PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M's DeAndre Jordan

Bull's-eye
06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Anybody see this freshman play? He is considered a mid 1st round pick in the upcoming NBA draft. He averaged about 8 pts & 6 rebounds per game. Doesn't really have the stats to be picked that high, but scouts say he is very raw with lots of potential. Looking for some non-biased reviews from the posters that have watched this kid play.

Bull's-eye
06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
One draft expert stated he could be the most high-risk, high reward player in the draft. Could cost a GM a job if he is picked too high or also if they decide to pass on him.

Old Tiger
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
raw and doesn't have an understanding of the game yet....thought he would do better in college honestly after all the hype i heard of him coming out of HS....

extremely high risk and it is a toss up on the rewards aspect

rockdale80
06-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Anybody see this freshman play? He is considered a mid 1st round pick in the upcoming NBA draft. He averaged about 8 pts & 6 rebounds per game. Doesn't really have the stats to be picked that high, but scouts say he is very raw with lots of potential. Looking for some non-biased reviews from the posters that have watched this kid play.

He has terrific size and potential to be a great player, but he lacks basic fundamentals and has displayed a poor attitude at times. He has shown that he is capable of making costly turnovers and has not shown maturity or leadership. I think it would be a huge risk to draft him high and have him flop with so many other talented players in this draft. I think he needs to stay another year or so to help him develop his game, but it is too late for that since he hired an agent.

griff
06-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
He has terrific size and potential to be a great player, but he lacks basic fundamentals and has displayed a poor attitude at times. He has shown that he is capable of making costly turnovers and has not shown maturity or leadership. I think it would be a huge risk to draft him high and have him flop with so many other talented players in this draft. I think he needs to stay another year or so to help him develop his game, but it is too late for that since he hired an agent.

I think he's showing immaturity and impatience for going into the draft now. He's not ready. I liked his potential as a college player, but I think he'll be a bust if he's picked high in the draft.

crabman
06-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Remember what POTENTIAL means. It means you ain't done it. DeAndre Jordan has not done much at all at the collegiate level. I would be the GM that passes on him.

WylieBulldog92
06-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
One draft expert stated he could be the most high-risk, high reward player in the draft. Could cost a GM a job if he is picked too high or also if they decide to pass on him.

He shoots free-throws worse than Shaq...but he is like a Vince Carter at center as far as athleticism goes.

Old Tiger
06-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
He shoots free-throws worse than Shaq...but he is like a Vince Carter at center as far as athleticism goes. is that potential athleticism cause I never saw much when at A&M

WylieBulldog92
06-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
is that potential athleticism cause I never saw much when at A&M
Is that Bias I smell in the air or potential bias?

rockdale80
06-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Is that Bias I smell in the air or potential bias?

Poor fundamentals and impatience does not mean he compares to Vince Carter. He has several years to go before he competes at that level. I too would pass on him and honestly do not see how scouts put him in the 1st round. I guess his height and size makes him alluring, but he has leaps and bounds to go.

WylieBulldog92
06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Poor fundamentals and impatience does not mean he compares to Vince Carter. He has several years to go before he competes at that level. I too would pass on him and honestly do not see how scouts put him in the 1st round. I guess his height and size makes him alluring, but he has leaps and bounds to go.
I said nothing of fundamentals or patience only that he is an athleticism of a Vince Carter, even as an A&M fan I fully agree with your statement though.

Old Tiger
06-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I said nothing of fundamentals or patience only that he is an athleticism of a Vince Carter, even as an A&M fan I fully agree with your statement though. Does he really though....even with great athleticism at the college level you should dominate at his height even if he lacks fundamentals...

Giving him a Vince Carter reference is a huge leap.....

rockdale80
06-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I said nothing of fundamentals or patience only that he is an athleticism of a Vince Carter, even as an A&M fan I fully agree with your statement though.

I think a few more years at the collegiate level would have helped him tremendously. He has potential and is very athletic, but I am not sure I would equate it to Vince Carter. Who he plays for has nothing to do with my assessment. I think there are several players that are joining the draft early that should have stayed in college another year or two to polish their skills.

big daddy russ
06-22-2008, 10:42 PM
He shoots free-throws worse than Shaq...but he is like a Vince Carter at center as far as athleticism goes.
Fair enough comparison. But free throws are only an added bonus for a post at the NBA level. Tim Duncan, Wilt Chamberlain, Wes Unseld and Bill Russell were all terrible FT shooters, but were some of the best bigs to ever play in the NBA.

He reminds me of a mix between Dwight Howard and Marcus Camby.

WylieBulldog92
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Fair enough comparison. But free throws are only an added bonus for a post at the NBA level. Tim Duncan, Wilt Chamberlain, Wes Unseld and Bill Russell were all terrible FT shooters, but were some of the best bigs to ever play in the NBA.

He reminds me of a mix between Dwight Howard and Marcus Camby.
I think Marcus Camby would be the best comparison to an NBA player, but if that "potential" proves true he should be a Dwight Howard type player.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-23-2008, 03:28 PM
The few times I watched him play he usually made at least one play that made me go, 'wow'. Itd be tough to pick him mid-1st, as it could cost a job considering the way the NBA goes through GMs. However, if Charlotte had a 2nd round pick they'd be smart to take him. He won't get much playing time, but he'll get a good mentoring from Okafor (not a stud, but very technically sound), and Brown won't throw him to the wolves.

Here's to hoping he surprises me and turns raw into proven very quickly.

Macarthur
06-23-2008, 04:13 PM
As they say in football, you can't coach speed.

Well, he has two things you can't coach: athleticism and lenth. He is a 7 footer that can run and jump like a deer. Those guys don't grow on trees. There are at least a dozen NBA GMs that will take his potential and think they can do something with him.

And some of you need to keep in mind, he is just a baby. He hasn't even turned 20 yet.

Now, there's no question he needs to develop and should stay at least another year in college. But, what are you gonna do. $$$

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
As they say in football, you can't coach speed.

Well, he has two things you can't coach: athleticism and lenth. He is a 7 footer that can run and jump like a deer. Those guys don't grow on trees. There are at least a dozen NBA GMs that will take his potential and think they can do something with him.

And some of you need to keep in mind, he is just a baby. He hasn't even turned 20 yet. neither has any of the other awesome freshmen from this class

Macarthur
06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
neither has any of the other awesome freshmen from this class

what's your point?

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
what's your point? that the argument is irrelevent about age

Macarthur
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
that the argument is irrelevent about age

it would only be irrelevant if all prospects developed at the same rate. Surely you know that is not the case.

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
it would only be irrelevant if all prospects developed at the same rate. Surely you know that is not the case. you made it seem like because he's young is the reason for his lack of developement...

Macarthur
06-23-2008, 04:23 PM
you made it seem like because he's young is the reason for his lack of developement...

:clap:

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
:clap: and if that was you were stating that means your statement of age is irrelevent because there are people his same age who are far more developed.

Macarthur
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
:eek:

Wow.

No, my point is that it is irrelevant as to what the other freshmen players development is because all of these kids develop at different rates. Plus, low post offense and defense takes longer to develop than other facets of the game.

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:35 PM
:eek:

Wow.

No, my point is that it is irrelevant as to what the other freshmen players development is because all of these kids develop at different rates. Plus, low post offense and defense takes longer to develop than other facets of the game. here are his strengths/weaknesses from draft express

Strengths:

• Incredible physical specimen
• Great size
• Long arms
• Freakish athlete
• Great hands
• Quickness in post
• Ability to draw fouls
• Ability to finish around basket
• Defensive potential
• Ability to hedge screens
• Rebounding ability
• Incredible upside

Weaknesses:

• Not productive
• Poor fundamentals
• Extremely limited w/back to the basket
• Lacks strength to hold spot on block
• Mediocre footwork
• Struggles finishing through contact
• Poor passer/Black hole?
• Atrocious free throw shooter
• Not incredibly active
• Defensive awareness
• Pushed around in post
• Not a shot-blocker
• Mental/Physical toughness?
• Maturity/Intangibles
• Long ways away from contributing
• High bust potential

Macarthur
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I've read a couple of those assestments.

Some I have read differ slightly on some of those points, but the overwhelming consensus is that he is highly athletic and has big upside. Along with that, the bust potential is high.

But keep in mind, there's only a handful of "sure things" in the NBA draft each year. In the grand scheme of things, the risk reward is not too far out of line for him to go in the mid-first round.

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I've read a couple of those assestments.

Some I have read differ slightly on some of those points, but the overwhelming consensus is that he is highly athletic and has big upside. Along with that, the bust potential is high.

But keep in mind, there's only a handful of "sure things" in the NBA draft each year. In the grand scheme of things, the risk reward is not too far out of line for him to go in the mid-first round. I would have been a sure thing in the league if I hadn't messed my knee up :(

Macarthur
06-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I would have been a sure thing in the league if I hadn't messed my knee up :(

Yep, if I had been 6'10", I would still be killin in the league! ;)

Old Tiger
06-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Yep, if I had been 6'10", I would still be killin in the league! ;) I didn't even need to be 6'10....my 5'8 frame would dominate :D