PDA

View Full Version : 7 on 7 Football

hookandladder
06-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Why do they have to do 7 on 7 during the earlier summer, this is still Baseball Season. Why can't they wait til August so the players would be ready for the season. I am not a football hater, my son plays football also but seems to me this would benefit your team going into the real season.

LH Panther Mom
06-24-2008, 09:09 AM
August is when 2-a-days start. IMO, that prepares a team a lot more for the "real" season than 7-7 does, in most cases.

BILLYFRED0000
06-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Why do they have to do 7 on 7 during the earlier summer, this is still Baseball Season. Why can't they wait til August so the players would be ready for the season. I am not a football hater, my son plays football also but seems to me this would benefit your team going into the real season.

If you qualify for the state tourney it comes right up against the start of 2 a days. So in essence, with spring workouts running into 7 on 7 running into 2 a days the game never stops. And while 7 on 7 is not an indicator of your team as a whole it does allow you to work on coverage skills on d and on decision making on offense for your qb plus it is all running which keeps up your conditioning. Celina plays a couple of teams in some tournaments
for the varsity so first and second string get lots of work. We looked good last night and won all the varsity stuff. I did not watch the 3 jv teams. had other stuff to do.

hookandladder
06-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
If you qualify for the state tourney it comes right up against the start of 2 a days. So in essence, with spring workouts running into 7 on 7 running into 2 a days the game never stops. And while 7 on 7 is not an indicator of your team as a whole it does allow you to work on coverage skills on d and on decision making on offense for your qb plus it is all running which keeps up your conditioning. Celina plays a couple of teams in some tournaments
for the varsity so first and second string get lots of work. We looked good last night and won all the varsity stuff. I did not watch the 3 jv teams. had other stuff to do.

Most smaller schools kids have to play multiple sports and it just seems like football is now taking up most of the summer also. I wonder how the FB coach would feel if some of his varsity players were playing select baseball the same time football season was going on. The FB coaches are putting to much pressure on kids to choose football over other sports, let the kids play the sport that is in season.

BILLYFRED0000
06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Most smaller schools kids have to play multiple sports and it just seems like football is now taking up most of the summer also. I wonder how the FB coach would feel if some of his varsity players were playing select baseball the same time football season was going on. The FB coaches are putting to much pressure on kids to choose football over other sports, let the kids play the sport that is in season.

I think that is always a problem. We have two boys that are all state baseball and all state backs. They do not play select baseball. I know that it is an issue but it is not a new issue. My son wants to play football and fall soccer. I am not sure how we are going to do it yet. But he is only 7 so it is not that important.
But I would put it on him to make a choice at a later date. Which is more important to him.

LH Panther Mom
06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
With both select baseball and 7 on 7 football being strictly voluntary, it seems to me that players have the choice of participating in their preference, or neither. (And IMO, neither is really "in season".) We have kids that are involved in both. If baseball conflicts, they miss 7 on 7. Last week it gave our backup QB a chance to play the whole game.

Even though 7 on 7 is strictly for fun with us, I'd certainly rather have my sons there than parked in front of the tv.

I_DONT_CARE
06-24-2008, 10:01 AM

:bigcry: :bigcry:

hookandladder
06-24-2008, 10:13 AM
You obviously do not have a son that plays both sports. Never been to a 7 on 7 game, I would think it benefits a passing team more.

BILLYFRED0000
06-24-2008, 10:22 AM
You obviously do not have a son that plays both sports. Never been to a 7 on 7 game, I would think it benefits a passing team more.

Celina has won the state cup twice. First time it was up against the big schools. We were all enjoying watching schools like SL Carrol ask "who is Celina". Point is, we pass 30 percent of the time. It has definetly helped us.

marler1972
06-24-2008, 10:43 AM

That league is weak I think Celina's Sixth grade team could beat some of those teams. lol But it gets the younger guys some experience.

marler1972
06-24-2008, 10:44 AM

It also helps the secondary and the linebackers

marler1972
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
I think that is always a problem. We have two boys that are all state baseball and all state backs. They do not play select baseball. I know that it is an issue but it is not a new issue. My son wants to play football and fall soccer. I am not sure how we are going to do it yet. But he is only 7 so it is not that important.
But I would put it on him to make a choice at a later date. Which is more important to him.

They play baseball during the summer though.

LH Panther Mom
06-24-2008, 11:05 AM
No I do not. That doesn't make me clueless. We do have kids that do, and if there's a conflict, they're either late to 7 on 7 or they miss. The same goes for select/summer league basketball. (And no, I don't have basketball players either.)

We've had the games vs Leander HS for years. And imagine this, but we have run the same offense "in season" for years, which involves very little passing. Our kids are out there having fun, defense is working on their skills to defend AGAINST all the passing teams, the team gets together for football (albeit "pretend") and lots of kids get the "play" positions they would never have a chance at "in season".

I don't go to watch because I love 7-7. I go because I love to watch my kids, even though most of them don't belong to me.

RedWhiteBlue
06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Who cares about baseball anyway?:confused:

ronwx5x
06-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't go to watch because I love 7-7. I go because I love to watch my kids, even though most of them don't belong to me.

Please, please don't get maudling! Is that a real word?:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

BILLYFRED0000
06-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Please, please don't get maudling! Is that a real word?:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

It is maudlin I believe. And yes it is a real word.

BILLYFRED0000
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by marler1972
That league is weak I think Celina's Sixth grade team could beat some of those teams. lol But it gets the younger guys some experience.

It is not as weak as that. Farmesville is not terrible at it and Prosper has done reasonably well. The rest would be weak. I thought Farmersville was tough because of their size. They were tall and long armed. Made it tough for our shorter defenders.

marler1972
06-24-2008, 11:41 AM
It is not as weak as that. Farmesville is not terrible at it and Prosper has done reasonably well. The rest would be weak. I thought Farmersville was tough because of their size. They were tall and long armed. Made it tough for our shorter defenders.
I was out watching last week and we just seemed to be a step ahead of everyone.

hookandladder
06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
No I do not. That doesn't make me clueless. We do have kids that do, and if there's a conflict, they're either late to 7 on 7 or they miss. The same goes for select/summer league basketball. (And no, I don't have basketball players either.)

We've had the games vs Leander HS for years. And imagine this, but we have run the same offense "in season" for years, which involves very little passing. Our kids are out there having fun, defense is working on their skills to defend AGAINST all the passing teams, the team gets together for football (albeit "pretend") and lots of kids get the "play" positions they would never have a chance at "in season".

Was not referring to your comment, I posted under who cares. So no need to hear your soapbox. So now I know you are a good fan of all the kids. Got the message.

BILLYFRED0000
06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by marler1972
I was out watching last week and we just seemed to be a step ahead of everyone.

I was impressed with some of the young kids. We looked pretty good. What I want to see tho are how the lines are working out.

LH Panther Mom
06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Was not referring to your comment, I posted under who cares. So no need to hear your soapbox. So now I know you are a good fan of all the kids. Got the message. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GreenMonster
06-24-2008, 03:26 PM
As a baseball coach, I hate 7-on-7.
As a football coach who's team runs the Wing-T, I hate 7-on-7.
As a coach in general I like the fact that the kids are out being productive instead of sitting in the A/C or sitting in Juvie. The pitch and catch aspect of 7-on-7 helps our kids hand-eye coordination. The touch football aspect makes them more agile. The man defense aspect teaches them to cover. I agree that the timing sucks, but at least it does have some positives.

DaHop72
06-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Who cares about baseball anyway?:confused: :foul: :foul: :foul: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

:devil: :devil: I do. :D

RedWhiteBlue
06-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I was just messing around. I guess 'Who Cares' is getting to me?? It is just never a sport I got in to. Of course, I like golf and most people hate that sport- so oh well.... to each his own I guess.....
:taunt: :taunt:

BILLYFRED0000
06-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:foul: :foul: :foul: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I like stand around. I get to rest some.

:devil: :devil: I do. :D

DaHop72
06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
:taunt: :taunt: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Here's 11 reasons why.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/Yankees2008.jpg

DaHop72
06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I was just messing around. I guess 'Who Cares' is getting to me?? It is just never a sport I got in to. Of course, I like golf and most people hate that sport- so oh well.... to each his own I guess.....
:taunt: :taunt: Don't change your mind in mid stream and even agree on a sport I play as well.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

DaHop72
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
:taunt: :taunt: Nobogey72 likes golf too.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/nobgey1.jpg

:devil: :devil:

RedWhiteBlue
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Nobogey72 likes golf too.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/nobgey1.jpg

:devil: :devil:
OMG- that can't be Bogey..... he has too much........ hair!!!!
By the way, I have a 7 year old who can stretch out a single at least twice a game!!! If he wasn't meant to be a lineman he would totally make it in the majors! My daughter LOVES softball, so I guess I have to sweat through those games for at least the next 10 or so years.....

BleedOrange
06-24-2008, 06:18 PM

They do play select baseball.

pirate4state
06-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Was not referring to your comment, I posted under who cares. So no need to hear your soapbox. So now I know you are a good fan of all the kids. Got the message. and we all get the message that you have a problem with the coaching staff at La Grange. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Matthew328
06-24-2008, 09:19 PM
If you don't think 7 on 7 helps you are out of your mind....LOL

As for having to do both, no one has to chose both activites are voluntary so if a kid feels his select baseball game is more important he should go there...but IMO unless the select team is filled with all kids from your school I'd say its more productive to be with your teammates and do 7 on 7

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Was not referring to your comment, I posted under who cares. So no need to hear your soapbox. So now I know you are a good fan of all the kids. Got the message.

That was rather rude.....the "quote" is your friend!! As "Who Cares" AKA I_DONT_CARE only posted the crybaby smilie....I figured you were talking to LHPM too!!!

'

hookandladder
06-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
and we all get the message that you have a problem with the coaching staff at La Grange. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No problem anymore, we have a great coaching staff in La Grange. Please do not talk bad about our coaching staff. All is well in LG. Go find someone else to rag on, I assume mod's can do that.

hookandladder
06-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That was rather rude.....the "quote" is your friend!! As "Who Cares" AKA I_DONT_CARE only posted the crybaby smilie....I figured you were talking to LHPM too!!!

'

Nope, guess I should have called him out. LHPM is OK, just like's to speak her mind.

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
No problem anymore, we have a great coaching staff in La Grange. Please do not talk bad about our coaching staff. All is well in LG. Go find someone else to rag on, I assume mod's can do that. So you admit there was a problem. Why don't you take your own advice.

hookandladder
06-25-2008, 10:37 AM
So you admit there was a problem. Why don't you take your own advice.

I will admit, in my and many other's eye's we did have a problem. This problem has been fixed and I would be willing to bet you or anyone one else on this board that for the next 5 years you will not see me talking bad about any La Grange Coach. Great Coaches on Staff. Stop ragging, dead issue. Move on. Last post on this issue.

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I will admit, in my and many other's eye's we did have a problem. This problem has been fixed and I would be willing to bet you or anyone one else on this board that for the next 5 years you will not see me talking bad about any La Grange Coach. Great Coaches on Staff. Stop ragging, dead issue. Move on. Last post on this issue. If I feel ANY coaching staff is being ragged on you can bet you (general population) will hear about it!

hookandladder
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
If I feel ANY coaching staff is being ragged on you can bet you (general population) will hear about it!
]
Super.

Ranger Mom
06-25-2008, 11:02 AM
LHPM is OK, just like's to speak her mind.

Well of course she does...why should you have all the fun??

hookandladder
06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Well of course she does...why should you have all the fun??

Your the bomb-RM.

warda
06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Hook,

I think a great coach is a coach that cares about the kids he or she coaches. You as a parent think any "problems" have been solved. I would say many times the definition of a "problem" is just a difference in coaching philosophy versus what someone as yourself has as their philosophy. In a town with so much tradition and expectations, it is difficult or impossible to avoid "problems". All it is is what you believe against how it is done. You say that you will no longer rag on coaches from LG. What happens if your son sits in the next 5 years, and someone else plays in front of him(right or wrong in your eyes)? Will you have the faith to believe the coach is making the right decision? Coaching is a tough profession. Win and the players get most, not all, of the credit. Lose and it is usually the coach's fault.

BILLYFRED0000
06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
They do play select baseball.
Not surprised. But did not know. Those guys can play anything they want to for the most part.

BobcatBenny
06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Here is a link to a Celina Record 7 on 7 article.

http://www.courier-gazette.com/articles/2008/06/26/celina_record/sports/68.txt

I like the way it starts and ends.

The Celina football team is too dominant for its own good.
At the current clip, all signs point to a repeat 7-on-7 championship.

:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn:

BILLYFRED0000
06-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Not bad huh. Well Brownwood did not get to face our backfield tandem as they were taking the ACT.

NastySlot
06-27-2008, 09:05 AM
its not that hard to do both............play 7 v. 7 and baseball in the summer.....most 7 v. 7 is league one night a week and some SQT's...............and baseball maybe league one night or DH's and then tourneys on the weekends...................it all comes down to choices the kids have to make sometimes on where to be and what to do.