PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever eaten Buffalo?

bwdlionfan
06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I was grilling steaks last week when a neighbor asked me if I had tried buffalo steaks before. He said you can get them at Whole Foods and they are a lot more tender and even have a better taste than beef.

44INAROW
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
had a buffalo meat hamburger once - it was real lean (I prefer "fatty" hamburgers)

Phil C
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I had some once in my lifetime when I was in college. It was good but give me beef anytime.

bwdlionfan
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking about going to Whole Foods, there is one right down the street from me and trying it. What about ostrich? I'm always up for trying new foods.

WHS02
06-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Yea I have had a couple of buffalo burgers. I really like the meat.

STANG RED
06-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I've had buffalo burgers at Ft. Woods in Colorado City several times (I think it's closed now). They were always very good. But I've never had a steak.
Some guy sells Buffalo jerkey in Sweetwater, out of the bed of his pickup, on the roadside. He's done it for years. It's pretty decent. And I think he makes a pretty decent living with it. He's even bought a second new pickup, and sets up in two locations now, so he must be doing pretty good.

3afan
06-23-2008, 11:49 AM
I've had water buffalo while down under ... tasted like tough steak

Maroon87
06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by WHS02
Yea I have had a couple of buffalo burgers. I really like the meat.

There's a place by my old office that had buffalo burgers. They were pretty good.

SWMustang
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
they sell buffalo steaks at my local HEB. They say you have to serve it rare due to how lean the meat is.

LionKing
06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I've had buffalo burgers at Ft. Woods in Colorado City several times (I think it's closed now). They were always very good. But I've never had a steak.
Some guy sells Buffalo jerkey in Sweetwater, out of the bed of his pickup, on the roadside. He's done it for years. It's pretty decent. And I think he makes a pretty decent living with it. He's even bought a second new pickup, and sets up in two locations now, so he must be doing pretty good. STANG RED : Is that the guy where highway 70 and 153 split south of Sweetwater. I've seen a yellow chevy PU with big black letters spelling ''Jerky'' on the side of bed, people were stopped on the roadside looking and/or buying.

rancher
06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
It depends on the cut of steak. Most buffalo are finshed on grass where beef is finished in the feed lot. Again it depends on the type of grass they were finished on and how long they were aged after slaughter. Remember it is fat that gives meat it taste, no fat and the meat is dry and has no taste.

CenTexSports
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I had kangaroo once. There is a place near the Memphis airport that serves exoctic meats when available.

I felt like a cannibal; being a Weatherford Kangaroo.

STANG RED
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
STANG RED : Is that the guy where highway 70 and 153 split south of Sweetwater. I've seen a yellow chevy PU with big black letters spelling ''Jerky'' on the side of bed, people were stopped on the roadside looking and/or buying.

Yep, that's the guy. He still sets up out there, but he also has an identicle pickup set up on Lamar in town now. I've seen it on Lamar a couple times, but he may actually move that one around some.
I think they are both Dodge pickups though.

espn1
06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Yep, that's the guy. He still sets up out there, but he also has an identicle pickup set up on Lamar in town now. I've seen it on Lamar a couple times, but he may actually move that one around some.
I think they are both Dodge pickups though. It's funny I went by a guy's house last Friday on my way home It said Buffalo Jerky I'm not sure what he drove but his house looked pretty ruff. I think it was on Hwy 153 just off of 70. I ate at bucks the other day it wasn't too bad. The bbq's about an 8 on 10. Where is the best place for bbq in the area?

STANG RED
06-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by espn1
It's funny I went by a guy's house last Friday on my way home It said Buffalo Jerky I'm not sure what he drove but his house looked pretty ruff. I think it was on Hwy 153 just off of 70. I ate at bucks the other day it wasn't too bad. The bbq's about an 8 on 10. Where is the best place for bbq in the area?

Ha Ha, thats not his house. Thats just an old gas station/store that has been closed for 30 years. He just sets up there.

Go to Bucks for chicken fried steaks and the salad bar. None better. But for much better BBQ, go just around the corner on 70 to Big Boys. It's about 2 blocks south of I-20, back off of 70 east about 1/2 a block (toward K-Mart's back entrance). Much better brisket and ribs than Bucks, and they have some amazing deserts.

SWMustang
06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I had kangaroo once. There is a place near the Memphis airport that serves exoctic meats when available.

I felt like a cannibal; being a Weatherford Kangaroo.

I was hoping to get me some dolphin and top it off with some clubbed baby seal. M-M- Goood!!!!

espn1
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Ha Ha, thats not his house. Thats just an old gas station/store that has been closed for 30 years. He just sets up there.

Go to Bucks for chicken fried steaks and the salad bar. None better. But for much better BBQ, go just around the corner on 70 to Big Boys. It's about 2 blocks south of I-20, back off of 70 east about 1/2 a block (toward K-Mart's back entrance). Much better brisket and ribs than Bucks, and they have some amazing deserts. Thanks I'll try it next time. A good CF is hard to beat.

LH Panther Mom
06-23-2008, 05:36 PM
The beast had buffalo for a mid-afternoon feast about 18 months ago. :devil:

super1
06-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I ate a buffalo burger in South Dakota this summer. It was a little dry, but had a good taste to it.

Diocletian
06-23-2008, 07:06 PM
They sell it down here at HEB. It cooks great on the grill, but I still prefer Angus beef. It just has a better taste.

PPHSfan
06-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Had a buffalo burger in Walls South Dakota on a Sturgis Run back in 93. Was lean but tasty.

SWMustang
06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
They sell it down here at HEB. It cooks great on the grill, but I still prefer Angus beef. It just has a better taste.

I'm an angus man myself

Trashman
06-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Had a buffalo burger once, it was dry and had a bit of a twang to the taste.:ack!: Not somthing that I would want as a part of a steady diet. :thmbdwn: :thmbdwn: :thmbdwn:

bwdlionfan
06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
The buffalo ribeyes at Whole Foods were $18.99 a pound, so I decided to pass.

SWMustang
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
The buffalo ribeyes at Whole Foods were $18.99 a pound, so I decided to pass.

That's why it's not a staple of my diet.

DU_stud04
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
only wings. those are great. i never knew buffaloes had wings..... guess everyone else likes them too :)

Tx Challenge
06-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I have had buffalo steaks a couple of times. I liked it a lot but it is pricey