PDA

View Full Version : Woulda coulda shoulda... What are the biggest games that your team should've won?

WOS87
06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I'll say it before anyone else does, but this is the "woulda coulda shoulda" thread... :D

I was just going through some of the WO-S individual game stats and realized that we were leading several HUGE games well into the 4th quarter only to let them slip through our hands in the final few minutes.

My top 3 for WO-S were ALL Playoff games in the Regional Semifinals, all 3 were against 12-0-0 teams and they occurred almost on the exact same day (11/29, 11/30 and 12/1)

#1 - Who: West Orange-Stark (11-0-1) vs. Eventual 5A State Champ Houston Yates (12-0-0)
What: Class 5A Regional Playoff
When: Friday November 29, 1985 8:00pm
Where: Astrodome, Houston

Score after 3 quarters: WO-S 6, Yates 6 with WO-S leading in Penetrations 4-1

RESULT: Houston Yates 19, West Orange-Stark 6

WO-S vs Houston Yates (Part I) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/yates85a.gif) -- Part II (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/yates85b.gif)

#2 - Who: West Orange-Stark (11-1-0) vs. Eventual 4A State Champ La Marque (12-0-0)
What: Class 4A Regional Playoff
When:Friday December 1, 1995 7:30pm
Where: Astrodome, Houston

Score after 3 quarters: WO-S 7, La Marque 7 with WO-S leading in Penetrations 3-2

RESULT: La Marque 18, West Orange-Stark 7

WO-S vs La Marque coverage #1 - PDF (Part I) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/lamarque95a.pdf) --- (Part II) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/lamarque95b.pdf)

WO-S vs La Marque coverage #2 (Part I) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/lamarque95c.gif) --- (Part II) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/lamarque95d.gif)

I don't know if it really counts as #3 of all-time but last year still stings, and I'd like to think we would have had a definite chance of being there in the finals vs. Celina....

#3 - Who: West Orange-Stark (11-1-0) vs. Waco La Vega (12-0-0)
What: Class 3A DII Regional Playoff
When: Friday November 30, 2007 7:30pm
Where: Sam Houston State University Bowers Stadium, Huntsville

Score after 3 quarters: WO-S 12, La Vega 6

RESULT: Waco La Vega 20, West Orange-Stark 12

WO-S vs Waco La Vega coverage (Part I) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/lavega07a.gif) --- (Part II) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/lavega07b.gif) --- (Part III) (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/playoffs/lavega07c.gif)

GreenMonster
06-22-2008, 09:11 PM
IP lost to Sweetwater three years ago in over-time. Sweetwater went on to defeat Monahans and play Tatum in the Semi's before bowing out. It would have been interesting to see Tatum's speed game vs. IP's power football that year.

bwdlionfan
06-22-2008, 09:25 PM
1998 Brownwood vs Wichita Falls Hirshi at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. Brownwood was the only team to beat 15-1 4A state champion Stephenville that year. Brownwood led this second round playoff game 21-0 at halftime, only to lose 23-21.

1999 Brownwood vs Weatherford at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. 2nd round playoff game, Weatherford had a runningback who went on to Arkansas. Brownwood led 35-14 at halftime, to lose 49-42. We were inside the Weatherford 10 with time running out, we completed a pass in the back of the endzone but the official ruled our guy had a foot out of bounds. Next play we hit a quick slant pattern and got tackled inches from the goaline. Receiver stretched out but didn't reach the plane of the goal. Ball was spotted inches away with time ticking off... 3... 2... 1 and we couldn't get the ball snapped in time. Time ran out, no timeouts left...

We are cursed at Shotwell!!

wildstangs
06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
1998 Brownwood vs Wichita Falls Hirshi at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. Brownwood was the only team to beat 15-1 4A state champion Stephenville that year. Brownwood led this second round playoff game 21-0 at halftime, only to lose 23-21.

Yeah, that Hirshi game was a shocker. Sweetwater shocked Brownwood that year in Brownwood. Both Sweetwater and Brownwood had disappointing finishes - heck we didn't even make the playoffs.

JasperDog94
06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
1986: Jasper vs. WOS

Jasper beat WOS in district but Dan Hooks out-coached us that game. We lost because of the "guard-around" play. (which is now illegal) :( :(

wildstangs
06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
I would say the most disappointing losses as a Sweetwater fan would have to be the 2002 Greenwood playoff game and the 2004 Snyder playoff game. Greenwood went on to beat Daingerfield and advance to the title game before losing on a questionable missed FG. Snyder got pounded by Gilmer a week after getting by Sweetwater. Sweetwater probably would have suffered the same fate as the Tigers.

Gobbla2001
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
this is a hard one for me... I'm always the first to jump on someone and say "you shouldn't have won the game, because you didn't, you didn't do the things required to win it, the other team did"... but since I know what you're talking about:

1998 D1 State Championship... we lost 14-7 to Aledo... we had the ball at or within their 5 yard line three times without scoring... these times were early on in the game...

but that's because their D held our O... and we ran the obvious option on the 4th downs... Aledo did well matching us with speed on the perimeter... plus they knew it was coming...

bwdlionfan
06-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Yeah, that Hirshi game was a shocker. Sweetwater shocked Brownwood that year in Brownwood. Both Sweetwater and Brownwood had disappointing finishes - heck we didn't even make the playoffs.

Yea, I think that was the season Brownwood was 10-1 before the Hirshi game. The one loss was to Sweetwater in Brownwood. That was Colby Freeman's senior year, and I remember the Sweetwater crowd chanting "Colby, Colby" as the game was ending. I believe we were both top 10, a lot of people including Dave Campbell had predicted Bwood to go to state and lose to Calallen that year.

Emerson1
06-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Forney vs La Grange - 2000 State championship

Forney vs Everman - 2001-2002

Forney vs Gainesville - 2003

Forney vs HP - 2004-2007 :D

The first 3 we all lost to the eventual state champ by 7 points or less, La Grange by 3 yards

wildstangs
06-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Yea, I think that was the season Brownwood was 10-1 before the Hirshi game. The one loss was to Sweetwater in Brownwood. That was Colby Freeman's senior year, and I remember the Sweetwater crowd chanting "Colby, Colby" as the game was ending. I believe we were both top 10, a lot of people including Dave Campbell had predicted Bwood to go to state and lose to Calallen that year.

It was a fun game for Sweetwater. We were coming in with a new head coach and new QB for the first time in 4 years. I remember that one of Sweetwater's players had lived in Brownwood for awhile and ended up having a huge game. I think he sacked Freeman twice and recovered a fumble. Like I said earlier, unfortunately that game was the highlight of the 1998 season for Sweetwater.

Gobbla2001
06-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I'll throw out another... I try not to be all sour grapes, but '97 Cuero vs. George West... we actually scored on the last play with :00 secs... clear as day... td pass... play got off in time, ball was caught inbounds and everything, but was called incomplete... the WR fell down catching the ball, but landed on his back with what seemed like COMPLETE control of the ball on the way down and after hitting the ground...

we were pissed leaving that place... but I figured it had to have hit the ground... but the film showed how unexplainable that call was... it was an obvious TD...

That was a tough game, GW had a damn fine team that year... GW went on to lose to Sealy in the third round 28-21, the next week Sealy goes ape-chit on Cuero 31-0...

I know three others Cuero folk might post about... but I don't know enough about the first (I was 8 yrs from being born), will get a huge arguement out of the second and the third I just won't bring up because the team completely handed our asses to us that last minute and a half... can't argue with that...

Astrosdawg07
06-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
1986: Jasper vs. WOS

Jasper beat WOS in district but Dan Hooks out-coached us that game. We lost because of the "guard-around" play. (which is now illegal) :( :(

What exactly is the "guard-around" play?

Lost to Gilmer for state, and the lost to Navasota last year.

Gobbla2001
06-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

Maybe the guard could go around to the opposite side of the line before the snap to make it a very-strong side?

maybe like what we called a "special"... where the tackle would go and lineup next to the opposite side tackle, leaving a guard and TE on one side of the center?

never heard of "guard-around"...

Gobbla2001
06-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

maybe like what we called a "special"... where the tackle would go and lineup next to the opposite side tackle, leaving a guard and TE on one side of the center?

brings back bad memories...

we didn't run "special" plays much at all on our freshmen team, actually hadn't ran it all season, but the coach chunks it out there the 8th game of the season... I was playin' tackle... the previous plays had been the same formation and plays, just to opposite sides (we had an okay lead)... I wasn't thinking and went to the regular side of the ball, put my fingers down for just a split-second and thought "oh crap", pulled back up to run to the other side... false start, dumbass...

bigron15
06-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
IP lost to Sweetwater three years ago in over-time. Sweetwater went on to defeat Monahans and play Tatum in the Semi's before bowing out. It would have been interesting to see Tatum's speed game vs. IP's power football that year.

good game. swater was down by 21 i believe and came back. i believe that IP would have beat monahans but could not have matched up with tatum. tatum had the size of IP but more speed than you can imagine. dont think it would have been much of a game

j_dog
06-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Jasper, almost every time they played WOS, and EVERYTIME Jasper played Willowridge and Thurman Thomas. :mad: Then next year Tomball. J had the lead 22-21 with about 2 minutes to go in the game, and lost 27-35. :(

Why did you start this thread anyway!? :mad: ;) :( :D

formermbcouns
06-23-2008, 12:57 AM
I feel that Marlin should've beat LaGrange in the 2000 (maybe it was 1999) semi-finals at Waco ISD stadium. Don't get me wrong, LaGrange played a good game but, talent wise, Marlin was the better team. And, they made a lot of dumb mistakes and managed the clock poorly.

bandera7
06-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Bandera vs. Bellville 2001. We lost our QB the previous week to an ACL/MCL/Everything in his knee tear. We had no plans for a backup because our QB was so good and reliable...the defense was great that year and still managed to hold Bellville to 21, but our offense, normally high powered, only scored seven. That year we should have won state.

pirate4state
06-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
Bandera vs. Bellville 2001. We lost our QB the previous week to an ACL/MCL/Everything in his knee tear. We had no plans for a backup because our QB was so good and reliable...the defense was great that year and still managed to hold Bellville to 21, but our offense, normally high powered, only scored seven. That year we should have won state. I know this is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" thread, but there is no way Bandera was gonna beat Sinton in the next game had you beat Bellville that Saturday afternoon. :tisk: :D

lostaussie
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Gilmer lost to Canton 61-58. had to be the most dissapointing loss as a fan I have ever experienced. It was an incredible game but it was also a crushing defeat.

wildstangs
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by bigron15
good game. swater was down by 21 i believe and came back. i believe that IP would have beat monahans but could not have matched up with tatum. tatum had the size of IP but more speed than you can imagine. dont think it would have been much of a game

Sweetwater was down 14. I remember telling my girlfriend at the time that if Sweetwater didn't score a TD by the time the clock hit 5 minutes we had no chance. 21-7, Sweetwater scored with about 5:05 to make it 21-14. Started to look similar to the game with Snyder the year before. Next up Iowa Park really blew the game. They had a 3rd and 1, but two consecutive false start penalties made it 3rd and 11. They then shanked the punt. Sweetwater drove down and scored. In OT, Iowa Park got the ball first. Sweetwater linebacker then made a great interception. At that point I knew it was over. I believe it was Kendall Carrillo who danced into the endzone to take the game 27-21.

Another classic Sweetwater game came at Stephenville when the Mustangs stole a game from Decatur. The Mustangs stopped a receiver from Decatur at the one yard line after catching a hail mary with no time left on the clock. Mustangs win 24-21.

jason
06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
last season tarleton scored 63 points in a game and lost by a td....

Maroon87
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
1993 4A Semis: LaMarque 33, Calallen 31 (LM scores winning TD with 3 seconds left)

1996 4A Semis: LaMarque 24, Calallen 21 (OT): LaMarque blocks Calallen FG attempt on first OT posession, then wins with a FG on next possession.

2000 4A Semis: WOS 27, Calallen 21: WOS gets the winning score on a long screen pass (!) with less than a minute left.

lion75
06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
(1)1992 Vernon and Southlake at Pennington Field. Vernon's 6-3, 250 lb tailback, Dexter Butler is stripped of the ball on the Carroll 3 yard line by Dane Johnson while going in for what would have been the winning TD. Butler finished the game with 288 yards rushing and Southlake ran out the clock for a 39 - 35 victory
(1a) 1989. Vernon loses the state championsip to Mexia 22-21 on a completed pass out of the swinging gate formation for a two point conversion at the end of the game.

trojan37
06-23-2008, 02:50 PM
1987: La Vega vs. McGregor in the Quarterfinals at Baylors Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco.

In the regular season, this district matchup ended in a tie, with LV having the edge in penetrations I believe. In the playoffs, La Vega had a kickoff return called back, and a fumbled snap at the goal line cost LV 2 scores, which allowed McGregor to win the game. McGregor ended up losing in the State Championship to Cuero, 14-7 (Robert Strait Era.)

Necks_Fan
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
1989????

Needville vs Mexia

Final 7-6 Mexia

Needville SHOULD have won this game by all means.

easttexas3a
06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Gilmer's loss to LE in 2006, a year they more then likely would have won and went undefeated to a state championship had they won. The 06 Gilmer team was better than the 04 team, and probaly could have blown away last years team that went 14-1. Amazing upset by LE.

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I know this is the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" thread, but there is no way Bandera was gonna beat Sinton in the next game had you beat Bellville that Saturday afternoon. :tisk: :D homer

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:20 PM
LH/Jasper - when LH was at the 2 yard line and ran out of time

Rockdale/Bellville 2004(i think)- Rockdale should have won but the stupid ass coach called a pass with 2 and a half minutes left and two timeouts when we were stuffing the ball down there throat.

GreenMonster
06-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by bigron15

This is exactly what all the Sweetwater posters tried to tell me before Iowa Park and Sweetwater hooked up for this game as well. "We'll kick your butt with our speed." Iowa Park was one 3rd and short away from stomping Sweetwater into the ground by 3 TD's before a couple of illegal procedure penalties, a terrible punt, and a huge momentum swing allowed Sweetwater to get a couple of late TD's to send it to OT and then just keep the MO rolling to get the W. I'm not knocking Sweetwater, those kids went out there and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat that night. It would have been a different story had Iowa Park been able to convert that 3rd and short though. Iowa Park had played keep away from Sweetwater's speed all night and would have done the same (or at least tried) to Tatum. No matter what you say, I still would like to see IP and Tatum matchup and see how that one played out. Speed vs. Power.

sinfan75
06-23-2008, 04:58 PM
1969- G-P 15- Sinton 14
Sinton throws int inthe endzone with under a minute to play

1990?
Crockett 15- Sinton 14
FG attempt hits the goal post and falls back into the endzone with 11 seconds. Pirates led the entire game until less than 2 minutes to play

Raymondville 35- Sinton 31 I believe
Int in the endzone with seconds to play

waterboy
06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
Gilmer's loss to LE in 2006, a year they more then likely would have won and went undefeated to a state championship had they won. The 06 Gilmer team was better than the 04 team, and probaly could have blown away last years team that went 14-1. Amazing upset by LE.
That was an amazing team. The offense was unstoppable. The only thing is they didn't have the defense to get it done that night, and someone else later in the playoffs would've probably exploited it too. In my opinion, the '06 team wouldn't have beaten the '04 team for that reason alone. The '04 team (except for the state game when the starters were not rotating as much as they had all season up to that point, and got TIRED) was amazing, and deceptively good. I agree that was a heartbreaking loss, though. My list of coulda, shoulda, woulda:

'84 Gilmer vs. Brownboro in bi-district - That was the best defense I have ever seen at Gilmer. They lost this game 12-8. Brownsboro scored on 2 punt returns for TDs. Gilmer had a first and goal at the 1 yard line with time running out - should've called a timeout (I still think they had one left), instead they passed the ball into the endzone only to be intercepted on the final play. Total yards - Gilmer 288 - Brownboro 68

'03 Gilmer vs. Atlanta in the quarterfinals - Not to take anything away from the Rabbits, but the Buckeyes didn't play very well that night and were less than ready. I think they underestimated them, but....

'05 Gilmer vs. Canton in an Area game - lost 61-58. Gilmer just couldn't hang on. Alot of questionable calls that night.

'06 Gilmer vs. Liberty-Eylau in bi-district - The defense, or lack thereof, lost this one. final 39-36

'07 Gilmer vs. Liberty Hill in the state finals - lost 38-13 (could have been worse). Unfortunately, the Buckeyes were not prepared at all for what the Panthers brought into that game. The Buckeyes didn't play that game like I had seen them play all season, no excuses, though, Liberty Hill was simply better.

Bull Butter
06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

I know three others Cuero folk might post about... but I don't know enough about the first (I was 8 yrs from being born), will get a huge arguement out of the second and the third I just won't bring up because the team completely handed our asses to us that last minute and a half... can't argue with that...

One of those wouldn't happen to have involved a certain team that resides across the bay from a nightclub owned by the band Pelican West???:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Snydertigersrul
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
One of those wouldn't happen to have involved a certain team that resides across the bay from a nightclub owned by the band Pelican West???:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Snyder's game last year against Celina when they made mistakes in the kicking game and turned it over and dug themselves a 14-0 hole.

gold_33
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
'06 Wimberley vs Hondo region IV finals- We were up 21-0 in 1st qtr and blew it allowing Hondo to score 42 straight points before we tried to make a comeback but lost 35-42.

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I was listening to that game on the radio gold.....didn't hondo have a badass RB?

WOS87
06-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
1993 4A Semis: LaMarque 33, Calallen 31 (LM scores winning TD with 3 seconds left)

1996 4A Semis: LaMarque 24, Calallen 21 (OT): LaMarque blocks Calallen FG attempt on first OT posession, then wins with a FG on next possession.

2000 4A Semis: WOS 27, Calallen 21: WOS gets the winning score on a long screen pass (!) with less than a minute left.

The 2003 4A Semis vs. Bay City was another heartbreaker for Calallen as Bay City had a huge drive in the final quarter to come from behind and win 23-21.

Game summary (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/4a/baycity2003.gif)

gold_33
06-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I was listening to that game on the radio gold.....didn't hondo have a badass RB?

Andy Werner i think was his name. He was pretty good and a workhorse. We just stopped playin and went flat once our RB Buse got banged up in the 2nd qtr and i think the team thought they had it in the bag from beatin Hondo 52-8 the year before. Definately a shoulda, coulda game especially since we beat Cuero the week before and had beaten eventual champs LH and LE during the season. Oh well....

Mustangpride09
06-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Snyder's game last year against Celina when they made mistakes in the kicking game and turned it over and dug themselves a 14-0 hole.

I watched that entire game. Snyder definately shouldnt have won it.

Maroon87
06-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
The 2003 4A Semis vs. Bay City was another heartbreaker for Calallen as Bay City had a huge drive in the final quarter to come from behind and win 23-21.

Game summary (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/4a/baycity2003.gif)

It was depressing enough without that one... :doh:

And yes Rita I remember the Hays Consolidated game in 2006 too...98 yd drive in 43 seconds with no timeouts with a TD pass as time expired. 21-20 Hays.:mad: :mad:

Actually we've got too many to list. I should've never opened this thread...:confused:

wimbo_pro
06-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
Andy Werner i think was his name. He was pretty good and a workhorse. We just stopped playin and went flat once our RB Buse got banged up in the 2nd qtr and i think the team thought they had it in the bag from beatin Hondo 52-8 the year before. Definately a shoulda, coulda game especially since we beat Cuero the week before and had beaten eventual champs LH and LE during the season. Oh well....

Buse actually got banged up on the 3rd or fourth play from crimmage when he sacked Werner for a huge loss. He tackled him hard, but hit him right in the hip with his helmet...was dinged out from that moment forward, even though they put him in the 2nd half. He still doesnt remember most of that game.

Regardless, Hondo REALLY showed class by hanging in there at 20 points down and getting it together.

pirate4state
06-23-2008, 08:56 PM
It was depressing enough without that one... :doh:

And yes Rita I remember the Hays Consolidated game in 2006 too...98 yd drive in 43 seconds with no timeouts with a TD pass as time expired. 21-20 Hays.:mad: :mad:

Actually we've got too many to list. I should've never opened this thread...:confused:

I didn't say a word! :D But now that you mention it.....LOL :p

Maroon87
06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I didn't say a word! :D But now that you mention it.....LOL :p

I call that a "pre-emptive strike"...;)

griff
06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Chris, The WO-S vs. Giddings game two years ago was a definite "woulda, coulda, shoulda" game for us. I can still see that fly pattern that Earl Thomas ran with the closest Buffalo 10-15 yards behind. Should've been an easy TD, but our QB missed it by that much...

Just one play that could've made a difference, but overall we just didn't execute on offense that night. We execute, we win that game...regardless of what happened at the one foot line late in the fourth quarter.

Hupernikomen
06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

The "guard-around" is where the center doesn't hike the ball but leaves it on the ground. The guard acts like he is blocking down and falls on the ball. QB and everyone else act like they are running a play toward the sideline and when they all are pursued to one side he jumps up with the ball and runs down the field with the ball on the opposite side of the pursuit. Cost Jasper the game and WO-S won their first State Championship in 4A.

LH Panther Mom
06-23-2008, 10:08 PM
LH/Jasper - when LH was at the 2 yard line and ran out of time

Yeah..... :(

Burnet, 2004, 28-27 final.....went for 2 and the win instead of the tie. Gotta do it, though! It was definitely a nail biting game. :)

Hupernikomen
06-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yeah..... :(

Burnet, 2004, 28-27 final.....went for 2 and the win instead of the tie. Gotta do it, though! It was definitely a nail biting game. :)

Yes that LH/Jasper game was a good one. I didn't know if LH was ever going to make a tackle in that game. Seems Jasper scored TDs the first 3 times they touched the ball. They adjusted and it was a very good game.

LH Panther Mom
06-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I didn't know if LH was ever going to make a tackle in that game.
:doh: :doh: Yeah, imagine how it felt from our side. :D

j_dog
06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: Yeah, imagine how it felt from our side. :D
Yeah, but you will be ready for us next time. ;)

GreenMonster
06-23-2008, 11:01 PM
The "guard-around" is where the center doesn't hike the ball but leaves it on the ground. The guard acts like he is blocking down and falls on the ball. QB and everyone else act like they are running a play toward the sideline and when they all are pursued to one side he jumps up with the ball and runs down the field with the ball on the opposite side of the pursuit. Cost Jasper the game and WO-S won their first State Championship in 4A.

In North Texas this play is known affectionately as the "Brownwood Trap." This used to be one of Gordon Wood's favorite trick plays. Also, a quick note: the center snaps the ball (if he doesn't snap the ball then everyone is in illegal motion), but the QB doesn't take it. The Center just holds it in the snapped position and the guard steps over and grabs it. (This play can also be run where the QB takes the snap and sets it on the ground behind the center for the guard to pick up, different strokes for different folks.) Once the guard has it he sticks it deep into his belly and bends over into a hideout position behind the center who is hopefully by now blocking his rear end off. The play action takes the traffic away from the guard and after a 3 count he pops up and heads up the opposite sideline with the center as his personal protector. It is now an illegal play in Texas. I do think it is still legal in Federation ball, and Oklahomo uses Federation Rules so therefore it would be a legal play up there in Wesuckville.

celinaorange
06-23-2008, 11:25 PM
For Celina fans and Celina supporters 2 games are of tremendous impact on Celina history and Texas high school football history. In the minds of Celina faithful the game that broke the streak of 68 straight against Dangerfield should not of happened. If we go for 2 instead of missing the kick on the pat we win easily as Dangerfield had not stopped Sharrock off the left side for less than 5 yards during the entire second half. We win and easily would have gone on and won another state title and extend our winning streak to a bunch more.....game 2....no doubt in my mind that we should of won the game 2 seasons ago for the State championship against Liberty Hill. We are suppossed to go down and kick the winning field goal at the end of the game, not LH. After all we had an all-state kicker and LH had not kicked a field goal all year. And how can an all-state kicker miss two extra points and a chip shot field goal in the same game. LH was destined to win the game, pure and simple.

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by celinaorange
For Celina fans and Celina supporters 2 games are of tremendous impact on Celina history and Texas high school football history. In the minds of Celina faithful the game that broke the streak of 68 straight against Dangerfield should not of happened. If we go for 2 instead of missing the kick on the pat we win easily as Dangerfield had not stopped Sharrock off the left side for less than 5 yards during the entire second half. We win and easily would have gone on and won another state title and extend our winning streak to a bunch more.....game 2....no doubt in my mind that we should of won the game 2 seasons ago for the State championship against Liberty Hill. We are suppossed to go down and kick the winning field goal at the end of the game, not LH. After all we had an all-state kicker and LH had not kicked a field goal all year. And how can an all-state kicker miss two extra points and a chip shot field goal in the same game. LH was destined to win the game, pure and simple. crybaby

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-24-2008, 12:10 AM
crybaby

Why do you have to be like that?

Hupernikomen
06-24-2008, 12:40 AM
In North Texas this play is known affectionately as the "Brownwood Trap." This used to be one of Gordon Wood's favorite trick plays. Also, a quick note: the center snaps the ball (if he doesn't snap the ball then everyone is in illegal motion), but the QB doesn't take it. The Center just holds it in the snapped position and the guard steps over and grabs it. (This play can also be run where the QB takes the snap and sets it on the ground behind the center for the guard to pick up, different strokes for different folks.) Once the guard has it he sticks it deep into his belly and bends over into a hideout position behind the center who is hopefully by now blocking his rear end off. The play action takes the traffic away from the guard and after a 3 count he pops up and heads up the opposite sideline with the center as his personal protector. It is now an illegal play in Texas. I do think it is still legal in Federation ball, and Oklahomo uses Federation Rules so therefore it would be a legal play up there in Wesuckville.

Thanks for the clarification. I was at the game and never really saw what happened, much like our defense on the field.

WOS87
06-24-2008, 02:11 AM

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/wos/jasper86.gif

Johnny 5
06-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Last year:

Rio Hondo vs Palacios :(

bobcat1
06-24-2008, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Why do you have to be like that? Because he's got gap.:D

I agree with celinaorange on the LH game 2 years ago. The kicker wasn't the only player off in that game.

griff
06-24-2008, 06:14 AM

A slight clarification is needed. The center actually DOES hike the ball, then the QB drops it in the ground.

BwdLions
06-24-2008, 11:54 AM

This is the way the guard-around play is ran as far as I remember.

Some people are saying the ball is dropped or placed on the ground. There's too much risk in losing the ball to the defense if the ball is dropped or layed on the ground. This is a very good explanation of the play GreenMonster. ;)

STANG RED
06-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
This is the way the guard-around play is ran as far as I remember.

Some people are saying the ball is dropped or placed on the ground. There's too much risk in losing the ball to the defense if the ball is dropped or layed on the ground. This is a very good explanation of the play GreenMonster. ;)

I've seen that variation of it, as well as a few others. But you are correct, putting the ball on the ground is very risky.

mustang04
06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I would say the most disappointing losses as a Sweetwater fan would have to be the 2002 Greenwood playoff game and the 2004 Snyder playoff game. Greenwood went on to beat Daingerfield and advance to the title game before losing on a questionable missed FG. Snyder got pounded by Gilmer a week after getting by Sweetwater. Sweetwater probably would have suffered the same fate as the Tigers.

Greenwood got so lucky that game......they were really good but they had so many lucky incidents.... I hate thinking about that day:( :( :(

mustang04
06-24-2008, 12:52 PM
and another game....our freaking 6-3 loss to Vernon my senior year in the playoffs...I never thought my last senior game would be like that:(

X21AAAPlayer
06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
In 2001 when Bridge City played Cleveland in Katy where the refs blew a whistle thinking the player was tackled while our player with the ball ran to the endzone on a touchdown that never counted.

WHS02
06-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey mustang 04, you graduated in 04 and I remember that sweetwater-vernon game. That game was very close. What was going on. Was it great defense by both teams? Sound like it was a great great game. that was the year we won state against cuero!!

DU_stud04
06-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by WHS02
Hey mustang 04, you graduated in 04 and I remember that sweetwater-vernon game. That game was very close. What was going on. Was it great defense by both teams? Sound like it was a great great game. that was the year we won state against cuero!! yall won the year after in 2004. that game was in 03

cshscougar08
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
2004 First round. CS vs. Marlin. 3rd down from about the 25. Jeremy Sanders literally runs about a total of 100 yards and eludes every one of our defenders to score a touchdown with 30 second left to win. Unreal.

2007 State Title. Taylor Higdon drops a sure touchdown pass with two minutes to go. Interception on next play.

formermbcouns
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
yall won the year after in 2004. that game was in 03

Yeah, I was at that game and pulling for Marlin, of course. But, I must agree that CS sure let that game get away from them. Jeremy did make a heck of a play, but that's what he was known for.

formermbcouns
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by formermbcouns
Yeah, I was at that game and pulling for Marlin, of course. But, I must agree that CS sure let that game get away from them. Jeremy did make a heck of a play, but that's what he was known for.

Sorry...was talking about cshscougar's post.

piratebg
06-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Here is a good question. Are there any games that your team has won but by all rights should have lost?

Old Tiger
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
2004 First round. CS vs. Marlin. 3rd down from about the 25. Jeremy Sanders literally runs about a total of 100 yards and eludes every one of our defenders to score a touchdown with 30 second left to win. Unreal.

2007 State Title. Taylor Higdon drops a sure touchdown pass with two minutes to go. Interception on next play. Jeremy was a beast

Maroon87
06-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Here is a good question. Are there any games that your team has won but by all rights should have lost?

1997 vs. Smithson Valley, regional playoffs. We were down 10-0 with 3 minutes left but scored 2 TDs to win 14-10.

DDBooger
06-25-2008, 04:02 PM
1997 vs. Smithson Valley, regional playoffs. We were down 10-0 with 3 minutes left but scored 2 TDs to win 14-10. man that was a close one, all but a foregone conclusion but then their defense finally got wore down!

Maroon87
06-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
man that was a close one, all but a foregone conclusion but then their defense finally got wore down!

We tended to do that to other teams back then.;)

DDBooger
06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
We tended to do that to other teams back then.;) it was frustrating to watch.

sinfan75
06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Here is a good question. Are there any games that your team has won but by all rights should have lost? How about Sinton vs. Hitchcock. They let Hitchcock score then had to score themselves to tie the game and win on penetrations. Voted as one of the top ten games of the 90's by DCTF.

jlg043
06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Dallas vs NY in the playoffs this last year

piratebg
06-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by jlg043
Dallas vs NY in the playoffs this last year

Might as well bring up Dallas vs Seattle the year before. :dispntd: :dispntd: :dispntd:

jlg043
06-25-2008, 06:31 PM
that one too!

bandera7
06-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by gold_33

I totally agree with you Wimberley. You guys should have had this easy. Werner was great and all, but he was not the biggest fan of contact. You could knock the football out of him, atleast when we played him we did. He wasnt what beat us, it was the quarterback, Hackabiel.

You guys were ridiculous that year too. I think that you should have won it all that year.

bandera7
06-25-2008, 07:23 PM

What questionable missed FG are you referring to?