Royal in Port A best place to relax and have a great vacation. We have stayed at many places over the years but Royal is the best , a little over priced but still the best.Great pool!!

Nursebetty
06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
The Mayan Princess in Port A is awesome!!!!! Very high priced during the summer, though. We usually stay at The Sandcastle Condominiums for a week and thoroughly enjoy our stay. Who can beat a boardwalk down to the beach, a swimming pool waiting for you on your way back, and a hot tub at night!:D

sinton66
06-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Port Royal in Port Aransas is the real deal. Great pool, great accomodations, great beach access, nice cafe, covered parking (you can't believe how important that is), nice folks. (Customer of mine too).

buff4life
06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
The Mayan Princess in Port A is awesome!!!!! Very high priced during the summer, though. We usually stay at The Sandcastle Condominiums for a week and thoroughly enjoy our stay. Who can beat a boardwalk down to the beach, a swimming pool waiting for you on your way back, and a hot tub at night!:D

we've stayed in condo 101 at Sandcastle for the last 18 years of my life

big daddy russ
06-25-2008, 11:31 PM
It's still there.

My two favorite condos in Port A are the Mayan Princess and Seagull. I used to bartend at the Cabana Bar at the Mayan (it was actually run by one of the local restaurants) and had quite a few wild times there. One of those wild times led me to meet my wife.

For someone who never gets to go, go to SPI. The farther south you go, the cleaner the water. For me, give me Mustang Island/North Padre. It's home.

DDBooger
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's still there.

My two favorite condos in Port A are the Mayan Princess and Seagull. I used to bartend at the Cabana Bar at the Mayan (it was actually run by one of the local restaurants) and had quite a few wild times there. One of those wild times led me to meet my wife.

For someone who never gets to go, go to SPI. The farther south you go, the cleaner the water. For me, give me Mustang Island/North Padre. It's home. me too, i miss home!

Nursebetty
06-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
we've stayed in condo 101 at Sandcastle for the last 18 years of my life

That's really cool! We've been going there for many years and there have only been a few times we didn't stay at the Sandcastle. I love the apartments.......and the view......WOW! I just love the convenience of the boardwalk down to the beach, nice pool and hottub.......it's a wonderful vacation destination!

STANG RED
06-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I love Mustang Island, and being able to drive on the beach. And theres enough good restaurants and other things to do over there, to where you never really have to leave the Island unless you just want to. But we like spending at least one day in Corpus as well when we go down there. I love walking around the USS Lexington and the aquarium.

Hate Galveston beach, but I do love Moody Gardens. That's really the only reason to ever go there, and thats just not enough of a good reason to make that long of a drive for me.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Y'all are making me all homesick!!! :( I haven't been down to Port Isabel / South Padre Island in months! I need to go again soon!

fungo
06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
La Mirage in Port Aransas is a great family vacation spot with 2 pools and 3 hot tubs. We enjoy going to the beach and into Port A to eat at the Crazy Cajun after going to Winton's candy store.

Nursebetty
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by fungo
La Mirage in Port Aransas is a great family vacation spot with 2 pools and 3 hot tubs. We enjoy going to the beach and into Port A to eat at the Crazy Cajun after going to Winton's candy store.

Hey, do you guys ever rent one of those electric buggies and go cruisin' down the beach? It's fun! We like to eat at Castaway's, and Virginia's on the Bay.