PDA

View Full Version : No Bibles allowed at the Olympics

STANG RED
06-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I heard just the tail end of a report a few days ago that mentioned something about China making it illegal for athletes or spectators to bring a Bible into their country. But that is the one and only time I have heard that. Have any of you heard this? And if it is true, I would think we would have heard a lot about it.

crzyjournalist03
06-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I heard just the tail end of a report a few days ago that mentioned something about China making it illegal for athletes or spectators to bring a Bible into their country. But that is the one and only time I have heard that. Have any of you heard this? And if it is true, I would think we would have heard a lot about it.

Christianity has been outlawed for years in China. Bibles have been illegal and considered contraband. I have a friend who is an undercover missionary over there right now. Basically, if the government found out what he was doing there, he'd be executed.

Ranger Mom
06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
It wasn't true!!

USA Today Article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2007-11-07-594460304_x.htm)

crzyjournalist03
06-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It wasn't true!!

USA Today Article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2007-11-07-594460304_x.htm)

interesting...perhaps the stories I've been told have been slightly overblown then.

STANG RED
06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
It wasn't true!!

Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

mustang04
06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Christianity has been outlawed for years in China. Bibles have been illegal and considered contraband. I have a friend who is an undercover missionary over there right now. Basically, if the government found out what he was doing there, he'd be executed.

gotta love martyrdom

Ranger Mom
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I read you can buy the bible in bookstores!!

crzyjournalist03
06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
I read you can buy the bible in bookstores!!

Perhaps you're just not supposed to discuss it publicly or teach it then...I just know that my friend basically erased his identity and asked for nobody to mention his name in connection with what he was doing when he headed over there a year ago, and I visited a church a few months ago where they had a missionary from China that talked about fearing for his life, and he didn't even use his real name as a result.

JasperDog94
06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Perhaps you're just not supposed to discuss it publicly or teach it then...I just know that my friend basically erased his identity and asked for nobody to mention his name in connection with what he was doing when he headed over there a year ago, and I visited a church a few months ago where they had a missionary from China that talked about fearing for his life, and he didn't even use his real name as a result. This is true. You can't talk about Christ in public. That is why all the Christians in China are in home churches. You must be very careful about sharing your faith. It could cost you some jail time and possibly your life.

etbu
06-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Have some friends that are over there and they are working with the goverment to place Bibles in many of the hotels. Reason? Bc when they have guest they want to be like many of the other nations. They work in a sponsered church by the goverment and alot of the stories you hear are fabricated. The goverment has made some HUGE concessions over the last ten years.

wimbo_pro
06-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED

What a crock. I have been to China a few times in the last couple of years...though I cant say I remember whether or not I saw a Bible in the Marriot I stayed in, I can say that that on all three occasions, I didnt even have my bags searched in customs. I am not saying they are free and open when it comes to tourists (like us)...nor am I saying they are our good friends and we shouldnt be skeptical of many of their practices...I am saying its not the same as it was years ago, and things are heading in the right direction for the average person over there. This aint your daddy's China anymore!