PDA

View Full Version : College World Series

pirate4state
06-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Just a series of "upsets" everywhere this year! Last night, Stanford took it to #1 ranked Miami 8-3. Buh bye 'Canes. :wave:

Tonight another elimination game at 6pm (ESPN2) # 7LSU vs #2 UNC. Winner will face red hot Fresno State the next day and must beat them twice to advance to the championship game. UNC has great pitching, but LSU thus far have been the comeback kids. I'll take LSU to eliminate #2 UNC, but then get beat down by Fresno State. ;)

In the top half of the bracket you've got undefeated (in tourney play) Georgia facing off against Stanford again, tomorrow at 1pm (ESPN2). On Monday, Georgia beat Stanford 4-3. In order to advance to the championship game, Stanford has to beat Georgia twice.

I'll go with history & say that Georgia & Fresno State will duke it out for the championship beginning Monday night. :)

trojan37
06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I have to agree with you that it comes down to Georgia and Fresno St. I think Georgia takes it all. They have been mighty impressive, although I didn't think Fresno St. would beat NC the other night either.

WHS02
06-19-2008, 02:44 PM
HA HA HA, that kid eating Mc Donalds looks like the michelin tire man!!!

hookandladder
06-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
I have to agree with you that it comes down to Georgia and Fresno St. I think Georgia takes it all. They have been mighty impressive, although I didn't think Fresno St. would beat NC the other night either.

I agree with you however I think NC has to much hitting and will beat Fresno St. twice and will win the Series. Just an opinion.

pirate4state
06-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Rain forces suspension Stanford now plays Saturday
Associated Press

Friday, June 20, 2008

(06-20) 04:00 PDT Omaha, Neb. --

The College World Series game Thursday night between North Carolina and LSU was suspended because of rain and will be resumed today.

North Carolina led 2-0 with one out in the top of the first inning when rain and lightning moved into the area and play was stopped at 6:27 CDT.

After a delay of 3 hours, 5 minutes, the decision was made to resume the game tonight.

Games originally scheduled for today - Georgia against Stanford and Fresno State against the winner of the North Carolina-LSU game - will be moved to Saturday.

LSU starter Blake Martin struggled for the short time he was on the mound. He gave up a single, a double, a walk and hit two batters with pitches. He was 0-1 against Garrett Gore with the bases loaded when play was halted.

"I'd like to announce that Mike Fox has agreed to give us a mulligan and we can start the game over tomorrow," LSU coach Paul Mainieri joked as Fox sat next to him at a news conference. "Didn't you agree to that?"

"No," the North Carolina coach deadpanned.

Mainieri said he didn't know who would pitch today but that it was unlikely he would go back to Martin.

Matt Harvey was scheduled to start for Carolina on Thursday. Fox said he would talk with pitching coach Scott Forbes before deciding whether he'll go with Harvey today.

Thunderstorms had been forecast for Thursday evening, and a line of showers was moving toward Omaha at game time.

"I wish the game had never started," Mainieri said. "I'm not second-guessing their decision. I'm sure they made the decision they thought was right. But somebody had told me they thought the rain was going to start within a half-hour or 45 minutes of game time, and no baseball coach wants to start a baseball knowing that his starting pitcher is going to have to deal with that.

"On the other hand, how do you not start a game when it's not raining?"

Rainy-day feeling: If not for some bad weather, Yonder Alonso would hold the career record for home runs at Miami.

The Hurricanes' elimination Wednesday left the junior first baseman one home run short of tying Phil Lane's single-season record of 25 set in 1982.

Alonso actually held the record briefly after homering twice in the first three innings of a game against Wake Forest on March 23. But because of inclement weather and a travel curfew, the game was called in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Alonso, the No. 7 pick in the draft by the Cincinnati Reds, homered in the Hurricanes' first game. In his final appearance Wednesday, Alonso struck out swinging in his first three at-bats and then had a single and a double against Stanford.

Briefly: Stanford committed only one error in its three games and has turned a Series-best four double plays. ... The team that scored first is 3-6 through nine games and has lost five of the last six. ... Stanford's Cord Phelps was a home run short of hitting for the cycle Wednesday. It was last accomplished at the CWS by Jerry Kindall of Minnesota in 1956. ... Fresno State has scored 18 of its 22 runs on two-strike counts.

College World Series
Who: Stanford (41-23-2) vs. Georgia (43-23-1). If the Cardinal lose, they're eliminated; if they win, the two teams play again Sunday.

Where: Omaha, Neb.

When: 11 a.m. Saturday

TV/Radio: ESPN/90.1

Story link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/19/SPG511CBK8.DTL)

pirate4state
06-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, LSU let me down last night, :twitch: :dispntd: :D but I'm hoping Georgia can send Stanford home today.

I'm really looking forward to see how UNC bounces back tonight after having to play through weather delays the last 2 days. Should they win tonight, they play again tomorrow night and then again Monday (if they win!)....good thing they have pitching depth or at least that's what ESPN keeps telling us!

We'll see....

Maroon87
06-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Well, LSU let me down last night, :twitch: :dispntd: :D

Told ya they should've pitched to Fedroff in the 9th...;)

pirate4state
06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Well Stanford give it the old college try (heehee) but came up just short in their comeback effort in the bottom of the 9th.

Final score:
Georgia 10
Stanford 8

Next up: Fresno State vs. UNC

pirate4state
06-22-2008, 12:27 AM
ruh roh....UNC forced another game with a 4-3 victory over Fresno State. Gotta retract my earlier statement...I like UNC's pitching depth more than Fresno.

Should be a good game tomorrow hope the weather holds up!

pirate4state
06-22-2008, 09:24 PM
:clap: :clap:

Sweet - Fresno State defeats #2 UNC tonight 6-1 and advance to their 1st appearance in the finals. :2thumbsup

I'll give Georgia the edge -- they have the pitching, a strong offense and an electric closer (even if he does need a haircut!) and have had plenty of rest compared to Fresno State.

Fresno State is banged up and have been through all their pitchers in the past few days! :eek: :eek: Don't know if their adrenaline will be enough to put them over the top, but I'll be rooting for them!!!

GO BULLDOGS! :D ;)

zebrablue2
06-22-2008, 10:17 PM
congrats to fresno st. gotta pull for the underdog...

NastySlot
06-22-2008, 10:57 PM
id like to see fresno state take it.

pirate4state
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
DUDE!!!!

Fresno State better have some offensive magic in the top of the 9th, but with Fields up....I just don't know!!! :mad:

First they gotta get 2 more outs!! :foul: :foul: UNBELIEVABLE

Maroon87
06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Nice rally by Georgia.

zebrablue2
06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
the closer for FS is quite stuck on himself. that smile on the 2 run homer was like- he can't do that to me. well they did, and got 2 more to boot. congrats to georgia on a great comeback. was a top notch game...

pirate4state
06-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
the closer for FS is quite stuck on himself. that smile on the 2 run homer was like- he can't do that to me. well they did, and got 2 more to boot. congrats to georgia on a great comeback. was a top notch game... yeah, i didn't care for that either ... what a moron!

i'd like to think they can bounce back tomorrow, but Georgia will shut it down tomorrow.

GreenMonster
06-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
the closer for FS is quite stuck on himself. that smile on the 2 run homer was like- he can't do that to me. well they did, and got 2 more to boot. congrats to georgia on a great comeback. was a top notch game... Come on guys, cut the kid some slack. Everyone handles adversity differently. At least he wasn't out there stomping around acting like a 3 year old over it.

pirate4state
06-24-2008, 06:02 PM
ugh....weather delay to the start of game 2 :(

Looking for Fresno State to tie up the series tonight :D :thumbsup:

pirate4state
06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
goodness this game is wearing me out :crazy1:

going to bot 7...
Georgia 10
Fresno State 15

:eek: :eek:

zebrablue2
06-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
goodness this game is wearing me out :crazy1:

going to bot 7...
Georgia 10
Fresno State 15

:eek: :eek:

I never expected this from FS. What a hitting display they are putting on.. Looks like there will be a game 3...

44INAROW
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
now it's 18 to 10 Fresno State - going into the bottom of the 8th... now they are "questioning" the catch at 1st causing the last out for Georgia (to no avail coach, but good try)
How about that missed ball in left field in the 7th inning (GA left fielder and SS both going for it - SS slowed down so the LF could get it and he missed it)

Maroon87
06-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Only thing missing from this game is the keg of beer in the dugout and some fat guy wearing a #69 jersey with "Hammer" on the back.

zebrablue2
06-24-2008, 10:43 PM
congrats to fresno st. the big one is tomorrow...

trojan37
06-24-2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't expect this from FS either. After watching the game I would like to quote one of my favorite cartoon characters by saying, "Ruh Roh Raggy!." Tomorrow night should be a good one.

44INAROW
06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I didn't expect this from FS either. After watching the game I would like to quote one of my favorite cartoon characters by saying, "Ruh Roh Raggy!." Tomorrow night should be a good one.

I agree Trojan - tomorrow night should be a great game - and from watching the last 2 games - I feel safe in saying - it's anybody's game.. Good Luck to both teams and GO Fresno State

Maroon87
06-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Did ya'll see when they interviewed that Beckam kid's mom from Georgia? She looked like Frances McDormand in Almost Famous.

pirate4state
06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
:cheerl: GO FRESNO STATE :cheerl:

Looking forward to the game tonight. Hopefully it will be more like game 1, but with a different outcome. ;)