PDA

View Full Version : No fireworks for us!!

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 09:42 PM
I guess today was the first day fireworks could be sold....an emergency distaster declaration was made in Midland, Ector and Andrews counties to stop the sale of ALL fireworks, so no fireworks stands were able to open today.

This declaration is only good for 60 hours, but the declaration has been sent to Gov. Rick Perry....if he signs it, the declaration will stay in effect until midnight July 4th.

Local firework vendors are up in arms about it.

I'm just glad my kids are all grown up, it doesn't bother me one iota to have to not buy all those fireworks!!!

I guess that a drought of 575 is considered extreme....our drought index is at 700 right now!!

sahen
06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
they give droughts ratings? wow, learn something new every day...whats the scale?

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by sahen
they give droughts ratings? wow, learn something new every day...whats the scale?

Heck if I know....I just learned that on the news myself!:)

Chief Woodman
06-24-2008, 10:05 PM
The drought rating is linked to the fire warning rating i.e. red flag etc. I'll get some info from the Texas fire marshal and the state EMO to pass to you some time next week. Fire depts use the ratings to determine what resources might be needed statewide so they can be requested and pre staged. I know even our relatively large dept here in Ft. Worth uses them to determine extra staffing and call back lists. The costs for this pre staging is enormous, so acuracy is important. Yet if we didn't pre stage, the losses would be far worse in terms of monetary impact.

Gobbla2001
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
we're under redflag ourselves... but the firework stand was open... we can pop 'em in town here because we're not really a town, more like a community of 500 or so peeps...

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
The fires we have had around here have been crazy....I can't blame them for passing this!!

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
we're under redflag ourselves... but the firework stand was open... we can pop 'em in town here because we're not really a town, more like a community of 500 or so peeps...

Fireworks have been outlawed within the city limits ever since I have lived here....but we have always been able to pop them in the county!

Gobbla2001
06-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I kinda wished they couldn't pop 'em here... you'll hear nothing from sundown to about 2:30 AM, then all of the sudden it sounds like a war-zone out there...

but when the stands are open and people are poppin' little blackcats etc... we unleash the acetylene bombs...