PDA

View Full Version : World Series beginning

44INAROW
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
anyone know if this is true?

The reason the World Series is called what it is is not because it is a World's championship, which it never claimed to be. There is no apostrophe after World. It is called that because it was originally sponsored by the New York World, a daily newspaper now defunct, although the game goes on.

SintonFan_inAustin
06-18-2008, 09:33 PM
from National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, a 1999 article noting that:
When the World Series between the National and American leagues began in 1903, the owners borrowed the name from the world championship series held in the 1880's between the National and the American Association. New York World newspaper never was a sponser, only thing it did was report sports results. ;)

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
on a semi-related note, I never realized that the Winston Cup was sponsored by a cigarette company until they changed the name a couple of years ago.

I always thought that Winston must have been the name of someone who was involved in either the trophy creation or the sport origination.

pirate4state
06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
on a semi-related note, I never realized that the Winston Cup was sponsored by a cigarette company until they changed the name a couple of years ago.

I always thought that Winston must have been the name of someone who was involved in either the trophy creation or the sport origination.

I'm sure you didn't mean this to be funny, but ROFL! :D