PDA

View Full Version : Down Times For Celina!

BobcatBenny
06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Its official ... Celina is going to go through some down times! :D

http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/sports/local_story_170122450.html

In my opinion: Summer is the time for heat and reflection

By MARVIN HOGAN, Sports Editor

Summer is a time for heat and reflection, as well as thoughts about the future.

With the youth baseball season winding down, my thoughts turn to the upcoming football season.

Since I have to do stories on all 10 high schools in the area, I decided to start a little early. That way I will stop giving myself an ulcer, just worrying about the special football section.

I made my first two appointments with area coaches yesterday (Monday), so I am not so worried.

It’s going to be a good season, I think. There are going to be a lot of firsts this year.

Coach Ricky Lock will try to right the Gainesville Leopards and put them back in the winning ways.

I think we all got spoiled the last few years and thought that the 14-1 or 15-0 seasons were just going to keep on coming.

We, including myself, thought that the “Go Red” tradition was just going to carry the team along.

But all high school teams’ talent base goes in cycles. Southlake Carroll, as well as Celina, are going to go through some down times. It is just a question of when.

The best high school team I have ever seen, the Daingerfield Tigers, had a long winning streak through the 1980s. They sent a lot of players to Division I schools on football scholarships.

However, in the last few years, they have been down a bit. But, a bit to the rabid Tiger fans is a lot. During the prime Tigers’ seasons, 9-1 was not acceptable.

According to several people in Gainesville, who know the Leopards very well, the class with the most talent right now is the soon to be sophomore class.

It may take a year or so, but I look for the Leopards to be back on their winning ways. Just give them time.

Why is that game so early?

You can tell that the University Interscholastic League has re-aligned the districts by simply looking at the Sept. 5 game against Decatur.

When I first saw the schedule I thought “why in the world are they playing a district game so early?” Then I realized that the “Fightin’ Eagles” were not in the Leopards’ district this year.

Football schedule is fluid in Saint Jo

Talk about changes, the Saint Jo Panthers venture into uncharted territory when they open the 2008 season.

Six-man football is upon us! I really wish I could see their first game, but with the Leopards playing the same night, it won’t be possible.

However, Gainesville has an open date on Oct. 3. That means I can see the Panthers, if they have a game that night.

Right now, the Panthers’ schedule is anything but set. According to Saint Jo school officials, the Panthers’ district is up from two teams to three. Saint Jo, Greenville Phoenix Charter and Irving Universal Academy make up the Division I, District 11 at this point.

This means that the Panthers will have to play seven non-district games. That is a lot to schedule.

It won’t be long until all the area teams hit the field for two-a-days, so it is nice to think about all the things that can happen during the upcoming season.

orange machine
06-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Every year is a down year for us until august kicks off.

solocam
06-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Marvin Hogan don't have a clue

charlesrixey
06-19-2008, 10:10 PM
we've had 14 consecutive 10-win seasons, but i don't expect that streak to end before the record falls

i've been a fan since we moved to celina in 1995-wow i can't believe how good we've had it for so long

orange machine
06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah we have had it really good and we all need to be mindful of that and not take it for granted. Ive been on the other side of the road losing all the time and its not very fun.

BILLYFRED0000
06-20-2008, 07:08 AM
I know I agree with ya'll on that. I have seen good times and bad. I started following Celina and Pilot Point back during the real rilvary days of the late 80's when GA came to Celina and left Pilot Point. It has been a gas. Do you realize that you have to go back to 92 just to compile 20 losses for the Bobcats. No other school has ever had it that good over the same time span. Unbelievable. Yet I witnessed a lot of it personally. WOW is all I can say. And when we finally go down the other road at least I will be able to talk about what was.

firstdown
06-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Quit sandbagging.
I have watched Celina forever and yall have the type of program and history that we in Argyle are trying to reach. A down year for you guys is having to play your starters in the 4th during a district game. Good luck and by the way I will miss the Bar-B-Q this year at the scrimmage. :clap: :clap:

garciap77
06-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Its official ... Celina is going to go through some down times! :D

:lies: ;)

BILLYFRED0000
06-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by firstdown
Quit sandbagging.
I have watched Celina forever and yall have the type of program and history that we in Argyle are trying to reach. A down year for you guys is having to play your starters in the 4th during a district game. Good luck and by the way I will miss the Bar-B-Q this year at the scrimmage. :clap: :clap:

Yes, I have enjoyed the Argyle Eagles as friend and foe for a while now. I really wished ya'll would have pulled that game out against Newton for the 05 title game. That was a great game. We had one tough district that year with state champ and runner up and Prosper losing in the fourth round. I don't know when the same district had that much going that late in the season. 13 2a was the bear that year.

bandera7
06-20-2008, 09:13 AM
25-3a had the same type of thing going for us in 2002. Div. 2 State Champs Bandera (3rd place in district), Div. I State Runner up Burnet, and my Liberty Hill fans, how did you fair that year? 3 or 4 rounds correct?

LH Panther Mom
06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
25-3a had the same type of thing going for us in 2002. Div. 2 State Champs Bandera (3rd place in district), Div. I State Runner up Burnet, and my Liberty Hill fans, how did you fair that year? 3 or 4 rounds correct? *Lost the 2nd round to Yoakum..... :(

bandera7
06-20-2008, 09:15 AM
ah I see. Well then we will go ahead and say you should have won...:D

LH Panther Mom
06-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
ah I see. Well then we will go ahead and say you should have won...:D
;) I see you got it.

cr180t
06-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Wylie WIns State in Div 1 (5 rounds)
Sweetwater gets beat in 1/4 finals by 1 point (4 rounds)
Snyder beat Sweetwater in 1/4 finals lost to Gilmer in Semi (5 Rounds)
Gilmer Wins State

In Dist 3 way Snyder Beat Wylie, Wylie Beat Sweetwater, Sweetwater Beat Snyder.

Total 14 rounds by the Dsitrict & 14 golden footballs and 1 State Championship. Not sure this was the best ever it was exciting

firstdown
06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
highjacked thread?

NastySlot
06-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by solocam
Marvin Hogan don't have a clue

this guy doesn't have a clue?.......just because he said "But all high school teams’ talent base goes in cycles. Southlake Carroll, as well as Celina, are going to go through some down times. It is just a question of when."

this guy should join this board he would be at home amongst us.......was he off when he said "The best high school team I have ever seen, the Daingerfield Tigers, had a long winning streak through the 1980s. They sent a lot of players to Division I schools on football scholarships.".....i think a lot of us on here that saw those daingerfield teams play would agree with him.