PDA

View Full Version : Amigo Energy

Antec
06-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Does any one use Amigo Energy for electricity ?

Weve had it just over 2 years- paying 15.85 per killowart hour

On ABC affilaint in Houston -they said you should shop for provider and can call your current one for bettter rate

Anyway- called them- Not sure if person was feeding me the bull but said rate will rise quite a bit starting next month

So we signed up for a 3-year contract for a 16.1 reate

12 months was 17.9 and 24 month was 17.4

Share your electricity providers and rates

Our Bill was just over $200 for May

Old Green
06-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Does any one use Amigo Energy for electricity ?

Weve had it just over 2 years- paying 15.85 per killowart hour

On ABC affilaint in Houston -they said you should shop for provider and can call your current one for bettter rate

Anyway- called them- Not sure if person was feeding me the bull but said rate will rise quite a bit starting next month

So we signed up for a 3-year contract for a 16.1 reate

12 months was 17.9 and 24 month was 17.4

Share your electricity providers and rates

Our Bill was just over $200 for May Our utilities are city owned. My entire bill this month $197.06. That includes ELECTRICTY, fuel cost, water, trash, and sewage. I can't find my stub to see what my electricity and fuel cost were.

Additup
06-19-2008, 07:53 AM
I warned about this a few months ago. Electricity rates are tied to Natrual Gas prices so everything's skyrocketing just like oil prices (look for 20 cents per kWh by the end of summer).

In addition, some companies like TXU use a multiplier during the summer months. Deregulated areas of Texas (co-ops) are usually cheaper because they are non-profit.

I use Stream (and Ignite) as my electric provider because they pay ME. Basically it's like Mary Kay with electricity.

Stream Energy is the #37 largest private business in D-FW. (The Dallas Cowboys are #71)
http://www.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/20...rt=privateComs
Stream Energy is on pace to be one of the fastest companies to earn $1 billion in revenue (faster than Wal-Mart, Yahooo, E-Bay and Google).

Send me a PM and I can get you more information on how you can make money by leaving the lights on

CenTexSports
06-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Be careful, very careful of strangers offering deals that are too good to be true.

At least five of these electric providers have gone belly up over the last year and people that have contracts with them have been put with high cost providers (byERCOT) and their home electric bills could go up 3 to 5 times and there is nothing they can do about it.

It is kind of like the liability insurance you have to get if nobody else will cover you.

ronwx5x
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Be careful, very careful of strangers offering deals that are too good to be true.

At least five of these electric providers have gone belly up over the last year and people that have contracts with them have been put with high cost providers (byERCOT) and their home electric bills could go up 3 to 5 times and there is nothing they can do about it.

It is kind of like the liability insurance you have to get if nobody else will cover you.

In the Houston area the "provider of last resort" is Reliant Energy, which is just the normal electricity supplier here. We also have had a number of smaller suppliers go out of business. One was just last week.

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
most of Denton is on utilities provided by the city...our electrict bill last month was about $66, so if I remember correctly, it's something like 12.1 cents/kwh

Additup
06-19-2008, 09:16 AM

At least five of these electric providers have gone belly up over the last year ...

Part of the reason they've gone belly up is because Stream has a solid product, solid rates and a better marketing plan.

In less than 4 years, Stream went from the #79 C-REP to the #6 C-CREP (the only bigger are the 5 companies that were regional monopolies before deregulation)

Since 2001, TXU has lost over 700,000 customers. Not hard to figure out how they LOST customers and still MADE $2 BILLION last year...TXU jacked up rates on the customers that didn't realize they have a choice!

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
We aren't deregulated in Greenwood, have no choice of Electric companies.....my bill averages about $450.00!!

I HATE CAPROCK ENERGY!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Additup
06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We aren't deregulated in Greenwood, have no choice of Electric companies.....my bill averages about $450.00!!

Yep thats the other side of deregulation...
Ask NW Austin area folks why "Non-Profit" PEDERNALES ELECTRIC CO-OP chairmen are being sued. (Austin itself has city owned utilities and has great rates)

STANG RED
06-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Actually the whole state is deregulated, but it is up to retail providers to decide where they can and will offer services for a competative price. Rural areas just arent an attractive market to most retail providers, due to the small number of accounts.

CenTexSports
06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
If the state does not revisit deregulation, there will be more severe consequences than high electric bills. Texas has already lost numerous new business to other states because of electric rates and I know of at least three large companies that have pulled manufacturing out of Texas because of the rates.

The plant I run could have electric rates later this year that will be almost triple what they were five years ago. This is significant when the bill is over $100,000 per month.

RedWhiteBlue
06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
How much is everyone's electric bill running? We have had some really hot days here lately. Our home is approximately 2000 square ft. and fairly well insulated (I think). We keep the blinds shut and all the fans going and my bill was just over $300.00 this last month. I would just like to know how this compares to everyone else. We use Reliant.

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
How much is everyone's electric bill running? We have had some really hot days here lately. Our home is approximately 2000 square ft. and fairly well insulated (I think). We keep the blinds shut and all the fans going and my bill was just over $300.00 this last month. I would just like to know how this compares to everyone else. We use Reliant.

my house is 1650 sq. ft. for comparison's sake.

Old Green
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
In the Houston area the "provider of last resort" is Reliant Energy, which is just the normal electricity supplier here. We also have had a number of smaller suppliers go out of business. One was just last week. We are one of Reliant Energies biggest natural gas suppliers for the Houston Plant.

rangerjim
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm right with redwhiteblue - Reliant - 2200 sq.ft. - $338.

I can live with that. Was about $450/mo 2 years ago with TXU. Put in new energy efficient windows and a new A/C unit last year. Has made all the difference in the world. Guess if I didn't do that it would have been around $500 instead of $338. Plus with all the A/C and window work last year I got $750 back in energy improvement taxes on my fed return.

Old Green
06-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
How much is everyone's electric bill running? We have had some really hot days here lately. Our home is approximately 2000 square ft. and fairly well insulated (I think). We keep the blinds shut and all the fans going and my bill was just over $300.00 this last month. I would just like to know how this compares to everyone else. We use Reliant. Mine is 2000 Sq. Ft. living area.

CenTexSports
06-19-2008, 11:40 AM
My house was built in 1910 and I am a major financial supporter of TXU.

RedWhiteBlue
06-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rangerjim
I'm right with redwhiteblue - Reliant - 2200 sq.ft. - $338.

I can live with that. Was about $450/mo 2 years ago with TXU. Put in new energy efficient windows and a new A/C unit last year. Has made all the difference in the world. Guess if I didn't do that it would have been around $500 instead of $338. Plus with all the A/C and window work last year I got $750 back in energy improvement taxes on my fed return.
That's amazing that they are so close! We keep our thermostat on about 77/78 and don't move it at all and it stays pretty nice. Our windows are new also, but our A/C is ancient. Heck it sounds like the B1s at Dyess AFB used to when they would take off. I just pray that it gets us through another summer.:cool:

Additup
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
2500 sq ft. 2 story.
April $62.78 ( used 402 kwh @ 15.2)
May $ 130.67 (used 810 kwh @ 15.7)

Last year when I bought my house, my home inspector couldn't believe how well insulated the home was. He was so impressed he made me and the agent climb up to look at it.

As rates climb past .16 and .17 and Austin temps keep breaking 100 degrees, I can see a $200 to $250 bill for July and August.

Unless you're locked into a contract, your rates change EVERY MONTH with natural gas prices. (right now it's going up every month just like gas and oil)

Reds fan
06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Additup
I warned about this a few months ago. Electricity rates are tied to Natrual Gas prices so everything's skyrocketing just like oil prices (look for 20 cents per kWh by the end of summer).

In addition, some companies like TXU use a multiplier during the summer months. Deregulated areas of Texas (co-ops) are usually cheaper because they are non-profit.

I use Stream (and Ignite) as my electric provider because they pay ME. Basically it's like Mary Kay with electricity.

Stream Energy is the #37 largest private business in D-FW. (The Dallas Cowboys are #71)
http://www.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/20...rt=privateComs
Stream Energy is on pace to be one of the fastest companies to earn $1 billion in revenue (faster than Wal-Mart, Yahooo, E-Bay and Google).

Send me a PM and I can get you more information on how you can make money by leaving the lights on

Be careful with this, "caveat emptor", as they say. I was approached about this pyramid scheme just a few weeks ago.

rangerjim
06-19-2008, 01:34 PM
RWB - paid about $5,500 for a energy efficient SEER 16 A/C (I think that's how you say it), 5 ton unit. If I continue to save about $125-150/month - my estimate) it'll pay for itself in a few years. Old unit was 30 years old.

RedWhiteBlue
06-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by rangerjim
RWB - paid about $5,500 for a energy efficient SEER 16 A/C (I think that's how you say it), 5 ton unit. If I continue to save about $125-150/month - my estimate) it'll pay for itself in a few years. Old unit was 30 years old.
Ours is a 5 ton and is at least that old. It is a beast. It still runs well and haven't had any problems, except had to replace the fan motor earlier this summer and the home warranty covered that (thank goodness for those!!). I figure will hold out until she kicks the bucket. Thanks for the information, though!:D

rangerjim
06-19-2008, 01:58 PM
RWB - That's what we did, it was $100 worth of freon a year for a few years until she just couldn't take it anymore............I think they took the old unit to the Smithsonian for display

Additup
06-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Be careful with this, "caveat emptor", as they say. I was approached about this pyramid scheme just a few weeks ago.

Shoulda learned more about it. How many pyramid schemes are licensed by the state of Texas?

Stream Energy was licensed as a Retail Electrical Provider by the State of Texas on January 21, 2005 (license number 10104) and formally began operations through the initial enrollment of electricity customers on March 7 2005.

As of 2007, Stream Energy is in the running to be one of the fastest growing private companies in the United States.

Instead of marketing by using a commercial, Stream pays me to help inform people (like I'm doing now) that they can choose ANY electric provider they want (if they live in a deregulated area).

CenTexSports
06-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Then if I were the owners of this web site, I would send you a bill for $10,000 for advertising on their web site.

But I agree with my esteemed friend, this is a no win deal for those getting in on the tail of the scheme and that makes it a pyramid operation.

Amway operated in many locations but in the end, the owner was prosecuted for running a pyramid operation.

Txbroadcaster
06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Then if I were the owners of this web site, I would send you a bill for $10,000 for advertising on their web site.

But I agree with my esteemed friend, this is a no win deal for those getting in on the tail of the scheme and that makes it a pyramid operation.

Amway operated in many locations but in the end, the owner was prosecuted for running a pyramid operation.

I have no clue about this electric company other than what I have read since this thread started...BUT

It is not a pyramid scheme if they are not having to PAY money to MAKE money..right?

Companies can still pay people to have network of people under them that you get a % of as long as your not having to pay for that chance..if I am remembering the laws on this

Companies all the time like TXU give discounts or cash back if you sign up a friend

Additup
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Use any electric company you want - you don't have to use Stream. I'm just informing people they have a choice.

I provided a license number from the state and Dallas Morning News earning rankings, but you've given me nothing to show me it's a pyramid?

How could an illegal pyramid survive against the powers of TXU, Reliant, WTU and CP&L. The big boys could wipe out Stream with one lawsuit - IF IT WERE ILLEGAL.

They can't do it because it's legal...Or as former Southlake Carroll coach Bob Ledbetter pointed out "This is something so legal that it’s scary."

Reds fan
06-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Shoulda learned more about it. How many pyramid schemes are licensed by the state of Texas?

Stream Energy was licensed as a Retail Electrical Provider by the State of Texas on January 21, 2005 (license number 10104) and formally began operations through the initial enrollment of electricity customers on March 7 2005.

As of 2007, Stream Energy is in the running to be one of the fastest growing private companies in the United States.

Instead of marketing by using a commercial, Stream pays me to help inform people (like I'm doing now) that they can choose ANY electric provider they want (if they live in a deregulated area).

Call it what you will, there are many loopholes to dance around the pyramid scheme. But it still is a pyramid scheme business model.

I needed no further research after hearing the sales pitch, I was not born yesterday. Red flags to pyramid schemes:
1. The ol' pay us $329 to sign up.
2. The requirement to sign up 3 new associates.
3. Get 10 more accounts recruited and your on your way to thousands of dollars of income for doing nothing but telling people about the company.

Walk out after you hear red flag #1 and make sure as I did that the rep pays for lunch, dinner or whatever for wasting your time!

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I use Stream Energy and my current 2 year contract rate is 0.1185.

I think TxBroadcaster is correct in the fact that the people who are promoting and signing folks up do not have to pay anyone, they only reap the benefits based on production (new customers).

BreckTxLonghorn
06-19-2008, 03:51 PM

It's Multi Level Marketing, which is totally legal. It can easily get confused with pyramid schemes, but the big kicker is that there is a service that is provided. In this case, it's basically one big refer-a-friend, with people who referred people that refer people reaping the greatest benefit.

I'm still not totally sold by the company--I haven't done enough research to fully check and see if I trust it. But all in all, its looks to be perfectly ok.

Rocket Dad
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Looking for better rates. We have Reliant, 3100 sf house, bill was 450.00 last month.

Reds fan
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
It's Multi Level Marketing, which is totally legal. It can easily get confused with pyramid schemes, but the big kicker is that there is a service that is provided. In this case, it's basically one big refer-a-friend, with people who referred people that refer people reaping the greatest benefit.

I'm still not totally sold by the company--I haven't done enough research to fully check and see if I trust it. But all in all, its looks to be perfectly ok.

Never said it was illegal, it is fine to purchase your power from whatever company you choose. However, being a MLM just makes it a legal pyramid business model.

Signing up with Stream simply to save on electricity cost is great, joining their team to recruit and hopefully make money is a longshot at best.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Never said it was illegal, it is fine to purchase your power from whatever company you choose. However, being a MLM just makes it a legal pyramid business model.

Signing up with Stream simply to save on electricity cost is great, joining their team to recruit and hopefully make money is a longshot at best.

And that, I'll agree with:)

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Funny thing...I just took a phone call from a customer that was complaining about their electric bill and the fact that Texas Power just increased their rate from .12 to .22 :eek: Her bill was $1200.00!

Talk about a huge jump! I told her to take a look at the Power to Choose website.

Additup
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Not sure I agree with your MLM take, but I'll agree with most of your last statement.

It's definitely NOT a winning lottery ticket, but I have been able to pay for my electric bills the past few months with what I've earned. (and you did get a free meal out of it from someone...:D )

Additup
06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Funny thing...I just took a phone call from a customer that was complaining about their electric bill and the fact that Texas Power just increased their rate from .12 to .22 :eek: Her bill was $1200.00!

Talk about a huge jump! I told her to take a look at the Power to Choose website.

now you're informing 'em! The site's address is sponsored by the state so there's NO BIAS:

www.powertochoose.com

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I can help explain if something's confusing in comparing rates of different companies. It took me a while to figure it out a few months ago.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Yep thats the other side of deregulation...
Ask NW Austin area folks why "Non-Profit" PEDERNALES ELECTRIC CO-OP chairmen are being sued. (Austin itself has city owned utilities and has great rates)

I am thinking that this might be the company my sister has in the Cedar Park / Leander area. Is that correct?

Additup
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Yep. Here's a link to their service area.

http://www.pec.coop/Locations/ServiceMap.aspx

GreenMonster
06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Ironically, one of the big whigs at Stream is Bob Ledbetter. You might be more familiar with him from his days as Head Coach and Athletic Director at Southlake Carrol during their 8 year 3A tenure. Just a little FYI.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Yep. Here's a link to their service area.

http://www.pec.coop/Locations/ServiceMap.aspx

Hmmm....rate didn't appear to be too bad...for a residence it is .09618/kwh plus a $20.00 monthly service availability charge (unless I missing some of the fine print)