PDA

View Full Version : Public Hangings

GreenMonster
06-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Do you think public hangings would go a long way towards detering murder? I think that if we (the USA) would go back to publicly carrying out death sentences there would be a lot less violent crime. It really brings home what the consequences to your murderous actions really are.

Gobbla2001
06-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Horrible idea... it has been proven that public hangings lead to global warming and higher gas prices...

I say we instead use those on death-row as lab-rats for stuff...

GreenMonster
06-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Horrible idea... it has been proven that public hangings lead to global warming and higher gas prices...

I say we instead use those on death-row as lab-rats for stuff... I like that idea too. :thinking: :clap:

JasperDog94
06-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

I say we instead use those on death-row as lab-rats for stuff... Gobbla...did you not get the memo? It is no longer global warming. The new term is "Climate Change" just in case the temperatures cool on us like they did this winter.:)

sahen
06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Gobbla...did you not get the memo? It is no longer global warming. The new term is "Climate Change" just in case the temperatures cool on us like they did this winter.:)

thats y they stopped talkin about global warming so much and switched to this climate change thing....i was wondering that....

on to the original question...i used to wouldve said yes, but i dunno...i mean they can do it, i could care less but i dont really wanna watch a man or woman die so i dont think i would watch it unless if they killed someone close to me...so i guess yes, but as long as we dont have to watch...

JasperDog94
06-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by sahen
on to the original question...i used to wouldve said yes, but i dunno...i mean they can do it, i could care less but i dont really wanna watch a man or woman die so i dont think i would watch it unless if they killed someone close to me...so i guess yes, but as long as we dont have to watch... In America the only things you "have" to do is pay taxes and die...and if you die with enough money, you have to pay taxes again.:doh: :doh: :doh:

sahen
06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
In America the only things you "have" to do is pay taxes and die...and if you die with enough money, you have to pay taxes again.:doh: :doh: :doh:

haha...this is true....well lets get some public executions!

why stop at hangings though...guillotene (maybe more humane than hanging, pretty much eliminates human error, but scarier in my mind), firing squads, etc...whats wrong w/ them (i think you can still pick to die by firing squad in deleware or connecticut or something, one ofthem NE states so i guess it isnt tech. illegal but its not public)....

mistanice
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Durkheim!

Crime is the price that the system pays in order to have the benefits of innovation. But if deviance is so useful to the system, why repress it at all? Durkheim replies that crime is something of a social equivalent to the biological phenomena of pain; it is necessary, but it is also detestable

any society in which the norms were rigorously followed, without exception, would be doomed in the long run, for the social organism must be capable of change, in order to meet changes in the environment - either internal or external. Space must be left for individuals and groups to innovate.

what is all this gibberish

zebrablue2
06-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Durkheim!

Crime is the price that the system pays in order to have the benefits of innovation. But if deviance is so useful to the system, why repress it at all? Durkheim replies that crime is something of a social equivalent to the biological phenomena of pain; it is necessary, but it is also detestable

any society in which the norms were rigorously followed, without exception, would be doomed in the long run, for the social organism must be capable of change, in order to meet changes in the environment - either internal or external. Space must be left for individuals and groups to innovate.

what is all this gibberish

:confused:

Gobbla2001
06-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Durkheim thinks/thought too much... needs/needed to get laid or something...

injuredinmelee
06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I will bring the popcorn.

LH Panther Mom
06-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Gobbla...did you not get the memo? It is no longer global warming. The new term is "Climate Change" just in case the temperatures cool on us like they did this winter.:)
:confused: :confused: Okay, now wait just a minute! I thought that climate was supposed to change to cooler/colder weather in the winter! :doh: :doh:

*Back on topic: I wouldn't voluntarily watch unless someone close to me had been affected, but I wouldn't have a problem with it happening, if the death penalty was handed down.

JasperDog94
06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:confused: :confused: Okay, now wait just a minute! I thought that climate was supposed to change to cooler/colder weather in the winter! :doh: :doh:
The temperatures this winter were cooler than a normal winter. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.;)

eppy 12
06-25-2008, 08:34 AM
i say yes, consider the hanging of saddam was one of the top viewed youtube clips in recent memory. how large of a deterent who knows but it'll hit home with some. i also favor utah's freedom of choice in death penalty, one may choose firing squad as gary gilmore did back in the 70's.:clap:

RedWhiteBlue
06-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Absolutely. But I think the punishment should FIT the crime. If a person kills another by drowning.... then he should be put to death by drowning. If a person kills another by shooting then he should die by getting shot, etc., etc. etc., etc. Seems fair to me.:thinking:

eppy 12
06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Absolutely. But I think the punishment should FIT the crime. If a person kills another by drowning.... then he should be put to death by drowning. If a person kills another by shooting then he should die by getting shot, etc., etc. etc., etc. Seems fair to me.:thinking: well yes, pretty far right but yes. can you imagine the field day the aclu would have with this? yet, they throw kavorkian in the pokey..:thinking:

espn1
06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I want to do away with the death penalty. Here is the plan I propose. If someone commits a murder then here's what should happen. Immediately after the trial they should go into surgery and have their arms and legs removed. After they have healed properly move them to a padded nothing but white cell. Prop them in a corner and make them drink thru a straw for the rest of their life. Also make them take vitamins so they can live a good long life. Put them on display so people can see what happens when you murder someone.
Also I believe they should have a break once a year. So during Halloween have the kids come in and throw water ballons at them.:D :D :D

eppy 12
06-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by espn1
I want to do away with the death penalty. Here is the plan I propose. If someone commits a murder then here's what should happen. Immediately after the trial they should go into surgery and have their arms and legs removed. After they have healed properly move them to a padded nothing but white cell. Prop them in a corner and make them drink thru a straw for the rest of their life. Also make them take vitamins so they can live a good long life. Put them on display so people can see what happens when you murder someone.
Also I believe they should have a break once a year. So during Halloween have the kids come in and throw water ballons at them.:D :D :D http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/ouch2.gif

RedWhiteBlue
06-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Also I believe they should have a break once a year. So during Halloween have the kids come in and throw water ballons at them.:D :D :D
Okay, I am laughing. You have had to actually think about this for a while. I thought I was harsh. I definitely want some of what you are smoking!!!!:smoker:

eppy 12
06-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Okay, I am laughing. You have had to actually think about this for a while. I thought I was harsh. I definitely want some of what you are smoking!!!!:smoker: http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/fatty.jpg;)

waterboy
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol: :fnypost: That's hilarious! And MEAN! I like it!:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
The reason that we have a system of appeals is that innocent people are actually committed of crimes that they don't forget. The Constitution protects everyone as American citizens from cruel and unusual punishment and this is in our Bill of Rights, and I for one am willing to protect and uphold that right regardless. I don't think that execution is cruel or unusual, but public hangings are and Supreme Court rulings and legal precedents have taken place that uphold this idea.

BwdLions
06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
That's the only way I'd be for halting the death penalty. If you could have someone live a life filled with misery (instead of living in a prison with rights and priviledges). That is if they've been convicted of committing a really cruel crime.

That's not going to happen in this country so we might as well quit talking about it. There are too many lawyers and liberals in America for something like that to happen.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions

That's not going to happen in this country so we might as well quit talking about it. There are too many lawyers and liberals in America for something like that to happen.

I want you to read my above post to combat and strengthen my point that liberals are for the protection and preservation of individual rights. I only hope that you are never in a situation where the left-wing nutjobs save you from a situation where you are convicted of a crime that you didn't commit and would have to face what you're advocating.

Incredible...