PDA

View Full Version : US Airways to charge $2 for soda, juice, water

Maroon87
06-21-2008, 02:01 PM
US Airways to charge $2 for soda, juice, water

Better get used to carrying lots of singles next time you fly. US Airlines is now terminating free drink service. No, not free mini bottles of Jim Beam and cheap Chardonnay, we're talking about all drinks, including soda, fruit juice, coffee, and bottled water, which will soon cost $2 each. Presumably tap water, which may or may not be contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria, will still be free.

The move is the latest way airlines are attempting to fight rapidly rising fuel prices in a disastrous economic climate. In recent months, the extra fees have come fast and furious. First came extra charges for your second piece of luggage, then came a charge for your first bag. That's not to mention extra fees for choosing your own seat, curbside check-in, booking using frequent flier miles, and the cost of the Santa Fe chicken sandwich.

The beverage fee is even more annoying than most, since you can no longer bring liquids through security at airports. You are really at the mercy of buying them on the plane, or at least buying them once you're in the terminal (which is doubtlessly no cheaper than on the plane). Alcoholic drinks will also go from $5 to $7. That's a lot for a can of Budweiser.

The fee goes into effect August 18, leaving plenty of time for the airlines to come up with other fees to nickel and dime their way to profitability. Can pay toilets be far behind?

mustang04
06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
i love riding on planes but i can do without the drinks...its not THAT big of a deal to me....plus, since i love riding on them so much, ill just pretend im paying for a drink like im doing something else i enjoy like sitting at a football game or something

Footballhudini
06-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I've always wondered -- What happens when people go poo on a plane? Do the let the poo out of the plane in the air? haha

JasperDog94
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
I've always wondered -- What happens when people go poo on a plane? Do the let the poo out of the plane in the air? haha Aparently you've never seen "Joe Dirt".;)

lepfan
06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
We flew to Cancun on AeroMexico...on the trip down we were served fruit and a drink (it was a 2.5 hour trip from DFW)...for some reason we were upgraded to FIRST CLASS on the trip home...we were served ham/cheese/cream puff/nuts/salad with a choice of different sodas/juice/whiskey/tequila/wine...not to mention the roominess of the chairs...

There were six of us flying together and I think they were trying to keep us together on the flight home...whatever the reason..it worked for me... :)

JasperDog94
06-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice.:cool:

Gobbla2001
06-21-2008, 08:56 PM
get used to these headlines until this headline comes along: "ANWR Now Open to Oil Exploration"...

STANG RED
06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
US Airways to charge $2 for soda, juice, water

Better get used to carrying lots of singles next time you fly. US Airlines is now terminating free drink service. No, not free mini bottles of Jim Beam and cheap Chardonnay, we're talking about all drinks, including soda, fruit juice, coffee, and bottled water, which will soon cost $2 each. Presumably tap water, which may or may not be contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria, will still be free.

The move is the latest way airlines are attempting to fight rapidly rising fuel prices in a disastrous economic climate. In recent months, the extra fees have come fast and furious. First came extra charges for your second piece of luggage, then came a charge for your first bag. That's not to mention extra fees for choosing your own seat, curbside check-in, booking using frequent flier miles, and the cost of the Santa Fe chicken sandwich.

The beverage fee is even more annoying than most, since you can no longer bring liquids through security at airports. You are really at the mercy of buying them on the plane, or at least buying them once you're in the terminal (which is doubtlessly no cheaper than on the plane). Alcoholic drinks will also go from $5 to $7. That's a lot for a can of Budweiser.

The fee goes into effect August 18, leaving plenty of time for the airlines to come up with other fees to nickel and dime their way to profitability. Can pay toilets be far behind?

Just another example of how wonderful life has gotten (as promised) since the shift of power in Washington 18 months ago.
I can hardly wait to see what terrific CHANGEs are in store for us next year. :(

Gobbla2001
06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Just another example of how wonderful life has gotten (as promised) since the shift of power in Washington 18 months ago.
I can hardly wait to see what terrific CHANGEs are in store for us next year. :(

the cause of this change goes back more than 18 months... we've been heading down this path for a lonnnnnnnnnng time... just like charging for carry-ons etc... they gotta try and make up what they've lost to fuel prices...