PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a landline??

Ranger Mom
06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Or do you just use your cellphone??

After having a landline since I was born, I finally canceled my service when I finally got high speed internet. It was all I used my landline for anyway.....so I thought!!

I needed to fax something to my mother over the weekend and realized, I had no way to use my fax machine!!

Txbroadcaster
06-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Or do you just use your cellphone??

After having a landline since I was born, I finally canceled my service when I finally got high speed internet. It was all I used my landline for anyway.....so I thought!!

I needed to fax something to my mother over the weekend and realized, I had no way to use my fax machine!!

if ur printer has a scanner u can use your computer to fax

BreckTxLonghorn
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Look at eFax or RightFax. Then you REALLY won't need one.

I have RightFax at work. Any fax sent to me gets converted to a .tif file and emailed to me, and if I want to fax something out, I just send it via email to (phonenumber)@rightfax.com

AP Panther Fan
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I would probably get rid of ours except our house alarm goes through it. The City also has an emergency alert system that calls and leaves a message to homeowners. Pretty cool...so far the only messages I have gotten were about alzheimer's patients walking out of the nursing home, what they were wearing etc.....

crzyjournalist03
06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I didn't have one when I moved to college, and wouldn't have had one afterward except that my apartment had an exclusive contract with ATT meaning that you were only allowed to get their internet, which they would only offer if you had a landline from them as well.

When we moved to our new house, we didn't have a land line installed, and to be honest, I don't even know where the phone outlets are in the home. I get free long distance and most of my family and friends are on Cingular with me, so those calls are free too. I can't see a worthwhile reason to have a land line now.

eppy 12
06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I would probably get rid of ours except our house alarm goes through it. The City also has an emergency alert system that calls and leaves a message to homeowners. Pretty cool...so far the only messages I have gotten were about alzheimer's patients walking out of the nursing home, what they were wearing etc..... what were they wearing?:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
06-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by eppy 12
what were they wearing?:thinking:

Did you see them in Kingsville...lol

Seriously, people seem to escape from the nursing home rather regularly and I live close by. We have had helicopters circling our house and neighborhood many times....kinda scary. One lady they didn't find for several days out in a pasture with tall grass and I think she died of exposure.:(

Ranger Mom
06-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
if ur printer has a scanner u can use your computer to fax

My printer DOES have a scanner and I could have scanned it in and emailed it to her....BUT, I have the flat screen scanner and the document was legal sized, so I wouldn't have been able to scan it in its entirety!

Had I had a scanner with an ADF, I would have been okay!!

crzyjournalist03
06-23-2008, 10:13 AM
One lady they didn't find for several days out in a pasture with tall grass and I think she died of exposure.:(

I think I'd die too if I saw an old person expose themselves.

STANG RED
06-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My printer DOES have a scanner and I could have scanned it in and emailed it to her....BUT, I have the flat screen scanner and the document was legal sized, so I wouldn't have been able to scan it in its entirety!

Had I had a scanner with an ADF, I would have been okay!!

When I had a flatbed scanner, I would just make a two page document in an instance like that. Then I would crop page 2 to get rid of the overlapping verbage.

Ranger Mom
06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
When I had a flatbed scanner, I would just make a two page document in an instance like that. Then I would crop page 2 to get rid of the overlapping verbage.

I thought about that...but it was being sent to my mother, and that would have been too much to have to explain to her.....I just faxed it from work this morning!!

eppy 12
06-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Did you see them in Kingsville...lol
depends on what they were wearing.....sorry about the elderly woman tho:(

Necks_Fan
06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
We have a land-line for 2 reasons.

1. Our cell phones don't get service in the middle of nowhere and we don't want to have to walk outside to get service.

2. Our dialup (Exclusive to our middle of nowhere subdivision) goes through the land-line.

eppy 12
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
We have a land-line for 2 reasons.

1. Our cell phones don't get service in the middle of nowhere and we don't want to have to walk outside to get service.

2. Our dialup (Exclusive to our middle of nowhere subdivision) goes through the land-line. well in the field i am in, i only get dial-up too, fixin'to go wireless tho so i can drop 1 land line.

Old Green
06-23-2008, 04:02 PM
we have 2 land lines. Could do with out one now.

HEMOTOXIC
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I have both landline and cell. I rarely use my homeline. All three services were free while working for Comcast. But, I am still saving money by getting the Comcast Triple Play.

Ranger Mom
06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I debated on whether I should keep mine or not...and just go to the minimum plan...but when I realized that I was going to have to go buy a phone because I didn't even have one at my house anymore.......that was when I decided if I got along without it for the 2 or 3 years I went without having a TELEPHONE, I didn't need one now!!

piratebg
06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I have one for my DSL. I really don't use it all that much for actual phone calls but it's there if I need it.