PDA

View Full Version : Black Gold on Tru Tonight at 9

sinfan75
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
for all you oilfield hands out there. reality show about life on the drilling rigs out in west texas. i've been watching the previews and quite frankly i had to laugh. i spent 12 years working on rigs in the late 70's and through the 80's and seeing all the mud spraying everywhere in the previews it oughta make for some comical stuff. that stuff just never happened unless there were downhole problems.

Ranger Mom
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
It's on "TruTV??"

I don't get that....but I did find out that it will be replayed on TNT tomorrow!!

sinfan75
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Yep trutv tonight. Be a nice change from all the cop shows that wasn't supposed to be on there.

Ranger Mom
06-18-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm curious to see it.....both my sons are roughnecks and they can't imagine a "reality" show being about THAT!!

sinfan75
06-18-2008, 08:22 PM
They need to see it. I don't know about West Texas but spinnin chains ain't even used on rigs down south unless there's no other way. Maybe thats why the guy chunkin the chain couldn't get the it past the bottom tool joint.:D

Ranger Mom
06-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
They need to see it. I don't know about West Texas but spinnin chains ain't even used on rigs down south unless there's no other way. Maybe thats why the guy chunkin the chain couldn't get the it past the bottom tool joint.:D

Throwing the chain is my boys favorite thing. One of them was on a rig that had the "iron roughneck" (I think that is what it was called) and it took a lot of work out it....he hated it!!

SintonFan_inAustin
06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
do you know what channel that is on for Direct TV, i think my father in law would like to see that.

eagles_victory
06-18-2008, 08:48 PM

rockdale80
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I loved working the floor and throwing the chain. I think I was pretty good at it too. There is only one way to do it right or you wont get it all the way over the bell. As strange as it sounds, I miss being out there on the rig. Some good times with good people.

Ranger Mom
06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I loved working the floor and throwing the chain. I think I was pretty good at it too. There is only one way to do it right or you wont get it all the way over the bell. As strange as it sounds, I miss being out there on the rig. Some good times with good people.

Good money too!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

rockdale80
06-18-2008, 10:44 PM
hahahahaha.... Left the pumps on. That is a worm move. hahahahaha

GreenMonster
06-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's on "TruTV??"

This was previously known as Court TV

sinfan75
06-19-2008, 05:27 AM
wasn't too bad a show. Don't know why they were using the chain to make up the kelly. Guess the kelly spinner on all 3 rigs. We had a version of the iron roughneck on a rig i was on in the early 80's. had beat the jaws off the pipe with a sledge hammer. did not work at all. went back to chunkin the chain. but geez 6 hrs to trip 1600 ft. of pipe? thats sloooowwwwwwwwwww.:D

eppy 12
06-19-2008, 08:25 AM
look forward to it, gonna be a good show i think.:)

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
My boys and ex-husband (who is their tool pusher) watched it and thought it was just plain stupid!!

I asked them why a Patterson Drilling rig wasn't showcased, he they said because Patterson is too safe and won't let them be stupid for a TV show.

They also got a kick about the race for "Black Gold"....drilling companies just drill a hole, they have nothing to do with the oil, their only job is to drill a hole and then go on to the next hole.

Another funny note....one of the driller's they showed is one my ex worked with and one who should have been sitting alongside him in prison, since they were both involved in the same thing....it's amazing what can happen if your mother is a judge and your daddy is a police officer!!

I haven't seen the show yet, but my co-worker (whose husband is a supervisor with Patterson Drilling) told me I had to watch it...she said they laughed their butts off all the way through it.

I never expected it to be a comedy!!:D

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
My boys and ex-husband (who is their tool pusher) watched it and thought it was just plain stupid!!

I asked them why a Patterson Drilling rig wasn't showcased, he they said because Patterson is too safe and won't let them be stupid for a TV show.

They also got a kick about the race for "Black Gold"....drilling companies just drill a hole, they have nothing to do with the oil, their only job is to drill a hole and then go on to the next hole.

Another funny note....one of the driller's they showed is one my ex worked with and one who should have been sitting alongside him in prison, since they were both involved in the same thing....it's amazing what can happen if your mother is a judge and your daddy is a police officer!!

I haven't seen the show yet, but my co-worker (whose husband is a supervisor with Patterson Drilling) told me I had to watch it...she said they laughed their butts off all the way through it.

I never expected it to be a comedy!!:D

so what you're saying is that "Tru Tv" is lying???

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
so what you're saying is that "Tru Tv" is lying???

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lying about what?:confused:

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Lying about what?:confused:

isn't it supposed to be a reality show?

If they're doing things that they wouldn't normally do just for TV, it's not reality. It's acting.

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
isn't it supposed to be a reality show?

If they're doing things that they wouldn't normally do just for TV, it's not reality. It's acting.

I just think it's cheesy the way they advertise the show......like the drilling companies are drilling for the oil! All they do is drill the dang hole in the ground, there is WAY more involved in getting the oil out. They get paid the same whether it makes a well or is a dry hole. The drilling companies are long gone by the time it is determined whether they have a well or not!!

As far as the safety goes......there is no way I would work for at least 2 of those companies...one of them has the reputation of being the must UNSAFE drilling company in the Permian Basin!!

Phantom Stang
06-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
[B}seeing all the mud spraying everywhere in the previews it oughta make for some comical stuff. that stuff just never happened unless there were downhole problems. [/B]
Maybe the driller left the pumps running for "dramatic effect".:doh:

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Maybe the driller left the pumps running for "dramatic effect".:doh:

Ya think??

:thinking:

BILLYFRED0000
06-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Good money too!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

It is that. They should show some off shore rigs too. My brother is a paramedic on one. We both grew up in roughneck country and I worked at a drilling supply company. Delievered drill pipe and well heads and such. My granddad used to take us to his field in Bronte to work and occasionally we got to see some real well work like when a pumpjack would bust a seal. Boy does that crude stink..... He had heater treaters at his shack and there was even a small natural gas refinery and pumpstation. Of course that was back in the 70's.

CHS_CG
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I just think it's cheesy the way they advertise the show......like the drilling companies are drilling for the oil! All they do is drill the dang hole in the ground, there is WAY more involved in getting the oil out. They get paid the same whether it makes a well or is a dry hole. The drilling companies are long gone by the time it is determined whether they have a well or not!!

As far as the safety goes......there is no way I would work for at least 2 of those companies...one of them has the reputation of being the must UNSAFE drilling company in the Permian Basin!!

I had a feeling Chad wouldnt like the show, just because he works on a rig and knows what goes on up there. It does seem like its a lot different then what he and you have discribed to me. I also can't believe a drilling company would allow camera crews on the rig. That job is hard and dangerous enough without having some damn camera in your crews face. It is pretty funny to watch though... and a few of those roughnecks are pretty damn cute too!

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I had a feeling Chad wouldnt like the show, just because he works on a rig and knows what goes on up there. It does seem like its a lot different then what he and you have discribed to me. I also can't believe a drilling company would allow camera crews on the rig. That job is hard and dangerous enough without having some damn camera in your crews face. It is pretty funny to watch though... and a few of those roughnecks are pretty damn cute too!

I haven't seen it yet, but the girl I work with said she has known one of the guys "starring" on the show for 20+ years and he NEVER wears a cowboy hat....all the sudden he's on TV and wearing a hat like he's done it all his life!!:doh:

BILLYFRED0000
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but the girl I work with said she has known one of the guys "starring" on the show for 20+ years and he NEVER wears a cowboy hat....all the sudden he's on TV and wearing a hat like he's done it all his life!!:doh:

Ya think they played around with it some.....:rolleyes:

pirate4state
06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
and a few of those roughnecks are pretty damn cute too! that was my main question...did they find some hotties to be "roughnecks" so at least it's entertaining for women to watch! :D

Old Green
06-19-2008, 11:27 AM

I never expected it to be a comedy!!:D I'm going to have to watch this show. I have several friends who work for Patterson Drilling.

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
I'm going to have to watch this show. I have several friends who work for Patterson Drilling.

Patterson isn't one of the rigs.....they are too safety conscious to do something like this.

It is a Viking Rig, a Big Dog rig...and an Adobe Rig.

(Adobe is owned by my boss's brother)

crzyjournalist03
06-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Patterson isn't one of the rigs.....they are too safety conscious to do something like this.

(Adobe is owned by my boss's brother)

are your boss and his brother relatively the same size? If so, you could claim that you buy underwear for a guy that has a company that's on TV, because for all you know, your boss could give some of it to his brother.

Old Green
06-19-2008, 11:34 AM

(Adobe is owned by my boss's brother) OK. I miss read it. I know Patterson is one of the safest companies to work for.

BILLYFRED0000
06-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Ya know this will be kinda funny it sounds like. Maybe I will call some of my buddies from school. Most of the guys I used to run around with spent some time on the rigs. I was around them on some jobs but the rig was not my job. I think we will get a case or two of beer get a little drunk and then watch the show and LOAoff..........

Ranger Mom
06-19-2008, 11:42 AM
I was reading a "review" on this show...and the guy that was doing the review said the roughnecks (blue collars workers) and the millionaires (the one's who are paying to have the wells drilled) all the have same past time.......after work they all drink beer and shoot guns!

I don't know of a single roughneck that goes and shoots guns when he gets off work...and I know quite a few roughnecks.

I hate the persona that Hollyweird always think they have to make about Texans!!:rolleyes:

sinfan75
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Hell I felt sorry for Peanut. Worm chainhand lets go of the spinnin chain and he gets popped in the head. I did that the very 1st time i chunked a chain. thwe chain come around and hit this coonass right inthe jaw. he very nicely said if i ever let go of that chain again he was gonna kick my ass. i never let go of chain after that.:D

BILLYFRED0000
06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Ya know this will be kinda funny it sounds like. Maybe I will call some of my buddies from school. Most of the guys I used to run around with spent some time on the rigs. I was around them on some jobs but the rig was not my job. I think we will get a case or two of beer get a little drunk and then watch the show and LOAoff..........

Well we used to shoot guns. But we all grew up with guns out in the sticks. We all took our hounds out coon huntin or went quail or dove huntin or just shot at varmints or sometimes at cans. Go figure.

Trashman
06-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I liked the show, but thought is was a bit silly. My cousin is an accountant with one of the companies. After watching the show I told her that her HR department needed to review their hiring practices. To which she replied. "Hey... we fired him, didn't we?"

If it weren’t for the price of oil this show would not be on TV. :D